What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (4 Viewers)

The people in here are talking like he's a top 5 QB right now. How do you expect the non Seahawks fans to take that serious?

I'd rather the people in here back up some of their claims with some stats
Here you go:

1. NFL ROY in 2012.
  2. Made the Pro Bowl in first two seasons. Other QBs to make the last 2 Pro Bowls: Brady, Brees, Luck, Peyton. That's pretty good company. Also, how many QBs have made the Pro Bowl in their first two seasons? I don't know the answer, but I expect it is pretty select company.
  3. Approximate Value: Wilson was tied for #5 in 2012 and tied for #3 in 2013.
  4. Passer Rating: Wilson was #4 in 2012 and #7 in 2013.
  5. Passing TDs: Wilson was #9 in both 2012 and 2013. But that was on low attempts. He was #2 in 2012 and #3 in 2013 in passing TD percentage.
  6. YPA: Wilson was #4 in both 2012 and 2013.
  7. YPC: Wilson was #5 in 2012 and #3 in 2013.
  8. AY/A: Wilson was #6 in 2012 and #5 in 2013.
  9. Game winning drives: Wilson had 5 in both 2012 and 2013. That ranked him #3 in 2012 and #1 in 2013.
  10. Comebacks: Wilson had 4 in both 2012 and 2013. That ranked him #3 in 2012 and #2 in 2013.
  11. PFF QB ratings: Wilson was the #6 overall QB in 2012 and #4 overall QB in 2013. He ranked #8 in both years for passing only and #2 in both years for running only.
  12. PFF QB Rating (accounts for throwaways, spikes, and drops): Wilson was #4 in 2012 and #5 in 2013.
  13. PFF QB Deep Passing (attempts 20+ yards downfield, accounts for drops): Wilson was #5 in 2012 and #1 in 2013.
  14. Record: 24-8 regular season, 4-1 postseason. How many QBs have started their careers better? Again, select company.
  15. Postseason performance: 2 comebacks and 2 game winning drives in 5 games; 102 passer rating is better than his 100.6 regular season passer rating; 6 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, 1 interception; 1 Super Bowl championship.
Wilson accomplished all of these things despite the following:

• Starting from day one as a rookie; he is still just 25.
  • Below average receiving corps (Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Miller, et al.).
  • Below average OL, which led to Wilson being under pressure on his dropbacks more than any other QB in 2013 and more than all but Vick in 2012.
Thanks! Appreciate the #'s instead of just being a crazed fan that just spews out garbage.

My opinion doesn't change though. I think he's a good QB in a perfect situation. I think a lot of his numbers are helped by the fact that teams are worried about stopping the run first. The top QBs in the league are outperforming him even though defenses are keying on stopping them. I came in here initially because I liked him. I drafted him in a startup less than a month ago. Traded him shortly after, but the fact that I drafted him shows that I don't dislike him.

My hate of the Seahawks fanboyism in this thread made it come across like I'm a doubter of Wilson. I'm not a Wilson hater or doubter. I'm just against fanboys of any team. There is no way Wilson is better than Drew Brees. I understand that fanboys for the Seahawks will be bigger than ever now coming off of a super bowl. There always are.

I wish there was a Russell Wilson Bandwagon thread and a separate Seattle Seahawks Bandwagon thread so that this thread could actually discuss Russell Wilson and how it relates to fantasy football.
I think he's a QB in a situation. Thinking that situation is perfect (or merely perfect for him) might simply reflect your bias in terms of what you think Wilson is, can be or can't be. It's been stated that his o-line and receiving corp are hardly a "dream team". I don't think that's perfect.

I have no idea if Wilson can be a pocket passer putting up a bazillion yards and points but I don't know he can't either.
:goodposting:

Wilson has excelled at everything he has ever been asked to do in football, both in the NFL and in two separate major college conferences. There is no reason to doubt that he will play very well when Seattle inevitably needs more from their passing game to win.

The people in here are talking like he's a top 5 QB right now. How do you expect the non Seahawks fans to take that serious?

