What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (2 Viewers)

I think Wilson is far from done. The Seahawks however under Carroll, that looks like it has ran it's course. It was a great run though.
I think that finger has to be bothering him, because I would have never expected this downfall unless he isn't 100%

Going to Miami or NYC in the off season so his wife can be in a recording music city vs Seattle. 

-Giants will want to scoop him up if he has interest and Miami doesn't seem married to Tua if the right guy falls in their lap.

Going to Miami or NYC in the off season so his wife can be in a recording music city vs Seattle. 

-Giants will want to scoop him up if he has interest and Miami doesn't seem married to Tua if the right guy falls in their lap.

I can easily see the NYG move. They've got skill players - albeit, oft-injured skill players. Russell Wilson + new coach/scheme + happy wife... not a stretch IMO.

I get the impression that Miami is feeling better with each passing week. Tua settling in a bit.

I think that finger has to be bothering him, because I would have never expected this downfall unless he isn't 100%

Fully agree. Whatever happened post surgery... maybe the finger doesn't quite have the same feel/flexibility, maybe in some pain, maybe both... it is obviously affecting his accuracy and confidence in pocket traffic. Would not be surprised if there's a corrective procedure post season.

According to sports reporter Jordan Schultz, Russell Wilson would waive his no-trade clause to go to the Giants, Saints, or Broncos.

The Eagles were also mentioned as a possibility. While Schultz isn't a typical source here on the NFL side, he has connections and has been on top of stuff in the past. He's been beating the drum that Wilson's days in Seattle are numbered after the season. With Wilson now 33 and showing signs of decline this season, it's unclear what the asking price would be, but he's going to be a hot topic this offseason. The Seahawks might just have to blow things up from the top down.

RELATED: 

New York Giants

, Denver Broncos

, New Orleans Saints

, Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

Dec 8, 2021, 2:40 PM ET

I’m surprised there’s no talk about him and the Steelers. Been retiring, bring Russell in, the Steelers are strong contenders again.  More so than NYG at least  NO makes sense. 

Per Schultz, the Broncos are among four teams, including the Philadelphia Eagles, New Orleans Saints, and New York Giants, that Wilson would be open to waiving the no-trade clause in his contract for. 

I’m surprised there’s no talk about him and the Steelers. Been retiring, bring Russell in, the Steelers are strong contenders again.  More so than NYG at least  NO makes sense. 

Per Schultz, the Broncos are among four teams, including the Philadelphia Eagles, New Orleans Saints, and New York Giants, that Wilson would be open to waiving the no-trade clause in his contract for. 
Giants will have two top-10 picks that look attractive.

Ok. I still think the Steelers have a better chance to compete in the next few years. RW in NY could change things Big time though
If healthy he will have a good stable of skill players in NY.  Toney, Barkley, Engram, Shepard, Golladay.  Not too bad (when healthy)

Ok. I still think the Steelers have a better chance to compete in the next few years. RW in NY could change things Big time though
One thing Pittsburgh doesn’t do is trade away draft picks - that will kill any dealings with Seattle.  I would like to see him in Pitt, but it’s probably not happening.

One thing Pittsburgh doesn’t do is trade away draft picks - that will kill any dealings with Seattle.  I would like to see him in Pitt, but it’s probably not happening.
🤷 they traded their 2020 first for minkah.  They probably wouldn’t trade multiple firsts.

If healthy he will have a good stable of skill players in NY.  Toney, Barkley, Engram, Shepard, Golladay.  Not too bad (when healthy)

I’m underwhelmed by that group compared to a better defense, Najee, DJ, juju, claypool, etc. 

I’m underwhelmed by that group compared to a better defense, Najee, DJ, juju, claypool, etc. 

I am in complete agreement that Pitt is a much better landing spot.  My point was that for a QB the Giants have a nice set of skill players.  

I am in complete agreement that Pitt is a much better landing spot.  My point was that for a QB the Giants have a nice set of skill players.  
Agreed. I think New Orleans could be interesting, if Michael Thomas gets his act together and healthy. But of the teams discussed above, the giants are probably on par with Denver. And the division is probably easier to win. 

Until proven otherwise, my assumption is that the Michael Thomas / Sean Payton relationship is irrevocably broken, and I don't see the Saints moving on from Payton, so....?

Unrelated thought: maybe Wilson AND Metcalf can both come to New Orleans...that's half a foursome right there.  For golf, I mean.

Faust said:
According to sports reporter Jordan Schultz, Russell Wilson would waive his no-trade clause to go to the Giants, Saints, or Broncos.

Put my money on NYG. I don't think it's close... and I believe Mrs. Wilson is an overlooked contributing factor here.

Speaking Thursday, Russell Wilson called the report that he'd waive his no-trade clause a "non-story" and reiterated that he wants to play in Seattle for "20 years." 

Regardless of the truth or non-truth of the report, it was never going to be something that a quarterback was going to embrace talking about in the middle of the season. Wilson says he loves "this place, this city, this team," and while that may be true, it's not going to stop the speculation that the two sides will part given the events of last offseason and how the team has nose-dived to 4-8 in 2021. Wilson looked rejuvenated against the Seahawks in Week 13 and will be on the QB1 borderline against the Texans. 

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Dec 9, 2021, 3:54 PM ET

Broncos and future new minority owner Manning will get either Rodgers or Wilson, and because both of them would love having some say in the new Coach and OC, they might not have to pay quite as much as what courting just one of them would cost.

Harry Frogfish said:
Broncos and future new minority owner Manning will get either Rodgers or Wilson, and because both of them would love having some say in the new Coach and OC, they might not have to pay quite as much as what courting just one of them would cost.
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

• Russell Wilson - Broncos
  • Deshaun Watson - Dolphins
  • Aaron Rodgers - Packers
  • Derek Carr - Raiders

Russell's wife wants to move to New York.

Russell will be playing in New Jersey(Giants) or Pennsylvania(Eagles/Steelers) next season.

An NFL executive told The Athletic that teams should "assume" Russell Wilson is "a declining player." 

“Having said that, recent history is full of examples of older quarterbacks who had a down year and came back to play incredibly well," the executive added. Wilson, who may have played his final home game for the Seahawks in Week 17, has fallen off in nearly every statistical category over the past couple seasons. Wilson, 33, has averaged 7.3 yards per attempt in his past 25 starts, down from 8.3 in the 25 starts before that, according to The Athletic's Mike Sando. Wilson's passer rating has dropped from 110.6 to 97.4, and his rate of pass attempts gaining more than 15 yards is down. His expected points added (EPA) per drop back has fallen dramatically along the way. Wilson's thumb injury -- which required surgery and kept him sidelined for more than a month -- may have had an outsized impact on his throwing ability this season. Teams considering acquiring Wilson this offseason will have to make that call. Last offseason, Wilson's agent listed the Cowboys, Saints, and Bears as acceptable landing spots for the QB. League executives told The Athletic that the Saints, Browns, and Broncos would be "ideal fits" for Wilson in 2022; the price for acquiring Wilson could be upwards of three first-round draft picks. "Though Wilson has reportedly sought to escape [Pete] Carroll in order to find stardom in a wide-open pass offense, coaches and execs around the league overwhelmingly think Wilson, like most quarterbacks, is at his best when backed by a credible ground attack," Sando said. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jan 3, 2022, 11:52 AM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garofolo reports the Seahawks have "no plans" to trade Russell Wilson after the 2021 season.

The Seahawks may be forced to choose between head coach Pete Carroll and Wilson. The two have put on a good show for the media but it's hard to believe Wilson, who floated a list of trade destinations he'd accept last year, is going to be okay with how things have gone recently. Carroll wants to establish the run and rely on a sound defense but Seattle's secondary is in shambles and Wilson can single-handedly win games when he's cut free. Not unleashing his star quarterback has always been a glaring fault of Carroll's and it may bring about the end of his prolific tenure with the Seahawks. This won't be the last time Seattle shoots down trade rumors surrounding Wilson, even if that's ultimately the route they take.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Jan 9, 2022, 11:07 AM ET

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Seahawks have "shown no interest" in trading Russell Wilson.

The Seahawks have no plans of trading Wilson "unless they’re absolutely forced" to move him. After missing the playoffs for the first time since 2017, Wilson is expected to explore his options but has yet to demand a trade or a new contract. That makes staying in Seattle the likeliest outcome, though Wilson's status shouldn't be taken for granted in what's expected to be a drama-filled offseason. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 29, 2022, 10:34 AM ET

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport "wouldn’t rule out" a Russell Wilson trade this offseason.

“Russ wants to know his options. I’m not saying he’s definitely going to go, but he wants to look around,” said Rapoport on Wilson’s status. The Seahawks aren’t expected to rebuild with 70-year-old Pete Carroll on the hot seat, making a Wilson trade unlikely if they don’t get a quarterback or high draft pick in return. Wilson’s agent released a list of teams Wilson would play for last February, but months of trade rumors amounted to nothing. The Seahawks could see a similar situation play out with Wilson again this offseason.

SOURCE: Pat McAfee Show

Feb 4, 2022, 6:46 PM ET

NFL Network reports the Bucs have done a "ton of work" looking into a Russell Wilson acquisition. 

As previously reported, the same is true of Deshaun Watson. NFL Network's James Palmer also claims the team believes second-year pro Kyle Trask compares favorably to this year's draft class, but there has ultimately been very little buzz on 23-year-old Trask's Tampa future. He does not appear to be the Bucs' Plan A, B or C right now. The Wilson rumors have remained hot and heavy so far this winter, though the Seahawks are predictably saying they have no plans to trade him. They do possess almost all the leverage in the matter. 

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter 

Feb 17, 2022, 1:41 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted on the Pat McAfee show Friday that "until Seattle has a better option for them to compete next year, I just don't see them trading" Russell Wilson.

This question was triggered by Russell Wilson changing his photos and accounts to remove references to the Seahawks on social media. The Seahawks have continually been a source of fascination this offseason because nobody sounds happy and the formula for winning seemed to fall apart last year, and Wilson hasn't exactly been shy about wanting to win games. There's a lot of time left before free agency. There's also not a lot pointing to a Wilson trade as likely right now. 

SOURCE: Pat McAfee Show

Feb 25, 2022, 1:13 PM ET

When asked about playing for Washington, Russell Wilson said, "Seattle’s the place I’m at right now and I love it.”

Wilson is from Richmond, Virginia, so a move to Washington would take him close to home. However, he shot down this notion while adding that his family currently lives on the west coast. It sounds like Wilson is content with staying in Seattle, and the rumors of late have echoed this sentiment. At this point, Seahawks fans can proceed with their offseason under the assumption that their star quarterback will be back for 2022. Though the 2021 season was a flop for Seattle, Wilson struggled through a mallet finger injury that cost him a handful of games and seemed to limit him for many more. Once fully healthy, Wilson should be able to get his team above .500 and quell any talks of a breakup between him and the franchise he has been with for a decade.

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter

Mar 1, 2022, 1:20 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Commanders made a "strong" offer for Russell Wilson. 

Though the offer didn't "go anywhere," per Rapoport, the offer shows the Commanders are serious about upgrading at quarterback this offseason. Rapoport said the team "has called essentially everywhere about finding a QB." It's no surprise the Seahawks, who have made it clear they won't part ways with Wilson, declined Washington's offer. Commanders head coach Ron Rivera has done his best to sell the team as a prime landing spot for potential franchise signal callers. Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gibson make the Commanders a reasonably attractive destination, and it appears the team is ready to pay up for a legit long-term QB. They could be in the market for Deshaun Watson if and when his legal situation clears up in the coming months. 

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

, Washington Commanders

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 4, 2022, 5:18 PM ET

Broncos acquired QB Russell Wilson from the Seahawks. 

The terms of the trade haven't been reported yet but Schefter noted that it will be one of the largest trades in NFL history. Seahawks acquired TE Noah Fant, QB Drew Lock, DT Shelby Harris, two first-round picks, two second-round picks, and a fifth-round pick from the Broncos in exchange for QB Russell Wilson and a fourth-round pick.The deal is expected to include Denver sending Drew Lock to the Seahawks. Seattle has been adamant about keeping Wilson on the roster this offseason but a blockbuster offer for a player clearly at odds with his franchise was too good to pass up. Even with the addition of Lock, Seattle is now in the market for a quarterback, likely through the draft. Wilson's departure is a massive blow to the fantasy outlooks of D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett. On the other side of the coin, Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, and Noah Fant are all set for career years with a quarterback miles better than anything they have been given since entering the league. Wilson missed a handful of games with a mallet finger injury last year and looked hampered by the issue after returning. An offseason to recover plus a deeper cast of weapons should boost him into the conversation as a top-five fantasy quarterback.

- Adam Schefter, Twitter
Denver was always the most likely destination for any blockbuster trade involving a quarterback. They had the cap space and draft capital necessary to acquire an established veteran, plus a win-now roster to motivate them to act. After a rocky year in Seattle that was plagued by a finger injury and rumors of a trade, Wilson finally got his wish. Even with Fant passing him on the way to Seattle, he joins a roster loaded with pass-catching talent. Courtland Sutton and Jerry Jeudy will serve as stand-ins for D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett while Tim Patrick gives him a solid upgrade at WR3. Away from the clutches of Pete Carroll's run-first offense, Wilson's fantasy outlook is soaring along with the rest of his new pass-catchers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a big Wilson fan however...

-This sucks for the Seattle fan base unless they have soured completely on Wilson. You don't even really get a send off or one last season to say good bye and thanks for the memories. This is a guy that despite my criticisms is on everyone's 1st ballot HoF if I read the room correctly around here. 

Broncos hype out of control after Russell Wilson trade; plus, five NFL draft prospects on the rise

Excerpt:

Russell Wilson's relocation to Denver suddenly has everyone crowning the Broncos.

The blockbuster deal shook up the football world on Tuesday, with many deeming the nine-time Pro Bowl quarterback as a potential missing piece to a championship puzzle. Forget the fact that the Broncos have failed to make the playoffs since their Super Bowl 50 win back in February of 2016. Never mind that they're in a division featuring two superstar quarterbacks and another top 10-ish player at the position. According to the Twitter masses, the addition of Wilson shoves Denver over the hump as a bona fide title contender, with the magical playmaker poised to elevate his supporting cast and overwhelm the numerous heavyweights that reside in today's AFC.

OK, let's pump the brakes, people.

While I certainly understand the optimism swirling around the Mike High City this week, I'd hold off on reserving a hotel room in Glendale, Arizona, for Super Bowl LVII. Sure, Wilson is a franchise player with MVP potential, but it takes a village to help a quarterback win at the highest level.

Wilson, who guided the Seahawks to eight postseason appearances and one Super Bowl title during his decade in Seattle, is joining a roster that is widely viewed as an upgrade in 2022. Sure, the Broncos have intriguing pieces in place on both sides of the ball, but this team is more potential than production at this point.

For instance, the hyped-up receiving corps that has been lauded as "special" in some corners of the football world really features a one-time Pro Bowler (Courtland Sutton) and a trio of theoretical difference makers (Jerry Jeudy, Tim Patrick and K.J. Hamler) without a single 900-yard season among them. Is that crew really an upgrade over Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf? Those two have comprised one of the best big-play duos in football over the past three years, and their explosive play-making ability enhanced Wilson's deep-ball savvy in Seattle. That does not mean the Broncos' quartet can't emerge with No. 3 under center, but it is nothing more than a projection at this point.

Studying Denver's offensive line, Broncos fans should have serious concerns about the unit's ability to keep Wilson upright and protected in the pocket. Denver surrendered 40 sacks in 2021, only six fewer than the Seahawks' much-maligned front allowed. With O-line wizard Mike Munchak no longer around to tutor Denver's unit -- particularly Garett Bolles, who significantly improved with Munchak as his position coach -- the Broncos' front line could take a step back as it transitions into a new offensive scheme.

Speaking of that new scheme, Wilson must adjust to Nathaniel Hackett. To his credit, the Broncos' new head coach has a strong reputation for tailoring his play calls to his quarterbacks, accentuating their strengths and masking weaknesses. This maximizes performance and production (SEE: Blake Bortles in 2017). With Wilson, Hackett must tweak his offensive scheme to showcase the veteran's effectiveness as a deep-ball thrower. That should result in more vertical routes and deep crossers off play-action, enabling Russ to unleash his patented rainbows over the top of the defense. That said, Denver will need to have an answer for the two-deep coverages that have stymied Wilson over the past few years. The 10-year veteran has lacked the patience, discipline and rhythm to efficiently shred umbrella coverage, and his Achilles heel could lead to problems for the Broncos down the road. Hackett and Wilson must craft a plan that enables the veteran to retain his aggressiveness while performing at an efficient rate from the pocket.

This is a critical part of the Broncos' winning equation, particularly in an AFC West that features outstanding quarterbacks at every turn. Wilson must outplay Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert and Derek Carr to climb to the top of the division, and his efficiency could be the deciding factor in close games against any of the aforementioned gunslingers.

Defensively, the Broncos are fresh off a season in which they allowed the third-fewest points in the NFL. Safety Justin Simmons, cornerback Patrick Surtain II and edge rusher Bradley Chubb form the nucleus of a promising unit, but they will need some help, particularly at linebacker, to remain an upper-echelon defense. Oh, and Vic Fangio -- one of the game's better defensive minds -- is no longer at the controls. Denver will need first-time defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero to quickly adjust to calling the plays for a group that's accustomed to a highly experienced coach leading the charge. The change does not automatically mean that the Broncos' defense will take a step down, but it is not a given that the unit will remain among the league's best, with Evero acclimating to a brand new role in the toughest division in football.

Given so many uncertainties and unknowns, I can't immediately fete this squad in the wake of Wilson's arrival. Yes, a franchise quarterback gives any team a chance to win on any given Sunday, but I do not know if that is enough to vault Denver to the top of the division, much less the conference.

While I love fairy tales and storybook endings, I am not sure that Wilson heading to the Rocky Mountains is going to produce the Hollywood magic that helped cement the legacies of Tom Brady and Matthew Stafford in back-to-back years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m picturing a lot of crying and begging. Definitely chewing. Lots and lots of chewing. 

“Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said he tried to convince Russell Wilson to stay with the team in 2022. 

Carroll had long refuted rumors that Seattle was looking to trade Wilson. Even so, ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reported last week that the team initiated trade talks with the Broncos. Carroll in a Tuesday interview said he "had no intention of making a move at all'' and that "I fought for the logic of that for a good while." He eventually gave up on the cause and the Seahawks received a host of picks and players in exchange for Wilson. A fiery competitor, Carroll, 70, is now looking at a potential years-long rebuild in Seattle.” 

Users who are viewing this thread