What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (2 Viewers)

If you purchased a prime exclusive phone with ads Amazon is removing them for free with a new update this week.  If you paid to have them removed through Amazon they will credit your account with a giftcard for the removal cost.
Does paying to have them removed mean buying the more expensive version of the phone without ads, or only if you buy the phone with adds and later paid a fee to remove them?

In no way do I mean to go political in any way, but is there any way to tell Amazon which carrier you want to send your package (or at least, which you don't?)
I have often wondered why Amazon doesn't create their own delivery company
The actually have one. They use it for same day deliveries. Although in looking at it, it is mainly a contracting company, where your company does local deliveries for them.

Amazon acquires Ring's smart doorbell business

It's taking Nest head-on.

If it wasn't already evident that Amazon wants a stronger foothold in the smart home space, it is now. Amazon has acquired Ring, the device maker best known for its smart doorbells. The terms of the deal aren't clear, but it's expected that Amazon will keep the core Ring business intact while finding ways to integrate its work into the Amazon ecosystem. Ring already supports Alexa voice control, so we'd expect more than just obvious tie-ins.

The two companies aren't specific about their plans. In a statement, Amazon told Engadget it was "excited" to work with Ring and aid in its "mission to keep homes safe and secure." Ring said it could "achieve even more" by allying itself with Amazon as it focuses on its "vision for safer neighborhoods."

LAUNCH said:

If it wasn't already evident that Amazon wants a stronger foothold in the smart home space, it is now. Amazon has acquired Ring, the device maker best known for its smart doorbells. The terms of the deal aren't clear, but it's expected that Amazon will keep the core Ring business intact while finding ways to integrate its work into the Amazon ecosystem. Ring already supports Alexa voice control, so we'd expect more than just obvious tie-ins.

The two companies aren't specific about their plans. In a statement, Amazon told Engadget it was "excited" to work with Ring and aid in its "mission to keep homes safe and secure." Ring said it could "achieve even more" by allying itself with Amazon as it focuses on its "vision for safer neighborhoods."
So the FedEx guy walks up to your door and your smart doorbell with a built in barcode scanner. Scans the package, and Alexa tells you your 10 pounds of subscribe and save Doritos is here?

So the FedEx guy walks up to your door and your smart doorbell with a built in barcode scanner. Scans the package, and Alexa tells you your 10 pounds of subscribe and save Doritos is here?
Presumably, Amazon delivery guy comes to your door, lets himself in if no one is home, locks the door as he leaves.

LAUNCH said:

I was already confused in a world where we had to choose to be either an "Apple family" or and "Android Family."  We have ipods and ipads, Samsung tabs, Windows laptops, Android phones, Amazon Fires, Kindles, Echos, etc.  Now, it seems we also eventually have to go all-in on Google or Amazon.  TV, hardware, music, home security, entertainment options.  Once you go hard down one path or the other, all your electronics and "smart" stuff in your home ends up locking you in for life.

I was already confused in a world where we had to choose to be either an "Apple family" or and "Android Family."  We have ipods and ipads, Samsung tabs, Windows laptops, Android phones, Amazon Fires, Kindles, Echos, etc.  Now, it seems we also eventually have to go all-in on Google or Amazon.  TV, hardware, music, home security, entertainment options.  Once you go hard down one path or the other, all your electronics and "smart" stuff in your home ends up locking you in for life.
Definitely Apple versus anyone else but I'm not worried about Google and Amazon as both run on Android.  Sure Amazon plays around with keeping Google apps off it's mobile devices, but, it's just a marketing ploy because they can all be run in browsers anyway or added under developer options.

And I wouldn't worry about smart stuff, there are tons of manufacturers and all they have to do is make devices that connect to the internet.  It's Alexa or Google Home that turns them on and off and it would be a huge advantage to the other if one of them suddenly decided to limit devices.  

ETA: All the Amazon apps are available in the Google Play store, even the Alexa app.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/brettberson/status/968882064513581056

I just learned from a former longtime Amazon employee, the idea for Prime came from an IC (individual contributor) engineer. He wrote up a 6 page memo. He was inspired by the Costco membership model. It was built as a test. It's now the key pillar of Amazon. The best ideas can come from anywhere.
"The Everything Store" about the rise of Amazon is a really good read and discusses how so many of these ideas started. 

They update daily: https://smile.amazon.com/ga/giveaways

Some you have to tweet something to enter. Some you have to watch a quick video ad to enter. Some you have to do absolutely nothing. 
Whoa, some of that is junk, but some of it is really nice. Need to set aside 30 mins to go in and watch a bunch of 30 min youtube ads or whatever and get entered for some of these.
After entering 15 or 20 "no entry requirement" giveaways per day for a year or so, I finally won this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WRG7MH?smid=A1SEEG9F55RYY7&ref_=aga_p_pl_ts-cow_title

Since my phone isn't listed as compatible (and I'm not exactly into taking tons of pictures) it will probably become a gift to someone who is. But, hey, free is free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious to know the incentive for the consumer to use an amazon back account.  Why would I want to draw money directly from my bank account when I get 5% back using the prime card?

Why do you assume that having the checking account prohibits you from using the prime card?
That's not what I was saying,  I'm getting paywalled now, but I thought the article said that people would use their amazon checking account to buy things from amazon and my question was what's the incentive to do that when using the prime card gets you 5% back.

That's not what I was saying,  I'm getting paywalled now, but I thought the article said that people would use their amazon checking account to buy things from amazon and my question was what's the incentive to do that when using the prime card gets you 5% back.
Does.the Prime card stack with Amazon Subscribe & Save? I.E. can I get an additional 5% back on my monthly 15% S&S discount?

Chaka said:
Does.the Prime card stack with Amazon Subscribe & Save? I.E. can I get an additional 5% back on my monthly 15% S&S discount?
You get 5% back on whatever you spend, so yes. The 5% can be used in the form of cash back, statement credit, or Amazon gift cards/discounts (when available, it'll ask if you want to use Amazon rewards towards the purchase price). 

And there are 2 different products. One is a Visa offered by Chase. The other is a Prime Store Card that works like other store cards and can only be used for Amazon purchase. Both get 5% on Amazon purchases, but the Visa offers more flexibility on rewards and, of course, can be used as a regular credit card (I think 3% back at restaurants/gas stations and 1% on all other purchase). No reason not to get the Visa, really.

NutterButter said:
Curious to know the incentive for the consumer to use an amazon back account.  Why would I want to draw money directly from my bank account when I get 5% back using the prime card?
I'd bet that if Amazon did this, they'd have some type of rewards similar to Prime Visa when using the "checking account". I assume Amazon is trying to do this to save money on merchant fees. Chase likely gives them a great deal with the Visa, but I figure they'd still get a better deal when customers pay with some sort of Amazon branded checking account. 

I could see it just being 5% with both. Chase takes a hit on the CC side, but it sounds like they are going to use Chase to manage the checking accounts anyway, so they get that anyway.

Not sure who brought it up, but prime now rocks. I am in Disney resort, logg3d in and had case or water and other snacks etc delivered to me in about an hour for 5.99. Amazon delivery guy (ok some rube from local store) called to let me know stuff delivered and hotel will finish bringing up to room. Milk was in a cold keeping bag too. Just great.

Is anyone else's Firestick options all messed up?  It's not showing anything but the Amazon developed shows and movies for me. No extra content. 

Is anyone else's Firestick options all messed up?  It's not showing anything but the Amazon developed shows and movies for me. No extra content. 
It was the same on Roku last night. They must have had some type of issue with the app. Cleared up for me around 11pm

Not sure who brought it up, but prime now rocks. I am in Disney resort, logg3d in and had case or water and other snacks etc delivered to me in about an hour for 5.99. Amazon delivery guy (ok some rube from local store) called to let me know stuff delivered and hotel will finish bringing up to room. Milk was in a cold keeping bag too. Just great.
Hold on, Prime membership goes that far??  I have been happy with fast deliveries on a few items every couple months and good customer service if need be.  Oh and a good music library on Alexa.  What else am I missing?

Thanks JoeSteeler.  So the poster that got stuff delivered to his hotel room might have been a "Prime Pantry" member?  For $5.99???

I didn't read all the terms and conditions so correct me if I'm wrong.

Disney is in a zip code that gets free 2-hour delivery of some items: https://primenow.amazon.com/?ref=HOUD12C322_0_PrimeHelpPageLink

and Free same day delivery for others: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=psdd_help?ie=UTF8&node=8729023011
Holy hell.  That's a game changer for vacations and travel in general.  I often travel to big cities and many times w/ the family, being able to order water, milk, snacks, lunch stuff, etc. to be delivered to the hotel is awesome.  

I used Prime Wardrobe for the first time the other week. Outstanding concept. Had to put 3 items in the cart to be eligible, and I ended up keeping all 3. I guess that’s where they get you. 

Thinking of getting Alexa - for those of you that do have it, what do you mainly use it for?
Music, weather, timers in the kitchen, news, control lights, hands free calling/texting...  the list goes on and on.   If a person has disabilities then Alexa can help with a lot of day to day activities as well.  

We have two dots and one echo.  We're going to get another dot when they go on sale again.  

PSA: most of us probably have 'older' parents.  Set up the hands free calling for your parents so they can call for help if they have a medical event. 

If you are talking about an Echo, I use it almost exclusively for music.  The Amazon Prime free music library crushes Google's.

ETA:  I guess technically I am paying for a Prime membership so the music library isn't free.  I still haven't found the need to pay for their unlimited music service.  YMMV
Oh, if you have a SiriusXM subscription you can play all those stations as well.  'Alexa Play AltNation on SiriusXM'...   :headbang:  

If you are talking about an Echo, I use it almost exclusively for music.  The Amazon Prime free music library crushes Google's.

ETA:  I guess technically I am paying for a Prime membership so the music library isn't free.  I still haven't found the need to pay for their unlimited music service.  YMMV
Thanks.

I am a prime member and would use it for music (Amazon and Pandora) and to control our Hue lights. Not sure what else I can use it for. Just found out you can call and text people through it which seems like a useful feature.

Thanks.

I am a prime member and would use it for music (Amazon and Pandora) and to control our Hue lights. Not sure what else I can use it for. Just found out you can call and text people through it which seems like a useful feature.
You can also call echo to echo, I've been known to call my wife on the echo from another room in the house, she love/hates that.  I have also used the calling feature for work conference calls so I didn't run down my phone battery.

I totally forgot one thing we use our Echos for...  shopping lists.  

Since we have one in the kitchen we keep a grocery list going of things we run out of...  'Alexa add black pepper to the grocery list'

Then when we are at the store we can see the list on the app on our phones.  

Of course, the teenager likes to add random 'funny' crap to the list...  but I've been known to do that as well.   :bag:

Oh, if you have a SiriusXM subscription you can play all those stations as well.  'Alexa Play AltNation on SiriusXM'...   :headbang:  
How much is your SeriusXM subscription?  I recently bought a car with that capability but had no intention of subscribing.  Is it cheaper if you're a Prime member perhaps?

How much is your SeriusXM subscription?  I recently bought a car with that capability but had no intention of subscribing.  Is it cheaper if you're a Prime member perhaps?
Sirius is totally unrelated.  My wife drives a ton for work, so we have a subscription.  She listens to Sirius at home on Echo all the time, she works at home 50% of the time.  Me I listen to Amazon or Pandora or iHeart Radio or Sirius on the Echo.  I work at home 5 days/month.

I totally forgot one thing we use our Echos for...  shopping lists.  

Since we have one in the kitchen we keep a grocery list going of things we run out of...  'Alexa add black pepper to the grocery list'

Then when we are at the store we can see the list on the app on our phones.  

Of course, the teenager likes to add random 'funny' crap to the list...  but I've been known to do that as well.   :bag:
When you say the grocery list, which app is that?   That sounds like a useful feature.

Users who are viewing this thread