What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (11 Viewers)

I got him last night in a dynasty auction draft for $3. Pretty psyched. I have him and Tannehill backing up newton.

Several guys in my league knew about him but I thin noone was as high on him as me. He lasted till the end of the auction, I kept my powder dry and had more bidding money than anyone else. But they certainly could have run him up to $10. No one seemed interested. Fine by me!!

I picked up Wilson off the wire last night as my QB2. But I think the hype is getting out of control.

Last night on ESPN they had a poll of "which rookie QB would have the most success?", and Wilson took the lead by far by over 66%, with Luck and RGIII less than 10% or 15%.

Yeah, the Tua drop had a 95% chance of being a TD.

Though, Wilson was pretty late on the next pass.

BTW, how many rushing yards are we really expecting?

He was a 300-400/year guy in college. Obviously, schemes are completely different and, at least at Wisconsin, there was a huge mouth to feed in Ball, but those are very modest figures.

Has there ever been a legitimate NFL QB running threat that didn't double that sort of production in college?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night on ESPN they had a poll of "which rookie QB would have the most success?", and Wilson took the lead by far by over 66%, with Luck and RGIII less than 10% or 15%.
This is more a factor of supporting cast. Seattle's front office made a choice to build a defense and running game while waiting for a quarterback. Both look to be top notch.EDIT: If you take a look at the past three Seattle drafts in five or six years from now I think you'll find they hit the jackpot in the later rounds time and time again. I don't think any other team is going to have near as many starters as Seattle has reaped from the late rounds recently.

Yeah, the Tua drop had a 95% chance of being a TD.Though, Wilson was pretty late on the next pass.
I thought Wilson's worst attempt last night was a ball to a TE over the middle. He missed high and it was nearly picked by the safety. That said, you're correct that his attempt near the goal line was late.Wilson is accurate. Very accurate. I will be shocked if he doesn't complete more than 60 to 65% of his attempts this season.
BTW, how many rushing yards are we really expecting?He was a 300-400/year guy in college. Obviously, schemes are completely different and, at least at Wisconsin, there was a huge mouth to feed in Ball, but those are very modest figures.Has there ever been a legitimate NFL QB running threat that didn't double that sort of production in college?
The biggest surprise for me is that Wilson has not looked to take off more when the pocket starts to collapse around him. He keeps his eyes down field when there's chaos all around him. If he does take off the kid has wheels, but I think most people are going to overestimate his rushing stats.

Yeah, the Tua drop had a 95% chance of being a TD.Though, Wilson was pretty late on the next pass.
I thought Wilson's worst attempt last night was a ball to a TE over the middle. He missed high and it was nearly picked by the safety. That said, you're correct that his attempt near the goal line was late.Wilson is accurate. Very accurate. I will be shocked if he doesn't complete more than 60 to 65% of his attempts this season.
BTW, how many rushing yards are we really expecting?He was a 300-400/year guy in college. Obviously, schemes are completely different and, at least at Wisconsin, there was a huge mouth to feed in Ball, but those are very modest figures.Has there ever been a legitimate NFL QB running threat that didn't double that sort of production in college?
The biggest surprise for me is that Wilson has not looked to take off more when the pocket starts to collapse around him. He keeps his eyes down field when there's chaos all around him. If he does take off the kid has wheels, but I think most people are going to overestimate his rushing stats.
Yeah, that seems to be a bit of concern. He's been going for, what 40ish yards/game in the pre-season? So, that is encouraging.But if he doesn't, then I could see it being a big damper on his value. He could be a really nice rookie QB, in terms of passing, and it looks like he will, but man, it takes 4000 yards and 25 TDs to even make a dent on the fantasy QB radar these days.He could have an amazing rookie year, but those would still be wildly optimistic numbers. That high-upside folks (like myself) are looking for seems like it'll have to come on the ground.

Thought from yesterday's performance?
Tua dropped a TD pass from Wilson. Had he caught it, Wilson would have been 6/11 for 80 yards and 1 TD in 1 quarter of work. Solid.ETA: didn't see the game, have only recap and box score to go by.
Had T.O. caught that 54 yarder from Flynn, things may have been sized up differently too...Not bringing that out to be snarky. Just as a way of saying I think the Seahawks are appreciating other things than just attempts/completions/yards because Wilson isn't really standing out in that area to start with. Everyone is ripping the Chiefs in the passing game so I'm not sure that is a great place to base the decision. Flynn completed 11/13 with a TD so I don't think they are going by just pure numbers.

I wonder where RGIII would be drafted if he actually decided to run this preseason.

I grabbed Wilson as my QB3 hoping he starts hot and I can deal him for a better rb/wr. I really hope I can move him before the Cardinals game.

He could have an amazing rookie year, but those would still be wildly optimistic numbers. That high-upside folks (like myself) are looking for seems like it'll have to come on the ground.
If the Seattle coaching staff has it their way Wilson won't post great stats. Their choice would be for Lynch and Turbin to post enormous numbers and just beat the crap out of teams with physicality. A great season from the team would probably result in Wilson posting numbers similar to Alex Smith from a year ago. Limited attempts with very few turnovers. Carroll will be excited to beat teams 20-6 each week if he has it his way. I guess what I'm saying is your team expectations should determine what you think Wilson will do for numbers. If you think the team is just an average club and posts an 8-8 record it would be fair to project much better stats for Wilson.

This might be the single biggest factor that people are overlooking about Wilson. Many rookie QBs struggle with that - and those that can run typically resort to it way too early under pressure. If Wilson can keep going through his reads and then only run if needed, he could have an extremely succesful rookie season. This kid continues to impress on many levels.

Just something to consider, in the first 8 games of the season Wilson will "match up against" the following QBs - Romo, Rodgers, Cam, Brady, and Stafford. The other 3 games he has are ALL away games; AT San Fran (likely #1 defense), AT St. Louis, and AT Cardinals week 1. Not the easiest first half of the season.

Just something to consider, in the first 8 games of the season Wilson will "match up against" the following QBs - Romo, Rodgers, Cam, Brady, and Stafford. The other 3 games he has are ALL away games; AT San Fran (likely #1 defense), AT St. Louis, and AT Cardinals week 1. Not the easiest first half of the season.
He doesn't play against the other team's QB. In fact, other than the Rams (who were 7th), all of his first 8 games are against defenses that finished in the bottom half in terms of passing yards allowed in 2011 - including the 31st and 32nd.I would suggest that a QB playing against an opponent that scores a lot but has a weak pass defense is actually a benefit - not a detriment (well, in terms of FF production) - as he will have to throw a lot to keep up and he gets to do so against a defense that is actually not that good at stopping him.

He doesn't play against the other team's QB. In fact, other than the Rams (who were 7th), all of his first 8 games are against defenses that finished in the bottom half in terms of passing yards allowed in 2011 - including the 31st and 32nd.I would suggest that a QB playing against an opponent that scores a lot but has a weak pass defense is actually a benefit - not a detriment (well, in terms of FF production) - as he will have to throw a lot to keep up and he gets to do so against a defense that is actually not that good at stopping him.
Green Bay will be tougher this year but not a top passing D.

Week 1 I'm starting Russell Wilson against ARI over Tony Romo against NYG and Andy Dalton against BAL.

Yeah, the Tua drop had a 95% chance of being a TD.

Though, Wilson was pretty late on the next pass.

BTW, how many rushing yards are we really expecting?

He was a 300-400/year guy in college. Obviously, schemes are completely different and, at least at Wisconsin, there was a huge mouth to feed in Ball, but those are very modest figures.

Has there ever been a legitimate NFL QB running threat that didn't double that sort of production in college?
Wilson had 1421 rushing yards in 50 college games, an average of 28 yards per game. But in college, yards lost on sacks are counted as rushing yards. A quick check of the past few years at N.C. State shows an average of about 220 yards lost due to sacks per season. So it's reasonable to think if you ignore sacks, his actual rushing yardage was probably more than 40 yards per game on average.As for this season, I expect him to rush for 350-450 yards, assuming he plays a full season. He has the ability to rush for more, but I think he will use his mobility more to buy time to pass than to run.

I understand he doesn't play the other team's QB, just saying he's going to be up for a HUGE challenge to start the season against those teams, many of which have a mean pass rush. If he struggles to win games, might that lead to a QB controversy?

I understand he doesn't play the other team's QB, just saying he's going to be up for a HUGE challenge to start the season against those teams, many of which have a mean pass rush. If he struggles to win games, might that lead to a QB controversy?
Cam started 1-5 (and 2-8) and the consensus drooled all over him as the best QB ever. The average football fan is smarter than just W/Ls anymore.

No, it will not lead to a QB controversy. I think people are far too hung up on draft status still. You don't hear people saying this about Luck or RG3. Wilson is being looked at as the QBOTF in Seattle and it's going to take more than a couple of games of complete disaster to see any change. We suffered through T-Jack in 2011 so there's a lot of room for improvement.The Seahawks are going to act a lot more like the 2008 Ravens where they are going to run the ball heavily to control the clock and then have a strong defense to keep the opposition at bay.

I just got Wilson off waivers, dropped J. Baldwin. I have Wilson and RG3. I feel like one of them will have a hot start fueled by big rushing numbers and someone will think of Cam Newton last year and bite on a big trade. I like pairing Wilson and RG3 if it is cheap. The value on one of these guys will be really inflated in a week or two.

I just got Wilson off waivers, dropped J. Baldwin. I have Wilson and RG3. I feel like one of them will have a hot start fueled by big rushing numbers and someone will think of Cam Newton last year and bite on a big trade. I like pairing Wilson and RG3 if it is cheap. The value on one of these guys will be really inflated in a week or two.
Just so I have this straight....you have 2 rookie QBs. You didn't mention another QB. If one of these guys gets off to a hot start, a start hot enough to make people think they are trading for the next Cam Newton, you are going to trade him away, putting your season in the hands of the rookie that didn't get off to the hot start.You have 2 rookie QBs. I would guess that the position you could most use potential stud production at would be.....QB.

Maybe there's another QB you didn't mention or you are in a larger position of need somewhere else, but if not, I have a hard time imagining you'll trade one of these guys away after a couple of 25-30 point games. Nor should you.

Just so I have this straight....you have 2 rookie QBs. You didn't mention another QB. If one of these guys gets off to a hot start, a start hot enough to make people think they are trading for the next Cam Newton, you are going to trade him away, putting your season in the hands of the rookie that didn't get off to the hot start.You have 2 rookie QBs. I would guess that the position you could most use potential stud production at would be.....QB.

Maybe there's another QB you didn't mention or you are in a larger position of need somewhere else, but if not, I have a hard time imagining you'll trade one of these guys away after a couple of 25-30 point games. Nor should you.
Oh, I took Rodgers in the first. I only took RG3 because he fell to what I considered a value and figured if he hits, he is great trade bait. Same with adding Wilson. Neither will ever start a week for me barring an injury to Rodgers.

ETA: didn't see the game, have only recap and box score to go by.
Me too, and Flynn's numbers look mighty impressive also (he had 3 scoring drives last night). Could that mean it's more "system", and less Wilson?
No. At least no more than any other QB is a product of the system. Flynn is a decent QB who could start in this league. And if it were just the system, Flynn would be starting. For Wilson to win the job as a rookie, the staff has to be confident that he gives them the better chance to win than Flynn does. I think people tend to forget that and slip into thinking that Carroll had to start Wilson because of preseason box scores. While I don't see Carroll as being in a hot seat, this isn't his first season either. He can't afford to be leaving wins on the table so he can develop the team's future QB on the field at the expense of the W-L record. Wilson is starting because of one thing: he outplayed Flynn...and it wasn't just in the box score. But even if it is the system, who cares? Carroll isn't going to reverse himself now. He's made the call. Wilson is locked in for the first month of the season in a system that makes him look good. And if Wilson hangs on to the job, he's going to be in that system for the next few years unless Carroll gets fired. So why worry? It's good to know if a QB is a product of the system if there is uncertainty in his future (like a staff change or team change). But if his situation is stable, roll with a system QB. System QB's points count just the same as elite QB's points in my leagues.