Here you go:

• NFL ROY in 2012.
  • Made the Pro Bowl in first two seasons. Other QBs to make the last 2 Pro Bowls: Brady, Brees, Luck, Peyton. That's pretty good company. Also, how many QBs have made the Pro Bowl in their first two seasons? I don't know the answer, but I expect it is pretty select company.
  • Approximate Value: Wilson was tied for #5 in 2012 and tied for #3 in 2013.
  • Passer Rating: Wilson was #4 in 2012 and #7 in 2013.
  • Passing TDs: Wilson was #9 in both 2012 and 2013. But that was on low attempts. He was #2 in 2012 and #3 in 2013 in passing TD percentage.
  • YPA: Wilson was #4 in both 2012 and 2013.
  • YPC: Wilson was #5 in 2012 and #3 in 2013.
  • AY/A: Wilson was #6 in 2012 and #5 in 2013.
  • Game winning drives: Wilson had 5 in both 2012 and 2013. That ranked him #3 in 2012 and #1 in 2013.
  • Comebacks: Wilson had 4 in both 2012 and 2013. That ranked him #3 in 2012 and #2 in 2013.
  • PFF QB ratings: Wilson was the #6 overall QB in 2012 and #4 overall QB in 2013. He ranked #8 in both years for passing only and #2 in both years for running only.
  • PFF QB Rating (accounts for throwaways, spikes, and drops): Wilson was #4 in 2012 and #5 in 2013.
  • PFF QB Deep Passing (attempts 20+ yards downfield, accounts for drops): Wilson was #5 in 2012 and #1 in 2013.
  • Record: 24-8 regular season, 4-1 postseason. How many QBs have started their careers better? Again, select company.
  • Postseason performance: 2 comebacks and 2 game winning drives in 5 games; 102 passer rating is better than his 100.6 regular season passer rating; 6 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, 1 interception; 1 Super Bowl championship.

• Below average OL, which led to Wilson being under pressure on his dropbacks more than any other QB in 2013 and more than all but Vick in 2012.
Thanks! Appreciate the #'s instead of just being a crazed fan that just spews out garbage.

My opinion doesn't change though. I think he's a good QB in a perfect situation. I think a lot of his numbers are helped by the fact that teams are worried about stopping the run first. The top QBs in the league are outperforming him even though defenses are keying on stopping them. I came in here initially because I liked him. I drafted him in a startup less than a month ago. Traded him shortly after, but the fact that I drafted him shows that I don't dislike him.

My hate of the Seahawks fanboyism in this thread made it come across like I'm a doubter of Wilson. I'm not a Wilson hater or doubter. I'm just against fanboys of any team. There is no way Wilson is better than Drew Brees. I understand that fanboys for the Seahawks will be bigger than ever now coming off of a super bowl. There always are.

I wish there was a Russell Wilson Bandwagon thread and a separate Seattle Seahawks Bandwagon thread so that this thread could actually discuss Russell Wilson and how it relates to fantasy football.
I think he's a QB in a situation. Thinking that situation is perfect (or merely perfect for him) might simply reflect your bias in terms of what you think Wilson is, can be or can't be. It's been stated that his o-line and receiving corp are hardly a "dream team". I don't think that's perfect.

I have no idea if Wilson can be a pocket passer putting up a bazillion yards and points but I don't know he can't either.
Agree totally that his WRs and o-line have been pretty far from perfect. I've also long been a buyer on all of Wilson, Harvin, Baldwin, Wilson etc, all of the various parts of the Seattle passing game. Due to the nature of the NFL, it's going to be pretty tough to keep that defense 100% intact moving forward, and Wilson certainly looks good enough to thrive if and when they open things up and step on the gas. That said, IMO he's far more likely to eventually jump from the low 3000s to the low/mid 4000s in passing yardage with low 30s TDs vs the huge and radical leap into the 5000+ / 40+ on over 650 attempts type range occupied by the true elites. That's a lot to ask from any player, and depends as much on system and surrounding talent as it does on the player himself.

Let's not forget that while the Seahawks were top 10 in rushing last year, Wilson was a key reason why. Take away his rushing yards last year and the Seahawks finish in the bottom 3rd in rushing.

