What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official FFA Lotto Club *** (4 Viewers)

How many double PBall # tix did u guys buy (power # matches one of the 5)That's where the real $$$ is
Wat?
30% of tickets are not quick draw (aka random), there's an 8.8% chance that a white ball matches a given powerball number in a random situation, those 30% of all tickets purchased probably do not conform anywhere near to that 8.8% number probably less than 1%. Lottery in the early days had the supernumber (aka powerball number) picked from the same batch of balls and not a separate set. So people from that era are used to picking a different number for their supernumber (aka powerball).Let's say there were 400 million tickets sold (not sure of the exact number).If they were all random quickpicks 8.8% would be "double number" = 35,200,00030% were not quickpick = 120 million filled out by handUnder random circumstances 8.8% should have a white number match the powerball number = 10,560,000Let's say 1% of the people that filled out numbers by hand used a "double number" = 1,200,000So out of 35,200,000 tickets if totally random as potential winners, divide by 35 for the number of matching powerball winners = 1,005,714 - tickets with a "double number" and the correct powerball number when all tickets are random.But since 30% are manually filled out, and I am assuming < 1% have "double numbers" the actual number of tickets with a "double number" and the correct powerball number is...(35,200,000 - (10,560,000 - 1,200,000)) / 35 = 738,285...or 26.6% less potential winning tickets due to the powerball matching a white number compared to the increased number of chances that someone will win when the powerball does not match a white number due to the preference for manual ticket writers not to match the powerball with a white number.

How many double PBall # tix did u guys buy (power # matches one of the 5)That's where the real $$$ is
Wat?
30% of tickets are not quick draw (aka random), there's an 8.8% chance that a white ball matches a given powerball number in a random situation, those 30% of all tickets purchased probably do not conform anywhere near to that 8.8% number probably less than 1%. Lottery in the early days had the supernumber (aka powerball number) picked from the same batch of balls and not a separate set. So people from that era are used to picking a different number for their supernumber (aka powerball).Let's say there were 400 million tickets sold (not sure of the exact number).If they were all random quickpicks 8.8% would be "double number" = 35,200,00030% were not quickpick = 120 million filled out by handUnder random circumstances 8.8% should have a white number match the powerball number = 10,560,000Let's say 1% of the people that filled out numbers by hand used a "double number" = 1,200,000So out of 35,200,000 tickets if totally random as potential winners, divide by 35 for the number of matching powerball winners = 1,005,714 - tickets with a "double number" and the correct powerball number when all tickets are random.But since 30% are manually filled out, and I am assuming < 1% have "double numbers" the actual number of tickets with a "double number" and the correct powerball number is...(35,200,000 - (10,560,000 - 1,200,000)) / 35 = 738,285...or 26.6% less potential winning tickets due to the powerball matching a white number compared to the increased number of chances that someone will win when the powerball does not match a white number due to the preference for manual ticket writers not to match the powerball with a white number.
:mellow:

Wat?
Yeah, but now that you told everybody, there is now a 27% greater chance of splitting the pot if you select double-numbers. :thumbdown:

Wat?
Yeah, but now that you told everybody, there is now a 27% greater chance of splitting the pot if you select double-numbers. :thumbdown:
That's ok the mathematically challenged still don't have a clue.

Wat?
:lmao: They'll figure it out eventually.

Wat?
:fishing: If you still have not grasped this. You are less likely to split a pot with a powerball matching a white number.

Wat?
:fishing: If you still have not grasped this. You are less likely to split a pot with a powerball matching a white number.
Oh the irony. :lmao:Get out of the boat, would ya?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wat?
Oh the irony. :lmao:Get out of the boat, would ya?
Going back to 11/5/97 there has only been one incident where a Powerball jackpot was split between more than one winner (two: KY and NE) on 11/3/1999 when the winning number had a powerball that matched one of the five white numbers. (aka "double number")1-3-7-8-26 | 7Over that same span there have been 11 split jackpots where the winning number had a powerball number that did not match any of the five white numbers.168 times over that span the winning number had a "double number"1420 times over that span the winning number did not1/168 = 0.5952%11/1420 = 0.7746%

So, are we in tonight's drawing? Or Saturdays?
I can do either. They are pretty paltry jackpots... should I wait until one of them gets a bit bigger?
Might as well wait, we have been so good at winning so far that it seems silly to split a measly 40-50M. ;)Actually, whatever's easiest for you. Honestly, we would all be ridiculously happy to win something regardless of the level.

Just chiming in to say I'm good with whatever you all decide on rolling into another drawing. And to say thanks again for the efforts in pulling this together and buying tix.

Last drawing of the period is Friday, 12/21. Please get your $10 in for next period before Friday, since I have Monday off and would like to not deal with this then.

FWIW... I still have $41 from the PB drawing to buy into a bigger jackpot once we get one.

I did NOT get tickets for yesterday. I will hold off so that the first drawing of the next period will be 1/1/13. Hopefully that will get everyone a chance to pay who hasn't already.

I think I prepaid for a couple of periods. If not, please let me know.Thanks
You're all set for the next period. The following have paid:Angry Beaversditka...mike ditkaFantasy GirlGetzlaf15huskers15KeerockPigskin FanaticTecumseh
I thought I was in for a few periods as well? If not, let me know and I will re-up. I'd rather do a period or more at a time, so what would that be?
It's $10 per 5 weeks.

Is the club taking new members for the new period? PM me the details so I can get in this thing if you are.

I will repay tomorrow to get back in. Sorry been traveling for holidays

EDIT:

sent via homing PPigeon

Still need payment from:

Guinis72

jason12vb

Jojo the circus boy

SofaKings

the moops

Vrana

YSR

Also, welcome new memeber Widbil83!

The service I have been using to fund my participation seems to need some documents to verify that I am, in fact, who I say I am. As it turns out, I have none of the documents they suggest readily available, so I am probably going to have to sit this one out until I get this resolved. I'll pay whatever necessary to make it up for the next drawing. :kicksrock:

The service I have been using to fund my participation seems to need some documents to verify that I am, in fact, who I say I am. As it turns out, I have none of the documents they suggest readily available, so I am probably going to have to sit this one out until I get this resolved. I'll pay whatever necessary to make it up for the next drawing. :kicksrock:
Your escrow will cover you...

As a Tennessee resident (no state tax on lotto winnings and no state income tax) I'm willing to work with Kee on claiming the prize when we win this badboy. :thumbup: Unless folks don't like an extra 5% profit (assuming Kee lives in a state with taxes). :banned:
Wouldn't they still have to pay taxes on the money given to them if they live in states with income taxes?I have wondered if one could move to a state without income taxes before they cashed in their winning ticket to avoid said taxes.
Fwiw I once saw a lottery special. Iirc you can save a boatload in taxes by first forming some type of corporation and claiming the winnings through the corporation rather than as an individual.That said you'll in nothing (save a handful of $2 winners etc. The lottery is a tax on those who are bad at math.

As a Tennessee resident (no state tax on lotto winnings and no state income tax) I'm willing to work with Kee on claiming the prize when we win this badboy. :thumbup: Unless folks don't like an extra 5% profit (assuming Kee lives in a state with taxes). :banned:
Wouldn't they still have to pay taxes on the money given to them if they live in states with income taxes?I have wondered if one could move to a state without income taxes before they cashed in their winning ticket to avoid said taxes.
Fwiw I once saw a lottery special. Iirc you can save a boatload in taxes by first coming some type of corporation an claiming the winnings through the corporation rather han as an individual.That said you'll in nothing (save a handful of $2 winners etc. The lottery is a tax on those who are bad at math.
Pretty sure that would be the way we go when we win...

Users who are viewing this thread