What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***David Wilson Bandwagon*** (5 Viewers)

The only thing scaring me away from Wilson is that Ware is still ahead of him on the depth chart. I could understand if he was in a deep talented backfield like San Fran or something, but outside of Bradshaw the entire backfield is terrible. Could be a case of being in Tom Coughlin's dog house, but I'm hoping to see some improvement. Banking on him being a dressable guy in fantasy this year
Playing fantasy football for almost 20 years now and the last thing I would ever think about is the "depth chart" during the second week of preseason.

He is clearly RB3/4 on the depth charts right now. I have started to ice my projections down some for him. He was running at the end of the game last night with the 4th team, I think that says something.

He is clearly RB3/4 on the depth charts right now. I have started to ice my projections down some for him. He was running at the end of the game last night with the 4th team, I think that says something.
I think that's indicative of missed blocks and not knowing his playbook very well during the first week of preseason. Kind of Coughlin's way of saying, "look I now you're about as badass running the ball as it gets, but there's more to being a RB then just taking a handoff"On one hand you have Coughlin usually favoring a vet RB and then you have Ware being pretty unimpressive yesterday. I'm not going to bank on Wilson being a stud RB in his rookie season, but with Bradshaw's injury history his opportunity could come faster than I expect. He'll get there, but temper your expectations in year one folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? A little surprised at this coming from you.
I think that's indicative of missed blocks and not knowing his playbook very well during the first week of preseason. Kind of Coughlin's way of saying, "look I now you're about as badass running the ball as it gets, but there's more to being a RB then just taking a handoff"On one hand you have Coughlin usually favoring a vet RB and then you have Ware being pretty unimpressive yesterday. I'm not going to bank on Wilson being a stud RB in his rookie season, but with Bradford's injury history his opportunity could come faster than I expect. He'll get there, but temper your expectations in year one folks.
I get the feeling I'm wrong here :)I understand what you both mean but I am having a hard time accepting him running the clock out in the preseason. I hope he is in the 1st half of next week's game, otherwise I don't think he is such a bargain in the 8th-9th round anymore. There's too many options.

He is actually starting to slide a bit. In our rookie/FA draft last night I got him with the 1.7 after Richardson, Luck, Martin, RGIII, Hillman, and Blackmon.

Dynasty speaking, what is this guys upside? Let's say he learns to be an NFL quality runner and gets 300 touches. Very intrigued by him, seems to have his own style when he runs.

Dynasty speaking, what is this guys upside? Let's say he learns to be an NFL quality runner and gets 300 touches. Very intrigued by him, seems to have his own style when he runs.
IMO dynasty wise he has all the skills and supporting cast to be the best RB of the class. I'm just thinking he's not going to take an early lead in his rookie season because of deficiencies in teachable areas like blocking.

@MikeGarafolo

Coughlin said Wilson's first-team reps ahead of Ware were scheduled. But doesn't sound thrilled with Ware's game Sat.

Its old school Coughlin going by the old school code.

Not much else. If Wilson has the talent that caused the Giants to draft him in round 1, then he will see the field soon.

Liking what I'm seeing out of Wilson, surprised he isn't getting more hype but glad he isn't.

That could change depending on how he shows this upcoming week if he gets time with the first team offense.

Great burst, change of direction and really a lot stronger than he looks. Soon as he gets the protections down look out.

'ty247 said:
Liking what I'm seeing out of Wilson, surprised he isn't getting more hype but glad he isn't.That could change depending on how he shows this upcoming week if he gets time with the first team offense.Great burst, change of direction and really a lot stronger than he looks. Soon as he gets the protections down look out.
good stuff..with Bradshaw's inability to stay healthy it's only a matter of time..

'Shutout said:
Its old school Coughlin going by the old school code. Not much else. If Wilson has the talent that caused the Giants to draft him in round 1, then he will see the field soon.
this is pretty much it.THe NYG know what they are doing and the rookie wont see the field until he is ready to do job. No need to rush him in there and have him make mistakes that get Eli killed. The giants have the luxury of depth. Love the kids talent and potential, in re-draft might have to temper expectations but in dyno, sky is the limit

'ty247 said:
Soon as he gets the protections down look out.
To me this is the bulk of the answer. Coughlin is not going to risk Eli getting drilled and having to rely on David Carr this season. Once he has the playbook and protections down his talent will push him to the #2 spot and seeing much more of the field. As soon as Bradshaw gets hurt again, those roles will change and Wilson should see the lions share of the carries. He's going to be that guy that once he gets on the field they will have a hard time finding a reason to pull him off as long as he protects Eli and the football. Just my :2cents:

He is actually starting to slide a bit. In our rookie/FA draft last night I got him with the 1.7 after Richardson, Luck, Martin, RGIII, Hillman, and Blackmon.
Hillman before Wilson?
That's insane, the Hillman hype has gotten so out of control.
Agreed. Guy who drafted him traded up from the 1.8 to get the 1.5 from me to take him too. He likes Denver and also has McGahee and Prater.

Another thing in Wilson's favor, he's shown he can do something with the poor run blocking the line is providing.

Hope there aren't people here expecting something this year, as long as Bradshaw stays intact Wilson is just a small part of the committee/handcuff. The only way he earns a role worthy of fantasy starter consideration is if he earns it (looks like he is) and Bradshaw gets hurt.

I like this kid.

He explodes up to full-speed faster than any RB I can remember.

Not huge but when he explodes up to full-speed it doesn't give defenders angles and he has momemtum so the chance of injury decreases IMHO.

The sticking point has been pointed out, pass blocking, also if he doesn't get a shot to get up to full speed he's an easy target in the backfield and will have more negative plays than a bigger and more powerful back.

He's got a rare skill-set with his ability to get up to full-speed quicker than any back I can recall.

Interesting talent.

'Shutout said:
Its old school Coughlin going by the old school code. Not much else. If Wilson has the talent that caused the Giants to draft him in round 1, then he will see the field soon.
Good posting.Coughlin isn't going to baby him - he's going to have to earn it. He's not a character concern and he's a high effort guy as well as being talented. So I think he's the type that Coughlin will like. He's just a rookie trying to learn an NFL playbook and pass protections and Coughlin isn't going to just hand it over to him without making him learn and bust his ### like everyone else. Be patient. Coughlin could be very good for Wilson's development as a complete back. And that's ultimately good for Wilson's owners.

I hate David Wilson. Hate him. Hate him with the fire of 1000 volcanoes. And that's because I'm a UVA fan and watched him just vaporize us on the edge for two seasons. He is one of the fastest guys to the corner and upfield I can remember seeing in person. There is no way that level of talent is going to be behind DJ Ware for any length of time, the jerk.

Eli getting on the bandwagon:

New York Giants QB Eli Manning praised RB David Wilson, talking about how fast he is and hard he runs. 'He's obviously very fast, and he runs hard,' Manning said. 'He lowers his shoulder, and delivers a powerful punch. That's his style, and that powerful running is kind of New York tradition. Even though he's not considered the big back a lot of the Giants are known for, he still runs hard like a lot of the running backs here do.'

I finally got onboard.

Didnt make it on draft day because no one would trade down to my 10th slot, but he fell into a bigger trade when I was moving Romo on for Bradford.

I really need RB help in this league (thanks to Redmand going backwards and ADP eating into what should have been Toby's few games to shine) and I own Bradshaw so Im now doubly pumped.

Lets see some speed young sir.

Wilson working with the 1s is a really big deal. According to Eric who runs BigBlueInteractive.com, the Giants only have 5 more practices till they play the Cowboys. I have to think the 1s are working on the Dallas game plan and not doing much towards the Pats preseason game.

I thought with Tuesdays off and no practice on gamedays, the Giants would have 9 more practices but I'm told that's not the case.

Wilson has been alternating with Bradshaw for reps with the #1s. Ware is with the #2s.

The only thing scaring me away from Wilson is that Ware is still ahead of him on the depth chart. I could understand if he was in a deep talented backfield like San Fran or something, but outside of Bradshaw the entire backfield is terrible. Could be a case of being in Tom Coughlin's dog house, but I'm hoping to see some improvement. Banking on him being a dressable guy in fantasy this year
Playing fantasy football for almost 20 years now and the last thing I would ever think about is the "depth chart" during the second week of preseason.
Good Point, I was thinking the same thing... He was running with the first team this whole week with bradshaw sidelined so look how fast that changes.. If you actually thought Ware or brown were gonna beat out Wilson you need a new Hobby :rolleyes:

Good Point, I was thinking the same thing... He was running with the first team this whole week with bradshaw sidelined so look how fast that changes.. If you actually thought Ware or brown were gonna beat out Wilson you need a new Hobby :rolleyes:
Bradshaw did practice. He and Wilson alternated reps with the first team.

I'm in.

But man, it feels like every preseason I get all amped up on rookies like Wilson only to never see them pan out to more than an RB3 play in year 1.

'One said:
I'm in. But man, it feels like every preseason I get all amped up on rookies like Wilson only to never see them pan out to more than an RB3 play in year 1.
Not many rookie RB's come in and are immediately RB1's, sometimes based on opportunity they can come in and be RB2's, but aren't most coming in and being RB3's and/or inconsistent RB2's with a good/great game here or there?

'One said:
I'm in. But man, it feels like every preseason I get all amped up on rookies like Wilson only to never see them pan out to more than an RB3 play in year 1.
IF bradshaw is healthy, Wilson will be a COP type back this season.given Bradshaw track record, thats kind of a big IF

Im all in... He will be a perfect fit ... Just needs to clean up some of his pass protection issues (not sure they are reall issues or just standard learning curve) and he will be a BEAST...

We get to see him with the 1's tomorrow vs CHI :thumbup:

Seems to be a lot riding on Wilson's effective debut tomorrow on where he will be going in drafts. Ultimately, people will be overreacting either on the upside or downside based on one game - can count on that.

Seems to be a lot riding on Wilson's effective debut tomorrow on where he will be going in drafts. Ultimately, people will be overreacting either on the upside or downside based on one game - can count on that.
I beg to differ on this point. The Giants running game was awful last season and Bradshaw can hardly be counted on to play a full 16. IF Wilson comes out and smashes and protects Eli then it will go a long way IMO.

I beg to differ on this point. The Giants running game was awful last season and Bradshaw can hardly be counted on to play a full 16. IF Wilson comes out and smashes and protects Eli then it will go a long way IMO.
I agree that Wilson will have a meaningful role in the running game this year. My point is that if he goes 15-90-2, he'll rocket up the draft boards, but if he goes 15-40-0, he might slip a bit. Point being that I think people will overreact one way or another since this is the only chance we'll see him in meaningful action against 1st team defenses.

Im all in... He will be a perfect fit ... Just needs to clean up some of his pass protection issues (not sure they are reall issues or just standard learning curve) and he will be a BEAST...We get to see him with the 1's tomorrow vs CHI :thumbup:
That's it? Wow, Sounds good to me.I'm surprised more rookies don't waltz in and become instant studs.

On the train. He slid to me at 2.1 in a rookie draft last night. Never thought I'd see that. But this is a 2qb league so Russell Wilson made a late climb and went a 1.7.

Im all in... He will be a perfect fit ... Just needs to clean up some of his pass protection issues (not sure they are reall issues or just standard learning curve) and he will be a BEAST...We get to see him with the 1's tomorrow vs CHI :thumbup:
That's it? Wow, Sounds good to me.I'm surprised more rookies don't waltz in and become instant studs.
Often, that's exactly why a guy doesn't get an opportunity to be a stud. If Blount could pass block, TB probably doesn't draft a RB. He can obviously run. He had what 5.0+ YPC for his rookie year on a team that had no choice but to start him. Defenses figured out what was going on in play calling and he got shut down as a 2nd year player. This is the shark pool, not the snark pool. Its a legit question to wonder if the guy has a deep learning curve ahead or not.

I'm optimistic but cautious.

There are some common things that are said about Coughlin that I think aren't valid:

1) He won't play fumblers. Both Bradshaw and Jacobs have had issues with fumbling. It mainly led to changes in which back got the starting series. In this case Bradshaw will get most starting series unless he reverts back to his fumbling ways, is hurt or Wilson just dominates and takes the job. Coughlin doesn't have much choice but to play a couple of RBs with Bradshaw being on a pitch count with his feet.
What other choices did he have outside of Bradshaw and Jacobs? I like Wilson but if he doesn't fix the fumbling issue his touches will be limited as long as Coughlin has other options.
Da'Rel Scott. Don't like Wilson's fumbling and coughlin will bench him if he does.
If the Giants were that worried about Wilson's fumbling would they have drafted him #32 overall?
I agree.It may be worth one's while to see what type of plays he actually fumbled on.

It is also possible that the giants noticed something in the way he carries the ball that leads them to think they can correct the problem. I suspect the thought was that it would take half a season to fix the problem, but they expected Bradshaw would be adequate and healthy enough to hold the fort until he is ready.

as it turns out, he may be pushed into action sooner than expected.

great thread - I think I will regret selecting Martin over Wilson (in our recent dynasty rookie draft). Thanks for all the great analysis.

David Wilson Moves Into No. 2 Spot at RB (FFChamps) David Wilson, a rookie from Virginia Tech, has moved past D.J. Ware on the depth chart, as expected and will share the workload with starter Ahmad Bradshaw. Analysis: Wilson is simply too good to keep off the field. Bradshaw, if healthy, is still the No. 1 guy and likely the first goal-line option, but Bradshaw has only played a complete 16-game schedule in one of the past five seasons. Wilson is the handcuff and the future for the Giants running game.

Wilson is my pick for best FF RB from this class. Richardson is an outstanding prospect, but he doesn't have nearly the juice Wilson does. While everyone raves about Wilson's speed & quickness, most people don't realize he's very hard to tackle. His balance is simply uncanny. Wilson lead college football in yards after contact last season. This kid can be a true stud FF RB.

When you take into account their situations, WIlson has a clear edge, IMO (talking long-term). Richardson will likely outscore him this season, but it's only a matter of time before Wilson is the Giants workhorse RB.

Wilson is my pick for best FF RB from this class. Richardson is an outstanding prospect, but he doesn't have nearly the juice Wilson does. While everyone raves about Wilson's speed & quickness, most people don't realize he's very hard to tackle. His balance is simply uncanny. Wilson lead college football in yards after contact last season. This kid can be a true stud FF RB.When you take into account their situations, WIlson has a clear edge, IMO (talking long-term). Richardson will likely outscore him this season, but it's only a matter of time before Wilson is the Giants workhorse RB.
I'll take Richardson. NEFC

Users who are viewing this thread