What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (8 Viewers)

Does he jump Tanehill in dynasty rankings? I just don't know about this guy long term.
From what we have seen, IMHO he does. He seems to have a way to get his teammates going in a way that we've yet to see from any SEA QB that I can think of in a looooong time.Tex

Does he jump Tanehill in dynasty rankings? I just don't know about this guy long term.
From what we have seen, IMHO he does. He seems to have a way to get his teammates going in a way that we've yet to see from any SEA QB that I can think of in a looooong time.Tex
It's only been a year since Hass left. He carried that team after the SB when Alexander stopped running, the idiot GM didn't want to overpay for a guard, Strong and Jones got hurt and WRs kept dropping like flies. He was the heart and soul of that team and no way Whitehurst could've played the Saints the way Matt did. Let's not forget what the best Seahawks QB of all time did for us after only one season gone.

Carroll: Why Russell Wilson has to start

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Coach Pete Carroll made the only choice he could realistically make after watching Russell Wilson dominate the Seattle Seahawks' quarterback competition.

He named Wilson the team's starter over Matt Flynn, not just for the final preseason game Thursday night, but for the regular-season opener at Arizona on Sept. 9. And he did so without any of the reservations that traditionally go along with starting a rookie.

"This is an extraordinary kid," Carroll said during a conference call Sunday night. "He just kept knocking us out with what he brought."

The decision came as the Seahawks were working to trade 2011 starter Tarvaris Jackson to Buffalo for a late-round pick. It also means free-agent addition Flynn will open the season as the Seahawks' No. 2 quarterback despite signing a three-year deal worth $19.5 million.

"Matt is disappointed," Carroll said. "Matt came here to be the starter. He took [the news] exactly the way a great competitor would. He still wants it. ... I’m disappointed for him, too, because I know how much he wants this."

Carroll made it clear from the beginning that there would be an open competition. Though reasonable in the beginning, assumptions that Flynn would start turned out to be as wrong as the assumptions typically made about players such as Wilson. A year ago, not even the unconventional Carroll could have envisioned going into an NFL season with a rookie starting quarterback standing 5-foot-10 and 5/8 inches.

This wasn't about Flynn in the end. It was all about Wilson emerging as a dynamic force in minicamps, training camp and the preseason. He won over the coaches right away with his hunger to learn and ability to handle more than what they threw his way. Wilson outperformed reasonable expectations at every step, most recently when he led Seattle's starting offense to six scores on its first six possessions against Kansas City.

Flynn, meanwhile, sat out the game with elbow soreness. While Carroll said Flynn's injury situation made the decision on Wilson clearer, the decision he announced Sunday night has seemed increasingly inevitable. Wilson has completed 67.3 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and one interception in the preseason. He has averaged 8.9 yards per attempt in addition to gaining 150 yards rushing.

"The more competitive situation we put him in, the better he was," Carroll said. "He just has a real knack for playing the game of football."

The Seahawks felt on draft day that Wilson possessed everything a top quarterback needed except for prototypical height. If any shorter quarterback could succeed, they thought, Wilson would be the one. They saw him excel behind a massive offensive line at Wisconsin. But when minicamps and training camp got going, Carroll said the staff was constantly looking for signs Wilson's height would be a limiting factor. They gave up eventually.

"So we just decided look at him as a quarterback and that's not even an issue," Carroll said. "The factor in his favor is, he is so elusive. He has rushed for 150 yards in preseason in limited time and always at the right time and effectively. It might not always be that way, but he has shown a great sense."

According to Carroll, Wilson had only four passes batted down at Wisconsin last season, all while operating behind that big line.

"We thought he was unique, his footwork and sense of spatial awareness and how he could handle that," Carroll said. "He has a great sense, he flows with the rush and finds passing lanes with an uncanny [knack]."

Whatever decision Carroll made was going to be a defining one for him. Naming Flynn the starter a few weeks ago would have been the safe move. It arguably would have been the smart move. But it wouldn't have fit with the competition mantra that has permeated Carroll's program at every level. Besides, Flynn was unproven as an alternative. Wilson won the job by a wide margin. There was no reason to pretend otherwise.

I think going with the better player regardless of contract is good for football but will be awkward.Good for Pete though. :thumbup: Wilson is a hard worker and detailed so i don't see him getting complacent.So was Flynn a one game wonder? He only started 2 gaames but last years got him $10 million. He should give part of that to Jordy Nelson. :unsure:I wish Wilson had started game 2 and Flynn game 3 to see how he responded but it wasn't to be.

If a few inches taller he probably would have been a top 10 pick. His passes last week looked more accurate than RG3's so I would have the top 3 neck and neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russell is too good to not win the starting job sooner than later.
Even if he is the future, why are people so certain that the Seahawks won't follow the path of teams like tennessee and let the young guy sit a year while he learns the 7-day-a-week pace of the nfl? He certainly has physical talent, but we have yet to see against a strong defense. Furthermore, they gave Flynn 10 million guaranteed. That's a lot of jack to have sitting on the bench.
He wouldn't be in the QB competition if that was the case. His performance this offseason impressed them enough to make it a 3 way competition and now send Tjax to the trading block. All signs point to yes.
We don't even know if there is a competition. It's just as likely that the Seahawks came to the same conclusion everyone else did: Jackson is not good. So they brought in two new guys, including a player from a stellar system who has had success in nfl games, and tried to say the right things to ship Jackson out of town for something in return. Every team in the league has a second d string qb.
There was a competition.

If a few inches taller he probably would have been a top 10 pick. His passes last week looked more accurate than RG3's so I would have the top 3 neck and neck.
As far as fantasy and the other Rookie QBs he should be somewhere 1-3. He has the best team of all the rookie QBs. I think Luck throws a lot due to being behind a lot this year. I would put him 1A/1B with Luck for those reasons.

Sign me up. I doubted him coming out of college because of his height (and I'm a Badger fan), but he has a versatility Flynn doesn't (and I'm a Packer fan, too). When are people targeting him in redraft leagues?
I picked him up in Rd 14 of a 16 team league the other day. In the Yahoo rankings he's in the 2000s. You can pick him up for a song in redrafts if you believe he'll be productive this season.

I think going with the better player regardless of contract is good for football but will be awkward.

Good for Pete though. :thumbup:

Wilson is a hard worker and detailed so i don't see him getting complacent.

So was Flynn a one game wonder? He only started 2 gaames but last years got him $10 million. He should give part of that to Jordy Nelson. :unsure:

I wish Wilson had started game 2 and Flynn game 3 to see how he responded but it wasn't to be.

I've seen this point mentioned in several places. Basically, with his skillset and ability, if he would have been 6' 2" or 6' 3" instead of 5' 11", many think he would have been in the Luck/RG3 discussion about who should be the top drafted QB. Wilson had a higher passer rating last season than Luck did. 33 TDs to 4 INTs is a pretty good ratio.Interestingly, Drew Brees is "only" 6' - so, he is only an inch shorter than Brees and can run. Could be fun.

Grabbed Locker as a high-upside backup for Drew Brees, but seriously considering dropping him for Wilson. Would love to have the QB that blows up before week 1.

R Wilson is QB1 in 3 leagues. Backed up by A Luck in one, RGIII in another, and J Freeman in the other.

'Mortimer Ichabod said:
'NBusiness said:
Hype meter way too high on this guy. I'm selling him everywhere I own.
Agreed. Cash out while you can, his value will never be higher than it is right now!
I agree to a point. I sent a trade offer to an owner in a superflex league with Bradford as the quarterback with others. I am anticipating a counter with Wilson.

I just got him off of waivers in a 2 QB league. I dont think the hype is quite as crazy as you think... Yet

Unless you get a nuts offer, I wouldn't sell now. I expect him to, at the very least, be successful in his first couple of starts while defenses get tape on him. If you're just a lotto ticket holder, I'd cash out around then.

That said, I haven't received a single trade offer for him yet, and own him in multiple leagues.

2012 Floor: 2400/16/13 - 350/32012 Ceiling: 3600/30/11 - 700/8thoughts?
INTs seem high. He won't be throwing only 4 like last year but even 11 seems a bit high. With a bunch of very tall RZ threats in TEs and Ruce/Edwards I'd bump up the RDs as well. Lunch, Turbin and Robinson should keep the D pretty preoccupied and a mobile QB with tall weapons should be a goldmine.

2012 Floor: 2400/16/13 - 350/3

2012 Ceiling: 3600/30/11 - 700/8

thoughts?
I could buy that floor, but I'd be stunned if he plays that badly over the course of a season.

I projected 3900 yards, 28 TDs 7INTs, 500 rushing yards, 5 TDs in the Spotlight, so I'd say our ceilings are pretty close. And yes, I understand that places him very highly. I think he's got that level of talent.

Things are getting out of hand here. This is why I'm talking sell
But sell when? Sell now? Only plugged in fantasy players will be seriously looking right now, and they're only going to be looking for a steal. Smart players don't overpay for an unproven guy like Russell. I'm skeptical that there is much value to "sell" for until we've seen a few games of the regular season.

'NBusiness said:
Hype meter way too high on this guy. I'm selling him everywhere I own.
What are you getting?
I have an offer of Ryan Williams on the table right now, in a ppr league. I'll probably take it, since I have ryan/locker already.
Nice, that's not a bad offer. I think many current Wilson owners will be in similar situations with already established QB starters, so this is a good example.

I don't have a crystal ball to predict what me or you can get for him right now, but the fact is that the "general public" is onto this guy now. The hype has exceeded what this guy is capable of this year in my opinion. Let's remember some things- Pete Carroll is fickle and will do whatever to win- do if Russell has a bad game, Flynn could be the starter week 2.

Also this remains a run first offense with little to no outside playmakers . And on top of this russel is small and has to be more susceptible to injury than a larger qb .

And since the public is onto this guy now I just think you move him for nice assets. . I think the guy who wants Ryan Williams can get more but I can't speculate on what. I just feel like selling guys at hype points like this is how to win championships .

Last edited by a moderator:
INTs seem high. He won't be throwing only 4 like last year but even 11 seems a bit high. With a bunch of very tall RZ threats in TEs and Ruce/Edwards I'd bump up the RDs as well. Lunch, Turbin and Robinson should keep the D pretty preoccupied and a mobile QB with tall weapons should be a goldmine.
I want to make sure I have this right. You think his 2012 ceiling is higher than 30 TDs because of Edwards and Rice, but his INTs will be lower (even if best case) is less than 11? Tha's a TD to INT ratio of 3:1 in his rookie year on a team with one of the weaker WR casts in the NFL. Four QBs accomplished that in 2011 when throwing over 20 TDs: Brees, Brady, Romo, and Rodgers. His rookie ceiling is in the company of these guys? Not a chance.

I want to make sure I have this right. You think his 2012 ceiling is higher than 30 TDs because of Edwards and Rice, but his INTs will be lower (even if best case) is less than 11? Tha's a TD to INT ratio of 3:1 in his rookie year on a team with one of the weaker WR casts in the NFL. Four QBs accomplished that in 2011 when throwing over 20 TDs: Brees, Brady, Romo, and Rodgers. His rookie ceiling is in the company of these guys? Not a chance.
I was talking about his floor being higher than 16. I thought using the 'even 11' phrase meant that although I was talking about the floor, even the ceiling prediction of INTs was high. So no,you don't have it anywhere near right.

I don't have a crystal ball to predict what me or you can get for him right now, but the fact is that the "general public" is onto this guy now. The hype has exceeded what this guy is capable of this year in my opinion.Let's remember some things- Pete Carroll is fickle and will do whatever to win- do if Russell has a bad game, Flynn could be the starter week 2.
Carroll and JS have both thought Wilson is the future of this team. I can't see them switching on one bad game. Sorry, NGTH.
russel is small and has to be more susceptible to injury than a larger qb .
How is a short QB more susceptible to injury than a large QB? Are short RB's more susceptible to injury than tall RB's? That is a silly comment. Russell is built thick, he has NEVER been injured....so why would he be injured now? His build type doesn't worry me like an RGIII does.
And since the public is onto this guy now I just think you move him for nice assets. . I think the guy who wants Ryan Williams can get more but I can't speculate on what. I just feel like selling guys at hype points like this is how to win championships .
So you sold Cam Newton last year early? Ryan Williams on a horrible Cardinals team is going to win you a championship? LOL.

I don't have a crystal ball to predict what me or you can get for him right now, but the fact is that the "general public" is onto this guy now. The hype has exceeded what this guy is capable of this year in my opinion.Let's remember some things- Pete Carroll is fickle and will do whatever to win- do if Russell has a bad game, Flynn could be the starter week 2.
Carroll and JS have both thought Wilson is the future of this team. I can't see them switching on one bad game. Sorry, NGTH.
How is a short QB more susceptible to injury than a large QB? Are short RB's more susceptible to injury than tall RB's? That is a silly comment. Russell is built thick, he has NEVER been injured....so why would he be injured now? His build type doesn't worry me like an RGIII does.
So you sold Cam Newton last year early? Ryan Williams on a horrible Cardinals team is going to win you a championship? LOL.
I am going to go ahead and say that in no way shape or form will Wilson have a year even remotely closs to Cam Newton's rookie year. I happen to think that Wilson can be serviceable as a qb 2 this year. His receiving core is actually undervalued. Rice and Edwards can actually be an above average combo. Miller is a pretty good pass catching TE. Wilson will obviously have some games where he puts up big numbers due to rushing, but he will be too inconsistent to end up being a QB 1 play by seasons end. Also, the thing that scares me is it is very possible he gets sat for a bad run of play. You have been preaching from day one that Carroll is all about competition and everyone has a chance to play a part of the team in the now and future, no matter draft spot, money being owed etc.Carrol has even allowed a 3rd round rookie qb to win the job, but he won't turn to Flynn if Wilson has a bad run of play and Seattle start losing? I mean it is this backwards level of thinking that is making many of your posts less relevant. You have to be more objective.

I am going to go ahead and say that in no way shape or form will Wilson have a year even remotely closs to Cam Newton's rookie year. I happen to think that Wilson can be serviceable as a qb 2 this year. His receiving core is actually undervalued. Rice and Edwards can actually be an above average combo. Miller is a pretty good pass catching TE. Wilson will obviously have some games where he puts up big numbers due to rushing, but he will be too inconsistent to end up being a QB 1 play by seasons end. Also, the thing that scares me is it is very possible he gets sat for a bad run of play. You have been preaching from day one that Carroll is all about competition and everyone has a chance to play a part of the team in the now and future, no matter draft spot, money being owed etc.Carrol has even allowed a 3rd round rookie qb to win the job, but he won't turn to Flynn if Wilson has a bad run of play and Seattle start losing? I mean it is this backwards level of thinking that is making many of your posts less relevant. You have to be more objective.
What would you consider to be a bad run? You can't tank anyone after one bad game and rookies ate going to go through growing pains. If there's a short leash for either of them it's to the detriment of the team. I think Wilson would have to have at least 3-4 horrific games with no sign if improvement before the leash gets tight. It's not like he's going out on a limb by starting Wilson, the decision seems to be unanimously echoed by fans, players, media etc... There's no face for Pete to save by yanking the kid after a rough start because the only bad move for him would have been to NOT start Russel Sprout.

Russell is built thick, he has NEVER been injured....so why would he be injured now? His build type doesn't worry me like an RGIII does.
He missed some games at NC State due to injury. He missed a couple games with a concussion, and missed another game due to an injury O'Brien wouldn't disclose, but it was rumored at the time to be a shoulder injury. Both of these injuries were in 2008, and I don't recall him ever missing time in 2009 and 2010.

I was talking about his floor being higher than 16. I thought using the 'even 11' phrase meant that although I was talking about the floor, even the ceiling prediction of INTs was high. So no,you don't have it anywhere near right.
Don't know how this would be interpreted differently when the only number you actually question is the ceiling of 11 INTs, especially when the comparative is the four he threw last year. No matter though. Thanks for clarifying.

I think going with the better player regardless of contract is good for football but will be awkward.Good for Pete though. :thumbup: Wilson is a hard worker and detailed so i don't see him getting complacent.So was Flynn a one game wonder? He only started 2 gaames but last years got him $10 million. He should give part of that to Jordy Nelson. :unsure:I wish Wilson had started game 2 and Flynn game 3 to see how he responded but it wasn't to be.

If he was a few inches taller, he would have went #1. In terms of efficiency he was better than either Luck or RGIII. If not for two fluke hail marys on defense, the Badgers would have been playing for the title against LSU.

In no universe, taller or otherwise, would he have gone ahead of luck.
You have zero credibility on this subject.And I can certainly imagine the scenario you describe as impossible. There were some pre draft rumblings about RG3 going before Luck.

Wilson is a hard worker and detailed so i don't see him getting complacent.

So was Flynn a one game wonder? He only started 2 gaames but last years got him $10 million. He should give part of that to Jordy Nelson. :unsure:

Yes, the Lions trotted out NAIA players in the Secondary due to injuries last year. If someone can get 10 mill for that game, than I want to play poker with the guy paying him.Peace

Users who are viewing this thread