People seem to discount that both Flynn/Wilson are rookies in this Seattle system. It really isn't that surprising they'd just hand the keys to Wilson.

Same thing going on in San Diego with Bobby Meachem. Expectations that a career underachiever, that took years to pick up the nuisances of the NO system, was going to be a smooth transition are/were head scratching to say the least. This will be the offseason of the WR free agent bust (Meachem/Laurent Robinson)....trying to convert reserve WR's into WR1's -- interesting to say the least with those 2. I expect things to be Jerry Porter free agent bad with Bobby Meachem.

Oh, I took Rodgers in the first. I only took RG3 because he fell to what I considered a value and figured if he hits, he is great trade bait. Same with adding Wilson. Neither will ever start a week for me barring an injury to Rodgers.
Oh, okay. That makes sense.

I'll let this bandwagon pass me by. Wilson never looked special to me. I think he could be a good starter or above average backup in the league. Kind of a Kyle Orton career path. Wilson had a great year at Wisconsin, but lets not pretend like the Big Ten was very good last year. It's easier to make "all the right reads" when your entire OL are legit NFL prospects.
Still think so?

Starting Cutler vs IND over him, and also over Vick in week 1. Still like the guy, but I need real proof.
There have only been a handful of rookie QBs who were ever fantasy relevant. Wilson is barely rosterable, let alone startable.
The rushing is the key. If he can do what Andy Dalton (3400/20) did last year, but with 500/5 on the ground, he's a top 10 QB.If you don't think he can stick, fine, but starting QBs that run are pretty much always fantasy relevant.

Thank god those QB's don't play defense as well.

Thank god those QB's don't play defense as well.
I wish CAR would let Cam come in on 3rd downs to rush the passer. That would be awesome.

Any opinions on who the most fantasy relevant TE will be out of seattle now for wilson to throw to?? My guess is Z Miller, but i think i am in the minority.

Starting Cutler vs IND over him, and also over Vick in week 1. Still like the guy, but I need real proof.
There have only been a handful of rookie QBs who were ever fantasy relevant. Wilson is barely rosterable, let alone startable.
The rushing is the key. If he can do what Andy Dalton (3400/20) did last year, but with 500/5 on the ground, he's a top 10 QB.
Number of rookie QBs who've had 3400/20 seasons since 1970: 3Number of rookie QBs who've had 500/5 seasons since 1970: 2Number of rookie QBs who have done both: 1So you're banking on Wilson doing what only 1 other rookie QB in the history of the game has done (and even then he'd only be the 11th best fantasy QB).Sorry, I just don't see it. Wilson might be OK, but he's not Cam Newton 2.0.

The rushing is the key. If he can do what Andy Dalton (3400/20) did last year, but with 500/5 on the ground, he's a top 10 QB.
Number of rookie QBs who've had 3400/20 seasons since 1970: 3Number of rookie QBs who've had 500/5 seasons since 1970: 2Number of rookie QBs who have done both: 1So you're banking on Wilson doing what only 1 other rookie QB in the history of the game has done (and even then he'd only be the 11th best fantasy QB).Sorry, I just don't see it. Wilson might be OK, but he's not Cam Newton 2.0.
Your point is well-made that Wilson being a top 10 QB is unlikely.However, do you find it telling that of the 3 3400/20 QBs since 1970, 2 of them were last season (though Dalton technically missed the mark)?Rookie QBs starting week 1 used to be rare and 3400/20 isn't what it used to be. Mark freaking Sanchez just busted out a 3400/26. Hasselbeck was 2 TDs away and he just got benched for Locker.Maybe he won't do it, but it certainly doesn't take a special QB to do it anymore. It pretty much just takes an almost competent QB playing 16 games.As I said, the rushing is the key. I have no idea what'll happen there, but there's certainly a chance he could go for 30 yards a game.

Interesting notes about RW

"Russell Wilson was not handed the Seahawks starting job. I’m told in July he often was the only football person at the Seahawks facility, as he showed up every day at 6:30 a.m. to watch tape. Wilson has a little Peyton Manning in him. In fact, he consulted with Manning before the draft, as well as Eli Manning, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. Wilson also visited with Colts quarterback coach Clyde Christensen, who previously coached Peyton Manning. Christensen shared Peyton’s notes with Wilson, and they were similar to the kind of notes Wilson takes. Wilson keeps a diary of every practice on an Excel worksheet."
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-3466.html

Sorry, I just don't see it. Wilson might be OK, but he's not Cam Newton 2.0.
He's Russell Wilson 1.0.

Your point is well-made that Wilson being a top 10 QB is unlikely.However, do you find it telling that of the 3 3400/20 QBs since 1970, 2 of them were last season (though Dalton technically missed the mark)?Rookie QBs starting week 1 used to be rare and 3400/20 isn't what it used to be. Mark freaking Sanchez just busted out a 3400/26. Hasselbeck was 2 TDs away and he just got benched for Locker.Maybe he won't do it, but it certainly doesn't take a special QB to do it anymore. It pretty much just takes an almost competent QB playing 16 games.
Exactly. And that's why Wilson could hit the 3400/20 benchmark and still not even be a top-12 fantasy QB. Like I said, Wilson might be a competent NFL starter as a rookie, but that doesn't mean he'll be fantasy relevant.

You are out of place if you're citing stats from 1970 Facenda...

I am getting all kinds of offers for him, but I am banking at them for now. The best I've received was Pierre Garcon, and if I wasn't stacked at WR, I would have taken it (Garcon would be my wr6 in a start 2 and flex league).

As a Seahawks fan I've been reading a lot of these "fluff" pieces over the past few weeks. I'm cautiously optimistic about him for sure, and stuff like this brings out the pure fan craziness. There was another article (I think even quoted in this thread) about how he prepares for games and the types of notes he takes. I think mentally he really has a leg up on most QBs, not just the rookies. I'm starting to buy into him becoming something special, but I'll wait to proclaim this until after I see his first game.

As a Seahawks fan I've been reading a lot of these "fluff" pieces over the past few weeks. I'm cautiously optimistic about him for sure, and stuff like this brings out the pure fan craziness. There was another article (I think even quoted in this thread) about how he prepares for games and the types of notes he takes. I think mentally he really has a leg up on most QBs, not just the rookies. I'm starting to buy into him becoming something special, but I'll wait to proclaim this until after I see his first game.
As a Seahawks fan Im optimistic. Not cautious about it at all.

Number of rookie QBs who've had 3400/20 seasons since 1970: 3Number of rookie QBs who've had 500/5 seasons since 1970: 2

Number of rookie QBs who have done both: 1

So you're banking on Wilson doing what only 1 other rookie QB in the history of the game has done (and even then he'd only be the 11th best fantasy QB).

The number of QBs who can throw and pass effectively (except maybe Steve Young) have all been recent: Vick, Tebow, now Locker and Wilson and Griffin are all on the horizon. 225 yards passing, 50 yards rushing, a TD running, a TD passing, say an INT and perhaps a couple sacks and you're right around 20 FF points.

Even a guy like Joe Webb: played most but not all of a game vs Detroit last year, he put up something like 25 FF points. Wilson will be better than Joe Webb, I feel safe about that.

From a FF perspective this combo seems like money to me.

Number of rookie QBs who've had 3400/20 seasons since 1970: 3Number of rookie QBs who've had 500/5 seasons since 1970: 2

So you're banking on Wilson doing what only 1 other rookie QB in the history of the game has done (and even then he'd only be the 11th best fantasy QB).

The number of QBs who can throw and pass effectively (except maybe Steve Young) have all been recent: Vick, Tebow, now Locker and Wilson and Griffin are all on the horizon. 225 yards passing, 50 yards rushing, a TD running, a TD passing, say an INT and perhaps a couple sacks and you're right around 20 FF points.

From a FF perspective this combo seems like money to me.
Let's not put Tebow down as someone who you can say can "pass" and "effectively" in the same sentence unless you're saying something to the effect of "Tebow cannot effectively pass the ball".

That's 3600 passing yards AND 800 rushing yards. No quarterback in the history of the NFL has done that.

Users who are viewing this thread