What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mock Draft - Attempt 2 (1 Viewer)

a_rackowski

Footballguy
Its not a look at me thing, This is my Christmas time. I like to share it with fellow football fans because my wife and kids just simply do not understand. Thats why I post it.

Going to post my first 12 picks, then review and get some feedback before moving on.

1.Colts: Andrew Luck, quarterback, Stanford

Hands Down, the surest thing at QB in a long time.

2. Redskins: Robert Griffin, quarterback, Baylor.

This is the player the Redskins moved up for.

3. Vikings: Morris Claiborne CB -

While Tackle is a huge need, I think CB might be more pressing and guys as good as Claiborne don’t come around too often.

4. Browns: Matt Kalil –Tackle USC

Bookend for Joe Thomas. This quote was telling to me (just my opinion) that the pick is NOT Richardson, because I do not think he has been in play for the Vikings.

“I know who that four is going to be if we stay there," Heckert told the media in Cleveland. "We are all on the same page. We know we are getting a really good player no matter what happens at three. We know we are getting one of two guys. We don't know who is going to go at three, but we are extremely happy and excited with whoever is going to be there at four."

5. Bucs: Trent Richardson RB –

I really think that 5 is too high for a RB, but I believe that the Bucs want to grind it out. With Claiborne gone, Richardson is really the only pick here.

6. Rams: Justin Blackmon, wide receiver, Oklahoma State.

Id be looking for another trade back here for the Rams. That being said, not going to predict trades in this one, and the Rams do not have anything that resembles a #1 Wideout on this roster. Blackmon is the pick.

7. Jaguars: Michael Floyd, Wide Reciever, Notre Dame.

Gabbert was only 22 years old last year. Its no wonder he did not look ready. That season of preparation however should really help him long term. Floyd is ready to contribute. The Jaguars have the most boring team in the NFL. Gabbert needs a legitimate weapon. Time to start adding some exciting playmakers to the team.

8. Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill QB

It’s the obvious choice if he is available. He may learn for a year from Matt Moore and while they develop some weapons.

9. Panthers: Dontari Poe, defensive tackle, Memphis.

Weak in the middle, Poe is a huge addition to the defensive line.

10. Bills: Riley Reiff OT

The Bills do not value the Tackle position as much as most teams, but when a guy like Reiff is staring you in the face, and you have needed to address the position for years, you have to take that plunge.

11. Chiefs: David DeCastro

Chiefs will be competing with the Browns for the best offensive line in Football.

12. Seahawks: Melvin Ingram, defensive end, South Carolina.

Hawks have needs at LB and pass rushing DE. Good Pass Rushers are harder to find so that is where this pick goes.

13. Cardinals: Courtney Upshaw, OLB

Paris Lennon has been in the league for a long time. Clark Haggins is a good backup type player.

14. Cowboys: Peter Konz C

Huge hole at Center – so Konz is the pick here.

15. Eagles: Fletcher Cox DT, Mississippi State

Cox is a guy that can rotate with Jenkins and Patterson and develop into a franchise type player quickly. Cox actually reminds me a lot of Cullen Jenkins but with more talent.

16. Jets: Quinton Coples OLB – Rex Ryan will get the amazing athletic talent out of Carolina and should be able to work his magic .

17. Bengals: Stephon Gilmore CB

Bengals will address CB in round 1 with one of the picks. I belive that Gilmore will be available here and if so, he would be the pick.

18. Chargers: Nick Perry, defensive end, USC.

Chargers don’t have a ton of pressing needs, but a pass rusher off the edge would make them much better. I think Perry will be dominating.

19. Bears: Cordy Glenn, OT

Cutler right now is the most important piece to the franchise. They need to protect him first and foremost.

20. Titans: Shea McClellin OLB

Great fit for the Titans who have had him in for a visit.

21. Bengals: Luke Kuechly MLB – Maulauga has not been what they were hoping for in the middle. He will move back outside and let Kuechly run the defense.

22. Browns: Coby Fleener TE, Stanford.

No question he is the elite TE in this draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Panthers all but ruled out Poe within the last few days and i can't see the vikings passing on Kalil. They want to trade down but even that is unlikely.

The Bills have no interest in Reiff. He doesn't fit their prototype for what they want on their OL. They like massive guys with long arms. Nix has also stated over and over again how he thinks the OT position is deep this year. I think there's a much greater chance of a CB or WR depending on who is available.

If they do take an OT, it will be Cordy Glenn IMO.

Panthers all but ruled out Poe within the last few days and i can't see the vikings passing on Kalil. They want to trade down but even that is unlikely.
The Bills have no interest in Reiff. He doesn't fit their prototype for what they want on their OL. They like massive guys with long arms. Nix has also stated over and over again how he thinks the OT position is deep this year. I think there's a much greater chance of a CB or WR depending on who is available.If they do take an OT, it will be Cordy Glenn IMO.
cant see the bills going reiff either but decastro,kuechly,kirkpatrick would be a good fit

Bookend for Joe Thomas. This quote was telling to me (just my opinion) that the pick is NOT Richardson, because I do not think he has been in play for the Vikings.

"I know who that four is going to be if we stay there," Heckert told the media in Cleveland. "We are all on the same page. We know we are getting a really good player no matter what happens at three. We know we are getting one of two guys. We don't know who is going to go at three, but we are extremely happy and excited with whoever is going to be there at four."
This is an interesting scenario. Mel Kiper thinks Cleveland should take Richardson or Blackmon even if Kalil falls to them. http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/2012-nfl-draft-espn-s-mel-kiper-jr-says-browns-should-pass-on-usc-s-matt-kalil-1.301082
“This team needs skill players,” Kiper said Wednesday during a conference call. “It would be great to say you could bring Matt Kalil in, but are you gonna pass up a running back like Richardson? Are you gonna pass up a wide receiver like Blackmon?

"The worst skill-position talent in the NFL is in Cleveland, and I’m not talking about the quarterback [Colt McCoy] ’cause the quarterback had no chance. He didn’t have a fighting chance with the talent around him. So I can’t see [the Browns drafting Kalil]. Again, you’re woefully lacking [playmakers].
I don't believe Kiper is correct here but I just thought it was interesting.

And I would agree that the Browns need playmakers, but I think that with the position the Browns are in with picks 22 and 5th overall in the second round, the Browns still will get some legitimate playmakers. Having bookends at the Tackle position as good as Thomas and Kalil could be helps every player on offense.

I am sticking with my pick of Reiff at 10 for the Bills.

I am sticking with my pick of Reiff at 10 for the Bills.
You can stick with it, but it's going to throw off your mock. In Buddy Nix's first two drafts with the Bills, his first and second round picks have all made pre-draft visits. Reiff did not visit the Bills. And again, they have a very specific type of build they're looking for on their O-line and Reiff doesn't fit that. There's a reason nobody is mocking Reiff to the Bills. It's just not happening.

"I know who that four is going to be if we stay there," Heckert told the media in Cleveland. "We are all on the same page. We know we are getting a really good player no matter what happens at three. We know we are getting one of two guys. We don't know who is going to go at three, but we are extremely happy and excited with whoever is going to be there at four."
This is an interesting scenario. Mel Kiper thinks Cleveland should take Richardson or Blackmon even if Kalil falls to them. http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/2012-nfl-draft-espn-s-mel-kiper-jr-says-browns-should-pass-on-usc-s-matt-kalil-1.301082
“This team needs skill players,” Kiper said Wednesday during a conference call. “It would be great to say you could bring Matt Kalil in, but are you gonna pass up a running back like Richardson? Are you gonna pass up a wide receiver like Blackmon?

"The worst skill-position talent in the NFL is in Cleveland, and I’m not talking about the quarterback [Colt McCoy] ’cause the quarterback had no chance. He didn’t have a fighting chance with the talent around him. So I can’t see [the Browns drafting Kalil]. Again, you’re woefully lacking [playmakers].
That would be insane if Kalil fell to the PanthersOne can dream

Nobody knows for sure, but like you I follow this stuff really closely and love the draft. So here are the things I disagree with you on:

1. I think the Vikes eventually settle on Kalil.

2. I don't see the Jags taking Floyd. They are all about character guys and Floyd has a ton of alcohol issues. (I think they take Cox or Gilmore.)

3. I can't see Gilmore or Cox falling nearly as far as they do in your mock. Both should go top 10. Top 12 at worst.

4. Konz seems way too high. He had 14 reps in the bench press. He's a solid guy but I don't think he's the type of sure thing, no weakness type Center that goes in the top half of the 1st round.

5. Fleener to the Browns seems like a stretch. They already have a couple flex type TEs (Moore and Cameron) and much bigger needs elsewhere.

I also just noticed that you don't have Barron in your top 22. I think that's not likely. He has freakishly long arms and covers a lot of ground. He seems like a very solid top 20 guy.

ORT prospects are not as highly valued as OLT prospects and taking one at the #4 pick is high price to pay but on the flip side the Browns may have had the absolute worst ORTs over the last three or four years. Truly, truly, awful. Any QB that was put behind the line was constantly facing pressure from the right side which took away most deep throws because every QB the Browns had was right handed and they were left to roll out to the left or drop deeper into any throw to the right side. Add Cleveland plays in the AFCN where their face OLB Woodley from Pittsburgh who rang up many sacks against the Browns woeful ORTs. Cincy who has some developing pass rushers who feasted on the right side of the Browns O-Line and Baltimore who got wise last year and moved T-Suggs over to the right side so he could get in on the action since Joe Thomas was stifling his ability to rush the passer. Oh and Baltimore began to move T-Sizzle around after that Cleveland game and you saw him eat up the rookie ORT, Nate Soldier, in the AFC Championship game against New England so I'm sure we'll see more of that in the future.

If you want to see the worst of the worst at the ORT pass protection then find a clip of Cleveland VS Denver a few years ago when Evlis Dumervill rang up FOUR SACKS against whatever woeful lame right tackle the Browns put out there. Oh and Dumervill wasn't the only one getting sacks over that ORT on that day. Truly, truly, horrible ORT play that has adversely impacted the Browns offense for years.

I think the ORT position is the biggest weakness on the Browns period. Even worse than the QB position but you an find decent starting ORTs later in the draft.

Its tougher to find OLTs and that is why Kalil still interests me.

The Browns have Joe-T and he's played at an All-Pro level since day-one. He's already played half a decade. Getting another stud OT automatically does something that the scouts call, stacking the edges. Not many teams have stacked edges and no one would be able to match the Browns if they had Joe-T on one side and Kalil on the other. Add that Kalil could slide over to the left side in the far future but in the meantime the Browns would have a mismatch on the edges with their O-Line which frees up the offense in many ways and prevents breakdowns in protection that the team has suffered thru for years.

Not as wild an idea as one might think at first glance to take Kalil if he's there, even above Blackmon or Richardson.

Dude, you know nothing about the Cowboys and that's obvious from your pick. Any one of the next few picks listed are much higher ranked than Konz. If they traded down with a team in the mid twenties, then Konz is OK there. No way he's at #14 on anyone's board and no way the Boys take a center with such a high pick.

The Boys like the center from Baylor and will get him in the 3rd or 4th round. They already have 2 young centers that can develop this year along with a draft pick.

14. Cowboys: Peter Konz C

Huge hole at Center – so Konz is the pick here.

Fletcher Cox DT, Mississippi State

Quinton Coples OLB

Stephon Gilmore CB

Luke Kuechly MLB

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting another mock. Konz has been linked to Dallas if they trade back into the first round.

Based on your board...Cowboys run the card with Cox on it. Fastest pick of the draft.

That would be insane if Kalil fell to the PanthersOne can dream
Very unlikely he is there at 9, but for it to happen the top 8 would have to look like this.1. Luck

2. RG3

3. Claibourne

4. Tannehill

5. Richardson

6. Blackmon

7. Ingram

8. Floyd

Still I don't see Jacksonville passing on Kailil for Floyd or Ingram.

Users who are viewing this thread