What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (8 Viewers)

Does he have a real chance at being the starting QB week 1, or is this "competition" a big charade?
I don't think it's a charade but I think Flynn has a huge edge in nfl experience and would be surprised if he isn't the starter week 1. As good as Wilson has looked, it's still been against 2nd and 3rd team players. He's obviously above that level and I'm sure that in time he will be that good against starters, but getting a few months or a season as a backup could be invaluable in his long term NFL stardom. I think it's definitely Flynn's job to lose and Carroll doesn't seem to be afraid to disregard contract status or stick to a decision just for pride, but he'll be making the decision based on far, far more than what we see in preseason games.

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of pre-season football so far this year. The two best performances I've seen by any QB thus far were Andrew Luck vs. the Rams and Wilson last night vs. the Broncos. Not sure how to define 'it', but Wilson has it. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him win this job and have the organization go with their future now. Pete needs to make a bold move or he won't have a job for much longer. IMO.
What are you basing your opinion about Carroll's tenuous situation on?

Seriously, everyone is going gaga over a guy who orchestrated two TDs against 2nd Stringers?

The guy above him in the depth chart once threw for:

6 Touchdowns / 518 Yards / 31 Completions

In ONE regular season game.
I hate this argument. The Seahawks RB, Receivers and Oline where second stringers as well. It's not like Wilson took the 1st string unit and marched up and down the field against the Broncos backups.I'm not as excited as the Scientist but I do think Wilson is more talented than Flynn and will at some point in the 2012 rip the starting job from him.
Hey tough guy, I wasn't discounting it. I was saying it pales in comparison to what Matt Flynn has done at the actual NFL level. If you are impressed by pre-season against scrubs then you should be BLOWN away by what Matt Flynn did.If you still like Wilson more, fine but don't pick and choose when you want to use your logic. Because at that point you are not using logic.
Why are you calling him a "tough guy"?
Because I am behind a computer screen.

I continue to be amazed at how quickly flynn's actual nfl performances are forgotten in favor of the shiney new thing. Wilson may one day be a superstar, but he's not exactly trying to take the job from Kevin kolb or Joe Webb here...
He played in a couple of games with one of the most talented offensive rosters in the league. Now he plays on the Seahawks.

Russell is too good to not win the starting job sooner than later.
Even if he is the future, why are people so certain that the Seahawks won't follow the path of teams like tennessee and let the young guy sit a year while he learns the 7-day-a-week pace of the nfl? He certainly has physical talent, but we have yet to see against a strong defense. Furthermore, they gave Flynn 10 million guaranteed. That's a lot of jack to have sitting on the bench.
He wouldn't be in the QB competition if that was the case. His performance this offseason impressed them enough to make it a 3 way competition and now send Tjax to the trading block. All signs point to yes.
We don't even know if there is a competition. It's just as likely that the Seahawks came to the same conclusion everyone else did: Jackson is not good. So they brought in two new guys, including a player from a stellar system who has had success in nfl games, and tried to say the right things to ship Jackson out of town for something in return. Every team in the league has a second d string qb.
That's true. They haven't been willing ti start him with the #1's but I think if Flynn starts the season ilson will be in there before long.In GB Flynn started 2 games-I wasn't impressed with the 1st but last years made him $Millions. He's played well but extremely conservatively.He is making a lot of money, but if money is a consideration Wilson will help sell seats. The guy is fun to watch.

Seriously, everyone is going gaga over a guy who orchestrated two TDs against 2nd Stringers?

I hate this argument. The Seahawks RB, Receivers and Oline where second stringers as well. It's not like Wilson took the 1st string unit and marched up and down the field against the Broncos backups.I'm not as excited as the Scientist but I do think Wilson is more talented than Flynn and will at some point in the 2012 rip the starting job from him.
Hey tough guy, I wasn't discounting it. I was saying it pales in comparison to what Matt Flynn has done at the actual NFL level. If you are impressed by pre-season against scrubs then you should be BLOWN away by what Matt Flynn did.If you still like Wilson more, fine but don't pick and choose when you want to use your logic. Because at that point you are not using logic.
Jeez settle down dude. It's not like I said you're a ####### idiot because he was playing with 2nd stringers as well. Quit taking things so personally. I like Flynn too and he has proven it in the NFL albeit 2 NFL games is a pretty small sample size. I'm just pointing out that in my opinion Wilson has more talent and eventually will take over as the starter. Wilson has a stronger arm and is a better athlete. Both are intelligent so the only advantage that Flynn has is experience. That's why I feel he'll win the starting job but that eventually talent will take over and Wilson has that.Sorry if I offended you...just trying to make a point. I guess I'll quit quoting your posts since you seem to have real thin skin.

