Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

I do order on occasion from Walmart and pick up. if there was one closer I maybe would use it more. Last time I ordered from them, I went to the back to pick up my stuff and it took 3 people and about 20 minutes for them to find it. Haven't tried them since.

that back store pickup is awful.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll be jumping up and down if it shows up.

haaaaa  

Just won this on Amazon giveaways... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N12OGXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_igQ5AbDHD0AQ9 :confetti:

I'll go to WalMart for boxed items simply because they have them. i.e. Name brand food stuffs. For whatever reason, the WalMart carries two or three times the amount of items our local grocery store carries. If we go to the grocery store and can't find several items, we run to WalMart and get them. Apparently we live in a little better area than many of you as I have never felt threatened, seen the store trashed, run in to someone I feared was mentally ill, whatever. There is no doubt in my mind that stores like that are around. But I tend to avoid the "hood" and shop in the nicer parts of town. And the WalMart there is fairly well kept.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer Amazon because of ratings.  I can check Wirecutter (a rating service I have come to trust) and follow a link to Amazon, or I can read user reviews/ratings on Amazon and feel confident in my purchase.  I go to Wal-Mart and don't know if I'm buying the sucker item that will break in a week.

I mean, Wal-Mart certainly sells some little quadcopter drones, probably 3 different models... but how long are they going to last?  Maybe a long time, but I don't know just by looking at them on the shelf.  I'd rather spend 5% more to get one with 500 reviews and an average 4/5 rating.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buckna said:

Can't say I am surprised, Wal-Mart's modus operandi for decades has been a loss-leader strategy where they sell key products for consumers at a loss and markup everything else. That's how they were able to run so many mom and pop's out of business from a retail standpoint, that and using their size to demand price concessions from suppliers. I have price compared a few things recently and seen very similar pricing on some things.

 

Looking at that article, most of the products its comparing are consumer staples like paper towels, toothpaste and ####. I don't buy that from Amazon either, I buy that from Costco where even the article itself says those goods are considerably cheaper than both Wal-Mart and Amazon. I don't trust their findings that the things like TV's, electronics, etc. are cheaper either. That has never been the case when I have price compared. Rarely do you find the same models for sale across retailers, they probably compared "similar" products on their face but in reality are not exactly the same.

I agree on some of the comparisons. Amazon always has good tech prices especially on the accessories. The study is pretty interesting but seeing how the study was done student loan l company not a market survey company, I’ll take the results with a grain of salt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered a Xmas gift from Walmart.  Went to pick it up...two hours later left with a refund after they couldn't find it.  Naturally it was too late to get a replacement.  Never again will I do a store pickup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NutterButter said:

that back store pickup is awful.   

:goodposting: Just a dreadful experience when back store pickup. Better off just picking it up yourself as opposed to waiting 30 minutes for someone to be back there. Our local Walmart finally moved it to the front of the store. Much better experience and usually in and out within a couple minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That add-on item crap is pretty annoying. It took me a while to even figure out what was going on. It makes sense, I guess, as I can't see much profit on free shipping of a $5-10 item. Still annoying though.

I don't go to Wal-Mart or Target much, but I'd take Wal-Mart easily. I've never understood the love of Target. Both stores are places to go buy cheap China made crap, but Target just doesn't seem like it has as much. To me, it seems like an oversized drug store with a ton of space devoted to crappy clothes and the smell of stale popcorn in the air. Also, Wal-Mart is stepping up their self-checkout game quite a bit, and I've yet to see a single self-checkout at a Target. The people comparing the people at both stores are missing the point. The point is to not have to deal with anyone. Frankly, Target just seems a bit unnecessary, and I'm not sure how they'll be around much longer.

I prefer Wal-Mart because ain't nobody putting on airs here. We all know why we're here, and we're not proud of it. Just give me my cheap toaster and some sundries, and let's all get out of here and go home and pound some Budweiser's. 

Edited by pollardsvision
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

That add-on item crap is pretty annoying. It took me a while to even figure out what was going on. It makes sense, I guess, as I can't see much profit on free shipping of a $5-10 item. Still annoying though.