Here you go:

• NFL ROY in 2012.
  • Made the Pro Bowl in first two seasons. Other QBs to make the last 2 Pro Bowls: Brady, Brees, Luck, Peyton. That's pretty good company. Also, how many QBs have made the Pro Bowl in their first two seasons? I don't know the answer, but I expect it is pretty select company.
  • Approximate Value: Wilson was tied for #5 in 2012 and tied for #3 in 2013.
  • Passer Rating: Wilson was #4 in 2012 and #7 in 2013.
  • Passing TDs: Wilson was #9 in both 2012 and 2013. But that was on low attempts. He was #2 in 2012 and #3 in 2013 in passing TD percentage.
  • YPA: Wilson was #4 in both 2012 and 2013.
  • YPC: Wilson was #5 in 2012 and #3 in 2013.
  • AY/A: Wilson was #6 in 2012 and #5 in 2013.
  • Game winning drives: Wilson had 5 in both 2012 and 2013. That ranked him #3 in 2012 and #1 in 2013.
  • Comebacks: Wilson had 4 in both 2012 and 2013. That ranked him #3 in 2012 and #2 in 2013.
  • PFF QB ratings: Wilson was the #6 overall QB in 2012 and #4 overall QB in 2013. He ranked #8 in both years for passing only and #2 in both years for running only.
  • PFF QB Rating (accounts for throwaways, spikes, and drops): Wilson was #4 in 2012 and #5 in 2013.
  • PFF QB Deep Passing (attempts 20+ yards downfield, accounts for drops): Wilson was #5 in 2012 and #1 in 2013.
  • Record: 24-8 regular season, 4-1 postseason. How many QBs have started their careers better? Again, select company.
  • Postseason performance: 2 comebacks and 2 game winning drives in 5 games; 102 passer rating is better than his 100.6 regular season passer rating; 6 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, 1 interception; 1 Super Bowl championship.

:goodposting:

Wilson has excelled at everything he has ever been asked to do in football, both in the NFL and in two separate major college conferences. There is no reason to doubt that he will play very well when Seattle inevitably needs more from their passing game to win.
Absolutely agree. But still, very well =/= best #s ever, regarding the Brees comp. I've said the same thing to people banging the FF drum for Luck BTW. We're lucky enough to be currently in an era where we get to watch four of the top QBs ever play every week, and they're pretty much all in hugely pass heavy offenses for the most part. Those guys have set the bar EXTREMELY high and it's probably pretty unrealistic to expect ANY of the current young crop to reach those levels.

I could see an argument being made that Wilson could be considered up near the top if we take Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers out of the equation. I think there still are guys I like more at that point but at least the argument could be made.

Some people in here need to keep in mind that this is a fantasy football forum and not a Seahawks pep-rally. The Super Bowl high should have worn off by now and let's be honest, some of you didn't care about the Seahawks a year ago anyways.

I could see an argument being made that Wilson could be considered up near the top if we take Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers out of the equation. I think there still are guys I like more at that point but at least the argument could be made.

Some people in here need to keep in mind that this is a fantasy football forum and not a Seahawks pep-rally. The Super Bowl high should have worn off by now and let's be honest, some of you didn't care about the Seahawks a year ago anyways.
NFL players voted him number 20 in the NFL top 100 players. Are they biased? I love that everything points towards you being wrong yet you insist on trying to win the internet. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

NFL players voted him number 20 in the NFL top 100 players. Are they biased? I love that everything points towards you being wrong yet you insist on trying to win the internet. :lmao:
So your contention is that Wilson is as good a QB, right now, as Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers? You give the rest of the Seattle fans on here a bad name, guy.

So your contention is that Wilson is as good a QB, right now, as Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers? You give the rest of the Seattle fans on here a bad name, guy.
My contention was he is the best young QB in the game....read up a few posts kid. The QBs you listed .... are they young? If I had to choose one QB for my franchise today and into the future I would pick Wilson above those guys fwiw. He has many more years of life then they do.

Now on to responding to the words you put in my mouth.......Do I think he is as good as those QBs listed? I would say he is right there with them. He isn't asked to do what they do but then again they are not asked to do what Wilson does. I think Rodgers could come close to doing what Wilson does but the other 3 would get killed back there.

