What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (8 Viewers)

Can we please give up on Wilson for 2012 and give Flynn a shot? Lynch is doing well with no QB, but I think he'd do better with a passing threat. (Lynch owner)
He's a passing threat, he has no one to pass to. Can't really pin any of the INTs on him today, nor his previous pick which was an end of the half bomb. I'm not ready to even come close to saying he's doing a bad job. His stats don't show it, but he's doing a good job, especially considering your grandma could keep our WRs covered.

Can we please give up on Wilson for 2012 and give Flynn a shot? Lynch is doing well with no QB, but I think he'd do better with a passing threat. (Lynch owner)
You didn't watch the game...did u?
Wilson and dink and dunk with the best of them.
What else do you do when no one gets open?
Uh, you run the ball. Remember, Wilson is supposed to be a huge threat to run all the time?!? :lol:

Wilson and dink and dunk with the best of them.
What else do you do when no one gets open?
Uh, you run the ball. Remember, Wilson is supposed to be a huge threat to run all the time?!? :lol:
He did sometimes, sometimes he checked down (which was the topic being replied to, btw).

Some of it. I watched 100% of the MNF game. That game alone was more than I needed to see. I think Rice looks good. How about getting a QB who can get him the ball? Would be nice to stretch the field, maybe even not face 8 in the box.

I did watch a lot of this game today, it was right there in my face at the bar, hard to not watch it from my seat. 25 attempts, 3 interceptions, and of course none of it is his doing.

I don't want to pile on the guy, IMO he probably should not be starting as a rookie. IMO this is all on Pete Carroll who wants to show folks how smart he is. The Seahawks should be 1-3 and looking up at a 4-0 AZ team and a 3-1 SF team, chance of the playoffs had that happened with Wilson the starting QB...not high.

I'm not starting a thread fight so don't get your twigs in a not, just the facts and the way it looks to a non fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did watch a lot of this game today, it was right there in my face at the bar, hard to not watch it from my seat. 25 attempts, 3 interceptions, and of course none of it is his doing.

I don't want to pile on the guy, IMO he probably should not be starting as a rookie. IMO this is all on Pete Carroll who wants to show folks how smart he is. The Seahawks should be 1-3 and looking up at a 4-0 AZ team and a 3-1 SF team, chance of the playoffs had that happened with Wilson the starting QB...not high.

I'm not starting a thread fight so don't get your twigs in a not, just the facts and the way it looks to a non fan.
:confused: Obviously it hasn't gone well early, but Wilson was clearly the best QB in the preseason in what was a fair competition. Frankly, I think it took balls for Carroll to start a 3rd-round QB over the guy they hand-picked in free agency. For once, money didn't dictate playing time. Refreshing.

That said, one more effort like this and it's time for a change.

I did watch a lot of this game today, it was right there in my face at the bar, hard to not watch it from my seat. 25 attempts, 3 interceptions, and of course none of it is his doing. I don't want to pile on the guy, IMO he probably should not be starting as a rookie. IMO this is all on Pete Carroll who wants to show folks how smart he is. The Seahawks should be 1-3 and looking up at a 4-0 AZ team and a 3-1 SF team, chance of the playoffs had that happened with Wilson the starting QB...not high. I'm not starting a thread fight so don't get your twigs in a not, just the facts and the way it looks to a non fan.
Agreed.This is/was dumb by Seattle. I have been quite open about how ridiculous this decision to start a rookie QB in this situation was.

Tough outing for Russell, but he has the mettle to bounce back from this performance. Having some decent receiving options would be a tremendous help.

'Chazzhawk said:
Flynn will get a shot if he gives another performance like this
I didn't see the 3rd interception but the first two were definitely not bad throws.I doubt Flynn gets in anytime soon unless Wilson gets hurt.

Tough outing for Russell, but he has the mettle to bounce back from this performance. Having some decent receiving options would be a tremendous help.
Can't blame the receivers when they caught 68% of Wilson's passes.
Yes, you can blame the receivers. They have a hard time getting open, holding onto the ball and staying on their feet to even make an attempt at dropping another pass.

Didn't see the interceptions. If they weren't bad throws, were they tipped or something?
One was a drop by Baldwin that was right in his bread basket, the last was a play where MVcCoy was wide open on the final drive and Russell threw it to where he should have been if he had remained on his feet. He slipped, end of game. Forgetting the second int at the moment, but I don't recall it being a bad throw.

Didn't see the interceptions. If they weren't bad throws, were they tipped or something?
One was a drop by Baldwin that was right in his bread basket, the last was a play where MVcCoy was wide open on the final drive and Russell threw it to where he should have been if he had remained on his feet. He slipped, end of game. Forgetting the second int at the moment, but I don't recall it being a bad throw.
2nd interception he held it too long in the pocket and got hit and it just flew up like 10 feet in the air.

Yes, you can blame the receivers. They have a hard time getting open, holding onto the ball and staying on their feet to even make an attempt at dropping another pass.
They got open enough for Wilson to complete 68% of his passes. They didn't drop more than a few passes, which is the statistical norm.

the receivers are mediocre at best - but they are the same receivers that Wilson had in the preseason when this most of this thread was written. Now that he is underperforming, the receivers are being thrown under the bus.

They got open enough for Wilson to complete 68% of his passes. They didn't drop more than a few passes, which is the statistical norm.
Only one WR (Rice) caught more than one pass. TEs and RBs caught all but 6 of his completions.

the receivers are mediocre at best - but they are the same receivers that Wilson had in the preseason when this most of this thread was written. Now that he is underperforming, the receivers are being thrown under the bus.
Not really. TO/KWII are gone. Rice wasn't a part of the preseason magic.

2nd interception he held it too long in the pocket and got hit and it just flew up like 10 feet in the air.
Yes, that one was on him.

Did you watch this game?

Only one WR (Rice) caught more than one pass. TEs and RBs caught all but 6 of his completions.
Checkdown Charlie.

Checkdown Charlie.
Like he checked down Golden Tate's two TDs last week? :banned:

the first two are addition by subtraction. Rice is a benefit, not a detriment.

They're gonna need time to develop some chemistry, which would be the case with Rice and any QB currently on the Seahawk roster.

They're gonna need time to develop some chemistry, which would be the case with Rice and any QB currently on the Seahawk roster.
good point, but still, Wilson is a work in progress, and he is NOT an above average QB like some in here were claiming.

Checkdown Charlie.
And why do you check down...?

Checkdown Charlie.
Because you're too short.

Checkdown Charlie.
Because you're too short.
That might be a reason on some plays, but for the most part it's because there's no one to throw to.

I'm a Hawk homer and I've seen enough. In all seriousness; we might be 4-0 if we still had Tjax as our starter. I like Russel Wilson but it's obvious his height is affecting his ability. He didn't see several wide open receivers today during key plays and routinely scrambled towards pressure. Shoot, the Hawks might be downright dominant if they had a mediocre QB...instead we have the worst pass offense in the NFL. Wilson is a 3rd round rookie QB, who is playing exactly like a 3rd round rookie QB.

The game plan is so conservative as they are protecting the rookie.

The problem is they have a more than capable guy in Flynn whereas they would not have to be as conservative so early in the season.

The game plan is so conservative as they are protecting the rookie.The problem is they have a more than capable guy in Flynn whereas they would not have to be as conservative so early in the season.
Problem is, Flynn couldn't outplay the kid in OTAs, TC, practice, meetings or preseason games. He gave his WRs 3 chances to catch the winning TD on the road against one of the best Ds in the league in week 1 (there's a reason Edwards hasn't seen a pass since then). He was one slipped TE away today from being in the same position again this week against a rejuvenated Rams team in a hostile dome. Those of you claiming total failure aren't paying attention very closely.

The problem is they have a more than capable guy in Flynn whereas they would not have to be as conservative so early in the season.
Problem is, Flynn couldn't outplay the kid in OTAs, TC, practice, meetings or preseason games. He gave his WRs 3 chances to catch the winning TD on the road against one of the best Ds in the league in week 1 (there's a reason Edwards hasn't seen a pass since then).
Seems like the reason changes depending on which Wilson Apologist is posting. You say it's because Edwards can't be trusted; another guy says it's because Edwards can't get open; yet another guy says it's because the O-line isn't giving Wilson enough time.Excuses, excuses.

The game plan is so conservative as they are protecting the rookie.The problem is they have a more than capable guy in Flynn whereas they would not have to be as conservative so early in the season.
Problem is, Flynn couldn't outplay the kid in OTAs, TC, practice, meetings or preseason games. He gave his WRs 3 chances to catch the winning TD on the road against one of the best Ds in the league in week 1 (there's a reason Edwards hasn't seen a pass since then). He was one slipped TE away today from being in the same position again this week against a rejuvenated Rams team in a hostile dome. Those of you claiming total failure aren't paying attention very closely.
The fact that the game plan has yet to allow Wilson to throw for more than 160 yards passing in 4 straight games is beyond bad. They are the worst passing offense in the league right now. To not fault the QB for a good chunk of that is not justified.I have stated it before, but coaches make errors. It happens all the time. Carroll has made this much more difficult than it needed to be. Start Flynn, if he falls flat on his face you turn to Wilson. Now this looks like a situation where Wilson may play a game or two longer than he should have and by then the Seahawks will be clawing back to fight for a playoff spot (this is a team that should be 1 and 3). So already they should be clawing back.

Problem is, Flynn couldn't outplay the kid in OTAs, TC, practice, meetings or preseason games. He gave his WRs 3 chances to catch the winning TD on the road against one of the best Ds in the league in week 1 (there's a reason Edwards hasn't seen a pass since then).
Seems like the reason changes depending on which Wilson Apologist is posting. You say it's because Edwards can't be trusted; another guy says it's because Edwards can't get open; yet another guy says it's because the O-line isn't giving Wilson enough time.Excuses, excuses.
I guess that's better than his opponents blindly repeating that he's too short. I dunno how you got that I'm blaming Edwards for anything other than not trying hard in his two opportunities at a game winning TD in week 1. I don't even remember hearing his name since then.

The fact that the game plan has yet to allow Wilson to throw for more than 160 yards passing in 4 straight games is beyond bad. They are the worst passing offense in the league right now. To not fault the QB for a good chunk of that is not justified.I have stated it before, but coaches make errors. It happens all the time. Carroll has made this much more difficult than it needed to be. Start Flynn, if he falls flat on his face you turn to Wilson. Now this looks like a situation where Wilson may play a game or two longer than he should have and by then the Seahawks will be clawing back to fight for a playoff spot (this is a team that should be 1 and 3). So already they should be clawing back.
Oh yeah, let's go back to the "should've lost" because of bad calls on the last play and forget that GB wouldn't have taken the lead without the same ref help. This is a team that's 2 incompletions from being 4-0, despite the limited gameplan. All Flynn had to do was beat out a rookie, he didn't do that. The best player won the job and had his team in position to win both of the losses. He's useless fantasy wise but once you determine he won the battle, you wait until he's the glaring reason for the team's failures and he just plain isn't that yet.

I guess that's better than his opponents blindly repeating that he's too short. I dunno how you got that I'm blaming Edwards for anything other than not trying hard in his two opportunities at a game winning TD in week 1. I don't even remember hearing his name since then.
Refuse to believe that he's too short if you want, but the fact is that he has the fewest passes over 20 yards of any QB in the NFL. That includes Gabbert, think about that.

Refuse to believe that he's too short if you want, but the fact is that he has the fewest passes over 20 yards of any QB in the NFL. That includes Gabbert, think about that.
And how does that prove he's too short?

And how does that prove he's too short?
For whatever reasons, Wilson is extremely reluctant to hang in the pocket, step forward, and make a through. While pass protection and rookie jitters/inexperience may play into that; I think it's fairly obvious right now, his height plays a large role in attributing to the indecisiveness and lack of pocket presence. Regardless, it's hard for me to believe that almost any other starting QB in the NFL would have lost that game today.

You're typically a reasonable poster, but this is just bad.

I'll start with the fact that I am a Seahawk fan.

I know it is a team game, but Flynn could have won us the game against Arizona and now St. Louis.

Flame away.

Users who are viewing this thread