Jeez settle down dude. It's not like I said you're a ####### idiot because he was playing with 2nd stringers as well. Quit taking things so personally. I like Flynn too and he has proven it in the NFL albeit 2 NFL games is a pretty small sample size. I'm just pointing out that in my opinion Wilson has more talent and eventually will take over as the starter. Wilson has a stronger arm and is a better athlete. Both are intelligent so the only advantage that Flynn has is experience. That's why I feel he'll win the starting job but that eventually talent will take over and Wilson has that.Sorry if I offended you...just trying to make a point. I guess I'll quit quoting your posts since you seem to have real thin skin.
I was more off-put by the fact that instead of commenting on my actual point, you implied that I was downplaying preseason action when my original post had nothing to do with that. My point was that while Wilson has been impressive in preseason, Flynn has been impressive in a regulation game.I did not make any comments about Wilson's actual performance but rather tried to create a comparison to the two like Abraham did.

Why you took my post to nitpick those who try to discredit preseason games is beyond me and that is why I was hostile. And before there is any confusion as to which side I'm on Flynn or Wilson, in dynasty, I own both.

I hope they're both lights out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of pre-season football so far this year. The two best performances I've seen by any QB thus far were Andrew Luck vs. the Rams and Wilson last night vs. the Broncos. Not sure how to define 'it', but Wilson has it. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him win this job and have the organization go with their future now. Pete needs to make a bold move or he won't have a job for much longer. IMO.
you clearly missed Kirk Cousins carving up the Bears last night. 18/23 for 264 and 3 TDs (No INTs) and he looked poised and as NFL ready as any rookie this year. When all is said and Done, Luck and Cousins will be the two NFL QBs from this draft. Wilson is little more than Akili lite...who benefited greatly from an O line and stud RB in his one year at Wisconsin. he may hang around like wallace has, but that's about his ceiling.

Well, Detroit's secondary is the equivalent of most teams' 3rd string.

you clearly missed Kirk Cousins carving up the Bears last night. 18/23 for 264 and 3 TDs (No INTs) and he looked poised and as NFL ready as any rookie this year. When all is said and Done, Luck and Cousins will be the two NFL QBs from this draft. Wilson is little more than Akili lite...who benefited greatly from an O line and stud RB in his one year at Wisconsin. he may hang around like wallace has, but that's about his ceiling.
I don't think you watched many Wisconsin games if you think it was just that Oline and RB that made Wilson look that way.The guy was darn good.

I continue to be amazed at how quickly flynn's actual nfl performances are forgotten in favor of the shiney new thing. Wilson may one day be a superstar, but he's not exactly trying to take the job from Kevin kolb or Joe Webb here...
He played in a couple of games with one of the most talented offensive rosters in the league. Now he plays on the Seahawks.
So does Wilson. :confused:
:lmao: Congrats on missing the point.

Russell is too good to not win the starting job sooner than later.
Even if he is the future, why are people so certain that the Seahawks won't follow the path of teams like tennessee and let the young guy sit a year while he learns the 7-day-a-week pace of the nfl? He certainly has physical talent, but we have yet to see against a strong defense. Furthermore, they gave Flynn 10 million guaranteed. That's a lot of jack to have sitting on the bench.
He wouldn't be in the QB competition if that was the case. His performance this offseason impressed them enough to make it a 3 way competition and now send Tjax to the trading block. All signs point to yes.
We don't even know if there is a competition. It's just as likely that the Seahawks came to the same conclusion everyone else did: Jackson is not good. So they brought in two new guys, including a player from a stellar system who has had success in nfl games, and tried to say the right things to ship Jackson out of town for something in return. Every team in the league has a second d string qb.
That's true. They haven't been willing ti start him with the #1's but I think if Flynn starts the season ilson will be in there before long.In GB Flynn started 2 games-I wasn't impressed with the 1st but last years made him $Millions. He's played well but extremely conservatively.He is making a lot of money, but if money is a consideration Wilson will help sell seats. The guy is fun to watch.
Seattle has zero problems in selling seats. Even at 4-12 in the rain the stadium is not only sold out, but full every week.

