What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (8 Viewers)

I don't think he got traded. The Rams just released him after 2 bad seasons. 
Got it...sorry, could not remember and lazily posted without researching. Joe Montana and Brett Fabre obviously but neither in their prime at time. I would say this would be the biggest QB trade ever considering age and prime of career status.

Got it...sorry, could not remember and lazily posted without researching. Joe Montana and Brett Fabre obviously but neither in their prime at time. I would say this would be the biggest QB trade ever considering age and prime of career status.
Good ones. I looked it up and Montana was 36 and coming off a season lost to injury. He was traded for 1st round pick. Favre was for a 4th but he was 39 and had already retired once. 

I wont take credit for this as it's on a different forum site from a different poster, but it was a fun hypothetical trade:

Giants get Russell Wilson

Seahawks get Josh Rosen, 1.06, 1.17, 4.01

Cardinals get 1.21, 5.21

I wont take credit for this as it's on a different forum site from a different poster, but it was a fun hypothetical trade:

Giants get Russell Wilson

Seahawks get Josh Rosen, 1.06, 1.17, 4.01

Cardinals get 1.21, 5.21
The value that Seattle would get is moving up in the first from 21 to 17 and moving down out the 4th round to the 5th.  They would only get one first round pick 6 and Rosen for Russell Wilson in his prime.  

The Giants ate a lot of dead cap on the OBJ and Olivier Vernon deals so this would more than likely have to include Eli getting dealt away which would create even more dead cap.

I don't think getting a 1st and Rosen with other throw-ins is a fair value for Wilson before trying to figure out cap implications.

The value that Seattle would get is moving up in the first from 21 to 17 and moving down out the 4th round to the 5th.  They would only get one first round pick 6 and Rosen for Russell Wilson in his prime.  

The Giants ate a lot of dead cap on the OBJ and Olivier Vernon deals so this would more than likely have to include Eli getting dealt away which would create even more dead cap.

I don't think getting a 1st and Rosen with other throw-ins is a fair value for Wilson before trying to figure out cap implications.
Yes I'm not real sure it would be enough for Seattle but its interesting to include a 3 way deal on it. all speculation and for fun of course

Carson Palmer was traded to Oakland for a 1st and a 2nd, and he was 3 years removed from his last pro bowl season at the time. Sam Bradford got a 1st, and he was never on that level. 

I think the bidding on Wilson would start with 2 1st rounders. He's roughly the same age Palmer was at the time, and has been a much better QB, with less injury woes, another thing that slightly depressed Palmer's value. It wouldn't shock me if four 1st rounders was doable, especially by a team who has needed a QB forever, and has the rest of the team. QB's are simply valued differently, and there really is no such thing as losing leverage. 

Dr. Dan said:
I'd agree it could make sense to a team that fits this. Just not sure there is a team like that
Titans jump to mind for me. They would have won the AFC South last year, if the offense could have done anything with consistency. They get Wilson, and I think they'd be a Super Bowl candidate. The defense is there, and the weapons are just as talented as Seattle's. Also a chance Seattle would be interested in Mariota, as they could, in theory, not have to drastically alter their offense much. 

Denver, though I don't know how easy to get out of Flacco's deal it would be, but I think Elway would happily trade 3 1st round picks and then some if it meant he didn't have to worry about finding a franchise QB again. Broncos had a playoff caliber team last year, they just couldn't finish games. Now with Fangio on board, and some solid defensive upgrades, I think they could have a top defense again, the running game is good, they just need a QB to make a few plays. Wilson can do a lot more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Win Baby said:
The Packers also have 2 first rounders, but I can't see them trading for Wilson. Their picks are also less compelling than the Giants and Raiders picks.
Interesting idea given the recent turmoil with Packers/Rodgers.  Instead of firsts for Russell, what about a trade involving Rodgers going to SEA and Russell going to GB?  While I don't think it would ever happen, I feel like it's not a terrible idea for either side.  Fresh starts in new places for both QBs, Wilson has WI ties from college (though a step in the wrong direction in terms of social opportunities).

Just Win Baby said:
You cannot make any claim about the trade market for Wilson. No QB of Wilson's combined level of play, health, and age/projected years remaining has ever been traded in the history of the NFL. There is no precedent.
The Patriots trading Drew Bledsoe to the Bills seems like a close comparison. The Patriots got a single 2003 first round draft pick for him.

Bledsoe was 30 when traded. Wilson is also 30.

Seattle isn’t trading him. He’s not going to hold out so worst case I guess is him being Franchised. Still think they’ll get a deal done before this season regardless of this April 15 date. 

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/is-there-any-chance-the-giants-actually-trade-for-russell-wilson/306256060

There's nothing wrong with dreaming, even if the dream is silly. It's OK to wish upon a star, imagine the unimaginable, or hope against hope.

So go ahead and buy your Russell Wilson Giants jersey, because it's your money to waste. No matter what the rumor mill says, no matter what Tyrann Mathieu Tweets, no matter how many times Jimmy Fallon asks him, Russell Wilson is not going to be the quarterback of the Giants. Not this year. Not next year. Not a few years from now.

And probably not ever.

Sorry for the reality check, but that's the way it is with franchise quarterbacks in the NFL -- even as Wilson closes in on his self-imposed deadline of Monday to have a new contract in place. The most honest thing that's been said in the months since this silly story started making the rounds came from Wilson when he was asked about the Giants rumors by Fallon on The Tonight Show back in March.

"I'm not sure if the Seahawks are going to let me get away," he said.

He's right. They're not. Because they're not dumb or crazy. And on a planet where there are barely 32 people talented enough to play quarterback at a high level in the NFL, and only a fraction of those exceptional enough to lead their team to a Super Bowl, teams know it would be absolutely insane to let a quarterback like Wilson get away.

Think about it: When has there ever been an elite quarterback who hit free agency or was traded away in his prime? It was stunning last offseason when Kirk Cousins was available, though some thought he might have stretched the definition of a true franchise quarterback. Cousins was 30, just like Wilson, and with zero playoff wins under his belt. Yet he still had to turn down extension after extension and endure the franchise tag twice before he finally became free.
good piece.

Safe to say Wilson is in that top 4/5 in the NFL when it comes to QB's. Brady/Rodgers/Brees.....now Wilson/Big Ben, maybe Mahomes.

Titans jump to mind for me. They would have won the AFC South last year, if the offense could have done anything with consistency. They get Wilson, and I think they'd be a Super Bowl candidate. The defense is there, and the weapons are just as talented as Seattle's. Also a chance Seattle would be interested in Mariota, as they could, in theory, not have to drastically alter their offense much. 

Denver, though I don't know how easy to get out of Flacco's deal it would be, but I think Elway would happily trade 3 1st round picks and then some if it meant he didn't have to worry about finding a franchise QB again. Broncos had a playoff caliber team last year, they just couldn't finish games. Now with Fangio on board, and some solid defensive upgrades, I think they could have a top defense again, the running game is good, they just need a QB to make a few plays. Wilson can do a lot more than that.
Wilson would have to agree to a new contract with any team that traded for him. I very seriously doubt he would do that in TEN or DEN. Those teams also do not have enough 2019 draft capital to make it worthwhile to SEA. 

NYG or OAK are the only viable candidates. But if you are Wilson, do you want to join the NYG this year and be the guy who pushes Eli out? Do you want to join the Giants with them having given up both first rounders this year and their 2020 first rounder? It would take quite a while to rebuild talent around him (besides Barkley).

Reasons like this are why a trade will not happen. 

I don’t think there is a historical precedent to trading Wilson. It would be akin to trading Drew Brees at 30 and his best years came from 32-35. I just don’t know how a top 5 QB in a league where everyone knows QB is the most important position doesn’t garner hefty weight without Wilson going Antonio Brown or the Seahawks FO showing they are completely inept. I don’t think either of those things would happen.  Jets gave up 1.06, 37, 49 and this years 2nd for what ended up as Sam Darnold. Like I said, I’d imagine the two ones is a starting point if there is actually anything behind the scenes. I sort of doubt there is considering the Mara’s seem hell bent on letting the Eli ship continue to crash and burn until it hits the bottom. 

The Patriots trading Drew Bledsoe to the Bills seems like a close comparison. The Patriots got a single 2003 first round draft pick for him.

Bledsoe was 30 when traded. Wilson is also 30.
Bledsoe was not only coming off an injury year where he only started two games (both losses) and the previous year the Patriots had a 5-11 record with him but after his injury he was replaced by a young guy named Tom Brady who took over and won the Super Bowl. 

Bledsoe was fine his first seven years but he never threw over 28 TDs in any season where Wilson has in three of the last four years.  Russell Wilson dominates statistically in every category such as completion percent, Bledsoe had a career completion percentage of 57.2%, Wilson 64,2%, TD percent Bledsoe 3.7% to Wilson's 6.0%, Interception percent Bledso 3.1% to Wilson's 1.9%.  Bledsoe was durable but Wilson has never missed a game, Wilson has been to the playoffs in 5 of his 7 seasons...  Total domination on every front but he actually might be the 'closest' comparison which shows that blue-chip franchise NFL QBs don't get traded away in their prime.

From Rotoworld...

NBC Sports' Peter King reports Russell Wilson wants his future salaries tied to the cap.

"If it does get done," King writes, "my source says the contract would likely include devices to adjust future years of the deal based on how high the cap goes up year to year, or based on new revenue streams." With legalized gambling potentially providing a windfall for the league in coming years as well as a new TV contract, it makes a lot of sense for Wilson to want this kind of deal, but the Seahawks might be reluctant to set the precedent. Wilson has made today the deadline for long-term negotiations.

SOURCE: Football Morning in America

Id be pissed if my team gave up  two firsts for him.  And I am a Dolphins fan.  And a Wilson fan.  And a Phish fan.  

Its not the picks that are the problem.  Paying one player that large of a percentage of your salary cap is crippling.  The teams that win Super Bowls seem to be for the most part teams with QBS on rookie deals, or a team where the star QB takes a very team-friendly deal.  We know Brady does, and I think Brees does too (although I dont know that for sure).  Stafford and Rodgers are making bank, and they arent even taking their teams to the playoffs.  Probably because they cannot afford to build a team around them with so much money tied to one player.
Brees was the highest paid QB when he signed his contract. 2-3 guys have passed him since.

Brees was the highest paid QB when he signed his contract. 2-3 guys have passed him since.
ESPN showed the top 12 highest paid  QBs  today.  Wilson is 12th.  Brees was middle of the pack around 7-8.  Brady wasn't even on the list, and it's easy to understand why.

ESPN showed the top 12 highest paid  QBs  today.  Wilson is 12th.  Brees was middle of the pack around 7-8.  Brady wasn't even on the list, and it's easy to understand why.
Yeah a few more guys have passed him that were due for extensions:

1. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
2. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
3, Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
4. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
5. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 million
6. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million
7. Saints QB Drew Brees: $25 million
8. Colts QB Andrew Luck: $24.6 million
9. Redskins QB Alex Smith: $23.5 million
10. Broncos QB Joe Flacco: $22.1 million

Lot's of overpaid QBs on that list including Rodgers.  He's going to go down as the most overrated, stat-padding QBs of all time.

How good is Wilson:

2nd all time QB Passer Rating

5th all time yards per attempt

12th all time completion %

10th all time TD%

4th all time Int %

19th leading active rusher (for any position)

Wilson is the only QB in NFL history to have 4000 yards passing/30 passing TD;s/500 yards rushing in a season.  And the following season he was 18 yards short of doing it again.

He is second all time when it comes passer rating, only Rodgers is ahead of him.

Only QB in history to start off his career with two 100 passer ratings his first two seasons.

He has led the NFL with a 110.1 passer rating.

He has led the NFL with 34 TD passes,

He holds the NFL record for most TD passes in a 4th quarter.

He did hold the rookie TD record of 24 (with Peyton).

He has that rare three times more TD passes than INT's.

No QB in history has won more games in their first seven seasons.

Put what he has accomplished with wins/SB/stats combined and his first seven seasons on a par with anyone.

He never sat on a bench, he walked right in and took over.

No QB can match this in their first seven seasons,

Two SB

comp%...64.2

TD/INT...196/63

Passer rating....100.3

3651 rushing yards/16 TD's

Ilov80s said:
How do you figure? He's no more overrated than Drew Brees
That's definitely an arguable point and merely is a matter of opinion.  The Saints run of three consecutive 7-9 seasons were with 3 historically horrible defenses.  This was not due to not being able to pay defensive players, but rather busts in FA signings.   I'm a Saints fan and obviously biased, but when it comes to the game being on the line, Brees doesn't seem to worry about stats or making mistakes.  I see the opposite in Rodgers.  Brees has only done more with less talent. This is taken from another board and seems to sum things up pretty accurately:

Shouldn't be a surprise that Aaron Rodgers is a narcissistic diva. The writing was on the wall years ago. He's basically the Kobe Bryant of the NFL and the Packers are treating him the same way the Lakers completely destroyed their franchise all to please Kobe's ego. If you look back at the Lakers, you can see where their organization started to become the dysfunctional mess it is today when they gave Kobe that outrageous contract and let him eat up all the salary. Green Bay did the same thing last year by paying Rodgers over the moon with the largest contract in NFL history and then he immediately complained about his WRs being "piss poor" and not having enough talent around him. 

Remember that time Green Bay lost the NFC title game to Seattle a few years back? Rodgers had 2 early INTs in that game and afterwards, he absolutely refused to take any risks the rest of the game. He had to protect his stats, which are obviously more important than winning games. Those 2 early INTs really hurt his stats and he ended up finishing the day with I believe under 50% completion rate. Green Bay ended up blowing a 16-0 lead, largely in thanks to their quarterback who kept throwing the ball out of bounds or to the short sideline routes. Rodgers didn't take any risks the rest of the day after those two INTs. Compare this to how Brady played Seattle in the SB, whom also had 2 INTs but 4 TDs and rallied his team from a 10 point deficit late in the game. 

I also like to add about the 2014 NFCCG - Russell Wilson had the worst game of his career that day tossing a record 5 INTs and yet, he stillwasn't scared to try squeezing the ball in tight windows/coverage and made the big hail mary pass at the end of the game. Rodgers had 2 early INTs and completely shut himself down from doing anything risky the rest of the game. 

Rodgers has not been the same since the 2015 Broncos game where he and the Packers were thoroughly undressed and exposed to the rest of the NFL. Seriously, go back and re-watch that Denver game some time and you see the problems put on full display. The Broncos wrote the blueprint on shutting him down. 
They didn't even have to blitz - they rushed 4 guys; then dropped back into coverage blanketing all the receivers. Rodgers does not like to throw the ball quick. He likes to break down and extend the play in hopes of making some big highlight play to an open receiver down field (he does not force passes into coverage cause he has to protect his TD/INT ratio). If you notice from watching him, he is one of the worst QBs when it comes to avoiding sacks and a lot of this is because he don't just get rid of the ball, he extends the play and gets sacked.

Denver completely shut him down that night. He had less than 200 yards passing and they were sacking him and knocking him on his ### all night long. They seemed to know that he wasn't going to get rid of the ball quick and would rather extend plays, leading him into taking a bunch of sacks and hits. 

Rodgers may go down as the most overrated good quarterback to ever play the game. His fans will go on and on about his precious stats and TD/INT ratio, but he ranks poorly in every other statistical category besides that. His TD/INT ratio is so inflated cause he rarely ever wants to hand the ball off in the red zone. I am pretty sure Rodgers has set a record of most TD passes from 5 yards to the endzone. Rodgers is one of the worst QBs of the last decade when it comes to avoiding sacks. So many times, he would rather take the sack than just throw a checkdown pass. If you go through Rodgers' worst games since that night in 2015, you see that everyone runs this same gameplan that Denver did on him. The Vikings thoroughly embarrassed him in 2015 and again twice last year. Even in the tie game with the controversial roughing the passer call, Rodgers was thoroughly outplayed by Cousins in that game. The Falcons in 2016 and 2017 also completely embarrassed Rodgers by running that same gameplan. 

In my opinion, he's the modern day Steve Young and he's not even as good as Young was. If you compare them, they are eeriely similar and Rodgers has put together a playoff record that is as embarrassing as Steve Young's 49ers getting waxed at Candlestick a bunch of times (Rodgers has similar embarrassing playoff losses at home). Young retired with the NFL's best TD/INT ratio and his stats were incredible, but he also had a better hold than Rodgers. Young led the league in TD passes at 37 years old and routinely was a top 3 quarterback between 1992 to 1997. You could seriously argue that Young was the best QB in the league before a younger guy (Brett Favre) stole the torch from him. Rodgers hasn't even been a top 5 QB for the last 3 years. By the look of things; Rodgers was a very good QB who went down hill quick as he aged and people are just now realizing how overrated he always was. Even in Rodgers prime, he was being outdone by 3 QBs who were older than him - Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees.

It's true a QB like Wilson has never been traded, but many teams are capsizing after pouring half their cap into a QB. Seattle was a legit contender when Wilson was making peanuts, same thing is playing out with the Eagles, Rams, Bears, Chiefs, even the Patriots since Brady plays at a discount. There's an argument to be made that Seattle would be better off rolling the dice with someone like Murray and allocating all that extra money to their defense like they did before. If Seattle signs Wilson to a mega deal they'll always be relevant, kind of like the Packers are with Rodgers, but they might not be able put enough talent around Wilson to win it all.

There is no video of QB highlights that can compare to what Wilson has shown, not Slingin' Sammie, Otto, Johnny U, Frantic Fran, Roger the Dodger, Montana, Marino, Bradshaw, Young, Moon, Vick, Cunningham, hell...Willie Thrower, Broadway Joe, Favre, Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Brady. nobody compares.

It's true a QB like Wilson has never been traded, but many teams are capsizing after pouring half their cap into a QB. Seattle was a legit contender when Wilson was making peanuts, same thing is playing out with the Eagles, Rams, Bears, Chiefs, even the Patriots since Brady plays at a discount. There's an argument to be made that Seattle would be better off rolling the dice with someone like Murray and allocating all that extra money to their defense like they did before. If Seattle signs Wilson to a mega deal they'll always be relevant, kind of like the Packers are with Rodgers, but they might not be able put enough talent around Wilson to win it all.
True but also Seattle has missed the playoffs once in his career (still were 9-7). Seattle could also draft better. Since Wilson was drafted, they managed to draft 2 Pro Bowlers, a punter and kick returner. Although Frank Clark certainly is a Pro Bowl caliber player. 

QBs are not even paid enough relative to the their importance.  NFL GMs are bad at managing their cap money, that is a bigger issue. 

It's also not just the QBs salary that puts these teams into cap issues. 

Usually these teams are built around a good young core, and they all need to get signed.  In the Seahawks case, they had Bennett, Thomas, Chancellor, and Sherman all ending their rookie contracts around the same time.  Of course, they all want huge paydays because of recent success. 

I heard on one of the sports talk shows today that Wilson's agent might be pursuing at contract that would increase as the salary cap increases. 

Instead of say a fixed salary of 20M per year, they would want say 12% of the cap.  

Pay the man his money.

That being said, I saw some clickbait article that with zero chance of this actually happening IRL had the Hawks getting Kyler Murray and 2 first round picks.

If Wilson were to tell the Hawks that he doesn’t want to be here behind the scenes, that is the kind of deal I’d see acceptable as a Hawks fan and not be totally bummed. 

Per reppaport

Full details for the #Seahawks and QB Russell Wilson: 4 new years, $140M. $65M to sign. Total guarantee: $107M. A no-trade clause. ... Now, Wilson is under contract for 5 years and $157M. And staying in Seattle.💰

Dr. Octopus said:

So 8 of 10 teams didn't make the playoffs last year..  Guess Seattle isn't interested in making playoffs any time soon..

So 8 of 10 teams didn't make the playoffs last year..  Guess Seattle isn't interested in making playoffs any time soon..
What were they supposed to do? Cause they weren’t sniffing the playoffs without him either. To be fair, GB is a perennial  playoff team, Atl just came off a Superbowl, Jimmy got hurt and half those QBs are just plain bad.

What were they supposed to do? Cause they weren’t sniffing the playoffs without him either. To be fair, GB is a perennial  playoff team, Atl just came off a Superbowl, Jimmy got hurt and half those QBs are just plain bad.
Agreed.  So GB should dump Rodgers and then do what exactly at the QB position?  Draft from the bursting supply of franchise rookie QBs entering the league?  Go with an UFA QB and load up elsewhere on the roster?  Same with Altaltan, Detroit, Indianapolis, I mean people can cry all they want about paying QBs but what is the option?

Seattle's options where what exactly?  

The only way going with an unproven cheaper option is by gambling and beating the long odds.

Lets see the list of QBs teams tried and failed with cheaper and less spendy drafted QB and how many years and how much money that cost them...  

That  list doesn't look good for last season, what did a similar list look like for say the last 5 or 6 seasons?

This was, in my opinion, always a hypothetical exercise in futility and wishful thinking. I agreed with Bracie that it could possibly happen (see: OBJ) but still thought that it really didn't belong in the realm of serious discussion. 

Four years, $140 million, $107 million guaranteed. Nice work if you can get it. 

Users who are viewing this thread