What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8 yrs post 30k legal battle, WI Wallaby guy obtains proper permits to own Zebra... (1 Viewer)

hooter311

Footballguy
Pulled over a roadside zoo the other day and ended up coming home with a baby wallaby. Not sure exactly how old it is, but still being bottle fed. Was able to purchase "kangaroo" formula from the guy to bottle feed it. Thing is like a big rabbit with the personality of a kitten. He spends most of his day in a "pouch" or basically a sack hanging from the doorknob. It wears a diaper in the house but won't go in it, I put a wire dog kennel outside and when you put him in there he will go in a few minutes. Likes to sit in your lap or in its pouch and lick your hands. I let it free roam in my kid's playroom during the day. I think I'm going to set up a camera, but from what I can tell he spends most of his time in the pouch when left alone. He doesn't make much noise, but it is a weird sound when he does. If you leave him alone in the living room he will sit on the couch and watch tv.

The one thing I am noticing is that as he gets used to us, he is getting a little more aggressive, and he has a blast when you "fight" back. He annihilates stuffed animals and likes to bring them back to his pouch when he is not ragdolling them. He is about 8 lbs right now but would woop my 12 lb dog and the dog knows it. He is supposed to get up to 50 lbs, which may be a little much to handle if I can't figure out how to get him not to fight for fun. I'm worried my 4 year old is going to take a KO punch someday.

The last few nights I've been sleeping with an oversized hoodie and he crawls right into the pocket. I'm pretty sure he is even starting to come when you call him.

The guy told me getting him fixed would keep him from getting too aggressive. I kind of want to breed an army of these things though.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/hooter311/2012-04-14_12-37-49_556.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, good luck. I've heard that the life-expectancy for a pet wallaby is pretty damn low.

Dude, good luck. I've heard that the life-expectancy for a pet wallaby is pretty damn low.
From chewing electric cords or what?This one is a Bennett's. I was told it would live 12-15 years. They guy had another one there that was 8 that wasn't showing any signs of old age.

http://www.needcoffee.com/2010/07/03/your-new-pet-wallaby/

There's also some behavior unique to wallabies and kangaroos. They like to play-box. Like Muhammad Ali boxing. You'll want to teach them not to do that as well. It's cute when they're little, but not when your fifty-pound adult wallaby wants your welterweight title while you're trying to watch Big Bang Theory. Also, they like water. They'll hop around in kiddie pools and things. If you happen to be taking a bath with the bathroom door not shut all the way, don't be surprised when you're quite suddenly joined by a hairy Australian...and I don't mean Russell Crowe. Unless of course you named your wallaby Russell Crowe...in which case, I don't want to know about it.

One more thing--and not necessarily a drawback. You're best raising your wallaby while they're still being bottle-fed. This is the best way to bond with it and teach it that humans are awesome. You won't need to bottle feed it for a long time; you can typically get bottle and marsupial nipples (*don't giggle, don't giggle, don't giggle...*) from your breeder, and they can be fed Esbilac puppy formula. Still, it's something most people won't want to do, and understandably so.
:lmao:

From chewing electric cords or what?This one is a Bennett's. I was told it would live 12-15 years. They guy had another one there that was 8 that wasn't showing any signs of old age.
:shrug: It's just what I heard. I think it has something to do with they aren't typically kept as pets and there aren't a lot of options out there when it comes to food and vet care.

These are actually safe to have as a pet in the long-term? It won't rip your face off or kick the hell out of you one day?
From what I've read, it is all on how early you get them. The yahoos I got them from ran a roadside petting zoo and the other Wallabies there listened and behaved like little humans when I was there. I'm in the process of finding a new place in the countryside so this thing getting bigger might speed me up a little. So far nothing has been broke and he is getting along with everyone alright. If he gets to be too much, my parents have a heated barn he can live out his days in.

http://www.needcoffee.com/2010/07/03/your-new-pet-wallaby/

There's also some behavior unique to wallabies and kangaroos. They like to play-box. Like Muhammad Ali boxing. You'll want to teach them not to do that as well. It's cute when they're little, but not when your fifty-pound adult wallaby wants your welterweight title while you're trying to watch Big Bang Theory. Also, they like water. They'll hop around in kiddie pools and things. If you happen to be taking a bath with the bathroom door not shut all the way, don't be surprised when you're quite suddenly joined by a hairy Australian...and I don't mean Russell Crowe. Unless of course you named your wallaby Russell Crowe...in which case, I don't want to know about it.

One more thing--and not necessarily a drawback. You're best raising your wallaby while they're still being bottle-fed. This is the best way to bond with it and teach it that humans are awesome. You won't need to bottle feed it for a long time; you can typically get bottle and marsupial nipples (*don't giggle, don't giggle, don't giggle...*) from your breeder, and they can be fed Esbilac puppy formula. Still, it's something most people won't want to do, and understandably so.
Didn't know about the water fetish. I have caught him in the sink a couple times and tried to reprimand him. He seems fairly intelligent, rodent-like in that regard.

How much are these things?
I paid a grand for it. Seemed about market rate from the websites I researched while sitting in the guy's parking lot.
Well since you did your due diligence...
:bag: I know, but I'm not the kind of person that would just turn it loose or something if it didn't work out. I'm in for the long term, and will find him a new home if he doesn't work out in mine. I was raised on a farm so I'm not naive when it comes to animals, for the most part.

I paid a grand for it. Seemed about market rate from the websites I researched while sitting in the guy's parking lot.
:bag: I know, but I'm not the kind of person that would just turn it loose or something if it didn't work out. I'm in for the long term, and will find him a new home if he doesn't work out in mine. I was raised on a farm so I'm not naive when it comes to animals, for the most part.
How many head of roos did you have on the old farm?

Pulled over a roadside zoo the other day and ended up coming home with a baby wallaby. Not sure exactly how old it is, but still being bottle fed. Was able to purchase "kangaroo" formula from the guy to bottle feed it. Thing is like a big rabbit with the personality of a kitten. He spends most of his day in a "pouch" or basically a sack hanging from the doorknob. It wears a diaper in the house but won't go in it, I put a wire dog kennel outside and when you put him in there he will go in a few minutes. Likes to sit in your lap or in its pouch and lick your hands. I let it free roam in my kid's playroom during the day. I think I'm going to set up a camera, but from what I can tell he spends most of his time in the pouch when left alone. He doesn't make much noise, but it is a weird sound when he does. If you leave him alone in the living room he will sit on the couch and watch tv.

The one thing I am noticing is that as he gets used to us, he is getting a little more aggressive, and he has a blast when you "fight" back. He annihilates stuffed animals and likes to bring them back to his pouch when he is not ragdolling them. He is about 8 lbs right now but would woop my 12 lb dog and the dog knows it. He is supposed to get up to 50 lbs, which may be a little much to handle if I can't figure out how to get him not to fight for fun. I'm worried my 4 year old is going to take a KO punch someday.

The last few nights I've been sleeping with an oversized hoodie and he crawls right into the pocket. I'm pretty sure he is even starting to come when you call him.

The guy told me getting him fixed would keep him from getting too aggressive. I kind of want to breed an army of these things though.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/hooter311/2012-04-14_12-37-49_556.jpg

Pulled over a roadside zoo the other day and ended up coming home with a baby wallaby. The one thing I am noticing is that as he gets used to us, he is getting a little more aggressive...He is about 8 lbs right now but would woop my 12 lb dog and the dog knows it. He is supposed to get up to 50 lbs....I'm worried my 4 year old is going to take a KO punch someday.
Seriously, nothing could possibly go wrong here.

How many head of roos did you have on the old farm?
None, I had a few Hedgehogs once though.

What's this Wallaby's name? Rocko?
I think a good name would be Wally.
My kid already has a Water Buffalo named Wally at my parent's ranch. My kid sister is going to try to break it to ride for him.I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
WTH?!??!?!!?
I'll post a picture of that tonight after work too, it's a scraggly little thing though that makes really strange noises.

My kid already has a Water Buffalo named Wally at my parent's ranch. My kid sister is going to try to break it to ride for him.I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
WTH?!??!?!!?
x2.Buffalo can be broken to ride?! :confused:
I don't think I've ever seen an American Buffalo that you could ride, but I've seen a Water Buffalo or two in my day. My kid sister already has a Brahma bull calf trained to ride and lay down.

http://www.needcoffee.com/2010/07/03/your-new-pet-wallaby/"]http://www.needcoffee.com/2010/07/03/your-new-pet-wallaby/"]http://www.needcoffee.com/2010/07/03/your-new-pet-wallaby/[/url

If you leave him alone in the living room he will sit on the couch and watch tv.

I would make sure he watches non-violent programs just to be safe.

one of the best parts of Australia. they are way friendlier than Kangaroos.

I didn't even know it was possible to have these as pets here.

Friend of mine had a Wallaby in Colorado. It did get pretty agressive when it got older and eventually it ended up getting eaten by a mountain lion

'Drifter said:
Friend of mine had a Wallaby in Colorado. It did get pretty agressive when it got older and eventually it ended up getting eaten by a mountain lion
That will happen.

'Drifter said:
When a mountain lion sees your pet he sees a slice of pizza.

'Drifter said:
Guess we won't be getting one of those....

'hooter311 said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'The Hank said:
I know what you mean, a roadside zoo by my house was running a 25% sale on rhino's. You just can't say no to those little buggers esp. at those prices.

Users who are viewing this thread