Funny you mention that group..... Wilson is 5-0 against that group with a super bowl victory against one. :shrug: :thanks:

My contention was he is the best young QB in the game....read up a few posts kid. The QBs you listed .... are they young? If I had to choose one QB for my franchise today and into the future I would pick Wilson above those guys fwiw. He has many more years of life then they do.

Do I think he is as good as those QBs listed? I would say he is right there with them. He isn't asked to do what they do but then again they are not asked to do what Wilson does.

Funny you mention that group..... Wilson is 5-0 against that group with a super bowl victory against one. :shrug:
So even though he isn't asked to do what those guys have done and hasn't done anything near what those guys have done, you still have him ranked up there with them? There are a lot of QBs that also haven't done those things, are they near the top as well?

You say that Wilson is 5-0 against that group of QBs but also say that the Seahawks don't rely on Wilson to carry the team. If it's a knock on Wilson's stats, you say it's because the Seahawks don't need him to do any more than that. If it's wins and super bowls, you give him all the credit. So which one is it?

My opinion is that Wilson is being used as a game manager. I don't know how good he could be if he was put in a situation where they needed him to be the playmaker. Wilson is a part (small part in my mind) to a team that won a super bowl. When a non Seahawks fans thinks of the Seahawks the first thing that comes to mind is defense or possibly Lynch. When you say Broncos, Saints, or Packers, what is the first name that comes to your mind?

Please stop making me hate Seahawks fans. I don't like to judge a whole group of people on just a select few, but those select few are so awful it makes it hard not to.

Do I think he is as good as those QBs listed? I would say he is right there with them. He isn't asked to do what they do but then again they are not asked to do what Wilson does.

Funny you mention that group..... Wilson is 5-0 against that group with a super bowl victory against one. :shrug:
So even though he isn't asked to do what those guys have done and hasn't done anything near what those guys have done, you still have him ranked up there with them? There are a lot of QBs that also haven't done those things, are they near the top as well? Yes, do you have Steven Jackson ranked above Eddie Lacey.... Jackson has done wayyyyy more.....at this point in their careers I would prefer Lacey over Jackson (for example)

You say that Wilson is 5-0 against that group of QBs but also say that the Seahawks don't rely on Wilson to carry the team. If it's a knock on Wilson's stats, you say it's because the Seahawks don't need him to do any more than that. If it's wins and super bowls, you give him all the credit. So which one is it? First, I didn't say that what is underlined. Second, its not black or white, stats or super bowl. Wouldn't you agree QBs are judged on the total package, super bowl, win percentage, stats, wins head to head against other QBs?

My opinion is that Wilson is being used as a game manager. I don't know how good he could be if he was put in a situation where they needed him to be the playmaker. Wilson is a part (small part in my mind) to a team that won a super bowl. When a non Seahawks fans thinks of the Seahawks the first thing that comes to mind is defense or possibly Lynch. When you say Broncos, Saints, or Packers, what is the first name that comes to your mind? I don't agree with any of your opinion. RE: Non seahawk fans comment.....Do you know which player leads the NFL in jersey sales? RE: Game Manager/Playmaker .... you clearly don't watch the Seahawks or know what Pete Carrol asks of him.

Please stop making me hate Seahawks fans. I don't like to judge a whole group of people on just a select few, but those select few are so awful it makes it hard not to.

Is that meant to be an insult? If so you are wasting your words and need a little creativity in your troll attempt. If its serious and not a troll I feel honored to have such an impact on you....
Responses above.

So even though he isn't asked to do what those guys have done and hasn't done anything near what those guys have done, you still have him ranked up there with them? There are a lot of QBs that also haven't done those things, are they near the top as well?

You say that Wilson is 5-0 against that group of QBs but also say that the Seahawks don't rely on Wilson to carry the team. If it's a knock on Wilson's stats, you say it's because the Seahawks don't need him to do any more than that. If it's wins and super bowls, you give him all the credit. So which one is it?

My opinion is that Wilson is being used as a game manager. I don't know how good he could be if he was put in a situation where they needed him to be the playmaker. Wilson is a part (small part in my mind) to a team that won a super bowl. When a non Seahawks fans thinks of the Seahawks the first thing that comes to mind is defense or possibly Lynch. When you say Broncos, Saints, or Packers, what is the first name that comes to your mind?

"The most interesting piece though, I think, is from Mike Sando at ESPN.com (insider). For it, Sando "asked 26 league insiders to grade every projected starting quarterback on a 1-5 scale, with 'one' reserved for the best and 'five' for the worst. Eight general managers, two former GMs, four pro personnel evaluators, seven coordinators, two head coaches, two position coaches and a top executive participated."

"Tier One was comprised of exactly who you'd think it would be: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers *cough* and Andrew Luck. Wait, what was that last one you tried to sneak in? Andrew Luck? More from Sando on that later, but more importantly, where does Russell Wilson figure into all of this? Eight. Eighth. Tied for Eighth. That's where. Oh, and in Tier Two."

So even though he isn't asked to do what those guys have done and hasn't done anything near what those guys have done, you still have him ranked up there with them? There are a lot of QBs that also haven't done those things, are they near the top as well? Yes, do you have Steven Jackson ranked above Eddie Lacey.... Jackson has done wayyyyy more.....at this point in their careers I would prefer Lacey over Jackson (for example)

I don't understand what you're getting at? Of course I'd rather have Lacy now. He's a better player than SJax. I'd also not put Wilson in that top tier of QBs right now. Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Manning are better than him. I'm not saying they were. They are.

You say that Wilson is 5-0 against that group of QBs but also say that the Seahawks don't rely on Wilson to carry the team. If it's a knock on Wilson's stats, you say it's because the Seahawks don't need him to do any more than that. If it's wins and super bowls, you give him all the credit. So which one is it? First, I didn't say that what is underlined. Second, its not black or white, stats or super bowl. Wouldn't you agree QBs are judged on the total package, super bowl, win percentage, stats, wins head to head against other QBs? You obviously must weigh the wins and total package more than you value the individual stats. No, I don't factor in head to head against other QBs. QBs dont play against other QBs. They play against defenses. The Seahawks happened to have the best defense. The defense stopped those other QBs, not Wilson. Wilson didn't go out and throw for 400 yards and 5 TD's in those games against those teams, did he?

My opinion is that Wilson is being used as a game manager. I don't know how good he could be if he was put in a situation where they needed him to be the playmaker. Wilson is a part (small part in my mind) to a team that won a super bowl. When a non Seahawks fans thinks of the Seahawks the first thing that comes to mind is defense or possibly Lynch. When you say Broncos, Saints, or Packers, what is the first name that comes to your mind? I don't agree with any of your opinion. RE: Non seahawk fans comment.....Do you know which player leads the NFL in jersey sales? RE: Game Manager/Playmaker .... you clearly don't watch the Seahawks or know what Pete Carrol asks of him.

Who cares about jersey sales? That only proves my bandwagon statement point even more.

Is that meant to be an insult? If so you are wasting your words and need a little creativity in your troll attempt. If its serious and not a troll I feel honored to have such an impact on you....

I'm the troll? Haha. There's a reason that everybody hates all of your posts all over this forum. All you do is talk about how you like the Seahawks. It's obnoxious. You've heard it many times before, but I'll say it again. You give the real Seahawks fans a really bad name.
Responses above.
Ditto.

Why is it just accepted that Brady is still elite? His numbers in 2013 didn't measure up to Wilson's, and it's not unreasonable to assume that the quarterbacks are currently on different trajectories of their career arcs. If you were an NFL GM, why would you prefer Brady as your QB in 2014 instead of Wilson?

I am a fan of Wilson's, please dissuade me of my fanboyism.

Thanks.

Why is it just accepted that Brady is still elite? His numbers in 2013 didn't measure up to Wilson's, and it's not unreasonable to assume that the quarterbacks are currently on different trajectories of their career arcs. If you were an NFL GM, why would you prefer Brady as your QB in 2014 instead of Wilson?

Thanks.
Brady has earned the benefit of the doubt to be given a pass on one down year during which he basically had to deal with a perfect storm of crap re: the offensive skill players around him IMO. If he has another bad (by his lofty standards, anyway) year in 2014, I'll be far more inclined to believe that he's declined.

Thanks.
Brady has earned the benefit of the doubt to be given a pass on one down year during which he basically had to deal with a perfect storm of crap re: the offensive skill players around him IMO. If he has another bad (by his lofty standards, anyway) year in 2014, I'll be far more inclined to believe that he's declined.
I respect Brady, and certainly he had to deal with some unforeseen changes to his offensive personnel, but do you then give Wilson a little nod for losing his top 2 receivers and working behind a backup/hobbled oline and making those deficiencies appear negligible?

Thanks.
I respect Brady, and certainly he had to deal with some unforeseen changes to his offensive personnel, but do you then give Wilson a little nod for losing his top 2 receivers and working behind a backup/hobbled oline and making those deficiencies appear negligible?
As stated above, I love Wilson, and yes, he was great last year. But I'm not ready to say he's as good as Brady yet. Brady basically lost his entire receiving corps, and was still pretty respectable despite being asked to throw 628 times to a rotating cast of rookies and career special teamers. Wilson was great last year, but Seattle wins games with ball control and defense. I'd prefer Wilson long term obviously, in both FF and in the NFL, but given neutral surrounding casts, I'd still take Tom Brady to win one game in 2014. That's absolutely no knock on Wilson; Tom Brady is one of the best QBs ever to lace up a pair of cleats. The only guy even remotely arguable two years in would be Dan Marino IMO.

Thanks.
As stated above, I love Wilson, and yes, he was great last year. But I'm not ready to say he's as good as Brady yet. Brady basically lost his entire receiving corps, and was still pretty respectable despite being asked to throw 628 times to a rotating cast of rookies and career special teamers. Wilson was great last year, but Seattle wins games with ball control and defense. I'd prefer Wilson long term obviously, in both FF and in the NFL, but given neutral surrounding casts, I'd still take Tom Brady to win one game in 2014. That's absolutely no knock on Wilson; Tom Brady is one of the best QBs ever to lace up a pair of cleats. The only guy even remotely arguable two years in would be Dan Marino IMO.
Wilson is remotely arguable in his first two years, and this assumes of course that you don't count 2000 as Brady's first season.

By which measure do you see Brady's first two seasons superior to Wilson's?

Thanks.
Wilson is remotely arguable in his first two years, and this assumes of course that you don't count 2000 as Brady's first season.By which measure do you see Brady's first two seasons superior to Wilson's?
I'm arguing current Brady vs current Wilson in response to those putting him in the top tier already.

cstu said:
Sabertooth said:
proninja said:
Yeah, a single 24-yard pass is seriously gonna alter the YPA of a QB who threw nearly 400 yards passes that season. :lmao:
Two playoff losses since and he still cares about that regular season call from 2012, huh? You'd think they'd be more upset about their more recent failures.
Not really. They are going to win the Super Bowl this year. Everything else is in the past. I think on paper so far, nobody can hang with the Packers. Not even the Seahawks.
Ha Ha is going to fix their defense? Ha Ha.
I see what you did there. But in reality since winning the Super Bowl no team has been as injured as the Packers. If the odds level out for them, they are still the best team in the NFL.

CapnJB said:
Sabertooth said:
proninja said:
Yeah, a single 24-yard pass is seriously gonna alter the YPA of a QB who threw nearly 400 yards passes that season. :lmao:
Two playoff losses since and he still cares about that regular season call from 2012, huh? You'd think they'd be more upset about their more recent failures.
Not really. They are going to win the Super Bowl this year. Everything else is in the past. I think on paper so far, nobody can hang with the Packers. Not even the Seahawks.
Umm... it's supposed to go, 'The past is in the past' then you throw off your cloak and build an ice castle. Week one should answer a lot of questions :)
Took me a minute but I got this one. Lol.

A Seahawks pep rally? So, talking up a great player means it is a pep rally? Let's be serious. Hell, I am a Broncos fan, so I don't have much love for the Seahawks in light of what happened at the Super Bowl, but I have to call it like I see it: Russell Wilson is a great quarterback. Not top 4 yet, but he's in that next tier.

And just ignore ImTheScientist. Most know that he is just a ##### looking to get a rise out of people. Don't take the bait.

Kree said:
I don't follow Casserly closely, so I don't know how reliable he is, but his excerpt doesn't inspire much faith. Flacco, Eli, and Stafford over Wilson? Yikes.
I've tended to enjoy half of the articles I've read of his (Which is decent for an nfl.com columnist).

But I struggle to see what Foles has really put on the board over Wilson.

People act like Seattle have an all-world oline and receiving corp as well........
NFL record 7 TD game? Better TD%, better INT%, better offense? RW is terrific, absolutely, but he's been limited in his actual production (like 79 yards pass until the late 4th quarter vs NO for instance...). But Foles has put more "on the board."
In an incredibly QB friendly system...

I like Foles a lot, and even though I just classified it s a QB-friendly system, he' would be a talented player anywhere. But lets not talk down Wilson's output and ranking based on 'friendly systems' (Which still has an average/below average Oline and had no receivers to speak of) and then talk up Foles for short term production that hasn't led to anything of note in a system designed to churn out yards with most anyone behind centre.
As usual there is confusion about whether the discussion is about FF and sheer numbers, or efficiency numbers like YPA (which Foles led by a good margin too btw), or actual sheer innate talent, big play ability and leadership.

I'd love to see Wilson in a fun, stats churning offense (preferably in the AFC somewhere), but that's not his situation.

Russell was #9 in my PPR league. Right behind Roethlisberger, who has more rings and got one at a younger age. I think that's a reasonable expectation for Russell moving forward. Some good years, some not so good, lots of wins and probably another ring at some point.

Russell was #9 in my PPR league. Right behind Roethlisberger, who has more rings and got one at a younger age. I think that's a reasonable expectation for Russell moving forward. Some good years, some not so good, lots of wins and probably another ring at some point.
What do you base this expectation on?

My hate of the Seahawks fanboyism in this thread made it come across like I'm a doubter of Wilson.
Seahawks fanboyism? Your opinion would carry a lot more weight if you would direct statements like this at single posters instead of generalizing it towards the entire Seattle fanbase. Be specific, please. No one posters speaks for all Seattle fans.

The Super Bowl high should have worn off by now and let's be honest, some of you didn't care about the Seahawks a year ago anyways.
Again, who are you directing this towards? The Seattle fans that post here are few. There's not many of us, and the few us have been posting here for a long time.

Seriously, you seem like a guy that just wants to pick an iFight. Why bother building up all the strawman arguments?

Both have great but not elite tools. Both have had success care taking offenses to Super Bowls, both have limitations, but have had great early success despite them.

Both have great but not elite tools. Both have had success care taking offenses to Super Bowls, both have limitations.
IMO expecting "more than Roethlisberger" out of any young QB is a sucker bet. Ben suffers in comparison to the big four, but in any other era he's one of the few best QBs in the NFL. He's a borderline HOFer in his own right.

Both have great but not elite tools. Both have had success care taking offenses to Super Bowls, both have limitations.
IMO expecting "more than Roethlisberger" out of any young QB is a sucker bet. Ben suffers in comparison to the big four, but in any other era he's one of the few best QBs in the NFL. He's a borderline HOFer in his own right.
agreed.

Their skill sets are nothing alike and Big Ben is a guy who threw it significantly fewer times than even Wilson his first two years in the league. While his numbers were respectable tossing it <300 times a year, the first time he went over 400 attempts he struggled. Mightily.And yet you are still selling Roethlesberger short. Both are elite in aspects of their games. Difference being that Big Ben isn't likely to improve from here on out.

Kree said:
I don't follow Casserly closely, so I don't know how reliable he is, but his excerpt doesn't inspire much faith. Flacco, Eli, and Stafford over Wilson? Yikes.
I've tended to enjoy half of the articles I've read of his (Which is decent for an nfl.com columnist).

But I struggle to see what Foles has really put on the board over Wilson.

People act like Seattle have an all-world oline and receiving corp as well........
NFL record 7 TD game? Better TD%, better INT%, better offense? RW is terrific, absolutely, but he's been limited in his actual production (like 79 yards pass until the late 4th quarter vs NO for instance...). But Foles has put more "on the board."
In an incredibly QB friendly system...

I like Foles a lot, and even though I just classified it s a QB-friendly system, he' would be a talented player anywhere. But lets not talk down Wilson's output and ranking based on 'friendly systems' (Which still has an average/below average Oline and had no receivers to speak of) and then talk up Foles for short term production that hasn't led to anything of note in a system designed to churn out yards with most anyone behind centre.
As usual there is confusion about whether the discussion is about FF and sheer numbers, or efficiency numbers like YPA (which Foles led by a good margin too btw), or actual sheer innate talent, big play ability and leadership.

I'd love to see Wilson in a fun, stats churning offense (preferably in the AFC somewhere), but that's not his situation.
I think the best way to really discuss fantasy football most of the time is through the guise of actual football discussion.

And that is what the article was referencing... It isn't a fantasy based article so why treat it like one?

Their skill sets are nothing alike and Big Ben is a guy who threw it significantly fewer times than even Wilson his first two years in the league. While his numbers were respectable tossing it <300 times a year, the first time he went over 400 attempts he struggled. Mightily.And yet you are still selling Roethlesberger short. Both are elite in aspects of their games. Difference being that Big Ben isn't likely to improve from here on out.
so am I selling Russell short or selling Ben short? Or somehow selling them both short? :confused:

Sabertooth said:
Neofight said:
Sabertooth said:
Neofight said:
Sabertooth said:
so am I selling Russell short or selling Ben short? Or somehow selling them both short? :confused:
Looks like both.

The two seasons prior to Wilson taking over as the starter (Lynch was the leading rusher those seasons) the Seahawks offense was ranked 23rd in points and 28th in yards both seasons

In the two season with Wilson as the starter (Lynch still the leading rusher) the Seahawks have been in the top 9 in points and 17th in yards both seasons

There is no doubt he's very good and more importantly a good fit for the style of offense they run. But I don't know if he's going to continue on into the Bree's category of fantasy player because of volume. He's been very efficient. He has not had to deal with much adversity in terms of injury yet but his work ethic is great. I don't see Seattle switching philosophies after marching to a Super Bowl title just because Russell can handle it. I don't think Carroll is going to mess with his winning formula unless he has to.

The two seasons prior to Wilson taking over as the starter (Lynch was the leading rusher those seasons) the Seahawks offense was ranked 23rd in points and 28th in yards both seasons

In the two season with Wilson as the starter (Lynch still the leading rusher) the Seahawks have been in the top 9 in points and 17th in yards both seasons
i agree he's been a boom to the offense but I don't see him moving much higher in terms of fantasy production that top 7 or so. In real football he's great and a great fit for what they are trying to do. In fantasy he was 9th last year and will probably be around the same this year. I have him behind:Manning

Rodgers

Bree's

Brady

Cam

Stafford

Foles

Luck

Rivers

ImTheScientist said:
"First, let's eliminate some quarterbacks and teams from contention.

Quarterbacks who are "too old" to bother making the comparison with: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer

I don't think that Rodgers is too old. I think every team should want to start with Rodgers. And since I don't want to lose any debate, I'm skipping him."

:lmao:

ImTheScientist said:
"First, let's eliminate some quarterbacks and teams from contention.

Quarterbacks who are "too old" to bother making the comparison with: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer

I don't think that Rodgers is too old. I think every team should want to start with Rodgers. And since I don't want to lose any debate, I'm skipping him."

:lmao:
The author is trying to define "young" for a quarterback. Rodgers will turn 31 in December. What qualifies as young for you? What's your cut off?

I agree the article is silly. He includes 29 year old Ryan as being young. That said, any age he chooses is just cherry picking a number to try and make a contrived point.

Im guessing they pass on average only 2-3 more times a game this year. You will however see a much more explosive WR group/offense. I can see Russell finishing around QB 5-7.
I tend to agree here and it would take something unforeseen (injury, for example) to change drastically from what worked last season. But I do believe the thread of Harvin is what will make a major difference. Against the Chargers he was forcing coverage to shift with him and led directly to Zach Miller being wide open. Last year there was a similar instance (and not the same play) where the safety following Percy led to a Doug Baldwin deep catch up the right sideline.

And just when the defenses have had enough and start playing deep or even a Cover 3 we burn them with bubble screens and Lynch running right up the middle.

But Russell's command of the playbook looks very real and I have no doubts we can put a win on his shoulders and come out on top. We've seen it happen three times in the past 19 months actually and he's only getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread