Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

QB Russell Wilson, SEA

A week ahead of schedule, per ESPN

The removal of the pin is far from the final step in Wilson's return, according to Carroll. He said the team has been told that Wilson's finger will then need to heal for "a couple of days" before he can resume throwing.

"It's how he works after that's out and he's ready to start developing," Carroll said. "It's more that. There's a pretty clear-cut timeframe they think for the couple days after that is removed and then it's just how he can progress. Of course, the docs are going to take a look at it and see what it looks like now once he gets it out. That will be the first time he'll be able to bend his finger, so we've got to see how that works out."

Edited by The Frankman

A part of me thinks Wilson is about to go on a tear through the league. If you toss out the Rams game he didn't finish, he was QB6 when he went down, and that was through the tougher part of their schedule. The rest of the season is:

at GB, shootout potential

Ari, shootout potential

at Was, awful secondary

SF, awful secondary

at Hou, awful everything

at LAR, tough matchup, but possible shootout

Chi, awful secondary

Det, awful everything

There is very clear top-5 potential, and if they are a little more pass heavy(let Russ cook) due to their current record, QB1 overall is the ceiling.

49 minutes ago, travdogg said:

A part of me thinks Wilson is about to go on a tear through the league. If you toss out the Rams game he didn't finish, he was QB6 when he went down, and that was through the tougher part of their schedule. The rest of the season is:

at GB, shootout potential

Ari, shootout potential

at Was, awful secondary

SF, awful secondary

at Hou, awful everything

at LAR, tough matchup, but possible shootout

Chi, awful secondary

Det, awful everything

There is very clear top-5 potential, and if they are a little more pass heavy(let Russ cook) due to their current record, QB1 overall is the ceiling.

Not to mention Carson's injury and overall backfield struggles. He's going to have to throw them to victory. 

6 minutes ago, Drake Hater said:

Not to mention Carson's injury and overall backfield struggles. He's going to have to throw them to victory. 

Not to mention they are probably a playoff team in the weak NFC. The East isn't going to have a WC team. NO feels like a team that could crater at any moment, despite their record, so you've got Dallas, GB, TB, Zona, LA, and then 3 spots up for grabs. 

If Russ hadn't gotten hurt, I think they beat NO and Pittsburgh for sure, they almost beat both with Geno. This is a 3-5 team, that really is closer to a 5-3 team. That is my semi-weekly Russell Wilson is the best player in the NFL post.

• Like 1

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Russell Wilson (finger) has been cleared to play in Week 10 against the Packers. 

The doctor who performed Wilson's surgery last month gave the all-clear for Seattle's Sunday road game against Green Bay. At 3-5, Wilson and the Seahawks will have to win at least seven of their final nine games to ensure they make the playoffs. Wilson's return is good news for both D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett -- especially the latter, whose preternatural downfield connection with Wilson produced monster stat lines in the early season. Of course, the Seahawks could lean heavily on the run against the run-funnel Green Bay defense. Either way, Wilson is a low-end QB1 this week.

Adam Schefter, Twitter

Edited by The Frankman
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 2:32 PM, travdogg said:

you've got Dallas, GB, TB, Zona, LA, and then 3 spots up for grabs

You listed 5 teams + 3 spots up for grabs, but there are only 7 playoff spots. (Right, or did I miss a change?)

I agree with the 5 teams you named; it would be surprising if any of them fail to make it at this point. I also agree that the Saints could falter, but if I had to project, I would project them for 5-6 more wins at this point, which I think would get them in.

So it feels to me like there is really just one NFC spot up for grabs, probably for one of Seattle, Minnesota, or San Francisco.

I agree with your earlier post that Seattle's prospects look pretty good given their schedule.

Just now, Just Win Baby said:

You listed 5 teams + 3 spots up for grabs, but there are only 7 playoff spots. (Right, or did I miss a change?)

I agree with the 5 teams you named; it would be surprising if any of them fail to make it at this point. I also agree that the Saints could falter, but if I had to project, I would project them for 5-6 more wins at this point, which I think would get them in.

So it feels to me like there is really just one NFC spot up for grabs, probably for one of Seattle, Minnesota, or San Francisco.

I agree with your earlier post that Seattle's prospects look pretty good given their schedule.

Yep, total miscount on my end. 

I think SF isn't very good. I wouldn't be shocked if they had a top-10 pick(or Miami anyway) especially when they inevitably turn to Lance.

New Orleans getting 5-6 more wins would shock me. That might be a bottom-5 offense going forward. I think Seattle and Minnesota are clearly better teams than NO, though they have some ground to make up. Atlanta is a little sneaky, as they have been coming on a bit, and Ryan is looking like the Ryan of old. 

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Russell Wilson (finger) "looks pretty good" in practice. 

Already fully cleared to return, Wilson has not been limited this week in practice. "I've just seen him in the walk-through since then and you would never have known," Carroll said. It looks like Wilson will be a full-go in his first game back, making him a low-end QB1 and elevating the expectations for the entire offense. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Nov 11, 2021, 10:18 AM ET

Russell Wilson (finger) estimates his health is "90th percentile" ahead of his Week 10 return against the Packers. 

"I feel great," Wilson began. "I feel really close. I'm not 100 percent yet, but I'm pretty dang close. I would say 90th percentile if not higher. I've got great conviction about what I'm doing, how I'm doing it. My mindset is better than ever. I'm ready to roll and ready to go." We are surprised someone like Mr. Positivity Wilson would admit he's not 100 percent, but he is practicing in full and has already been declared the Week 10 starter. We assume Wilson would not be playing if his throwing motion were still impacted, but it will be something to monitor in a game where the total is nearly 50 points. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Nov 11, 2021, 8:52 PM ET

Seahawks activated Russell Wilson (finger) from injured reserve.

Wilson practiced without limitations this week. He put his health at "90 percent" ahead of his Week 10 return. The Seahawks will also get slot WR D'Wayne Eskridge (concussion) back from IR, while Chris Carson (neck, IR) remains sidelined. Wilson's return upgrades the entire Seattle offense and locks D.K. Metcalf in as a weekly top-10 option.

RELATED: 

D'Wayne Eskridge

SOURCE: NFL Network

Nov 12, 2021, 7:20 PM ET

20 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

What do you see with him?  I see a terrible terrible O line

I also think he doesn't have the grip so no zip yet.  

Ahhh so still excuses. This sh!t show has been going on for a year already. 

• Thinking 1

21 minutes ago, ignatiusjreilly said:

I would be inclined to bench him until he shows me he's back, but the streaming options in my league are awful. Heinicke, Danny Dimes, Mac, Ryan, Tyrod ... any of those guys may well end up outperforming Russ next week, but none are slam dunks. I'm inclined to hold for now.

I'm also a wilson owner and when a guy like RW is underperforming is the worst of all words because you just can't pull him.  I have Heinicke and would have one this week if i had just rolled him out

46 minutes ago, killface said:

I'm also a wilson owner and when a guy like RW is underperforming is the worst of all words because you just can't pull him.  I have Heinicke and would have one this week if i had just rolled him out

The fact that we had to spend a month waiting on him makes it even worse. I could have made a trade for Herbert, which in retrospect probably wouldn't have been a great deal, but still, the main reason I decided against it was because I figured I just had to muddle through with streamers for another couple weeks and then I'd get Wilson back. If I had known this was what I'd be dealing with, I would have approached the past month far differently.

I have little to base this on, but I can't help but get the feeling that Wilson(and Seattle in general) is going to bounce back this week.

1. Washington has won 2 straight, and are due for a let down.

2. Wilson will now have 3 weeks since getting cleared.

3. Washington(despite the great game against Brady) is the by far the worst pass defense in the NFL, and has no Chase Young. They've given up huge games to the likes of Daniel Jones, Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, and Cam Newton. In addition to the usual suspects like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers. 

I get the feeling this is a nice week for Wilson(who is likely on waivers in some leagues) and a good week to go back to Metcalf and Lockett. 

• Like 2

Russell Wilson completed 20-of-31 passes for 247 yards and two touchdowns in the Seahawks' 17-15, Week 12 loss to Washington Monday night.

Seattle has now lost all three games since Russell Wilson's return from injured reserve, dropping to 3-8 on the year and out of the playoff picture altogether. Wilson "guided" the offense to five straight three-and-outs at one point in this one, tying the longest three-and-out streak in the NFL this season. He had been stuck under 200 yards passing until the final drive, where Wilson hit a wide-open Freddie Swain for a 32-yard touchdown with 15 seconds left to play only for Wilson to get picked on the two-point conversion. In his three starts backs, Wilson has averaged 205 passing yards with a combined 2:2 TD:INT mark. He didn't even target DK Metcalf until there were just over four minutes to play in the third quarter. And Metcalf didn't register his long catch until there was 1:02 remaining. Wilson will be on short rest against the 49ers next week. At this point, he's impossible to start in season-long leagues.

Nov 29, 2021, 11:25 PM ET

On 11/23/2021 at 10:20 AM, travdogg said:

I have little to base this on, but I can't help but get the feeling that Wilson(and Seattle in general) is going to bounce back this week.

1. Washington has won 2 straight, and are due for a let down.

2. Wilson will now have 3 weeks since getting cleared.

3. Washington(despite the great game against Brady) is the by far the worst pass defense in the NFL, and has no Chase Young. They've given up huge games to the likes of Daniel Jones, Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, and Cam Newton. In addition to the usual suspects like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers. 

I get the feeling this is a nice week for Wilson(who is likely on waivers in some leagues) and a good week to go back to Metcalf and Lockett. 

Holy cow.  On so many levels, this is a classic!

Russel Wilson looks washed. I hate to say it. Ive enjoyed watching him for years.  But….yeah. Slow-footed, poor reactions, didn’t see coverage multiple times…just awful. Change of scenery would probably do him a world of good since the Seahawks are a mess outside of the WR position. Tonight’s game was hard to watch. 

32 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Russel Wilson looks washed. I hate to say it. Ive enjoyed watching him for years.  But….yeah. Slow-footed, poor reactions, didn’t see coverage multiple times…just awful. Change of scenery would probably do him a world of good since the Seahawks are a mess outside of the WR position. Tonight’s game was hard to watch. 

I love nothing more than seeing him and the Seahawks struggle. I hope he never sniffs the playoffs again.

• Thinking 1

33 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

He's been dreadfully bad. I defended him heavily earlier on the year, and thought he was unlucky and quietly playing at an MVP level, but since his return he's been a trainwreck. He's barely been better than Zach Wilson.

Part of me almost wonders(and I don't think Wilson is a guy who would do such a thing) if he's basically trying to play his way off the team. 

I don't think he's washed by any means, but this doesn't seem like its just from the injury. Whether its the effort, the offense, the supporting cast, whatever. Wilson seems like a guy who needs a change in some manner of speaking. If he wasn't Russell Wilson, I'd almost wonder about going back to Geno. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

I saw a qb with ZERO o-line protection having to pre-determine reads given that he had 0.3 seconds to execute a pass before 2.5 defenders were on him like coyotes.

I think the real question is why was last year's offensive coordinator let go, as the new one is a joke.

This is most of what I saw too.   Why not roll him out more last night?   Try something.  Try anything.   

6 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I think he came back too soon. You see him pull up on throws in the pocket... maybe he fears that finger will come unhinged again? Whatever it is, he looks nothing like Russell Wilson. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

I saw a qb with ZERO o-line protection having to pre-determine reads given that he had 0.3 seconds to execute a pass before 2.5 defenders were on him like coyotes.

I think the real question is why was last year's offensive coordinator let go, as the new one is a joke.

Because the old one was more of a joke. I'm fully convinced Shane Waldron is a puppet for Pete Carroll; in the summer Russ seemed fully onboard with the new OC, and over time you could see the offense de-evolve back into the same heavy-run, ball control O that Russ disliked. Sure there is a bit more innovation in the offensive schemes, but at its core it seems very similar to Russ having to make something out of nothing on limited opportunities. I think with all the stuff he's goign through with his finger he's going through the motions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

I did see that. 

But I also saw Wilson have time several times and just make bad reads and poor decisions.

The sack he took towards the end of the game where he’d just evaded a sack, and looked the next defender right in the face - he had time to throw that ball away. And with no time outs and ~1 min to play that was just crazy.

I also saw a Wilson who felt pressure & went to take off running but looked like he was running through 2’ of molasses. He was tripped up or tackled within a yard or two. Wilson of old had the burst to get out of harm’s way & make the 1st tackler miss. This Russ looked sluggish.

The tools that made him great seem to be diminished. That Seattle OL was never all that great at pass pro, but Wilson’s ability to evade, improvise & make throws on the run made him a world beater. I saw none of that last night.

I’d be willing to give a little benefit of the doubt that if his circumstances changed he could still be a good QB & play at a high level, but something was clearly off with Wilson last night, and it wasn’t just the OL.

2 hours ago, That one guy said:

Probably more fatigue from the game, but man at the end last night there were camera shots of his eyes and he just looked fully disconnected…nothing more than going through the motions with a “just get this over with” mindset.

I think he’s done with Seattle and will force an exit in the off-season

I saw that too. That late sack where he saw it coming but swallowed the ball….that was so uncharacteristic of him. 

54 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

The tools that made him great seem to be diminished. That Seattle OL was never all that great at pass pro, but Wilson’s ability to evade, improvise & make throws on the run made him a world beater. I saw none of that last night.

I’d be willing to give a little benefit of the doubt that if his circumstances changed he could still be a good QB & play at a high level, but something was clearly off with Wilson last night, and it wasn’t just the OL.

The trick is trying to sort through the degrees of diminishing tools and degrees of bad pass pro. 32 QBs would be better with better pass pro. It's the ones like Russ that could offset "okay" or "less than okay" pass pro that make a difference.

My guess is that it's about 25% Russ being 33, 25% Russ being injured and 50% the o-line finally slipping below "minimum viable product". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, That one guy said:

Probably more fatigue from the game, but man at the end last night there were camera shots of his eyes and he just looked fully disconnected…nothing more than going through the motions with a “just get this over with” mindset.

I think he’s done with Seattle and will force an exit in the off-season

Pete Carroll is 70, and the team is 3-8 and last in the division. Who's more replaceable, the coach or the franchise QB? My guess is Carroll "retires" and they find an offensive-minded coach to keep Russ in town. 

31 minutes ago, habsfan said:

The trick is trying to sort through the degrees of diminishing tools and degrees of bad pass pro. 32 QBs would be better with better pass pro. It's the ones like Russ that could offset "okay" or "less than okay" pass pro that make a difference.

My guess is that it's about 25% Russ being 33, 25% Russ being injured and 50% the o-line finally slipping below "minimum viable product". 

I don’t disagree - it’s a fair assessment. 

Also, while Collins & Dallas put in work, neither of them are Chris Carson, and neither of them will give a defense pause. 

Part of this is just seeing how dramatically under-appreciated & underrated Carson was.  When there’s the threat of a legit run game, an offense can cook. Without that threat, the WFT smothered the receivers & dared Seattle to try to beat them on the ground. And save for one late TD to add a little drama, it worked. 

But at the same time i agree that it isn’t any 1 thing. And Russ definitely looked really slow-footed, and also slow to react. He looked hesitant to leave the pocket & improvise, which is about the most un-Russel Wilson thing ever. Before Mahomes, Wilson was the escape artist/wizard who could sense pressure, take off on a dime, use his burst to clear the initial defender, use his legs to buy time, & find something downfield. 

Last night the 1st defender got to him almost every time he tried it. He was slow to decide to run, and when he did he ran like Tom Brady. It was hard to watch. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I don’t disagree - it’s a fair assessment. 

Also, while Collins & Dallas put in work, neither of them are Chris Carson, and neither of them will give a defense pause. 

Part of this is just seeing how dramatically under-appreciated & underrated Carson was.  When there’s the threat of a legit run game, an offense can cook. Without that threat, the WFT smothered the receivers & dared Seattle to try to beat them on the ground. And save for one late TD to add a little drama, it worked. 

But at the same time i agree that it isn’t any 1 thing. And Russ definitely looked really slow-footed, and also slow to react. He looked hesitant to leave the pocket & improvise, which is about the most un-Russel Wilson thing ever. Before Mahomes, Wilson was the escape artist/wizard who could sense pressure, take off on a dime, use his burst to clear the initial defender, use his legs to buy time, & find something downfield. 

Last night the 1st defender got to him almost every time he tried it. He was slow to decide to run, and when he did he ran like Tom Brady. It was hard to watch. 

Carson is an important part of the ecosystem for sure. When containing Russ isn't high on the list of a defence's priorities, they are much easier to beat. His days of needing a "spotter" may be behind him but I hope his days as a running threat aren't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phandango said:

Pete Carroll is 70, and the team is 3-8 and last in the division. Who's more replaceable, the coach or the franchise QB? My guess is Carroll "retires" and they find an offensive-minded coach to keep Russ in town. 

I found one of the comments from either the pre-game show (might have been Booger?) or the booth babes that suggested Russell Wilson's wife (and maybe Russell too) is/are  tired of living in the forgotten NW US? Used the term "power couple" and wanting more of the big city/in the middle of things experience.

Could have been pure speculation/hot air, but it does make the NYG look like a possibility for Wilson.

FWIW - I think he and Carroll are both done in SEA... I agree with your guess that Pete calls it a day, and I think SEA has to trade away their only asset to kick-off the rebuild.

• Like 1