What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (4 Viewers)

The #Seahawks have had a quarterback throw at least 20 passes and complete 75% of them 19 times in 565 gms. Russell Wilson became the 20th. The only #Seahawks rooke to throw for a higher passer rating than RW with at least 10 pass attempts was Brock Huard in 2000.
So you're saying he's no Brock Huard??

The #Seahawks have had a quarterback throw at least 20 passes and complete 75% of them 19 times in 565 gms. Russell Wilson became the 20th. The only #Seahawks rooke to throw for a higher passer rating than RW with at least 10 pass attempts was Brock Huard in 2000.
So you're saying he's no Brock Huard??
Is that what you read into that statistic?
LOL , I think leaving Brock Huard out of your statement would have made it more meaningful... you had me until I read Brock Huard... now I am lost in the Russell Wilson wilderness... cold and looking for shelter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilson has been average at best (yes I have watched both games). I don't know how any unbiased viewer of both games can think otherwise.

Wilson has been average at best (yes I have watched both games). I don't know how any unbiased viewer of both games can think otherwise.
Agreed, although I'm not sure what people are expecting. How many QBs come into the league as rookies and look dominant? Roethlisberger and Flacco game managed their rookie teams into the playoffs too. I guess they were all asked to do something specific with their teams in those years. Right now it's tough to say Wilson has been any worse than the PIT or BAL comparisons.
Code:
Roethlisberger's first two gamesComp    Att    Pct    Yds    Avg    TD    Int    Outcome12      20    60.0    176    8.8     2      2          L12      22    54.5    163    7.4     1      1          WFlacco's first two gamesComp    Att    Pct    Yds    Avg    TD    Int    Outcome15       29   51.7    129    4.4     0      0          W13       19   68.4    129    6.8     0      2          WWilson's first two gamesComp    Att    Pct    Yds    Avg    TD    Int    Outcome18       34   52.9    153    4.5     1      1          L15       20   75.0    151    7.6     1      0          W

Average at best implies he's played below average. I don't think that's true. He's played very solid, though unspectacular. He had no protection against AZ (who we saw to be a pretty darn good team yesterday) and he managed the game well against Dallas. I think he's performing well above average for what they've been asking of him. Stat wise he's a non factor but he had Seattle 1 play from 2-0, being in position for his nearly useless WRs to have a chance at at least 3 Passes to score the go ahead last week.

I don't blame anyone for keeping him after how great he was in the preseason. I still would have traded him off of all the hype before he played a NFL game.

Average at best implies he's played below average. I don't think that's true. He's played very solid, though unspectacular. He had no protection against AZ (who we saw to be a pretty darn good team yesterday) and he managed the game well against Dallas. I think he's performing well above average for what they've been asking of him. Stat wise he's a non factor but he had Seattle 1 play from 2-0, being in position for his nearly useless WRs to have a chance at at least 3 Passes to score the go ahead last week.
He has done what they have asked of him, but no more than any other average NFL starter would have done in the same situation. That is all that I was saying.

Looking forward to watching him in primetime, the numbers aren't there yet but that's part to do with the weapons around him, a conservative gameplan, and jumping out to a big lead over Dallas and hitting the breaks.

Looking forward to watching him in primetime, the numbers aren't there yet but that's part to do with the weapons around him, a conservative gameplan, and jumping out to a big lead over Dallas and hitting the breaks.
I don't think its so much the weapons, but I think you're 100% correct about the game plan. If the coaching staff has it their way they'll be very happy to win low scoring games not asking much from their quarterback.Seattle forumla =

1. Stop the run on defense.

2. Create turnovers after forcing teams into passing situations.

3. Play great special teams.

4. Run the ball on offense.

5. Possess the ball as much as possible.

If executed well the formula won't lead to good fantasy numbers for Wilson. Again, IF the team is successful I think we're looking at numbers reminiscent of Troy Aikman (but without the extra bit of rushing yards).

I don't think its so much the weapons, but I think you're 100% correct about the game plan. If the coaching staff has it their way they'll be very happy to win low scoring games not asking much from their quarterback.Seattle forumla =

1. Stop the run on defense.

2. Create turnovers after forcing teams into passing situations.

3. Play great special teams.

4. Run the ball on offense.

5. Possess the ball as much as possible.

If executed well the formula won't lead to good fantasy numbers for Wilson. Again, IF the team is successful I think we're looking at numbers reminiscent of Troy Aikman (but without the extra bit of rushing yards).
I do think as the season goes you will see his numbers go up. He will probably only be around 25-30 passes a game though regardless. The defense is really good so I don't think they will be in too many shootouts this year...but it would be interesting to see them get into one just once this year.

I do think as the season goes you will see his numbers go up. He will probably only be around 25-30 passes a game though regardless. The defense is really good so I don't think they will be in too many shootouts this year...but it would be interesting to see them get into one just once this year.
I'm very impressed with the way Schneider and Carroll have stuck to "the plan". However, this team isn't built for a shootout. I think they get throttled if they give up too many points. Also, their formula for success is predicated on not making mistakes (turnovers). IMO their plan for success is susceptible to the smallest of errors, more so than other teams. The 49ers are built this way too. Very similar team structures in terms of personnel and game planning. Should make for some serious blood-bath games in the near future. I would expect the overall violence-level to stay ratcheted up in the NFC West for a while.

Wilson is not ready to be starting yet.It is quite apparent, and it is becoming more evident as time goes on.
The coaching staff only called something like 12 passing plays prior to the last two drives when they were down by 5. Are you suggesting that is evidence that he isn't ready, causing the coaching staff to take the ball out of his hands? Otherwise, what are you basing this on?

im starting him this week so lets see what happens. hes playing stl and they arent the best team in the world so im hoping for at least 12 points from him... uyat do you guys think. this is a weekly salary league. not a year long league btw

Matt Williamson has an ESPN Insider look at Russell Wilson so far. Not going to cut and paste the whole thing, but his key points.

Seahawks strategy is play defense and run the ball, so Wilson is being sheltered compared to other QBs. He thinks Wilson is at his best from the shotgun up tempo, but we only see that at the end of games if they are scrambling for points. He's high on Wilson becoming a legitimate NFL starting QB.

He said comparing him to RG3, that Shanahan is doing a much better job than Carroll of playing to his QB's strengths. On the downside for Wilson is a large number of presnap penalties.

It wasn't really detailed, just a few paragraphs, but figured I'd share for what it's worth.

Wilson is not ready to be starting yet.

It is quite apparent, and it is becoming more evident as time goes on.
The coaching staff only called something like 12 passing plays prior to the last two drives when they were down by 5. Are you suggesting that is evidence that he isn't ready, causing the coaching staff to take the ball out of his hands? Otherwise, what are you basing this on?
This is exactly it. The Seahawks don't trust Wilson to do much at this stage judging from the conservative play calling and the fact we are entering week 4 of the regular season and he has yet to surpass 153 yards passing. This is a team that was a QB away last year from being playoff bound and this year with adept QB play should be in the playoff. They correctly should be sitting at 1 and 2 sub .500 even though their defense is playing better than anyone in the NFL.

This is exactly it. The Seahawks don't trust Wilson to do much at this stage judging from the conservative play calling and the fact we are entering week 4 of the regular season and he has yet to surpass 153 yards passing. This is a team that was a QB away last year from being playoff bound and this year with adept QB play should be in the playoff. They correctly should be sitting at 1 and 2 sub .500 even though their defense is playing better than anyone in the NFL.
Their style isn't a passing game. It's ball control on offense, stop the run and force a pass to our secondary. It's designed to eat clock and wear down the opposing defense with brute force. Yeah, maybe they're trying to protect him a little too much, but it's not because he's not capable, it's because we don't necessarily need him to sling it. We could have Tom Brady back there and he's still only passing for 200 yards in this offense.

What does "They correctly should be sitting at 1 and 2 sub .500" mean? If Braylon Edwards had two hands they'd be 3 and 0... which has as little valuable meaning as what you typed. The fact is they stand at two and one having faced a pretty tough schedule, with Wilson performing his best down the stretch. He's pulling a reverse Romo thus far- He has proven to be calm and cool under pressure and isn't making big mistakes. That's all Carroll wants from him for now as he learns how to be a professional QB. He's right on schedule; Carroll's schedule.

Matt Williamson has an ESPN Insider look at Russell Wilson so far. Not going to cut and paste the whole thing, but his key points.Seahawks strategy is play defense and run the ball, so Wilson is being sheltered compared to other QBs. He thinks Wilson is at his best from the shotgun up tempo, but we only see that at the end of games if they are scrambling for points. He's high on Wilson becoming a legitimate NFL starting QB.He said comparing him to RG3, that Shanahan is doing a much better job than Carroll of playing to his QB's strengths. On the downside for Wilson is a large number of presnap penalties.It wasn't really detailed, just a few paragraphs, but figured I'd share for what it's worth.
great info! He will be used more as the season goes along. He's always learning and always on the quest for knowlege.

What does "They correctly should be sitting at 1 and 2 sub .500" mean? If Braylon Edwards had two hands they'd be 3 and 0... which has as little valuable meaning as what you typed. The fact is they stand at two and one having faced a pretty tough schedule, with Wilson performing his best down the stretch. He's pulling a reverse Romo thus far- He has proven to be calm and cool under pressure and isn't making big mistakes. That's all Carroll wants from him for now as he learns how to be a professional QB. He's right on schedule; Carroll's schedule.
Yes this is just it. He is learning to be a professional QB. He is not as yet prepared or ready to be starting. Heck he called the wrong play on the final play of the game winning drive against the Packers. He was not cool and collective at all against the Packers, not only did he call the wrong play, he also threw 2 int's in that last series.

His play has been below average in all 3 games. You can call it baby steps, being on a leash, but to me it is apparent he is not yet ready to be a starting NFL qb.

People don't need to take offense to that. There are plenty of young QB's that are not ready and it makes sense that they are starting. In Seattle Wilson may end up being better than Flynn as a long term viable option (although I question it). But right now Flynn makes most sense to me.

In today's NFL it is almost impossibe as a starting QB to play three games in a row and throw for less than 153 yards in all 3 of them.

It is even more impossible to do that and win 2 of those games.

People love underdog stories. I think this move of inserting Wilson into the starting role so early in his underdog story is a big mistake. The Seahawks have managed to start 2 and 1 but if Wilson's play does not step up sooner than later there will be plenty of questions and people not involved in the Wilson story wanting to see what Flynn can do.

I don't own Flynn nor do I own Wilson. Just looking at this situation objectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes this is just it. He is learning to be a professional QB. He is not as yet prepared or ready to be starting. Heck he called the wrong play on the final play of the game winning drive against the Packers. He was not cool and collective at all against the Packers, not only did he call the wrong play, he also threw 2 int's in that last series.

His play has been below average in all 3 games. You can call it baby steps, being on a leash, but to me it is apparent he is not yet ready to be a starting NFL qb.

People don't need to take offense to that. There are plenty of young QB's that are not ready and it makes sense that they are starting. In Seattle Wilson may end up being better than Flynn as a long term viable option (although I question it). But right now Flynn makes most sense to me.

In today's NFL it is almost impossibe as a starting QB to play three games in a row and throw for less than 153 yards in all 3 of them.

It is even more impossible to do that and win 2 of those games.

People love underdog stories. I think this move of inserting Wilson into the starting role so early in his underdog story is a big mistake. The Seahawks have managed to start 2 and 1 but if Wilson's play does not step up sooner than later there will be plenty of questions and people not involved in the Wilson story wanting to see what Flynn can do.

I don't own Flynn nor do I own Wilson. Just looking at this situation objectively.
Too me it's the play calling. They are too conservative with Wilson. Against Green Bay they would run on 1st and 2nd down and pass on 3rd. Way too predictable and way too conservative. And when they did pass I don't understand why they take Lynch out of the backfield. They had a number of 3rd and shorts (a distant Lynch could easily convert) that game and yet went empty backfield.

I came in here hoping to find a shred of rationale why a guy who has 18 pages of comments but hasn't yet thrown for >200 yds would have the least bit of value in redraft. I found none. Plus he faces the AZ and SF defenses in Wks 14 and 16.

Can we please give up on Wilson for 2012 and give Flynn a shot? Lynch is doing well with no QB, but I think he'd do better with a passing threat. (Lynch owner)

amazing how quick things turn. that division is loaded with defenses - best in football by far (and i don't simply think its a product of the meh offenses in it either)

Users who are viewing this thread