What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (4 Viewers)

During the playoffs? Yes, I agree they should be more aggressive on offense.
Not just the playoffs, they've had Wilson's balls in a vice for years. It's like having a Lamborghini and keeping it in the garage. For the most part never gave him above average wr's or a decent OL.  Colossal failure of strategy IMO.  Now people finally realizing how good he is. Am I bitter because he's been on my dynasty team his whole career?  Hell yeah.

I have seen some talk about how much better Wilson is now than he used to be, which leaves me wondering if those people saw him play early on.  He was always this good!  Okay, he plays smarter, as he runs a lot less since he realizes that he will not stay healthy running too much, but he has been an elite QB since the day he stepped on an NFL field.  He's incredible. 

Not just the playoffs, they've had Wilson's balls in a vice for years. It's like having a Lamborghini and keeping it in the garage. For the most part never gave him above average wr's or a decent OL.  Colossal failure of strategy IMO.  Now people finally realizing how good he is. Am I bitter because he's been on my dynasty team his whole career?  Hell yeah.
Drafted him as a rookie, in my big money dynasty league. 

he’s gotten me 2 ‘chips ... I’m not complaining. 

Sure they could set him loose, but at what cost? A few more BIG games? Nah. I’ll take the longevity - Pete is keeping his franchise QB safe.

i love it.

shame on you for wanting MORE from the MVP. What you are asking for? Would lead to him getting hurt. So, shush it up. 

😇

The run sets up the pass. Pull the defense in, create plus matchups downfield. That's what Seattle has done for years. They set up Wilson to succeed.

They could have him throw more, take more hits and be less efficient. Instead they commit to the run which doesn't work 100% of the time but it's still the best way to consistently good week to week. And as others have said it prevents Wilson from taking a beating and let's him take defenses by surprise with his deep strikes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Drafted him as a rookie, in my big money dynasty league. 

he’s gotten me 2 ‘chips ... I’m not complaining. 

Sure they could set him loose, but at what cost? A few more BIG games? Nah. I’ll take the longevity - Pete is keeping his franchise QB safe.

i love it.

shame on you for wanting MORE from the MVP. What you are asking for? Would lead to him getting hurt. So, shush it up. 

😇
ETA: just gonna exit this exchange.

The run sets up the pass. Pull the defense in, create plus matchups downfield. That's what Seattle has done for years. They set up Wilson to succeed.

They could have him throw more, take more hits and be less efficient. Instead they commit to the run which doesn't work 100% of the time but it's still the best way to consistently good week to week. And as others have said it prevents Wilson from taking a beating and let's him take defenses by surprise with his deep strikes. 
Not this year.  Right now, teams are far more afraid of the pass than they are the run and it's early passing that has opened up the run game.  While I'm a big believer in Chris Carson, it's really because you can't stack the box and let the WRs have one-on-ones with Russ back there.

His passing has definitely improved last couple of years, offensive line has also improved once they moved on from Tom Cable which has helped.

I was wondering how he'd look when he lost a bit of the speed -- which he has. The running he does now is much more controlled and less free wheeling. He's shown he can pass at an elite level, step into the pocket, etc. All the stuff people were worried about him being able to do consistently because he was so good at running.

Most importantly is he is just smart. He knows where he wants to go with pretty much every pass now, knows when a play is going to work, knows how to use the constantly called defensive holding to his advantage. 

Apple Juice said:

I would say this is opposite of what happens.  The running game has always benefited from Wilson at QB.  The RPO keeps the outside linebacker from crashing in on the RB.  That's one less person to worry about and probably accounts for 1/2 to 1 yard per carry.  The play action fake also causes the whole defensive line to pause when facing a running play (is it a run or do I need to contain Wilson in the pocket).  Good RB's become great RB's in Seattle.

People who have watched this guy throughout his career know what his value is.  And this is with possibly the worse offensive lines and most questionable play calling throughout the last 8 years.

Even this year Seattle's recipe for success is to have Wilson game manage for 3 quarters and to take the handcuffs off in the 4th quarter when the games on the line.

Russell Wilson completed just 20-of-41 passes for 241 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Seahawks' 30-16, Week 7 loss to the Ravens.

Wilson tossed his first interception of the season in this one, as Marcus Peters picked off a terrible soft-toss to the right and took it all the way to the house in his Ravens debut. The steady rain didn't aid Wilson as a passer, but he just seemed off today. Wilson definitely missed red-zone threat Will Dissly on Sunday, as the Seahawks settled for three short field goals. His touchdown did go to Tyler Lockett from eight yards out. Wilson gets a smash spot at the collapsed Falcons in Week 8 under the dome in Atlanta.

Oct 20, 2019, 7:41 PM ET

Anyone catch the game? What happened here, was it missing Dissly?
Pouring rain hurt both passing games a lot. Not as much as the 49ers/Redskins game obviously, but quite a bit. They may have missed Dissly in the redzone, they seem to want Metcalf to be the redzone weapon, but the timing isn't there yet. Metcalf could have had 2 TD's, but Wilson just overthrew him twice, but it also looked like Metcalf may have slowed up a but thinking he wasn't getting the ball on one of them. 

Wouldn't be worried about Wilson at all. Sure fire top-5 QB, and probably top-3, with Mahomes out, and Ryan banged up.

Anyone catch the game? What happened here, was it missing Dissly?
Gregg Bell‏Verified account @gbellseattle

Russell Wilson on rarity of him showing up on practice report yesterday (knee, full participant): “little ice on the knee.” Says he feels great, all good, of course will play at ATL Sunday. Has never missed an in-season practice, let alone an NFL game. #Seahawks @thenewstribune

12:46 PM - 24 Oct 2019

There isn't much better than having this guy on your team and watching him when he's locked in like he is. Just put on a clinic on how to play QB today. Made too many perfect throws to count. 

There isn't much better than having this guy on your team and watching him when he's locked in like he is. Just put on a clinic on how to play QB today. Made too many perfect throws to count. 
He is playing at the highest level right now. Complete control of the field. He won this game twice.

Put Gordon on the opposite side of the field from DK for a few snaps a game will be nice for Russ.

Russell Wilson completed 24-of-34 passes for 232 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Seahawks' 27-24, Week 10 overtime win over the 49ers Monday night.

This was a physical, NFC West slugfest that featured 10 combined sacks, seven fumbles, and a pair of interceptions by both defenses along with handfuls of big-time hits. Jadeveon Clowney dominated on the Seahawks' defensive side of things with a sack, five QB hits, and a fumble recovery returned for a touchdown. On offense, Wilson was the best player, improvising outside of structure and creating big plays. He nearly gave the game away with an overtime interception in the red zone, but the Seattle defense held firm just enough to force a missed 47-yard field goal to get the ball back to Wilson. He ran for 21 yards on an OT scamper to get the ball in field goal range, and Jason Myers sunk the game-winner from 42 yards out as the clock hit zeroes. The Niners were handed their first loss, and it put Seattle in position to take the division down the stretch. The Seahawks go on their bye at 8-2.

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

And it's been a time coming since Russ should've won MVP in 2017 when he led NFL in touchdown passes but #Seahawks as a team didn't make playoffs. But this has been Wilson's best season considering his performance and all the obstacles he's overcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

Russell Wilson is having an MVP year despite:

1. * Losing his playmaking TE to IR
  2. * No No. 3 WR of note
  3. * Rookie No. 2 WR
  4. * No. 1 WR who entered 2019 with career high of 57 catches
  5. * Facing pressure at NFL’s 3rd-highest rate
  6. * Matador defense for which he must constantly compensate
7:28 AM - 6 Nov 2019

----------------------------------

Bill Barnwell‏Verified account @billbarnwell 7h7 hours ago

Russell Wilson’s weapons in OT:

• - A seventh-round running back who can’t stop fumbling
  • - A rookie wideout who was basically a meme
  • - A WR virtually the entire league passed up on waivers
  • - Malik Turner?
  • - A TE who was on the practice squad in September
---------------------------------

:tebow:  🏆

Russell Wilson completed 21-of-31 passes for 240 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Seahawks' 37-30, Week 13 win over the Vikings Monday night.

Wilson was 10-of-15 for 98 yards and a pick-six in the first half. On the pick-six, the ball was batted at the line into Wilson's direction and he then batted it down the field into the arms of a waiting Anthony Harris for an easy run-back score. Wilson picked it up after the break though, finding Rashaad Penny for a short score and David Moore for a wide-open 60-yarder. Wilson has failed to reach 250 yards passing in five of his last six games, lowering his fantasy floor in the process, as the Seahawks again refocus on running the ball. Wilson will be a QB1 next week against the Rams in L.A.

If any one has a theory about Russell Wilson being involved in a stat correction this week, I'll all ears.  I missed out on a final playoff spot by .05 points.  Literally one passing yard.  If the Vikings had called a timeout and forced Russell to kneel a second time for -1 yards to end the game, I would have won.  So I'm kind of like Princess Leia right now except my only hope is a stat correction, not Obi Wan Kenobi.

Russell Wilson completed 22-of-36 passes for 245 yards with an interception in Week 15 against the Rams.

Wilson never really got going in this one, leading the Seahawks to a bunch of stalled drives. He was under constant pressures, taking five sacks and forcing throws outside the pocket. Wilson's interception came on a desperation Hail Mary at the end of the game, but this was easily his worst game. It's a hit to Wilson's MVP chances and puts Seattle behind the 49ers for the No. 1 seed. Wilson has a rebound spot against a reeling Panthers secondary in Week 15.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:37 PM ET

Thanks for nothing season killer. 2 duds in a row at the worst point in the season, not to mention lockett. Wont have either of these turds on my team next year.

Russell Wilson completed 20-of-26 passes for 286 yards and two touchdowns while also losing a yard on three carries Sunday in Seattle’s Week 15 victory over the Panthers.

He was sacked twice for a loss of 12 yards. After failing to score an offensive touchdown in last week's loss to the Rams, the Seahawks poured on four TDs in Carolina. Wilson had a hand in two of them, capping Seattle's opening drive with a 19-yard touchdown to DK Metcalf before adding a second 19-yarder—this one to Tyler Lockett—in the second quarter of Sunday's 30-24 victory. Wilson was his usual free-wielding self, extending plays with his trademark elusiveness while improvising when necessary. While Wilson's MVP ship has likely already sailed—Lamar Jackson has that one in the bag—he's still been remarkable for the Seahawks, who will take an 11-3 record into next week's battle with Arizona. Russ should have no trouble carving up the Cardinals, who entered the week allowing a league-high 294.2 passing yards per game.

Russell Wilson completed 16-of-31 passes for 169 yards, one touchdown and zero interceptions in the Seahawks' 27-13, Week 16 loss to the Cardinals.

Russ averaged just 5.5 yards per attempt and took five sacks. It was a brutal performance in a very important game for the Seahawks. The loss of Chris Carson (hip) and C.J. Prosise (arm) didn’t help matters, but it was still shocking to see Wilson fail to enable either of Tyler Lockett (1-12-0) or DK Metcalf (0-0-0). Wilson is capable of exploiting any defense when everything is clicking, although this Seahawks offense has displayed a scary low floor at different points of the season. Up next is a season-defining Sunday night matchup against the 49ers.

Thank you Russell, for not showing up when it mattered most. Now down 17 with Mike Boone and Davante Adams still to go. On paper, seems winnable, but...

Russell Wilson completed 18-of-30 passes for 325 yards and one touchdown in Seattle's Wild Card win over the Eagles.

He also scrambled nine times for a team-high 45 yards on the ground. The Eagles fought valiantly after losing Carson Wentz to a head injury in the first quarter but ultimately came up short due in part to D.K. Metcalf (7/160/1) scorching their secondary with ease for a 53-yard touchdown in the third quarter and game-clinching 36-yard grab to ice the game on the final play. Wilson was forced into numerous 3rd-and-long scenarios (without three starting linemen) due to poor early-down coaching but still escaped averaging 10.8 yards per attempt, gashing Philadelphia in particular by going 8-of-15 on third down. Next up for the the Seahawks is a trip to Green Bay to take on the Packers in the Divisional Round.

Jan 5, 2020, 7:40 PM ET

Russell Wilson completed 21-of-31 passes for 277 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' 28-23, Divisional round loss to the Packers.

Wilson also led the team in rushing with 64 yards on seven attempts. He was the offense, as Marshawn Lynch and Travis Homer combined for 39 yards on 15 carries. Seattle stubbornly tried to hammer the run early and often, sticking with it too deep into the contest, much like it had most of the season. Wilson routinely bails OC Brian Schottenheimer out, but there just wasn't enough time in this one to complete the comeback. A late Malik Turner drop didn't help the cause. Wilson threw for the second-most yards of his career this season, completing over 66% of his throws for 4,110 yards and a 31:5 TD:INT mark. He also rushed for 342 yards and three additional scores. After inking an extension in April, Wilson is under contract through 2023. It would be nice if the Seahawks unleashed him more, but that's never been in the cards for coach Pete Carroll.

Jan 12, 2020, 9:55 PM ET

Russell Wilson expressed a desire to be more up-tempo on offense next season.

"I mean we’ve always been really good at two-minute [offense]," Wilson said. "We’ve always been really good in those end of the half, those not always hurry-up situations, but those up-tempo situations [and] moments. ... I think the freedom of just going after it and just scoring as many points, you know?" OC Brian Schottenheimer has never been a proponent of pushing the pace, and the Seahawks were 24th in situation-neutral pace in 2019. However, they were 11th in offensive plays per game and No. 9 in points. Put Wilson in a more dynamic system that lets him call the shots and attack the defense, and the imagination can run wild. Schottenheimer and coach Pete Carroll are going to be tough to switch over to today's NFL, but Wilson is at least making an attempt to get them to listen.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Feb 5, 2020, 10:24 PM ET

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio confirms a Russell Wilson trade to the Browns for the No. 1 overall pick in 2018 was "floated."

It doesn't sound like talks ever got serious, but they did indeed exist. Florio reports it's the reason Wilson's eventual extension included a no-trade clause. Per Florio, "some think it’s just a matter of time before he’s traded." 31-year-old Wilson is now signed through 2023, but this is something to file away as the years peel off his deal. It was in a roundabout way, but Wilson expressed public frustration with the Seahawks' run-heavy, station-to-station offense earlier this offseason.  

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

May 14, 2020, 5:12 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread