What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (3 Viewers)

13 penalties. Braylon Edwards at WR. Dropped passes left and right. Constant blitzing, WR's covered likeA blankets. Seattle was clearly run first, second, and if Lynch didn't get the first down then Wilson was stuck in obvious passing downs and blitzed. He definitely sailed some balls and made a bad .2 second judgement call on the play deemed a fumble because he threw it behind the line of scrimmage. The kid showed moxie and poise and the clear trust of his team and coach. I think if Pete intends to win, he's going to have to give Wilson some more rope and let him play.

To simply look at stats outside of context is foolish, and to express them definitively just leaves you looking ignorant.
I appreciate your homerism but please don't try to convince us that the Seahawks were a run-first team today. They ran over 40 pass plays, compared to less than 30 running plays.
First, I'm not a Seahawks fan. Secondly, they are absolutely a Run First team with Lynch, and have been a run first team for as long as I can remember. When has Seattle ever been a PASSING team? As for running over 40 pass plays----the box score says 34 (only 7 short of almost over 40....the box score also says 33 rushing plays---which is 4 more than less than 30. I'm not very good with math.

How many pass plays did Seattle run by quarter today? (a link would be nice...I don't trust your math) :excited:
You forgot to count th plays where Wilson dropped back and ended up running. So, the Math is correct.

13 penalties. Braylon Edwards at WR. Dropped passes left and right. Constant blitzing, WR's covered likeA blankets. Seattle was clearly run first, second, and if Lynch didn't get the first down then Wilson was stuck in obvious passing downs and blitzed. He definitely sailed some balls and made a bad .2 second judgement call on the play deemed a fumble because he threw it behind the line of scrimmage. The kid showed moxie and poise and the clear trust of his team and coach. I think if Pete intends to win, he's going to have to give Wilson some more rope and let him play.

To simply look at stats outside of context is foolish, and to express them definitively just leaves you looking ignorant.
I appreciate your homerism but please don't try to convince us that the Seahawks were a run-first team today. They ran over 40 pass plays, compared to less than 30 running plays.
First, I'm not a Seahawks fan. Secondly, they are absolutely a Run First team with Lynch, and have been a run first team for as long as I can remember. When has Seattle ever been a PASSING team? As for running over 40 pass plays----the box score says 34 (only 7 short of almost over 40....the box score also says 33 rushing plays---which is 4 more than less than 30. I'm not very good with math.

How many pass plays did Seattle run by quarter today? (a link would be nice...I don't trust your math) :excited:
You forgot to count th plays where Wilson dropped back and ended up running. So, the Math is correct.
:goodposting: Also forgot to count the sacks.

:goodposting: Also forgot to count the sacks.
That makes more sense, thanks for the clarification. Just got to the bottom of this thread. I agree that the NFL is a pass first league if we are talking %'s of rush-vs-pass...but you won't confuse the Seahawks O with the Pats/Packers when it comes to attempts/yards/TD's is all I'm trying to get at.

He had a rough day, no doubt. The cardinals d is solid and the fervor for Wilson probably blinded folks to the realization that playing qb is really hard. He will probably get better. That said, the lack of downfield completions is troubling. Not that everything should be bombs away, but the point of leaning on the run is to set up more than a 4 yard curl.

Dallas next week, and then Green Bay the week after. Could be an 0 and 3 start starring the rookie in the face. That would set up a must win game agaisnt St. Louis in week 4.

Definitely a hault on the band wagon. As I have claimed from the start. Flynn should have started this season, and game. Wilson may end up being a starter in time, but I just dont think it was smart to start Wilson over Flynn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas next week, and then Green Bay the week after. Could be an 0 and 3 start starring the rookie in the face. That would set up a must win game agaisnt St. Louis in week 4.Definitely a hault on the band wagon. As I have claimed from the start. Flynn should have started this season, and game. Wilson may end up being a starter in time, but I just dont think it was smart to start Wilson over Flynn.
What can be done when he clearly outperformed and out-prepared Flynn by all accounts?

He had a rough day, no doubt. The cardinals d is solid and the fervor for Wilson probably blinded folks to the realization that playing qb is really hard. He will probably get better. That said, the lack of downfield completions is troubling. Not that everything should be bombs away, but the point of leaning on the run is to set up more than a 4 yard curl.
Overly simplistic take don't you think? Would you have bothered writing this had Edwards held on to that pass in the end zone?

Overly simplistic take don't you think? Would you have bothered writing this had Edwards held on to that pass in the end zone?
Even if Edwards holds on its not a great performance. I'm not bagging on the guy. Playing qb is tough in the nfl. Maybe he finishes top 10 like so many want. Maybe he's the worst starter in the league. I don't particularly have a projection of how it will turn out. But he had a rough day. Why is saying so such a bad thing?

Dallas next week, and then Green Bay the week after. Could be an 0 and 3 start starring the rookie in the face. That would set up a must win game agaisnt St. Louis in week 4.Definitely a hault on the band wagon. As I have claimed from the start. Flynn should have started this season, and game. Wilson may end up being a starter in time, but I just dont think it was smart to start Wilson over Flynn.
What can be done when he clearly outperformed and out-prepared Flynn by all accounts?
Its not as if Flynn fell on his face. Flynn had a good preseason himself. I think it was safe to say that after today it is looking like Flynn may have been the better play.

Even if Edwards holds on its not a great performance. I'm not bagging on the guy. Playing qb is tough in the nfl. Maybe he finishes top 10 like so many want. Maybe he's the worst starter in the league. I don't particularly have a projection of how it will turn out. But he had a rough day. Why is saying so such a bad thing?
Because that's not all you said; you followed it up with the nice little non sequitur jab that he'll "probably" get better (implication being he may not). How many QB's come into the league and play their best game the first time out? It was ridiculous and belies your feelings on the subject of Wilson. I say feelings because it isn't like you are speaking to the facts of the game that was played.It's just too obvious that you have an attachment to your initial judgement of Wilson, which is fine. Just own up to that.

Its not as if Flynn fell on his face. Flynn had a good preseason himself. I think it was safe to say that after today it is looking like Flynn may have been the better play.
Why? It may be safe to say, but there is no evidence of that. Do you think Carroll is going to sit Wilson now? If not, do you think he won't just to prove a point?The fact remains that the competition was open and Flynn lost it.

So the idea that he might not get better means that I am against him? And me saying he "probably" will is code for me thinking he won't? Ok, sure. That makes sense.

Because that's not all you said; you followed it up with the nice little non sequitur jab that he'll "probably" get better (implication being he may not). How many QB's come into the league and play their best game the first time out? It was ridiculous and belies your feelings on the subject of Wilson. I say feelings because it isn't like you are speaking to the facts of the game that was played.It's just too obvious that you have an attachment to your initial judgement of Wilson, which is fine. Just own up to that.
My oh my...somebodies thenthitive.

Why? It may be safe to say, but there is no evidence of that. Do you think Carroll is going to sit Wilson now? If not, do you think he won't just to prove a point?The fact remains that the competition was open and Flynn lost it.
They lost a winnable game and quarterback play was one of the main reasons. No, he isn't getting benched. But it is fair to speculate what might have happened had another qb been playing. You seem to be taking criticism of Wilson sort of hard, which is bizarre. He did not play well. I'm sure he'd agree. There is nothing abnormal about commenting on that.

So the idea that he might not get better means that I am against him? And me saying he "probably" will is code for me thinking he won't? Ok, sure. That makes sense.
No code, it just goes to show that you have a point to prove and that point isn't really about what is happening on Sunday or in practices. You're attached to your initial judgment and that is precisely what you are speaking to. The more of this particular type of posting goes to that point.

I will be honest and am definitely being an arm chair coach and looking at the situation not having as clear a picture as the coaching staff. I don't get to see them in practice, in the film room etc. I have taken my stance right from the start though that Flynn should be the "now" starter. So even though I don't get to see a clear picture, it is not out of the question to think the Seahawks may have made a mistake and that coaches can and often make wrong choices.In time it will play itself out one way or the other.

They lost a winnable game and quarterback play was one of the main reasons. No, he isn't getting benched. But it is fair to speculate what might have happened had another qb been playing. You seem to be taking criticism of Wilson sort of hard, which is bizarre. He did not play well. I'm sure he'd agree. There is nothing abnormal about commenting on that.
I thought you (eta: the original poster, didn't realize GH was this deep) were saying Flynn would have been the better play. Apologies. The criticism of Wilson in this thread has been limited in substance. That being the case, why do you mistakenly take looking at the facts as some great difficulty?

I thought you (eta: the original poster, didn't realize GH was this deep) were saying Flynn would have been the better play. Apologies. The criticism of Wilson in this thread has been limited in substance. That being the case, why do you mistakenly take looking at the facts as some great difficulty?
:confused: You lost me. He did not play well. Why is that so hard to stomach? He will have plenty of chances to imroive but today was not good. I don't have an agenda. I don't really care about the Seahawks and who their qb is at this point. I like young guys who play well. He didn't.

:confused: You lost me. He did not play well. Why is that so hard to stomach? He will have plenty of chances to imroive but today was not good. I don't have an agenda. I don't really care about the Seahawks and who their qb is at this point. I like young guys who play well. He didn't.
Do you ever stop and think how this type of shtick sounds coming from a staffer?

I am truly baffled. It isn't shtick. He didn't play well. It's not a great sin for a rookie to play poorly his first game. It happens to most rookies.

I'm not sure why it's striking a nerve with you that I point out that he played poorly.

Dallas next week, and then Green Bay the week after. Could be an 0 and 3 start starring the rookie in the face. That would set up a must win game agaisnt St. Louis in week 4.

Definitely a hault on the band wagon. As I have claimed from the start. Flynn should have started this season, and game. Wilson may end up being a starter in time, but I just dont think it was smart to start Wilson over Flynn.
Did you actually watch the game? Wilson was running for his life out there. Flynn would ahve been sacked at least 3 more times than Wilson was. The o-line is to blame for the loss and rushed throws. Wilson played well and if you go to any Seahawks board, they all echo that statement. They actually watched the game.

I am truly baffled. It isn't shtick. He didn't play well. It's not a great sin for a rookie to play poorly his first game. It happens to most rookies. I'm not sure why it's striking a nerve with you that I point out that he played poorly.
Shame it's not.

'cacksman said:
'Carter_Can_Fly said:
'Neofight said:
'Carter_Can_Fly said:

Did you actually watch the game? Wilson was running for his life out there. Flynn would ahve been sacked at least 3 more times than Wilson was. The o-line is to blame for the loss and rushed throws. Wilson played well and if you go to any Seahawks board, they all echo that statement. They actually watched the game.
I watched plenty of the game. There was some bad O line play for sure. Wilson did do a nice job at times of escaping some of that pressure. There were also times when that pressure was shown well before the snap. I am not sure if Wilson could have audibled, threw to a hot read etc.

The Cardinals were blizting a lot. They showed little respect for Wilson as they left man coverage outside often and there were so many opportunites for big plays in this game.

Wilson is more athletic than Flynn for sure, but there are other ways that QB's can avoid taking sacks. Carroll was defending Wilson's play and many of Wilson's fans will as well. However, at some point if this play continues (it was not very good) and the Seahawks continue to lose than Flynn has to be inserted to perhaps salvage the season.

'cacksman said:
'Carter_Can_Fly said:
'Neofight said:
'Carter_Can_Fly said:

I watched plenty of the game. There was some bad O line play for sure. Wilson did do a nice job at times of escaping some of that pressure. There were also times when that pressure was shown well before the snap. I am not sure if Wilson could have audibled, threw to a hot read etc.

The Cardinals were blizting a lot. They showed little respect for Wilson as they left man coverage outside often and there were so many opportunites for big plays in this game.

Wilson is more athletic than Flynn for sure, but there are other ways that QB's can avoid taking sacks. Carroll was defending Wilson's play and many of Wilson's fans will as well. However, at some point if this play continues (it was not very good) and the Seahawks continue to lose than Flynn has to be inserted to perhaps salvage the season.
:goodposting: Bad protection. Some bad throws. Plenty of dropped balls and coverage sacks despite Wilson getting to his 3rd/4th reads. Some play calling that left Seattle in obvious passing downs with mediocre at best WR play (even still, Seattle had 3 balls that should have been TD catches in that last drive). I think Seattle's conservatism (see wanting to protect Wilson and not ask him to do too much right away) left them predictable and Russell didn't get a lot of help with guys making plays on the receiving end. I think there is criticism to be handed out to EVERYONE, not just to Wilson and not everyone but him. If people were thinking Wilson was going to come in and have a top 5 QB performance this week then they believed too much hype and were greatly disappointed (and they look bad now). If anyone was expecting a complete flop on his face, you too were disappointed because that was far from a flop. Despite some average play overall, Wilson drove his team down and delivered the ball when and where it needed to be to win. Unfortunately though, he couldn't both pass AND catch his own pass.

As for Flynn not starting, I wonder how much of a choice Carrol had when it was all said and done. Sure, he's the coach...but he promised that the best performer would win the competition...Wilson won by a good margin. Not only did Wilson win the performance issue, but I think he hands down DESTROYED Flynn in the leadership department. The camera showed Wilson coaching up and encouraging his line during the game. Not yelling at them, but encouraging...and every one of the guys were shown slapping hands with Wilson. Sure you couldn't hear what he was saying, but it was clear that he was in the trenches firing his guys up. Wilson has influence and leadership in this team already that likely undercut Flynn's influence and would have left Flynn looking over his shoulder.

'cacksman said:
'Carter_Can_Fly said:
'Neofight said:
'Carter_Can_Fly said:

:goodposting: Bad protection. Some bad throws. Plenty of dropped balls and coverage sacks despite Wilson getting to his 3rd/4th reads. Some play calling that left Seattle in obvious passing downs with mediocre at best WR play (even still, Seattle had 3 balls that should have been TD catches in that last drive). I think Seattle's conservatism (see wanting to protect Wilson and not ask him to do too much right away) left them predictable and Russell didn't get a lot of help with guys making plays on the receiving end. I think there is criticism to be handed out to EVERYONE, not just to Wilson and not everyone but him. If people were thinking Wilson was going to come in and have a top 5 QB performance this week then they believed too much hype and were greatly disappointed (and they look bad now). If anyone was expecting a complete flop on his face, you too were disappointed because that was far from a flop. Despite some average play overall, Wilson drove his team down and delivered the ball when and where it needed to be to win. Unfortunately though, he couldn't both pass AND catch his own pass.

As for Flynn not starting, I wonder how much of a choice Carrol had when it was all said and done. Sure, he's the coach...but he promised that the best performer would win the competition...Wilson won by a good margin. Not only did Wilson win the performance issue, but I think he hands down DESTROYED Flynn in the leadership department. The camera showed Wilson coaching up and encouraging his line during the game. Not yelling at them, but encouraging...and every one of the guys were shown slapping hands with Wilson. Sure you couldn't hear what he was saying, but it was clear that he was in the trenches firing his guys up. Wilson has influence and leadership in this team already that likely undercut Flynn's influence and would have left Flynn looking over his shoulder.
This is exactly why I think you start with Flynn and ride him and see what you acquired in your off season investment. I don't know how likely it is/was to think Wilson comes in as a rookie and leads this team to a division title, and or playoff appearance/wildcard. This team was a qb away from being above average last year and making the playoffs. I just don't think it was reasonable to put Wilson in this situation so early. Flynn has been in the NFL for 4 years and faced real live NFL defenses in practice and in games. I know Wilson's resume is very good and he has had success however that is college. Wilson has a lot of potential and appears as though he could work his way to be a good starting QB if given time. I just don't think rushing him in was the correct play.

FYI----The Cardinals Defense gave up the 5th-fewest TD passes in 2011. An underrated group facing a rookie QB with 1 above average WR.

I tend to agree that it may have been wiser to let Flynn start the season and let Wilson develop without the pressure. But if you run things the way Carrol has you lose your leverage.

FYI----The Cardinals Defense gave up the 5th-fewest TD passes in 2011. An underrated group facing a rookie QB with 1 above average WR.

I tend to agree that it may have been wiser to let Flynn start the season and let Wilson develop without the pressure. But if you run things the way Carrol has you lose your leverage.
Losing games is the worst leverage there is, so if they don't start winning it won't matter what Carrol is telling his players. Carrol as the coach of Seattle has lost more games than he has won. It appears as though this team is in one of those stages where they are competitive and seem on the cusp of taking the next step to being a very good team. Time will tell if they do take that next step.The problem is in a win now type of league, you don't have a lot of room to have back to back to back sub par seasons which will be Carrol's situation if Seattle again is .500 or below.

I think Wilson did a good job, he could of won the games in the end if it wasn't for few drops. Not bad for a rookie.

Seahawks receivers however looked awful on top of the OL, therefore Wilson probably won't have a great rookie season.

Another amazing performance by Russell Wilson.

Russell Wilson: highest completion pct (75%) by a @Seahawks rookie in franchise history (min 20 attempts)

Another amazing performance by Russell Wilson.Russell Wilson: highest completion pct (75%) by a @Seahawks rookie in franchise history (min 20 attempts)
Efficent sure. But far from amazing here.Some might say a Flynn type of performance.
No worries, people always discount Wilson....but he just proves them wrong over and over again. You must have not watched the game. It was an almost flawless performance.

Another amazing performance by Russell Wilson.Russell Wilson: highest completion pct (75%) by a @Seahawks rookie in franchise history (min 20 attempts)
Efficent sure. But far from amazing here.Some might say a Flynn type of performance.
No worries, people always discount Wilson....but he just proves them wrong over and over again. You must have not watched the game. It was an almost flawless performance.
Where am I discounting him?He will get credit where and when it is due. Today Tavaris Jackson would have won that game for Seattle today.Wilson did what was asked of him today and did it well and they won. He has bought himself some more time.

Where am I discounting him?He will get credit where and when it is due. Today Tavaris Jackson would have won that game for Seattle today.Wilson did what was asked of him today and did it well and they won. He has bought himself some more time.
Bought more time? He's got the season unless he completely tanks. No sign of that in either game.

So your opinion hasn't changed since you wrote this:
I really don't see much difference in a guy like Colt McCoy vs Russell Wilson. Smaller QB's with 4 good years of college ball that will go on and have good careers as back ups and spot starters when called upon.
Or has it?

I really don't see much difference in a guy like Colt McCoy vs Russell Wilson. Smaller QB's with 4 good years of college ball that will go on and have good careers as back ups and spot starters when called upon.
Or has it?
:goodposting:

Or has it?
:goodposting:
Nope, I am not shying from my comment. I still don't think Wilson is a long term NFL starter.He got a chance earlier than McCoy did to try and prove he can be. McCoy failed with his attempt; we will see how Wilson fairs with his. He could prove me wrong. Anything is possible.

Nope, I am not shying from my comment.
:confused:You asked "Where am I discounting him?" and I pointed it out to you. I can't imagine that there's a single GM in the NFL that would want McCoy on their roster as opposed to Wilson.
I was referring about today's game. You brought up a convo from a long while ago. I said today he was efficient. He did what he had to and got the win. Many said Wilson is in as opposed to Flynn because he offers the big play factor. That big play factor has been sparce so far the first couple of games. He threw for 151 yards today I don't know how you associate that with an "amazing" game as some were saying on here.

The #Seahawks have had a quarterback throw at least 20 passes and complete 75% of them 19 times in 565 gms. Russell Wilson became the 20th. The only #Seahawks rooke to throw for a higher passer rating than RW with at least 10 pass attempts was Brock Huard in 2000.

The #Seahawks have had a quarterback throw at least 20 passes and complete 75% of them 19 times in 565 gms. Russell Wilson became the 20th. The only #Seahawks rooke to throw for a higher passer rating than RW with at least 10 pass attempts was Brock Huard in 2000.
I am a Wilson fan here, but all this seems to really indicate is that Seahawks QBs pretty much suck, in general. No offense.

Nope, I am not shying from my comment.
:confused:

You asked "Where am I discounting him?" and I pointed it out to you. I can't imagine that there's a single GM in the NFL that would want McCoy on their roster as opposed to Wilson.
I was referring about today's game. You brought up a convo from a long while ago. I said today he was efficient. He did what he had to and got the win. Many said Wilson is in as opposed to Flynn because he offers the big play factor. That big play factor has been sparce so far the first couple of games.

He threw for 151 yards today I don't know how you associate that with an "amazing" game as some were saying on here.
As one was saying today. One super homer that embarrasses the rest of us.

I am a Wilson fan here, but all this seems to really indicate is that Seahawks QBs pretty much suck, in general. No offense.
The Cowboys have had 3 rookie QBs in 52 years (787 gms) throw for a passer rating of 112 or higher against them. RW becomes the 4th. Big Ben was the latest.

'ImTheScientist said:
Thanks for that tidbit, Russell.

Users who are viewing this thread