What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (6 Viewers)

Good god, give it a rest Scientist. I'm happy for the guy but calling for a Super Bowl, ROY, and best QB of this class is a bit premature.
Has their been a more impressive rookie qb?
Yes I do feel that Luck has been more impressive. This preseason looking at rookie QB's and their performance I'd put 'em around:1. Luck2. Wilson3. Foles4. RGIII5. Tannehill6. Weeden
Luck has played very well, but I don't see how anyone could say that Wilson hasn't been the most impressive rookie. Luck threw two interceptions last week in a half of football. Wilson just put up a stat-line of 13/19 for 185 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 58 yards rushing on two carries. Not only is Wilson the most impressive rookie QB of the preseason, he's the most impressive QB of the preseason, period. Honestly, I don't think he keeps this kind of play up over the course of the season, and he'll have plenty of struggles...but at this point, he's the biggest and most impressive story of the preseason.(I don't really have a dog in this fight. I did pick up Russell Wilson in a redraft league as a flier this week to go behind Ryan and Locker, but that's really my only investment in either guy.)

Last edited by a moderator:
they found him in the third round is just awesome. Pete and John are geniuses.
I think most teams really liked him. But its like having a 255 pound o-linemen or a 165 pound RB... everybody thinks that the size issue is just too much to overcome. Its not a bad thought, but its not a 100% "wont work" scenario either. Really hard to project a college QB who is 5'10" handling up to 13 people in front of him who are all 6'2"+ and maintaining his field of vision. Sure it can happen, but typically the unwritten rule works. Wilson appears to be a dandy exception to one of those rules.
Normally I wouldn't give any short QB a chance. Wilson taught me otherwise while being able to really study him a lot last year, and a few times in person. Wilson had great experience working with a big O-line at Wisconsin too. Their O-line is bigger than most NFL O-lines. While at Wisconsin, and even now, he doesn't look small on the field. No smaller than Vick or Brees. And he certainly doesn't play small.

Good god, give it a rest Scientist. I'm happy for the guy but calling for a Super Bowl, ROY, and best QB of this class is a bit premature.
Yes I do feel that Luck has been more impressive. This preseason looking at rookie QB's and their performance I'd put 'em around:1. Luck2. Wilson3. Foles4. RGIII5. Tannehill6. Weeden
Luck has played very well, but I don't see how anyone could say that Wilson hasn't been the most impressive rookie. Luck threw two interceptions last week in a half of football. Wilson just put up a stat-line of 13/19 for 185 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 58 yards rushing on two carries. Not only is Wilson the most impressive rookie QB of the preseason, he's the most impressive QB of the preseason, period. Honestly, I don't think he keeps this kind of play up over the course of the season, and he'll have plenty of struggles...but at this point, he's the biggest and most impressive story of the preseason.
:goodposting: Flynn meet the bench again

Luck has played very well, but I don't see how anyone could say that Wilson hasn't been the most impressive rookie. Luck threw two interceptions last week in a half of football. Wilson just put up a stat-line of 13/19 for 185 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 58 yards rushing on two carries. Not only is Wilson the most impressive rookie QB of the preseason, he's the most impressive QB of the preseason, period. Honestly, I don't think he keeps this kind of play up over the course of the season, and he'll have plenty of struggles...but at this point, he's the biggest and most impressive story of the preseason.(I don't really have a dog in this fight. I did pick up Russell Wilson in a redraft league as a flier this week to go behind Ryan and Locker, but that's really my only investment in either guy.)
The one interception hit T.Y. Hilton right in the chest and then he batted it up and it was picked off.The other interception was BAD. Threw it right to the guy. A pick 6. As bad as you can get.Comes back out and is sacked on the next play. He then proceeds to march them down on a scoring TD drive. They had two rushing TD's after Luck got 'em in close. His ability to come back after that awful mistake and make some big throws really stood out to me.You also really can't compare beating up on the KC defense to the Steelers D.I like Wilson and think he should get the start. I just think Luck has been a bit more impressive.

As a titans fan, I wish we had two good quarterbacks. Best I can tell, we might have one...eventually. I continue to think its strange that science guy thinks Wilson being successful means Flynn is not. Very strange.

As a titans fan, I wish we had two good quarterbacks. Best I can tell, we might have one...eventually. I continue to think its strange that science guy thinks Wilson being successful means Flynn is not. Very strange.
Flynn did just fine. Managed the game.....Wilson was spectacular. I never said Flynn was horrible. You need more than "managed the game" from a QB.... Sorry Abe.

Flynn did just fine. Managed the game.....Wilson was spectacular. I never said Flynn was horrible. You need more than "managed the game" from a QB.... Sorry Abe.
You've made plenty of comments to the idea that Flynn was somehow poor in performance. And why are you apologizing to me?

FWIW this was a road game too. As a life long Hawks fan I know even in preseason, Arrowhead is a noisy place to place. Wilson did really well in a rough road game environment.

You've made plenty of comments to the idea that Flynn was somehow poor in performance. And why are you apologizing to me?
You seem to favor Flynn....which is cooll... To each his own....I just don't see it.

i'm happy for wilson. the guy works his ### off and is a class act on and off the field. there isn't a more deserving guy in the league... all the doubters coming into the draft and for him to get an opportunity is a great story. he has a huge chip (crater) on his shoulder and i'm excited to see him grow as a QB because he will only get better. he definitely put in a huge bid tonight to start the season as the starter, i hope they give it to him.

side note: as a badgers fan it's amazing to think we actually had an starting NFL caliber QB on our roster for the first time in god knows how long - perhaps ever. :lmao:

i'm happy for wilson. the guy works his ### off and is a class act on and off the field. there isn't a more deserving guy in the league... all the doubters coming into the draft and for him to get an opportunity is a great story. he has a huge chip (crater) on his shoulder and i'm excited to see him grow as a QB because he will only get better. he definitely put in a huge bid tonight to start the season as the starter, i hope they give it to him.side note: as a badgers fan it's amazing to think we actually had an starting NFL caliber QB on our roster for the first time in god knows how long - perhaps ever. :lmao:
This town will riot if they don't start him ...

i'm happy for wilson. the guy works his ### off and is a class act on and off the field. there isn't a more deserving guy in the league... all the doubters coming into the draft and for him to get an opportunity is a great story. he has a huge chip (crater) on his shoulder and i'm excited to see him grow as a QB because he will only get better. he definitely put in a huge bid tonight to start the season as the starter, i hope they give it to him.side note: as a badgers fan it's amazing to think we actually had an starting NFL caliber QB on our roster for the first time in god knows how long - perhaps ever. :lmao:
Overturned coffee trolleys everywhere! :)

:lmao: understandably so! he adds a nice spark to the offense it seems - will be exciting to watch. i think i've found my second favorite team for this season. too bad they're in the NFC too... ;)

You seem to favor Flynn....which is cooll... To each his own....I just don't see it.
I don't particularly favor one over the other. I'm just perplexed as to how the Wilson fans (including you) seem to be trumpeting "Wilson rules! Flynn drools!" instead of saying "wow...we had notging at qb last year and now we might actually have TWO guys that can play well for us!"Eta - I own Flynn in a 24 team dynasty with 20 man rosters. Most every skill position player is on a roster. I also have kolb and ponder backing up Brady. My selection bias is pretty much non existent. If Matt Flynn never throws another nfl pass I won't be that upset.

Overturned coffee trolleys everywhere! :)
Like you wouldn't believe

:lmao: understandably so! he adds a nice spark to the offense it seems - will be exciting to watch. i think i've found my second favorite team for this season. too bad they're in the NFC too... ;)
I'm with you. I've really enjoyed what Seattle has done since Carroll took over. Now with Russell I'm really becoming a fan. This is a fun team to watch.

I don't particularly favor one over the other. I'm just perplexed as to how the Wilson fans (including you) seem to be trumpeting "Wilson rules! Flynn drools!" instead of saying "wow...we had notging at qb last year and now we might actually have TWO guys that can play well for us!"Eta - I own Flynn in a 24 team dynasty with 20 man rosters. Most every skill position player is on a roster. I also have kolb and ponder backing up Brady. My selection bias is pretty much non existent. If Matt Flynn never throws another nfl pass I won't be that upset.
My eyes tell me who is more dynamic. Average doesn't win. I have NEVER seen someone like Wilson....it's pretty hard not to be excited.

My eyes tell me who is more dynamic. Average doesn't win. I have NEVER seen someone like Wilson....it's pretty hard not to be excited.
That's high praise. If you mean we've never seen an undersized later round quarterback perform well so quickly then I would agree. But I think every year or two there is a new quarterback that "revolutinizes" the position.

Sorry to break this to you but it's still the preseason. The games only count for depth chart purposes. Let him start next week and see what happens. Like I've said before I'm happy for the kid and he deserves it as he should have been a 1st rounder but don't let the baristas, fishermen and grunge artists get too out of hand just yet.

I wish people would stop quoting ITS. He is 100% what's wrong with this place nowadays.

/Bostonfred

Is he startable week one against arizona if he wins the job? wdis police, do not get on my case, just wondering if those tens of thousands of ff owners who waited on qb and have a mid round qbbc going would pull the trigger on him week one. the potential rushing stats are JUICY

Ill ask again - why is Flynn a fraud?
Bro, he has been averageWilson has been dynamic....sorry?
He has been average in the preseason games you have seen. You have not seen practice. You are discounting what he did in green bay. Thats fine - no need to argue that. In trying to ask how he is a "fraud"? Call him average or second string but I'm not sure how we get to "fraud?"
bro.....I have seen practice. I live 20 min from practice and Wilson has been beter......sorry...drop him from your team
It's weird. You should be Ecstatic about your team having a good player and you should be excited about being the guy that called it on the board. You should probably be exited about them being the only team in the division with two decent quarterbacks. But instead, you have managed to show a reading comprehension problem and generally ignored substantive discussion.

Maybe next time you're in this spot you won't come across like a third grader. :shrug:
Who cares about who called anything on "a board" that's pathetic Internet kiddie ####. I'm pumped as a fan they have their Qb of the future. Something.....we have never had. It's rough being a Seattle sports fan. I don't care that you own Flynn on a fantasy team.....bfd bro.
That's pretty funny coming from a guy with a link in his sig patting himself on the back for predicting Rodgers would be great. :whistle:
Well, Scientist bumped a post of his where he made a prediction about Wilson... and then that wasn't enough so he gave his own bump a triple :goodposting: So the answer to his own question is that he, in fact, does. But I'm in the "give it a rest" crowd. It's extremely annoying and as a fellow Seahawks fan it's extremely embarrassing. It's like LHUCKS on adderol.

Right now, here's how I personally value the rookie QBs:RG3WilsonLuck------Big Gap-----------FolesTannehillWeedenOsweiler/CousinsFair warning, I haven't watched Cousins play in the preseason because I've always moved on to another game stream once RG3 was out. RG3 - For the same reasons I love Wilson, I love RG3. Accurate, has arm strength, good leaderships skills... list goes on. I also can't discount the sheer amount of assets traded for him.Wilson - I've been super high on this guy ever since I saw him crush the #### out of my beloved Cornhuskers. He's got all the tools to succeed, he just needed a receptive coach to let him showcase them. I would not be surprised if, in the end, Wilson was the best quarterback from this class.Luck - I have to acknowledge that the guy is a skilled QB, but there's just something about him that I don't like. He can make the throws, he's intelligent, he's hard working... I just don't know what it is that I don't like. I'm skeptical that he'll have early success, and I'm skeptical that the coaching staff/support system in Indy is good enough to turn him into Peyton 2.0. He also just doesn't have that "face of the franchise" feel to him, like the previous two. Of course, that's not a requirement to be a successful NFL QB and keep in mind, I still have him in the tier of "I think these guys have an excellent shot for future fantasy relevance."Foles - I rank him this highly mostly because of situation. I think he has the talent to run Andy Reid's offense pretty well (heck, if Kolb looked good there, Foles certainly can), and I'm down enough on Vick that I like his chances at starting a game within the next year.Tannehill - I think he still has work to do as a pocket passer, and I'm not convinced he has a good enough surrounding cast (coaching/organization included) to make the required jump to fantasy success.Weeden - Too much uncertainty around that organization for my tastes. Top that off with the razor thin margin for error that a 28 year old draft pick has, and I'll be staying away. Too many better QB options in your typical 12 team league to bank on this guy's development.Osweiler - Latest victim of "Tall QB syndrome." I cringe nearly every time I see this guy throw the ball. He's in that awkward place where a dude at nearly 6'8" has to throw almost sidearm to keep the ball the right height for his receivers. At least, that's the best way I can describe what I think is wrong with how he throws. He doesn't look comfortable doing it and the passes have a weird trajectory to them. I say all of this as an Osweiler owner.Cousins - Incomplete.
I stand by my previous assessment :D

Another stat for the Russel Sprouts (RW fanatics): the Seattle first teamers hadn't scored a TD in the first two games. Whatever unit Wilson (Caramel Flutie?) has QBed 12 of the 18 TDs the Hawks have put in. I'd give a lot of money to have had Hard Knocks doing this QB battle. What a bizarre off/pre-season.

Now, cut TO, ditch the gray pants and keep blue on the road, do a throwback day to honor Cortez (still beats the Wilson hype for my favorite part of the season so far, Tez was the first jersey I ever bought), make Flynn have a great attitude and accept this with professionalism so if Wilson gets hurt the team still has a QB, get something for TJ (or a lot for Flynn), and keep Big Red healthy and blocking kicks and passes and stuffing the run, no suspension for Beast Mode so he and Hulk Smash can crush the D...

### #### I love this Carrol-Schneider combo. Russell and Mora can go eat a bag of turds. I'm finally all in on football mode, switching out the Kings Stanley Cup hats and shirts for Seahawks gear (I needed a lot of time to celebrate that on). Can't wait to smash the Whiners and send Harbaugh (elite coach my ### after taking over a team with tons of top ten picks, ooooohhh tough job there) scowling home to kick the family dog.

PS: screw you NFL channel for not playing the game until midnight Sunday when other games are going to be broadcast twice before then. Not a single highlight I've seen shows Hulk Smash's runs or the return TDs!

I checked with Vegas. O/U is 23 pages by week 2.

I already feel dirty for posting in here again.

Keep fighting the good fight GBCD. Flynn is not a "fraud".

I checked with Vegas. O/U is 23 pages by week 2.I already feel dirty for posting in here again.Keep fighting the good fight GBCD. Flynn is not a "fraud".
No he's not but he isn't the playmaker Wilson is either. Wilson's the kind of player who makes players play better with him. He's exciting and the fans will want to come out to see them play more with him than Flynn.

Flynn isn't a fraud but he's done close to nothing in terms of moving the ball and putting up points so far for Seattle.

Throwing out his one possession that ended with him kneeling to kill the clock before the half, here's a full games worth of drives for Flynn with the Seahawks' 1s.

Time TOP Started Plays Yards Result12:08 9:17 SEA 15 15 62 Field Goal14:35 1:55 SEA 6 4 28 Interception11:04 3:38 SEA 16 6 7 Punt06:17 1:21 SEA 39 3 6 Punt13:23 1:52 SEA 25 3 -9 Blocked Punt10:43 5:34 SEA 36 11 39 Field Goal15:00 1:31 SEA 20 3 5 Punt12:14 3:37 DEN 46 9 28 Field Goal08:11 5:32 DEN 44 8 19 Field Goal
And then Russell in 3 quarters with the starters (some of the third was with the 2's actually but let's not pick nits).

Time TOP Started Plays Yards Result12:54 5:25 SEA 41 12 41 Field Goal04:55 3:00 SEA 20 7 59 Field Goal00:59 3:15 SEA 36 7 37 Field Goal10:29 0:46 SEA 38 3 62 Touchdown02:00 1:30 SEA 20 7 80 Touchdown15:00 1:46 SEA 20 4 80 Touchdown09:38 2:59 SEA 13 7 54 Missed FG
Everybody keeps talking #### about the KC defense but they absolutely shut down the pass over the last half of 2011, I realize they were down some starters but they'll be a sneaky good fantasy D this year and a team to avoid starting your borderline players against. A much better test than Denver or Tennessee D's IMO.

Scientist, your schtick is old and played out and frankly, you're embarrassing the rest of the PNW with your behavior, learn some decorum.

I'm in.

Won him at the FA auction in my quasi-dynasty league. He'll get a year apprenticeship under Brees. Heck, I may just go ahead and trade Brees now. No reason to put the future off any longer.

BTW, I'm 5'6" and have a cannon for an arm. I think it's time I get back in the gym.

Russell Wilson shows Seattle Seahawks he wants job

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

We called Seattle Seahawks rookie quarterback Russell Wilson the new favorite to start in Week 1 for Pete Carroll's crew. Friday night's performance in a 44-14 preseason victory should seal the deal.

Wilson, a third-round draft pick out of Wisconsin, was excellent once again, leading the Seahawks to 30 points against the Kansas City Chiefs' first-team defense in less than 35 minutes of action. Wilson then stayed in against the Chiefs' reserves, leading the Seahawks to another touchdown drive while playing with the rest of the Seahawks' backups. Carroll wanted to get Wilson as much work as possible.

Wilson completed 13 of 19 passes for 185 yards and two touchdowns. He also rushed twice for 58 yards in a performance that could make him the record fifth rookie starting quarterback to start this season.

The rushing ability should break the tie for Wilson over Matt Flynn, who sat out Friday night with a sore elbow.

Wilson has shown occasional inaccuracy on throws down the field and he took a few sacks, but he has made terrific decisions overall. He completed four plays over 20 yards, including a gorgeous 32-yard toss to Braylon Edwards and a 40-yard play to Terrell Owens.

It was a great game by Wilson, and yet it somehow felt unremarkable. It felt like we were watching a veteran having a nice tune-up before the season. It's not hard to see why Carroll loves this kid so much. We're starting to love the kid, too.

We had the Seahawks penciled in as a surprise winner of the NFC West before Wilson emerged in camp. That pick isn't going to change.

Carroll still not announcing Wilson as the starter.

Seriously come on Carroll, make a decision already. Wilson has definitely earned the first opportunity to lead the team in week 1. Announce it, give him the reps in practice and get on with it.

Carroll still not announcing Wilson as the starter.Seriously come on Carroll, make a decision already. Wilson has definitely earned the first opportunity to lead the team in week 1. Announce it, give him the reps in practice and get on with it.
Oh, well then. Maybe he should read this thread. As is the situations in Arizona, the Seattle qb situation has to be handled delicately. It is possible that both coaches can navigate the "competition" in a way that ends up with both quarterbacks being useful, quality players. It's also possible to ruin one or both of them on the way to week 1. I don't blame carroll or wiz for waiting longer. I would assume they are having lots of dialogue with each guy as they look for the best result.

Carroll still not announcing Wilson as the starter.

Seriously come on Carroll, make a decision already. Wilson has definitely earned the first opportunity to lead the team in week 1. Announce it, give him the reps in practice and get on with it.
The playcalling has been very conservative with Flynn. He may want to give him a shot in the last game, but most teams want the QB named before the final game.

This is from Waldman's blog:

"1. Russell Wilson slams the door shut on the NFL’s case of Flutiephobia: I’m not writing this to say that the NFL should consider every quarterback prospect under 6’0″, but Wilson is the same example of a player that Brian Westbrook was according to Gil Brandt: “if he were two inches taller and 10 pounds heavier, he’d be a top-10 pick.” This is essentially the same thing said of the college captain of two major conference football programs. Wilson has everything you want but height: the arm, accuracy, aggressiveness, smarts, mobility, toughness, and leadership. In fact, leadership might be his best quality and that’s something I’ve rarely discussed about him because I didn’t want to be pegged as a guy lauding a quarterback’s intangibles where there was so much more to praise about his game. Wilson’s 13/19, 185-yard, 2-touchdown effort in his first preseason start that included 58 yards on 2 carries is a great start, but far from conclusive that he’s going to be a great NFL starter. While I believe it, this story is just beginning. And I can’t wait for it to begin."

Carroll still not announcing Wilson as the starter.Seriously come on Carroll, make a decision already. Wilson has definitely earned the first opportunity to lead the team in week 1. Announce it, give him the reps in practice and get on with it.
Oh, well then. Maybe he should read this thread. As is the situations in Arizona, the Seattle qb situation has to be handled delicately. It is possible that both coaches can navigate the "competition" in a way that ends up with both quarterbacks being useful, quality players. It's also possible to ruin one or both of them on the way to week 1. I don't blame carroll or wiz for waiting longer. I would assume they are having lots of dialogue with each guy as they look for the best result.
It still amazes me that people seem to ignore or dismiss the value and impact of the meeting rooms and the coach's communication with the players. What gets out to us is nothing like what gets said to the players in private. As much as I love the potential apparent in Wilson, I trust Carroll to handle this and make the best decision so I'm not going to trip on what I think he should do. Other than cutting TO

Agreed. Preseason games are a small slice of what gets a team ready for the season.
For sure....and obviously to even be a part of the competition as a 3rd round rookie Wilson must have blown away the staff. Can't imagine how impressive Wilson is in practice and in the film room.

Agreed. Preseason games are a small slice of what gets a team ready for the season.
For sure....and obviously to even be a part of the competition as a 3rd round rookie Wilson must have blown away the staff. Can't imagine how impressive Wilson is in practice and in the film room.
I see it as t jax being really really bad.
You see it as anything to discount Russell Wilson. Just put in for a wavier claim, drop Flynn from your team....then you can feel good on this train.

Users who are viewing this thread