Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL New Orleans Saints Thread *** Hoarding Quarterbacks instead of toilet paper

I find it very encouraging he signed with the Saints, it shows just that, that he thinks they have a legit shot at returning to the SB.

Patrick Robinson hopefully can return from injury and maybe Greer comes back after the Graham situation is worked out. RR has also cleaned house on the backups in the defensive backfield.

De La Puente signed a one year deal with Bears, with only $165k guaranteed?

I know he wasn't All-Pro or anything but he was reliable. He earned his place when Kreutz gave up midseason a few years ago. Looking at the available FA market brings up a lot of uncertainty. Just slim pickings really with former Saint Jonathan Goodwin looking like a candidate. How much does he have left in the tank, never mind how good he might be at 35 years old?

Center just moved to our #1 priority in the draft.

I know he wasn't All-Pro or anything but he was reliable. He earned his place when Kreutz gave up midseason a few years ago. Looking at the available FA market brings up a lot of uncertainty. Just slim pickings really with former Saint Jonathan Goodwin looking like a candidate. How much does he have left in the tank, never mind how good he might be at 35 years old?

There's all of a sudden a lot going on here in terms of holes: C, RT, WR, RB, CB, OLB.

I always thought Goodwin was better than DLP actually, I thought he got pushed around a bit. I would be very happy to take Goodwin back if he's really available, centers last a long time and I'm sure Goodwin has enough to hold NO over a couple more years.

There's all of a sudden a lot going on here in terms of holes: C, RT, WR, RB, CB, OLB.

I always thought Goodwin was better than DLP actually, I thought he got pushed around a bit. I would be very happy to take Goodwin back if he's really available, centers last a long time and I'm sure Goodwin has enough to hold NO over a couple more years.

Looking at the FA market? Centers not named Alex Mack are getting 1-2 year deals for around $1mm/year. Goodwin *might* be a stopgap on those terms, especially given his familiarity with Brees.

I don't get much of what you are listing as a "hole". C, yes, but we're set/stuck with Strief for at least 2 years more. A new WR is a luxury as is RB. LB is not a priority with Parys, Junior and Victor Butler. Rush OLB is dime a dozen, I think. I think we could even get Hawthorne to slide over if the right ILB fell into our lap in the draft like Borland or Smallwood. CB is a need. Robinson is coming off an ACL injury and Champ is always going to be an injury risk.

For me? The priorities list is C, a #2 CB and TE. Everything else a bit of a luxury. We have starters and will be adding players to provide depth, rotational or developmental. We don't have those locked down yet.

Looking at the FA market? Centers not named Alex Mack are getting 1-2 year deals for around $1mm/year. Goodwin *might* be a stopgap on those terms, especially given his familiarity with Brees.

I don't get much of what you are listing as a "hole". C, yes, but we're set/stuck with Strief for at least 2 years more. A new WR is a luxury as is RB. LB is not a priority with Parys, Junior and Victor Butler. Rush OLB is dime a dozen, I think. I think we could even get Hawthorne to slide over if the right ILB fell into our lap in the draft like Borland or Smallwood. CB is a need. Robinson is coming off an ACL injury and Champ is always going to be an injury risk.

For me? The priorities list is C, a #2 CB and TE. Everything else a bit of a luxury. We have starters and will be adding players to provide depth, rotational or developmental. We don't have those locked down yet.

I guess we'll see, but I think there are major holes at WR and RB and the others are still needs. The offense was behind losses at NE, NYJ, STL, CAR, SEA.

Saints got DLP as a journeyman free agent but he was still a vet (well he had been in the league a few years even if not as a starter). Before that there was Faine (vet) and Goodwin (vet). And then they went and got Kreutz (vet) before he up and quit. I don't think the Saints are drafting a center and plugging him in front of Brees. On the other hand if they start Lelito, who they like, and draft a C/G backup I would not be surprised.

I look at the WR corps and I see a major failing from last year's team. 11-5 is great, a road playoff win and a damned good effort at Seattle (as good as SF's IMO) was wonderful, but we know they and the city want more. I see the WR corps as Colston and Stills.... and then Morgan/Meach (if resigned)/Toon as a mish-mash. At RB, losing 70+ receptions in Sproles is a big deal especially because of the lack of WR depth. I don't think Cadet is an answer at all. Between Moore and Sproles those are two major security outlets for Brees gone. - This year the offense needs to retool and they need new receiving options fast. I think a big physical WR is in order or a badass burner like Cooks.

No. 2 CB is a problem, but Bailey gives depth and there is still Robinson. I have a sneaky feeling they didn't sign Bailey with the idea of drafting a 1st round CB, maybe they will draft a corner but not in the 1st.

At TE I think Payton has a little project in Hill. Graham is absolutely positively 101% coming back.

At RT I know Strief is ol' reliable and all that but he's going to be and needs to be phased out. After that it's Harris and what's behind door No. 3. I bet they do draft a G/T backup there.

The lack of depth at edge LB/DE was pretty bad last year, they had great results but sometimes they were just two deep, in SEA it was one deep after Harralson went down. I think they want one more guy there. - 1st round is most likely OLB/DE, but if one of these top 4-6 WRs like Lee, Benjamin or Cooks are there I would not be surprised if they take him. And somewhere in rounds 2-5 I bet they get a RB too. First 3 rounds, I bet they go offense/defense/offense, or defense/offense/offense.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Actually if anyone is reading this thing one takeaway I found in that article which FF followers might be interested in was that offensive genius/guru Sean Payton comes out and says that the game has changed and it makes more sense to spend money on safeties than running backs. I though that was a hell of a comment given the source.

Also, if you think about it, this means Sproles' money went to Byrd.

Actually if anyone is reading this thing one takeaway I found in that article which FF followers might be interested in was that offensive genius/guru Sean Payton comes out and says that the game has changed and it makes more sense to spend money on safeties than running backs. I though that was a hell of a comment given the source.

well, especially given the relative success NO has had in finding players UDFA or late in the draft at the RB position. The SB defense won with big plays and turnovers as much anything. we haven't had that ability in a few years. with Byrd, we should expect that. i absolutely think that the defensive backfield will be flexible enough with Bailey-Vacarro-Byrd to play with match-ups. i think vacarro, especially, has the ability to cover *and* blitz. he's in for a big year but it's contingent on the #2 CB not being a total stiff. if bailey can stay on the field then he's really going to serve as that 3rd Safety often times.

• Like 1

Some notes on goings on:

Losses:

Sproles

Tom Johnson

Will Herring

Jed Collins

Lance Moore

Charles Brown

Brian de la Puente

Gained:

Jairus Byrd

Champ Bailey

Marcus Ball

Erik Lorig

NO FA's and possible resignings:

Jabari Greer

Resigned:

Robert Meachem

Rafael Bush

Joe Morgan

Luke McCown

Pierre

Looking at:

Jonathan Goodwin - I think this will happen

I do believe that Lee and Cooks came through for workouts - personally I fully believe the Saints will take Cooks if he is there if only to prevent Carolina from getting him, and maybe the same goes for Lee

I don't have a lot of faith in the local sports press, but this rumor from Sean Fazende about the Saints being interested in Garoppolo is wild, incredible if true, but keep in mind Payton is an old East Illinois alum and had a lot of impact on Romo's rise and is probably looking out for Garoppolo. Hard to imagine them drafting him if he's there really, especially as Mike Neu is now in as QBs coach with former Tulane project Ryan Griffin. Just keep an eye on this,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1980872-sean-fazende-saints-love-brandin-cooks-in-1st-round-eyeing-garoppolo-late

Other possibilities on what might happen by or at draft day:

Trade for LaMichael James (6th or 7th)

Draft Thomas from the Ducks

Draft another RB, maybe a Hill or Mason, Seastrunk or West, or more of a pass receiver like Freeman

Draft a CB or edge DE/OLB in the 1st

Draft a backup C/G or G/T - after having a string of big hits in the OL drafts they've had some whiffs of late, there are holes to fill

Saints should still draft receiver

By Mike Triplett | ESPN.com

Bringing back veteran Robert Meachem makes a lot of sense for the New Orleans Saints. They were thin on veteran receivers. And Meachem is still a good fit in his specific role -- as a standout blocker and effective deep threat on play-action passes.

The Saints now have solid depth at the position, with Meachem, Nick Toon, Joe Morgan and Andy Tanner among the candidates for backup roles behind starters Marques Colston and Kenny Stills.

However, the Saints should absolutely still draft a receiver this year. And I think they will. Maybe even in Round 1 if the draft grades line up.

Draft analysts universally agree that this year’s rookie class is loaded with receiver talent. I’ve seen at least nine different receivers mentioned as possible first-round picks, including fast-rising Indiana prospect Cody Latimer, whom ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper paired with the Saints in his latest mock draft in.gif.

More than a dozen intriguing receiver options will be available beyond the first round.

The Saints could use a dynamic receiving threat immediately to help them stretch the field. More important, they need to start developing a future No. 1 or No. 2 guy with Colston now in his 30s.

Boy they just love to put the Saints in CHI late in the season, don't they? It must be a running joke in the league office.

Then again they get GB. CIN, BAL & SF at home, and while a large portion of the season starts on the road the games are against teams that were largely mediocre or losing last year. They get Game 2's vs ATL & CAR at home. Still they went 3-5 on the road last year but then again last year they had to play at some of the tougher venues in the league, like NYJ, NE and SEA, and this year maybe the toughest road games are at CHI & PIT plus the TNF game at CAR (who I think might decline this year).

If they come out of the first 6 games 4-2 or 5-1 that will tee up a great mid to late season run.

I don't think a RB makes much sense beyond a late round roll of the dice. Some depth at On or C seems warranted. Sames goes for LB. I'd like another WR but there is so much tent there. It could come from any round really.

Yeah the more I think about it the harder it is to find the right candidate at RB, but I really don't think Cadet is taking on a much bigger role.

I wonder if they could trade for someone before the draft or bring in a FA or maybe snag the right UDFA yet again. Not sure but Sproles, and Bush before him, occupied a real role in the offense... I can't imagine that's just being written out. If they don't do any of this then yes Cadet is the guy.

Other possibilities on what might happen by or at draft day:

Draft another RB, maybe a Hill or Mason, Seastrunk or West, or more of a pass receiver like Freeman

Draft a CB or edge DE/OLB in the 1st

Draft a backup C/G or G/T - after having a string of big hits in the OL drafts they've had some whiffs of late, there are holes to fill

I guess the needs are obvious but great minds think alike! From Shark Pool Mock #2:

New Orleans Saints Draft:

1.27 - Demarcus Lawrence, DE/OLB, Boise State

2.58 - Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas

3.91 - Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU

well, especially given the relative success NO has had in finding players UDFA or late in the draft at the RB position. The SB defense won with big plays and turnovers as much anything. we haven't had that ability in a few years. with Byrd, we should expect that. i absolutely think that the defensive backfield will be flexible enough with Bailey-Vacarro-Byrd to play with match-ups. i think vacarro, especially, has the ability to cover *and* blitz. he's in for a big year but it's contingent on the #2 CB not being a total stiff. if bailey can stay on the field then he's really going to serve as that 3rd Safety often times.

And don't forget about Bush. He's gotten better every year and is gonna be the 3rd safety up in the box while Byrd and Vacarro roam the back field. It's gonna be fun to watch.

I don't think a RB makes much sense beyond a late round roll of the dice. Some depth at On or C seems warranted. Sames goes for LB. I'd like another WR but there is so much tent there. It could come from any round really.

Yeah the more I think about it the harder it is to find the right candidate at RB, but I really don't think Cadet is taking on a much bigger role.

I wonder if they could trade for someone before the draft or bring in a FA or maybe snag the right UDFA yet again. Not sure but Sproles, and Bush before him, occupied a real role in the offense... I can't imagine that's just being written out. If they don't do any of this then yes Cadet is the guy.

i just don't see the need to spend a draft pick on a RB. we still have Pierre, Khiry, Ingram and Cadet. Regardless of who anyone feels about Ingram, he's still talented and seemed to find his way a bit last year. Is he worth what we paid to get him? I think the jury is still out.

We don't need a replacement for Sproles but rather find a player to replace his targets. I'd rather have a target on short routes instead of forcing a player like Sproles to make a play 5 yards behind the LOS. Sproles seemed to become a safety blanket for Brees and appeal to his worst habits as a QB.

Diversify the offense. Remain in the control of the game through playcalling. Keep teams off-balance. Our defense should be able to hold up its end of the deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

he says that every offseason but seems to get distracted. or Brees does.

he didn't pick up the option for Ingram, which is a curious too.

Not curious at all. Apparently the option was $5M, and I don't think the Saints would have picked that up if he had just broke the rushing record. RBs don't get paid anymore.

he says that every offseason but seems to get distracted. or Brees does.

he didn't pick up the option for Ingram, which is a curious too.

Not curious at all. Apparently the option was $5M, and I don't think the Saints would have picked that up if he had just broke the rushing record. RBs don't get paid anymore.

i didn't see how it would have cost them. i don't think they have the space anyway! i would like to see Ingram motivated and playing for a contract even if he isn't expected to stick around with us.

I've been reading the Picayune's all time top/worst 5 Saints' Booms and Busts of past drafts, and I had to laugh, there have been so many bad 1st round picks.

Basically everyone not a "Bust" means at least they played for the Saints for a while as a quality starter or someone else and had a decent career, that is the Saints did ok to excellent on their talent evaluation. Some players like Naeole, Ingram, Burrough, were picked too high but still had or have had good careers. Hard to blame them for Manning and in fact it's hard to blame Manning himself for what was in the end a pretty mediocre career. Some like Robinson are still too early and he might slide into "Bust" if he isn't a starter this year. The same goes for Ingram, especially considering the price paid, but I have the sense he is finally getting there and if he doesn't finally succeed this year he will continue to be a solid if unspectacular pro elsewhere.

Ricky Williams is an outlier, both boom and bust, there is no way almost any player not in the top 15 all time could have been worth what the Saints traded to get him. However he ended up on the talent side being really good.

All time busts: Erxleben, Kelley, Sullivan, Knight, Scott.

One thing I will disagree with the TP on is Bush: I do not think he was a "Bust." Maybe he falls in the "picked too high" category, but then it is fairly impossible to imagine the Saints running their offense without him 2006-10.

Obviously the best pick they have ever had was Roaf, perhaps followed by Deuce, then (not in any order) Rogers, Bush, Muncie, Chandler, Will Smith, Dombrowski, Wayne Martin.

Busts:

Rk   Year Rnd Pick             Player Pos  Tm From   To  AP1   PB St CarAV     G    GS    QBrec     Cmp     Att     Yds      TD     Int     Att     Yds      TD       Rec       Yds        TD Int   Sk   College/Univ6    2008   1    7      Sedrick Ellis  DT NOR 2008 2012    0    0  5    27    70    70                                                                                                            12.5            USC11   2003   1    6 Johnathan Sullivan  DT NOR 2003 2005    0    0  1    10    36    16                                                                                                             1.5        Georgia12   2002   1   13   Donte Stallworth  WR NOR 2002 2012    0    0  5    39   115    60                                                       20      98       0       321      4837        35               Tennessee18   1996   1   11        Alex Molden  DB NOR 1996 2003    0    0  3    24    98    57                                                                                                         12  8.0         Oregon22   1993   1   20          Irv Smith  TE NOR 1993 1999    0    0  5    14    95    76                                                                                183      1788        15              Notre Dame23   1992   1   21      Vaughn Dunbar  RB NOR 1992 1995    0    0  1     7    39    14                                                      267     935       5        11        73         0                 Indiana27   1987   1   11       Shawn Knight  DE NOR 1987 1989    0    0  0     3    31     1                                                                                                                            BYU29   1985   1   24        Alvin Toles  LB NOR 1985 1988    0    0  1    11    55    17                                                                                                                      Tennessee30   1982   1   13      Lindsay Scott  WR NOR 1982 1985    0    0  1     9    49    22                                                        1      -4       0        69       864         1                 Georgia33   1979   1   11   Russell Erxleben   P NOR 1979 1987    0    0  4     8    59     0                2       5      63       1       1       4       1       0                                                 Texas35   1977   1    7       Joe Campbell  DE NOR 1977 1981    0    0  1    11    65    26                                                                                                                       Maryland37   1975   1    7       Larry Burton  WR NOR 1975 1979    0    0  2     7    43    24                                                        5       4       0        44       804         7                  Purdue38   1975   1   12    Kurt Schumacher   G NOR 1975 1978    0    0  1    10    45    17                                                                                                                       Ohio St.39   1974   1   13     Rick Middleton  LB NOR 1974 1978    0    0  1    17    64    16                                                                                                          2            Ohio St.40   1972   1    8        Royce Smith   G NOR 1972 1976    0    0  1    11    62    18                                                                                                                        Georgia43   1969   1   17      John Shinners   G NOR 1969 1977    0    0  2    33    97    36                                                                                                                               44   1968   1    7        Kevin Hardy  DT NOR 1968 1972    0    0  1    11    45    11                                                                                                                     Notre Dame45   1967   1   26         Les Kelley  LB NOR 1967 1969    0    0  0     8    30     0                                                                                                          1             Alabama

Good to Great Picks:

1    2013   1   15      Kenny Vaccaro  SS NOR 2013 2013    0    0  2     6    14    14                                                                                                          1  1.0          Texas2    2011   1   24     Cameron Jordan  DE NOR 2011 2013    0    1  4    26    48    47                                                                                                            21.5     California3    2011   1   28        Mark Ingram  RB NOR 2011 2013    0    0  1    10    37    12                                                      356    1462      11        24       143         0                 Alabama4    2010   1   32   Patrick Robinson  DB NOR 2010 2013    0    0  1    12    44    27                                                                                                          7  1.0    Florida St.5    2009   1   14    Malcolm Jenkins  DB NOR 2009 2013    0    0  4    28    71    63                                                                                                          6  4.5       Ohio St.7    2007   1   27     Robert Meachem  WR NOR 2008 2013    0    0  0    26    92    33                                                       18     127       1       171      2800        27               Tennessee8    2006   1    2        Reggie Bush  RB NOR 2006 2013    0    0  7    58   105    86                0       1       0       0       1    1190    5168      33       426      3236        18                     USC9    2005   1   13       Jammal Brown   T NOR 2005 2012    1    2  6    48    86    84                                                                                                                       Oklahoma10   2004   1   18         Will Smith  DE NOR 2004 2013    0    1  7    53   139   120                                                                                                          2 67.5       Ohio St.13   2002   1   25      Charles Grant  DE NOR 2002 2009    0    0  7    47   118   106                                                                                                          1 47.0        Georgia14   2001   1   23   Deuce McAllister  RB NOR 2001 2008    0    2  4    54    97    76                1       4      12       1       0    1429    6096      49       234      1720         5             Mississippi15   1999   1    5     Ricky Williams  RB NOR 1999 2011    1    1  5    77   147    83                1       3      34       0       1    2431   10009      66       342      2606         8                   Texas16   1998   1    7        Kyle Turley   T NOR 1998 2007    1    0  6    50   109   107                                                                                  1        16         0           San Diego St.17   1997   1   10       Chris Naeole   G NOR 1997 2007    0    0  9    73   154   150                                                                                                                       Colorado19   1995   1   13        Mark Fields  LB NOR 1995 2004    0    2  8    48   136   113                                                                                                          5 34.5 Washington St.20   1994   1   13        Joe Johnson  DE NOR 1994 2003    0    2  7    50   117   115                                                                                                            52.5     Louisville21   1993   1    8    Willie Roaf HOF   T NOR 1993 2005    3   11 12   106   189   189                                                                                                                 Louisiana Tech24   1990   1   14   Renaldo Turnbull  DE NOR 1990 1997    1    1  3    38   120    60                                                                                                          1 45.5  West Virginia25   1989   1   19       Wayne Martin  DE NOR 1989 1999    0    1 10    67   171   155                                                                                                          1 82.5       Arkansas28   1986   1    6     Jim Dombrowski   G NOR 1986 1996    0    0  9    59   151   137                                                                                                                       Virginia26   1988   1   24      Craig Heyward  RB NOR 1988 1998    0    1  6    38   149   107                1       2      44       0       1    1031    4301      30       177      1559         4              Pittsburgh31   1981   1    1      George Rogers  RB NOR 1981 1987    1    2  6    46    92    78                                                     1692    7176      54        55       368         0          South Carolina32   1980   1   12         Stan Brock   T NOR 1980 1995    0    0 16    78   234   223                                                                                                                       Colorado34   1978   1    3       Wes Chandler  WR NOR 1978 1988    1    4  9    80   150   131                1       3      43       0       0      16      84       0       559      8966        56                 Florida36   1976   1    3       Chuck Muncie  RB NOR 1976 1984    0    3  7    72   110    92                4       7     126       4       0    1561    6702      71       263      2323         3              California41   1971   1    2     Archie Manning  QB NOR 1971 1984    0    2 11    75   151   139 35-101-3    2011    3642   23911     125     173     384    2197      18         1        -7         0             Mississippi42   1970   1   10       Ken Burrough  WR NOR 1970 1981    0    2  9    66   156   113                0       3       0       0       0      17      63       1       421      7102        49          Texas Southern

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

The NFLPA has filed a grievance against #Saints on behalf of Jimmy Graham. Franchise-tag fight is on.

No hearing date set for Graham grievance. Presumably, it'll get pursued on an expedited basis.

This was the inevitable next step when no deal was struck between #Saints and Graham. Difference of over $5M could swing leverage in talks.

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

Which team could surprise us by taking a QB in RD 1? Asked a few execs, one said Saints. I would be shocked if that happened.

I think Garoppalo is in the mix, but no way him or anyone else at Round 1. They also seem to love Ryan Griffin and just brought in his old QB coach from Tulane as the new Saints QB coach to replace Lombardi.

I think Garoppalo is in the mix, but no way him or anyone else at Round 1. They also seem to love Ryan Griffin and just brought in his old QB coach from Tulane as the new Saints QB coach to replace Lombardi.

Just spitballin':

I don't think it's crazy talk for the Saints to trade out of the first round to pick up an extra second (and change?). Especially if someone like Manziel or Bridgewater has a Aaron-Rodgers-esque drop.

In that kind of scenario, I could see the Saints spending that extra second-rounder on a QB.

I like the Cooks pick. He's playing in the slot for us. He should take a few targets away from Graham and open Brees' eyes to the whole field again. He's going to be great on end-arounds - which Payton loves - and on ST. He can be groomed to the #2 WR when Stills takes over for Colston.

Edited by saintfool

Love the pick, love it!

I like the Cooks pick. He's playing in the slot for us. He should take a few targets away from Graham and open Brees' eyes to the whole field again. He's going to be great on end-arounds - which Payton loves - and on ST. He can be groomed to the #2 WR when Stills takes over for Colston.

Yes, yes, yes and yes! Called it!

More to come!

Rotoworld:

Saints selected Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste with the No. 58 overall pick in the NFL draft.

Jean-Baptiste (6-foot-2 3/8, 218) made 19 starts for the Huskers, finishing his career with seven interceptions and 22 pass breakups. He was a second-team All-Big Ten pick as a senior. Though Jean-Baptiste has limited speed (4.61), he's plenty athletic with a 41 1/2-inch vertical and freakish 10-foot-8 broad jump. Jean-Baptiste needs to play with more physicality, but could develop into a Brandon Browner-like press corner. One concern for Jean-Baptiste's long-term upside is his age, as he's already 24. On the field, he's drawn Nnamdi Asomugha comparisons from NFL scouts. Jean-Baptiste probably won't play a ton as a rookie, but he'll get to learn from one of the all-time greats in LCB Champ Bailey.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste was rapidly climbing the draft boards, with some speculating that he could sneak into the first round, so this should represent a good pick by the Saints!

Edited by Faust

Rotoworld:

The New Orleans Times-Picayune's Larry Holder believes the Saints' selection of CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste is "their latest step to build a Seattle-like secondary."

The transition began last season with the signing of CB Keenan Lewis and first-round selection of S Kenny Vaccaro. The Saints continued the transformation this offseason with FS Jarius Byrd and future HOFer Champ Bailey. 6-foot-2 Jean-Baptiste is another piece of that puzzle. "A year and a half ago, starting before last year's draft, we made an effort to really put a high value on size," said coach Sean Payton, "and we've been able to do that defensively." Jean-Baptiste won't get a ton of playing time as a rookie, but he has a chance to learn from one of the all-time greats in Bailey.

Game on, fellas.

All in all it was an awesome haul.

:thumbup:

Obviously a lot of emphasis on defense.

Cooks: A++++ in my book - cannot wait to see what Brees and Payton cook up for him

Baptiste - CB, will be imposing, the defensive backfield is going to be sick

Fortt - LB - ILB starter of the future?

Sunseri - S - it sure seems to me he could become an Urlacher-like LB (yeah not saying he's a HOFer, just that he fits that safety to LB mold) - thought he was great at Bama

Powell - LB - per RW, "arrived at UF as the nation's No. 1 overall recruit in 2010" - Wow. Boy the NFLN crew was raving about him.

Rooks - OT, I have no idea what's going on here; love the position focus, he sounds like he needs a lot more muscle.

Flanders - RB - I will continue to maintain the Saints are not abandoning the Sproles/Bush role

Coleman - WR, this sounds really promising, almost like they got a K. Benjamin undrafted, but like Colston they would have to draw the talent out of him at TC

Seantavius Jones - WR - project, but I have a feeling Morgan, Toon and Meach are anything but safe

Spencer Hadley - LB - I get the feeling they were watching Van Noy but this is the guy who stood out

Matt Armstrong - C - all I know is Grand Valley turns out some skilled players - I'm glad they didn't kill a draft pick on a center. - I'm guessing they sign Goodwin.

I get the feeling Ryan is loading up on LBers and safeties the way Payton used to load up on WRs and RBs.

Sometimes I get the feeling Ryan's personality is taking over this team.

By the way it never ceases to amaze me how badly WWL am radio and the local papers miss every draft and mock prediction and discussion, but this seemed like one of the worst jobs ever. 870 AM is not listenable during the draft IMO.

Rotoworld:

Saints signed Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman.

Coleman (6-foot-6, 225) tied Rutgers' school record for career touchdown receptions (20) before declaring for the draft as a redshirt junior. He averaged 19.2 yards per catch on 94 grabs. Despite vertical-receiver college stats and a massive catch radius (34-inch arms), Coleman is a buildup-speed player whose game will have to change. He needs to learn how to use his body to shield defenders, because he won't be running by NFL defensive backs. Alshon Jeffery successfully made similar changes in Chicago. Ultimately, Coleman is a project whose outlook could range anywhere from Plaxico Burress to Ramses Barden.

By the way it never ceases to amaze me how badly WWL am radio and the local papers miss every draft and mock prediction and discussion, but this seemed like one of the worst jobs ever. 870 AM is not listenable during the draft IMO. when Bobby Hebert is speaking.

• Like 1

Sometimes I get the feeling Ryan's personality is taking over this team.

Could be a good thing with the Drew Brees era sunsetting. Not sure how long Rob Ryan will be here, though.

If he is any where near as successful as he was last year, and he should be, he's as good as gone.