I don't go to Wal-Mart or Target much, but I'd take Wal-Mart easily. I've never understood the love of Target. Both stores are places to go buy cheap China made crap, but Target just doesn't seem like it has as much. To me, it seems like an oversized drug store with a ton of space devoted to crappy clothes and the smell of stale popcorn in the air. Also, Wal-Mart is stepping up their self-checkout game quite a bit, and I've yet to see a single self-checkout at a Target. The people comparing the people at both stores are missing the point. The point is to not have to deal with anyone. Frankly, Target just seems a bit unnecessary, and I'm not sure how they'll be around much longer.

I prefer Wal-Mart because ain't nobody putting on airs here. We all know why we're here, and we're not proud of it. Just give me my cheap toaster and some sundries, and let's all get out of here and go home and pound some Budweiser's. 

Everything about this post is spot on.   Its like they put a starbucks in target and suddenly the sheep were convinced that it was some high end store.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

That add-on item crap is pretty annoying. It took me a while to even figure out what was going on. It makes sense, I guess, as I can't see much profit on free shipping of a $5-10 item. Still annoying though.

I don't go to Wal-Mart or Target much, but I'd take Wal-Mart easily. I've never understood the love of Target. Both stores are places to go buy cheap China made crap, but Target just doesn't seem like it has as much. To me, it seems like an oversized drug store with a ton of space devoted to crappy clothes and the smell of stale popcorn in the air. Also, Wal-Mart is stepping up their self-checkout game quite a bit, and I've yet to see a single self-checkout at a Target. The people comparing the people at both stores are missing the point. The point is to not have to deal with anyone. Frankly, Target just seems a bit unnecessary, and I'm not sure how they'll be around much longer.

I prefer Wal-Mart because ain't nobody putting on airs here. We all know why we're here, and we're not proud of it. Just give me my cheap toaster and some sundries, and let's all get out of here and go home and pound some Budweiser's. 

 

My local Target has a self-checkout lane with four or five machines. :shrug:

Of course, it's not as important as the ones in my local Walmart because whenever a line builds up at the registers, they call one or two other staff over to open new registers.  Meanwhile, at Walmart, it could be a really busy time of day and they have 2 of the 20 registers open with no extra staff to call over. 

I don't have as big a problem with Walmart as many here (or my wife), because I also don't pay attention to the typical difference in clientele and there are certain things I know I can get there cheap. But the customer service is a completely different experience at the two stores.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and also when shopping in-store, Target will price match Amazon if you ask. That can be pretty nice when you need something right away even though it's cheaper on Amazon. 

Unless I'm mistaken, Walmart won't do that.  Heck, until somewhat recently, they wouldn't even price match their Walmart.com website prices.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things:

1)  No one said anything about going to Walmart during peak time.   I don't care if you're ####### Barry Sanders in his prime, you're not getting through that horde of zombies without getting bitten

2)  I have no desire to play the whole price match game.   Just put the price on the item that you're charging.  I don't want to have to have a conversation about this.  The few handful of things that I buy at walmart which is typically just random household items (sun tan lotion, rubber bands, scrubbing pads, bleach, stuff like that), amazon ain't beating the walmart price.   

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jhib said:

 

My local Target has a self-checkout lane with four or five machines. :shrug:

Of course, it's not as important as the ones in my local Walmart because whenever a line builds up at the registers, they call one or two other staff over to open new registers.  Meanwhile, at Walmart, it could be a really busy time of day and they have 2 of the 20 registers open with no extra staff to call over. 

I don't have as big a problem with Walmart as many here (or my wife), because I also don't pay attention to the typical difference in clientele and there are certain things I know I can get there cheap. But the customer service is a completely different experience at the two stores.

 

Yeah, our Target has had multiple self checkout registers for a few years now. Always quick and with their version of my debit card, I get 5% off everything. I also shop tab Costco so only certain things I get at Target, but the Target is the closest so I go there for quick stuff. Actually do have a Walmart Neighborhood Market which is the closest grocery store so I frequent that a lot. I guess I pretty much shop them all based on what I need. I do think Target has good prices especially with the extra 5% off anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2018 at 6:00 AM, NutterButter said:

Walmart cheaper than Amazon for most stuff

Big advantage I find with Amazon right now is they seem to have a far wider range of goods probably because they're so integrated with 3rd party vendors.     If I can get there in the morning, I buy a few random things from Walmart with the price being better.   One nice advantage they'd have is that you can return to store so you don't have to eat the return fee with stuff that can't be returned for free to Amazon.    Biggest problem I've had with amazon is that they've expanded into a bunch of stuff I could care less about like movies, music, storage and what I loved them for which was just shipping stuff for free has suffered.   Regardless on how you roll, competition is a good thing.

I saw this and agree with those that prefer Amazon's convenience. I also don't think the authors accounted for Amazon's subscription model. Even factoring in the annual Amazon fee the eadditional 15% savings I get every month on the items I regularly purchase (toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, dish soap, toothpaste etc, etc, etc...) likely makes Amazon the better priced option for me.

And that doesn't factor in all the digital media/entertainment I receive with my Amazon subscription.

Wal-Mart may have cheaper Pop-Tarts and Kraft American Singles but they don't come with a side of The Tick and The Man in High Castle.

YMMV 

Edited by Chaka
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Two things:

1)  No one said anything about going to Walmart during peak time.   I don't care if you're ####### Barry Sanders in his prime, you're not getting through that horde of zombies without getting bitten

2)  I have no desire to play the whole price match game.   Just put the price on the item that you're charging.  I don't want to have to have a conversation about this.  The few handful of things that I buy at walmart which is typically just random household items (sun tan lotion, rubber bands, scrubbing pads, bleach, stuff like that), amazon ain't beating the walmart price.   

Yeah I get that it works for some people (like I said, it works for me in some situations). My post was more geared to the confusion about the love for Target and questioning if they'd be around much longer. News flash: women do a lot of shopping. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

Also, Wal-Mart is stepping up their self-checkout game quite a bit, and I've yet to see a single self-checkout at a Target.

This comment surprised me quite a bit. My wife went to our Target one day and there were NO registers open, it was self-checkout ONLY. My wife hates self-checkout and was not happy. Needed help checking out from the person they pay to stand there. I love self-checkout, use it whenever it is available. But I didn't imagine there was still a Target or WalMart out there without it. That's why I don't get to uptight about WalMart not having registers open, which is absolutely true. I use the self-checkout and don't look back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jhib said:

 

My local Target has a self-checkout lane with four or five machines. :shrug:

Of course, it's not as important as the ones in my local Walmart because whenever a line builds up at the registers, they call one or two other staff over to open new registers.  Meanwhile, at Walmart, it could be a really busy time of day and they have 2 of the 20 registers open with no extra staff to call over. 

I don't have as big a problem with Walmart as many here (or my wife), because I also don't pay attention to the typical difference in clientele and there are certain things I know I can get there cheap. But the customer service is a completely different experience at the two stores.

 

Different locations I guess. I made a similar observation about Lowe's and Home Depot (Lowe's here sucks and HD is awesome), but it seemed reversed in other locations.

But yeah, no self-checkout at our Target. Sounds like that's not the norm in most places. Wal-Mart just added a ton. They have at least 20 of them. Getting out of there is a breeze.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jhib said:

Oh, and also when shopping in-store, Target will price match Amazon if you ask. That can be pretty nice when you need something right away even though it's cheaper on Amazon. 

Unless I'm mistaken, Walmart won't do that.  Heck, until somewhat recently, they wouldn't even price match their Walmart.com website prices.

 

I don't do it, but I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart price matches.

I've got a buddy constantly telling me about some app he and his wife use where Wal-Mart (and maybe some other stores) put rebates and price matches directly into an account (maybe even paypal). Somehow, he's even able to 24 packs of PBR for $10 (after some $3 rebate deposited into this account). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2018 at 6:23 AM, pollardsvision said:

I don't do it, but I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart price matches.

I've got a buddy constantly telling me about some app he and his wife use where Wal-Mart (and maybe some other stores) put rebates and price matches directly into an account (maybe even paypal). Somehow, he's even able to 24 packs of PBR for $10 (after some $3 rebate deposited into this account). 

would like to know what app this is

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 4:04 AM, pollardsvision said:

That add-on item crap is pretty annoying. It took me a while to even figure out what was going on. It makes sense, I guess, as I can't see much profit on free shipping of a $5-10 item. Still annoying though.

I don't go to Wal-Mart or Target much, but I'd take Wal-Mart easily. I've never understood the love of Target. Both stores are places to go buy cheap China made crap, but Target just doesn't seem like it has as much. To me, it seems like an oversized drug store with a ton of space devoted to crappy clothes and the smell of stale popcorn in the air. Also, Wal-Mart is stepping up their self-checkout game quite a bit, and I've yet to see a single self-checkout at a Target. The people comparing the people at both stores are missing the point. The point is to not have to deal with anyone. Frankly, Target just seems a bit unnecessary, and I'm not sure how they'll be around much longer.

I prefer Wal-Mart because ain't nobody putting on airs here. We all know why we're here, and we're not proud of it. Just give me my cheap toaster and some sundries, and let's all get out of here and go home and pound some Budweiser's. 

Target by us has self checkout. And fewer mouth-breathers. And MILFs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

would like to know what app this is

Walmart savings catcher app checks prices of other local stores and gives you an egift card to use at Walmart.  Ibotta is an app that has numerous stores including Walmart that gives you cash for buying certain items including alcohol.  It even has liquor stores.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Premier said:

My wife uses ibotta. After 6 months of meticulously logging every receipt from a store, we are up to 18 bucks. Really not sure it's worth all that hassle. 

Depends on what you buy.  We make that in a month.  Right now they have $1 back on Chobani yogurt so they are free.  If you go thru Ibotta to shop on certain websites you get cash back also. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, NutterButter said:

1)  No one said anything about going to Walmart during peak time.   I don't care if you're ####### Barry Sanders in his prime, you're not getting through that horde of zombies without getting bitten

 

 

Wife and I were running around late the other night and I talked her into running into Walmart to pick up a couple things she said she needed but had planned on just getting the next day somewhere else (since she hates Walmart).  Points go to Walmart (ours is open 24 hrs) since they were actually still open while Target was closed.

We went in, found what we needed, headed to the checkout and found only one register open with about 8-10 people in line.  The self-checkout lane at each end of the long line registers was completely closed.  

We left without our stuff, but I did get some lovely looks from my wife.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MechEng said:

Walmart savings catcher app checks prices of other local stores and gives you an egift card to use at Walmart.  Ibotta is an app that has numerous stores including Walmart that gives you cash for buying certain items including alcohol.  It even has liquor stores.

Thanks. I have been using both for a couple years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phil Elliott said:

No sure if this is a honda, but if you purchase on Amazonsmile.com, Amazon dontates .5% of the purchase price to any charity you designate.   Same price as if you purchase on Amazon.

 

 

Honda but definitely worth repeating :thumbup:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil Elliott said:

No sure if this is a honda, but if you purchase on Amazonsmile.com, Amazon dontates .5% of the purchase price to any charity you designate.   Same price as if you purchase on Amazon.

 

 

I do this when on my computer, but 99% of my purchases are through the app, and there is no smile option that I am aware of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I do this when on my computer, but 99% of my purchases are through the app, and there is no smile option that I am aware of.

correct. you would have to add items to your cart in the app and then go to smile.amazon.com to checkout

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jhib said:

 

Wife and I were running around late the other night and I talked her into running into Walmart to pick up a couple things she said she needed but had planned on just getting the next day somewhere else (since she hates Walmart).  Points go to Walmart (ours is open 24 hrs) since they were actually still open while Target was closed.

We went in, found what we needed, headed to the checkout and found only one register open with about 8-10 people in line.  The self-checkout lane at each end of the long line registers was completely closed.  

We left without our stuff, but I did get some lovely looks from my wife.

 

I can't say I'm too surprised.   Most of the time, I can get through the check out process quickly, but there have been those perfect storm occasions.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MechEng said:

Walmart savings catcher app checks prices of other local stores and gives you an egift card to use at Walmart.  Ibotta is an app that has numerous stores including Walmart that gives you cash for buying certain items including alcohol.  It even has liquor stores.

That's what it is, Joe. Ibotta

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Add ons... I found this tip, haven't tried it:

Quote

You can get around this by pre-ordering things that aren't available yet and then canceling the pre-order later. Or use Alexa—if you have Voice Purchasing enabled, ask Alexa to order that specific product, and the single item order should be placed. It's a #####-move and Amazon could put the kibosh on this workaround at any moment, but there you go.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I was bored. Started buying things I needed or had saved in my list, but was putting off. That escalated into buying things I didn’t need, but wanted. Then I capped it off buying things I hadn’t even thought about before yesterday. All the charges started rolling in this morning when things began to ship. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:
19 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

In no way do I mean to go political in any way, but is there any way to tell Amazon which carrier you want to send your package (or at least, which you don't?)

I can’t imagine that’s possible. 

Im curious why though

I'm sure there are lots that would prefer to have their deliveries made by someone other than FedEx in an effort to help force them to remove their connection with the NRA. The same sort of connection that many other companies have removed in the last week or so. They seem to be the only one that is resisting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

I'm sure there are lots that would prefer to have their deliveries made by someone other than FedEx in an effort to help force them to remove their connection with the NRA. The same sort of connection that many other companies have removed in the last week or so. They seem to be the only one that is resisting.

UPS is my Amazon carrier, with USPS very rarely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:
27 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

I'm sure there are lots that would prefer to have their deliveries made by someone other than FedEx in an effort to help force them to remove their connection with the NRA. The same sort of connection that many other companies have removed in the last week or so. They seem to be the only one that is resisting.

UPS is my Amazon carrier, with USPS very rarely. 

USPS is my main carrier, if I do a further than next day delivery. If it is closer than that it is UPS or if it is same-day it's Lasership or Amazon itself.

Just was curious if there was a way to do it, because if people did it would maybe help push them along; especially if Amazon was helping with the push.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

I was bored. Started buying things I needed or had saved in my list, but was putting off. That escalated into buying things I didn’t need, but wanted. Then I capped it off buying things I hadn’t even thought about before yesterday. All the charges started rolling in this morning when things began to ship. 

the "old weather-related spending" reason.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

USPS is my main carrier, if I do a further than next day delivery. If it is closer than that it is UPS or if it is same-day it's Lasership or Amazon itself.

Just was curious if there was a way to do it, because if people did it would maybe help push them along; especially if Amazon was helping with the push.

Guess you'd just have to boycott Amazon then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Short Corner said:
26 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

USPS is my main carrier, if I do a further than next day delivery. If it is closer than that it is UPS or if it is same-day it's Lasership or Amazon itself.

Just was curious if there was a way to do it, because if people did it would maybe help push them along; especially if Amazon was helping with the push.

Guess you'd just have to boycott Amazon then.

Yeah, that ain't happening. :no: They make things too convenient for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 11:56 AM, JoeSteeler said:

 

On 2/8/2018 at 11:53 AM, Phil Elliott said:

No sure if this is a honda, but if you purchase on Amazonsmile.com, Amazon dontates .5% of the purchase price to any charity you designate.   Same price as if you purchase on Amazon.

 

 

Honda but definitely worth repeating :thumbup:

 

Especially if you designate "Chance For Hope" (Bigbottom's foundation) as your charity.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Ected said:

In no way do I mean to go political in any way, but is there any way to tell Amazon which carrier you want to send your package (or at least, which you don't?)

I have often wondered why Amazon doesn't create their own delivery company

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...