I didn't miss the point. It seemed you were dismissing flynn's success because he was on a different, better team back then. I don't know of you intended that as a slight against flynn's ability, but my retort was that it is all relative.

I don't think you watched many Wisconsin games if you think it was just that Oline and RB that made Wilson look that way.The guy was darn good.
I watched every wisconsin game last year and I can tell you, Wisconsin has never even thought of having a QB like him before. Totally cool under pressure and the best pure passer I have ever see with a UW uniform(since 1998 at least). He had total control of that offense last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see an obvious regression in the offense this year in his absenceWilson should have been the Heisman Candidate instead of Ball IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
No bias here....nope, none.

I watched every wisconsin game last year and I can tell you, Wisconsin has never even thought of having a QB like him before. Totally cool under pressure and the best pure passer I have ever see with a UW uniform(since 1998 at least). He had total control of that offense last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see an obvious regression in the offense this year in his absenceWilson should have been the Heisman Candidate instead of Ball IMO
Wilson was also very good at NC State and the Wolfpack offensive line wasn't close to what the Badgers had

Signed him for almost a minimum contract for 5 years and threw him on my practice squad in a league. Love how he's looking. The reason I took him is because he was able to master an offensive playbook at NC State and become captain...get drafted by the MLB and go to pro baseball...return to another school and master the offensive scheme and become captain right away. Athleticism, smarts, and leadership all in one package. He also has love for the game and stated that he realized that football was what he loved and that's why he returned to it. The only thing he's lacking is 3 inches.

Wilson is little more than Akili lite...who benefited greatly from an O line and stud RB in his one year at Wisconsin. he may hang around like wallace has, but that's about his ceiling.
:blackdot:Sounds like you don't know much about Wilson and didn't watch him play much in college. He had a lousy OL and no stud RBs at N.C. State, yet he dominated there for 3 years.

Nah...Ball deserved the candidacy there...Wilson did struggle at times in those losses to MSU and OSU with some poor throws and lost his Heisman chances right there.

Nah...Ball deserved the candidacy there...Wilson did struggle at times in those losses to MSU and OSU with some poor throws and lost his Heisman chances right there.
I agree he probably lost it at MSU, just because of the way QBs are measured in the Heisman race... his undefeated team lost and he threw two interceptions. Though he very nicely led the team from behind to tie that game on the road.At Ohio State the next week, he threw for 3 TDs and had 0 turnovers. Again, he led Wisconsin from behind late in the 4th quarter, only to see a long TD beat them (40 yard TD pass for Ohio State with 20 seconds left).It's unfortunate that those last second losses would hurt Wilson but not Ball in the Heisman race. But that seems to be how it works.

- 14-18 in two years in arguably the worst division in football.- Sub .500 record as an NFL head coach across three stops.- An impatient owner in Paul Allen who demands better than average.- A city that had to stomach horrendous QB play last season.I dunno...he could very well be in line to coach the team forever. I doubt it, though. He hasn't exactly demonstrated the ability to win at this level consistently. Dominating a weak Pac-10 in football with every built in advantage you can think of (and cheating on top of it) <> an elite NFL coach. Wilson isn't battling Tom Brady or Drew Brees here. Matt Flyn is as much an unknown as Wilson is. Piloting the offensively loaded Green Bay Packers while the defense has little to no game tape on you is one thing. Sustaining that success for a season on a team with less talent is another. We'll see in time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Carroll go with Wilson.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

- 14-18 in two years in arguably the worst division in football.- Sub .500 record as an NFL head coach across three stops.- An impatient owner in Paul Allen who demands better than average.- A city that had to stomach horrendous QB play last season.I dunno...he could very well be in line to coach the team forever. I doubt it, though. He hasn't exactly demonstrated the ability to win at this level consistently. Dominating a weak Pac-10 in football with every built in advantage you can think of (and cheating on top of it) <> an elite NFL coach. Wilson isn't battling Tom Brady or Drew Brees here. Matt Flyn is as much an unknown as Wilson is. Piloting the offensively loaded Green Bay Packers while the defense has little to no game tape on you is one thing. Sustaining that success for a season on a team with less talent is another. We'll see in time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Carroll go with Wilson.
:tinfoilhat: Really people? Lets see....Flynn has spent how many years on an NFL team? Which has developed more starting NFL quarterbacks for other teams than every other team. Where at which he started twice, one time setting the all time team record for touchdown passes? Exceeding a couple of qbs you might of heard of - Star, Dickey, Favre, Rodgers, among others. But sure - Flynn is as much unknown as some rookie.

At first, even though I watched him amaze me every single game, I thought he was just a great college qb that wouldn't transfer to the pro's. It is pretty clear right now that he should have been a 1st round pick. I disregarded anyone questioning his height, because Wisconsin has the biggest offensive linemen you can find, and half of them end up in the pro's. His smarts, the way he can run a team, his accuracy and his strong arm, plus athleticism..it is pretty clear he will be the Seahawks franchise quarterback. I think he will be a solid qb2 the moment he takes the job this year.

Signed him for almost a minimum contract for 5 years and threw him on my practice squad in a league. Love how he's looking. The reason I took him is because he was able to master an offensive playbook at NC State and become captain...get drafted by the MLB and go to pro baseball...return to another school and master the offensive scheme and become captain right away. Athleticism, smarts, and leadership all in one package. He also has love for the game and stated that he realized that football was what he loved and that's why he returned to it. The only thing he's lacking is 3 inches.
Are you my wife?As a Packer and Badger fan, I like both Flynn and Wilson. Wilson has the talent and so far he's shown he has the "it" factor. But how many 3rd round QBs start their first game in the NFL? Serious question, as I don't know. Ultimately I think the experience, albeit as a backup, gives Flynn the nod here. Time will tell as both are unproven.

:tinfoilhat: Really people? Lets see....Flynn has spent how many years on an NFL team? Which has developed more starting NFL quarterbacks for other teams than every other team. Where at which he started twice, one time setting the all time team record for touchdown passes? Exceeding a couple of qbs you might of heard of - Star, Dickey, Favre, Rodgers, among others. But sure - Flynn is as much unknown as some rookie.
I'd be careful hanging your hat over Flynn's performance against the Lions. It was the final game of the regular season and the Lions secondary was atrocious. It was a great game, but I think it's a bit misleading. He also failed to lead his team to victory against the Patriots, throwing a pick-six and taking a sack to end the game. Let me ask you this: If the Seahawks were dead set on Flynn, why did they draft Wilson? They have some major holes elsewhere, so why go after a QB? IMO, there was a reason why Flynn was a 7th round pick.

It could be that they selected Wilson knowing that Jackson was on the way out and they would need another qb.

- on a team that had 9 wins the previous two years and was depleted of talent and depth across the board. One of those wins was an all time classic win, in the playoffs. More importantly, it's areas with massive turnover. - 10 years of college in between. Not comparable IMO. Plus the team is improving which is more important than record in the first few years. He's still building the team that will be his legacy, this season is when the judging of his tenure should really start. - When has Allen been impatient? And don't say Mora because that was a completely justifiable move and had to happen while replacing the idiot GM that ruined the team, with whom Allen was very patient despite massive decline every year of his tenure. - A city that's sold out every game in that stadium, that understands a rebuil doesn't happen in 2 years, that realizes a player signed for 2 years isn't meant to be "the answer" at QB. As for cheating, I fail to see how Bush's parents living for free after he already was a star at USC was cheating. Didn't affect the game whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carroll go with Wilson either. I think it's inevitable. But that's not my point. My point is that Carroll's job isn't even close to being in jeopardy for at least another two years. The decision of who starts week 1 will be based on what the coaching staff sees in more than just the preseason games.

One factor that would point to Flynn starting is Seattle OC Darell Bevell. It not the first time he designed an offense around a former Green Bay QB.

- on a team that had 9 wins the previous two years and was depleted of talent and depth across the board. One of those wins was an all time classic win, in the playoffs. More importantly, it's areas with massive turnover. - 10 years of college in between. Not comparable IMO. Plus the team is improving which is more important than record in the first few years. He's still building the team that will be his legacy, this season is when the judging of his tenure should really start. - When has Allen been impatient? And don't say Mora because that was a completely justifiable move and had to happen while replacing the idiot GM that ruined the team, with whom Allen was very patient despite massive decline every year of his tenure. - A city that's sold out every game in that stadium, that understands a rebuil doesn't happen in 2 years, that realizes a player signed for 2 years isn't meant to be "the answer" at QB. As for cheating, I fail to see how Bush's parents living for free after he already was a star at USC was cheating. Didn't affect the game whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carroll go with Wilson either. I think it's inevitable. But that's not my point. My point is that Carroll's job isn't even close to being in jeopardy for at least another two years. The decision of who starts week 1 will be based on what the coaching staff sees in more than just the preseason games.
:goodposting: Pete Carroll has 1 more playoff win with the Seahawks than Mike Smith does with the Falcons. Just sayin.

If USC wasn't cheating, why did the NCAA drop the hammer on them?Allen owns a basketball team. He fired Rich Cho as GM less than a year into his contract. If that's not impatient, I don't know what is. Cho, btw, was right about the direction of the team, but Allen didn't want to listen to the advice of a man he hired to provide insight. Odd. Citing the sell out streak is meaningless to me. Seattle is a huge city with two pro options and one of them has been a doormat for several years now. Selling out 8 home games in a city that large and that starved for spots entertainment is not monumental. They went to the games when Mora was coach too. And what about the boneheaded moves he and his staff made? Charlie Whitehurst? Lendale White? You cannot piss away draft picks like that and yet that's precisely what Seattle and Carroll did here. There wasn't an NFL Exec in the league that didn't scrutinize the Whitehurst trade. We'll see. I don't think he's a very good NFL coach, but he could prove me wrong. I think his style is better suited for college, but perhaps this is the year he puts it all together.

:goodposting: Pete Carroll has 1 more playoff win with the Seahawks than Mike Smith does with the Falcons. Just sayin.
Yeah, and Barry Switzer has one more Super Bowl win than Marv Levy. Just saying.

If USC wasn't cheating, why did the NCAA drop the hammer on them?Allen owns a basketball team. He fired Rich Cho as GM less than a year into his contract. If that's not impatient, I don't know what is. Cho, btw, was right about the direction of the team, but Allen didn't want to listen to the advice of a man he hired to provide insight. Odd. Citing the sell out streak is meaningless to me. Seattle is a huge city with two pro options and one of them has been a doormat for several years now. Selling out 8 home games in a city that large and that starved for spots entertainment is not monumental. They went to the games when Mora was coach too. And what about the boneheaded moves he and his staff made? Charlie Whitehurst? Lendale White? You cannot piss away draft picks like that and yet that's precisely what Seattle and Carroll did here. There wasn't an NFL Exec in the league that didn't scrutinize the Whitehurst trade. We'll see. I don't think he's a very good NFL coach, but he could prove me wrong. I think his style is better suited for college, but perhaps this is the year he puts it all together.
There's so much wrong with this post that it isn't worth responding to, other than this post to state there is so much wrong with it and it isn't worth responding to.

There's so much wrong with this post that it isn't worth responding to, other than this post to state there is so much wrong with it and it isn't worth responding to.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Gotta love the shark pool people.

I'd be careful hanging your hat over Flynn's performance against the Lions. It was the final game of the regular season and the Lions secondary was atrocious. It was a great game, but I think it's a bit misleading. He also failed to lead his team to victory against the Patriots, throwing a pick-six and taking a sack to end the game. Let me ask you this: If the Seahawks were dead set on Flynn, why did they draft Wilson? They have some major holes elsewhere, so why go after a QB? IMO, there was a reason why Flynn was a 7th round pick.
Because they saw Wilson as a great potential talent and felt it was worth drafting him before someone else. But it is not like they spent a first round pick on the guy. They did not think (nor did anyone else) think he was a 1st year starting qb.Why did the packers take Rodgers when they had Favre? Because he was to much value not to take, at that draft position. Even though they had no intention of starting Rodgers his rookie season.

They were breaking NCAA rules, and you can call that cheating if you want, but it didn't affect the coaching job Carroll did. None of the sanctions had to do with cheating to win games. It wasn't even recruiting violations and the "bad guy" in the deal wasn't affiliated with the school whatsoever. They deserve what they got, but it doesn't affect the coaching job or the skill of the team.Allen has never shown a hint of impatience in regards to the Seahawks. I don't know or care what he's done with the Blazers (don't watch basketball). Selling seats is priority number 1 for a ball club. I mention it in regards to the patience of Allen. They also sold out when there was basketball in town and they have an MLS team as well. Everyone makes mistakes. Not even the Whitehurst trade has had much of an impact on them. They've made lots of trades and have never been deficient in draft picks. Some have worked out, moreso than those that failed. Who knows what they were thinking with CW but with a 2 year deal, it wasn't anything even near Kolb level. They've had far, far more success than failure.I'm not going to criticize Pete's moves. So far, the team is greatly improved and he's added the missing key component this year. It'll always need fixing, but this is the year that it's supposed to start coming together. If there isn't the proper amount of improvement on the field this season, then I might start getting a little critical but I think he and Shneider have well earned the benefit of the doubt and are in no way worried about their jobs right now.

Ok, let's do this...USC does not equal Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll does not equal USC. It's pretty easy to have a head coach not know about things going on in his organization that are against policy, regulations, etc.The Cho GM firing seems like speculation on your part and not in truth. No worries, you can certainly have your opinion and nobody can or should take it away from you. But clearly Allen disagrees and I'd like to think he knows more about this than you do.I understand that selling out the stadium is meaningless to you, but then again you aren't trying to fill it. Paul Allen cares about this and I'm certain his decisions weigh in this fact. You're wrong about the number of professional sports teams Seattle has. Can't say if people are "starved", but this is speculation and not fact. It's clear you don't really know much of anything about Seattle (which is what I know every time anyone says Pete Carroll's job is in jeopardy).What boneheaded moves are you talking about? The one where we drafted Richard Sherman in the 5th round? The Kam Chancellor pick? Oh wait, you want to bag on the Lendale White one, where we moved down 7 spots in the 4th and 9 spots in the 6th. Whitehurst? A 3rd for even a backup QB is fine really, which is what this ended up being. He didn't work out as expected but you have to take chances. Not every team has the opportunity each season to trade up and get the top QB so you need to take chances. It failed and we moved on. Yep, throwin those draft picks away. And you know every NFL exec scrutinized this pick because you're every NFL exec? Speculation again, and just your opinion.Most of your post is opinion or just wrong. It wasn't worth responding to and I'm amazed I didn't stop writing this mid-way through.

Ok, let's do this...USC does not equal Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll does not equal USC. It's pretty easy to have a head coach not know about things going on in his organization that are against policy, regulations, etc.The Cho GM firing seems like speculation on your part and not in truth. No worries, you can certainly have your opinion and nobody can or should take it away from you. But clearly Allen disagrees and I'd like to think he knows more about this than you do.I understand that selling out the stadium is meaningless to you, but then again you aren't trying to fill it. Paul Allen cares about this and I'm certain his decisions weigh in this fact. You're wrong about the number of professional sports teams Seattle has. Can't say if people are "starved", but this is speculation and not fact. It's clear you don't really know much of anything about Seattle (which is what I know every time anyone says Pete Carroll's job is in jeopardy).What boneheaded moves are you talking about? The one where we drafted Richard Sherman in the 5th round? The Kam Chancellor pick? Oh wait, you want to bag on the Lendale White one, where we moved down 7 spots in the 4th and 9 spots in the 6th. Whitehurst? A 3rd for even a backup QB is fine really, which is what this ended up being. He didn't work out as expected but you have to take chances. Not every team has the opportunity each season to trade up and get the top QB so you need to take chances. It failed and we moved on. Yep, throwin those draft picks away. And you know every NFL exec scrutinized this pick because you're every NFL exec? Speculation again, and just your opinion.Most of your post is opinion or just wrong. It wasn't worth responding to and I'm amazed I didn't stop writing this mid-way through.
No, he's right that the CW trade was heavily scrutinized. Unless it panned out and CW became a legit 12 QB, it was worthy of scrutiny. I remember pretty much universal agreement that SD got the better of the Seahawks, and he was right. However, it wasn't a steep price and didn' set the club back anything, if at all, in terms of developing the team. Two year contract, a tryout. Not a commitment. It didn't work out and the team moved on, the way things are supposed to happen. They've done, as you say, a great job at identifying talent in mid to late rounds as well as from other sources like the CFL (Browner). I'd much rather have a coach who tries all the time and isn't afraid to admit he made a mistake, all the while making far more good moves than bad, than one who plays it safe or is too stubborn to admit (tacitly or implicitly) that he's made a mistake. He and Shcneider are both excellent in that regard and their jobs are tied at the hip. If the Seahawks don't show a lot of improvement this season, then next season the hot seat watch might start warming up. But most definitely not this season.

