What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (4 Viewers)

Amazon Streaming is not very user friendy but thy have a lot of good shows if you use the search function. Right now w use it fr Justified, Goodwife and Netflix for Borgia. Sarching NOVA, BBC, American Experience as a search can always find interesting stuff.

Vikings, The Americans, Downton Abbey, Spongebob, Mr Selfridge, Hannibal, Grimm, Falling Skies.

I am never at a loss.

Amazon Streaming is not very user friendy but thy have a lot of good shows if you use the search function. Right now w use it fr Justified, Goodwife and Netflix for Borgia. Sarching NOVA, BBC, American Experience as a search can always find interesting stuff.

Vikings, The Americans, Downton Abbey, Spongebob, Mr Selfridge, Hannibal, Grimm, Falling Skies.

I am never at a loss.
Hannibal is awesome.

Still concerned about the streaming speed of any of these devices on my home wifi.

What speed do I need to be able to stream without it being a complete PIA?

Also, do you Roku-ish guys have an antennae for local?
Considering they're main purpose is streaming video, I think they all have the ability to, you know, stream video.
I realize they all can stream video...my question is how fast does my wifi connection need to be in order for it to stream smoothly?
I use one of the mid-level speeds with my DSL (sorry, can't recall the actual speed but it's not the top offered) and it works fine just about all of the time. Every so often, it'll buffer/freeze for a sec but that's really rare. It's the same for my Roku, Chromecast, and BluRay player.
Thanks. I probably would need to bump up to a faster DSL package. I'm still using one of those AOL CDs that come in the Sunday paper.
Honestly, the DSL might not matter as much unless you are at a really low level. I think I am at 12mbps now, up from 3, just because the difference wasn't much when I bumped it up a bit ago.

What was the biggest difference in terms of buffer issues was switching from wireless (dual band N) to the powerline adapters. The difference was night and day, it is like having an Ethernet cable directly to the router. I know the wireless router supposedly has a higher top end, but the powerline adapter has no buffer issues at all. It takes maybe a few seconds for it to start any show or movie, but I can't recall the last time we ever hit a buffering issue, which happened often with wireless.

Set this up last night. Random thoughts:

The packaging is nice. the actual unit is heavier than I expected it to be. It's small and practically invisible sitting right next to the stand of our television.

One interesting, potentially concerning thing on setup -- I guess when you order these, at the factory they pair the serial # of the device with your prime account. So once I got it hooked up and on my wireless network, my Amazon settings were already pre-populated. Neat, but what if I had bought this for a gift? I'm not sure they thought this through. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Large firmware update was forced on first startup -- took 10-15 mins.

Navigation/interface is clean and intuitive.

voice recognition is really good. I tried about 20 searches last night and I didn't have to repeat myself once, and it matched everything on the first try.

I'll update as I spend some more time with this, but my initial impression is that if you already have a newer roku or apleTV, nothing revolutionary is going on here with the Fire TV. If you use Prime for streaming and you don't yet have a STB, this one is pretty solid. In the reviews I was reading -- the hardware specs on this are the best available right now (comparing to Apple and Roku) but of course that will probably all change as the next gen of Apple and Roku devices are released.
All Amazon devices (Kindle) do this. When you buy, you can choose the gift option and it won't be linked.

Pretty good get for Amazon: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/23/5643148/hbo-shows-coming-to-amazon-prime-instant-video

Amazon and HBO have signed an extensive, multi-year agreement that will bring many of the premium channel's greatest shows including The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and The Wire to Amazon Prime Instant Video. The deal also includes "early" seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood. Newer shows like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will eventually be made available to Prime subscribers, but not until three years after they've first aired on HBO. And other hits like Game of Thrones aren't even mentioned as part of the deal, so HBO may be holding at least some popular content away from Amazon's on-demand streaming.

The first wave of HBO content is due to arrive on May 21st. In addition to regular shows, Prime subscribers will also gain access to miniseries classics like Band of Brothers, select original movies including Game Change, HBO documentaries, and comedy specials from the likes of Louis CK, Ellen DeGeneres, and Lewis Black.

Pretty good get for Amazon: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/23/5643148/hbo-shows-coming-to-amazon-prime-instant-video

Amazon and HBO have signed an extensive, multi-year agreement that will bring many of the premium channel's greatest shows including The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and The Wire to Amazon Prime Instant Video. The deal also includes "early" seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood. Newer shows like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will eventually be made available to Prime subscribers, but not until three years after they've first aired on HBO. And other hits like Game of Thrones aren't even mentioned as part of the deal, so HBO may be holding at least some popular content away from Amazon's on-demand streaming.

The first wave of HBO content is due to arrive on May 21st. In addition to regular shows, Prime subscribers will also gain access to miniseries classics like Band of Brothers, select original movies including Game Change, HBO documentaries, and comedy specials from the likes of Louis CK, Ellen DeGeneres, and Lewis Black.
:jackpot:

:jackpot:
wonderful news.

http://gizmodo.com/hbo-is-bringing-a-ton-of-its-shows-to-amazon-prime-1566504724?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

That link is only for Google TV, not for mobile devices. Are there any ways to watch AP on a tablet? You'd think Amazon would be more cooperative on this.

That link is only for Google TV, not for mobile devices. Are there any ways to watch AP on a tablet? You'd think Amazon would be more cooperative on this.
There's an app for that
Link?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?&docId=1000798971For android devices I'd imagine you just go through the browser.
you have to side load adobe flash and use a browser in desktop mode. Dolphin or firefox. You then have to choose to use flash instead of silverlight.it's ok but definitely not as good as an app

The packaging is nice. the actual unit is heavier than I expected it to be. It's small and practically invisible sitting right next to the stand of our television.

One interesting, potentially concerning thing on setup -- I guess when you order these, at the factory they pair the serial # of the device with your prime account. So once I got it hooked up and on my wireless network, my Amazon settings were already pre-populated. Neat, but what if I had bought this for a gift? I'm not sure they thought this through. Or maybe I'm missing something.

voice recognition is really good. I tried about 20 searches last night and I didn't have to repeat myself once, and it matched everything on the first try.

I'll update as I spend some more time with this, but my initial impression is that if you already have a newer roku or apleTV, nothing revolutionary is going on here with the Fire TV. If you use Prime for streaming and you don't yet have a STB, this one is pretty solid. In the reviews I was reading -- the hardware specs on this are the best available right now (comparing to Apple and Roku) but of course that will probably all change as the next gen of Apple and Roku devices are released.
We've been using the Roku2 for a long time. It was becoming painfully slow, dropping connection, etc. So I got the new FireTV a couple of weeks ago. This thing stomps all over the Roku2. I'm sure the Roku3 is comparable, but I'm very happy with the FireTV so far.

:thumbup:

We've been using the Roku2 for a long time. It was becoming painfully slow, dropping connection, etc. So I got the new FireTV a couple of weeks ago. This thing stomps all over the Roku2. I'm sure the Roku3 is comparable, but I'm very happy with the FireTV so far.

I hated what I read in the poor ratings for the Fire. It seems the device is programmed to sell amazon non prime content at the expense of making everything else very difficult.

I hated what I read in the poor ratings for the Fire. It seems the device is programmed to sell amazon non prime content at the expense of making everything else very difficult.
so basically like all fire products then

My 5 and 7 year old boys navigate it easily. :shrug: A lot of those reviews come off as if they were writtne by super nitpicky old fogies. There were reviews complaining about the packaging being too boring. S?

Anybody get the special offer for $50-75 off a Kindle? Supposedly it's just to select customers and you'll see a banner on your Amazon homepage. My wife told me about it and then chatted online to find out we weren't eligible but that the rep didn't have any info about eligibility requirements. :sad:

I can get 50 off Kindle or Kindle fire hd

or 75 off the hdx

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. Heard 75 off a paperwhite. I would have definitely bought one of those with that offer.

So how do you file a claim for something that wasn't delivered?

I went to the "File a Claim" form and the reasons are all grayed out except for something along the lines of "My product was defective". How can it be defective if it hasn't been delivered??

Help?

I went to the "File a Claim" form and the reasons are all grayed out except for something along the lines of "My product was defective". How can it be defective if it hasn't been delivered??

Help?
This is the 1st time I have ever heard of Amazon not delivering a product.

Help?
This happened to me recently, chat was really easy. They gave me a credit, I had to reorder the item, possibly because it was a marketplace seller and not direct from amazon. They still have great customer service, but it is buried behind a mess of links.

From the top of the main page, click 'Help'

2nd option, 'problem with an order?'

You can wander through all the 'where's my stuff?' options, or skip all that and click 'contact us' to the far left.

Help?
Call them

Help?
I just called them. The gave extra month of Prime (product was delivered day after scheduled)

Help?
This is the 1st time I have ever heard of Amazon not delivering a product.
First time I have ever had a problem. I have Prime and love it.

It was being shipped USPS, and it still says it's in Transit.

Help?
This happened to me recently, chat was really easy. They gave me a credit, I had to reorder the item, possibly because it was a marketplace seller and not direct from amazon. They still have great customer service, but it is buried behind a mess of links.

You can wander through all the 'where's my stuff?' options, or skip all that and click 'contact us' to the far left.

Help?
Call them

Help?
I just called them. The gave extra month of Prime (product was delivered day after scheduled)
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to make the call.

Help?

Help?
Call them

Help?
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to make the call.
I did everything by email when prime items didn't arrive. I thought I clicked where is my stuff or something like that. Within 3 hours, they had responded with options; cancel altogether or reorder and gave me a month of Prime for the issues. Also had an issue with so flavored water drink my daughter wanted where one or two of the bottles were damages out of the 12. They sent an email with three options, return with refund, return and reorder or get back 1/2 the purchase price and keep what we had. No brainer to keep what we had. They have this whole process dialed in like everything else.

Ordered a TV thru Prime and picked 1-day shipping. Supposed to be here today, but Fedex says estimated delivery "N/A" and it doesn't show that it's even in transit - much less out for delivery.

Sent to my office, so I won't be able to get it over the weekend if it doesn't get here by 5 pm.

:rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Prime was up for renewal last week, at the new $99 price, and I cancelled prior to getting billed. First reason was, maybe they would try and retain me at a lower price instead of letting me cancel. Second, with so many things now being "add on" items, 90% of my orders were for $35 or more anyway. So I would get free shipping and since there's a big distribution centers near here, even super-saver shipping was getting to me in 2 days (and Prime usually in 1.) And I don't usually use their streaming.

Just went to make my first purchase since canceling and up popped an offer to sign back up for Prime at $49 :moneybag:

Users who are viewing this thread