What boneheaded moves are you talking about? The one where we drafted Richard Sherman in the 5th round? The Kam Chancellor pick? Oh wait, you want to bag on the Lendale White one, where we moved down 7 spots in the 4th and 9 spots in the 6th. Whitehurst? A 3rd for even a backup QB is fine really, which is what this ended up being. He didn't work out as expected but you have to take chances. Not every team has the opportunity each season to trade up and get the top QB so you need to take chances. It failed and we moved on. Yep, throwin those draft picks away. And you know every NFL exec scrutinized this pick because you're every NFL exec? Speculation again, and just your opinion.Most of your post is opinion or just wrong. It wasn't worth responding to and I'm amazed I didn't stop writing this mid-way through.
You forgot KJ Wright, moving Red Bryant to DE, Browner from the CFL..... the list goes on and on. You can add Russell Wilson in the 3rd round to that list.

Are you my wife?As a Packer and Badger fan, I like both Flynn and Wilson. Wilson has the talent and so far he's shown he has the "it" factor. But how many 3rd round QBs start their first game in the NFL? Serious question, as I don't know. Ultimately I think the experience, albeit as a backup, gives Flynn the nod here. Time will tell as both are unproven.
LOL

It could be that they selected Wilson knowing that Jackson was on the way out and they would need another qb.
I don't understand why you look for any and every reason to discount Wilson. It's almost like an "I have to be right here" situation with you. You aren't even listening, just looking for reason to bag on a kid who really does look like he has a shot in the NFL. I don't get it. This is part of the problem with the Shark Pool right now. People come in with their minds made up and their cases closed. Then defend their argument like it is something personal. There is no real discussion any more, no open mindedness. Just prejudiced opinions. Sad really.

Ok, let's do this...

USC does not equal Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll does not equal USC. It's pretty easy to have a head coach not know about things going on in his organization that are against policy, regulations, etc.

The Cho GM firing seems like speculation on your part and not in truth. No worries, you can certainly have your opinion and nobody can or should take it away from you. But clearly Allen disagrees and I'd like to think he knows more about this than you do.

I understand that selling out the stadium is meaningless to you, but then again you aren't trying to fill it. Paul Allen cares about this and I'm certain his decisions weigh in this fact. You're wrong about the number of professional sports teams Seattle has. Can't say if people are "starved", but this is speculation and not fact. It's clear you don't really know much of anything about Seattle (which is what I know every time anyone says Pete Carroll's job is in jeopardy).

What boneheaded moves are you talking about? The one where we drafted Richard Sherman in the 5th round? The Kam Chancellor pick? Oh wait, you want to bag on the Lendale White one, where we moved down 7 spots in the 4th and 9 spots in the 6th. Whitehurst? A 3rd for even a backup QB is fine really, which is what this ended up being. He didn't work out as expected but you have to take chances. Not every team has the opportunity each season to trade up and get the top QB so you need to take chances. It failed and we moved on. Yep, throwin those draft picks away. And you know every NFL exec scrutinized this pick because you're every NFL exec? Speculation again, and just your opinion.

Most of your post is opinion or just wrong. It wasn't worth responding to and I'm amazed I didn't stop writing this mid-way through.
We? :lmao: Oh man. Okay, Jim Zorn, you are correct, I don't talk to all NFL execs so I have no idea what sort of scrutiny they gave the Whitehurst trade. I do read Peter King every week and he talks to NFL execs and he was critical of the trade at the time, but we move on. I won't bring up the trade for Lendale White again since he never played a down for ya'll, getting cut soon after the trade to bring him in.

As far as not knowing anything about Seattle, I'm not sure that's accurate. I live down the highway from Seattle and have been going there regularly for 16 years. I went to sell out baseball games in the Kingdom. I've been to a sell out game at UW. I even went to a sell out game at Key Arena years ago. Seattle fans fill their stadiums...well, not Safeco and not now, but I suppose the Sounders sell out quite a bet, eh? Are we including MLS in this discussion? Did Seattle fans not go to games when Holmgren was there? Mora? I don't think they've ever had problems selling out, but you know more than me.

Now let's talk more about Rich Cho because I don't think you quite understand why I brought him up. I was asked about Paul Allen's 'impatience' and cited the Cho firing as an example. Cho lasted less than a year as GM of the Trailblazers. There's no speculation about it - Cho was fired because he disagreed with how the team was to handle Brandon Roy and Greg Odom. Cho wanted to sever ties. He wanted to blow the team up and rebuild. He was hired as the team's architect but because his vision differed with Allen's, he was fired. Allen will not hesitate to pull the plug if he does not get the results he wants. Another sub .500 year with Carroll and I bet he loses patience.

USC does not equal Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll does not equal USC. It's pretty easy to have a head coach not know about things going on in his organization that are against policy, regulations, etc.
Hmmmmmmm....let's try this:
Penn State does not equal Joe Paterno. Joe Paterno does not equal Penn State. It's pretty easy to have a head coach not know about things going on in his organization that are against policy, regulations, etc.

Ok, let's do this...

The Cho GM firing seems like speculation on your part and not in truth. No worries, you can certainly have your opinion and nobody can or should take it away from you. But clearly Allen disagrees and I'd like to think he knows more about this than you do.

I understand that selling out the stadium is meaningless to you, but then again you aren't trying to fill it. Paul Allen cares about this and I'm certain his decisions weigh in this fact. You're wrong about the number of professional sports teams Seattle has. Can't say if people are "starved", but this is speculation and not fact. It's clear you don't really know much of anything about Seattle (which is what I know every time anyone says Pete Carroll's job is in jeopardy).

What boneheaded moves are you talking about? The one where we drafted Richard Sherman in the 5th round? The Kam Chancellor pick? Oh wait, you want to bag on the Lendale White one, where we moved down 7 spots in the 4th and 9 spots in the 6th. Whitehurst? A 3rd for even a backup QB is fine really, which is what this ended up being. He didn't work out as expected but you have to take chances. Not every team has the opportunity each season to trade up and get the top QB so you need to take chances. It failed and we moved on. Yep, throwin those draft picks away. And you know every NFL exec scrutinized this pick because you're every NFL exec? Speculation again, and just your opinion.

Most of your post is opinion or just wrong. It wasn't worth responding to and I'm amazed I didn't stop writing this mid-way through.
We? :lmao: Oh man. Okay, Jim Zorn, you are correct, I don't talk to all NFL execs so I have no idea what sort of scrutiny they gave the Whitehurst trade. I do read Peter King every week and he talks to NFL execs and he was critical of the trade at the time, but we move on. I won't bring up the trade for Lendale White again since he never played a down for ya'll, getting cut soon after the trade to bring him in.

As far as not knowing anything about Seattle, I'm not sure that's accurate. I live down the highway from Seattle and have been going there regularly for 16 years. I went to sell out baseball games in the Kingdom. I've been to a sell out game at UW. I even went to a sell out game at Key Arena years ago. Seattle fans fill their stadiums...well, not Safeco and not now, but I suppose the Sounders sell out quite a bet, eh? Are we including MLS in this discussion? Did Seattle fans not go to games when Holmgren was there? Mora? I don't think they've ever had problems selling out, but you know more than me.

Now let's talk more about Rich Cho because I don't think you quite understand why I brought him up. I was asked about Paul Allen's 'impatience' and cited the Cho firing as an example. Cho lasted less than a year as GM of the Trailblazers. There's no speculation about it - Cho was fired because he disagreed with how the team was to handle Brandon Roy and Greg Odom. Cho wanted to sever ties. He wanted to blow the team up and rebuild. He was hired as the team's architect but because his vision differed with Allen's, he was fired. Allen will not hesitate to pull the plug if he does not get the results he wants. Another sub .500 year with Carroll and I bet he loses patience.

Hmmmmmmm....let's try this:
Penn State does not equal Joe Paterno. Joe Paterno does not equal Penn State. It's pretty easy to have a head coach not know about things going on in his organization that are against policy, regulations, etc.
Did you really just try to compare what Paterno and Penn St are/were to what Carrol and USC were?Really?

I don't understand why you look for any and every reason to discount Wilson. It's almost like an "I have to be right here" situation with you. You aren't even listening, just looking for reason to bag on a kid who really does look like he has a shot in the NFL. I don't get it. This is part of the problem with the Shark Pool right now. People come in with their minds made up and their cases closed. Then defend their argument like it is something personal. There is no real discussion any more, no open mindedness. Just prejudiced opinions. Sad really.
:thumbup: When talking about rookies the situational negatives are far less relevant. If we want to knock the kid lets talk about the developmental/scouting concerns.With Wilson especially this is the case. The guy put up Brees-liteish college numbers. The fantasy upside can't be ignored IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread