What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (5 Viewers)

Bueller? Its only preseason but DAMN he has looked impressive
yeah I was up in Washington last weekend for business so invariably was watching the Seahawks game and seeing Wilson in that offense looked amazing and immediately started targeting him in the 8th.Great value compared to other QBs going 3-5 rounds higher.

. I can see Russell finishing around QB 5-7.
That is what I'm expecting as well
Not the first time I've read/heard this.

Can someone give a good explanation of what has changed or will changed from the last two years?
Well, he finished #9 last year in my league. He only had 1 rushing TD. In the preseason he certainly looked to run more in the red zone. He's entering his 3rd year, has obviously matured as a passer each previous year, and perhaps he has the gameplan opened up a bit. Also: Percy Harvin, if healthy.

Those are just some things that I would say are in the "changed/evolving" camp.

I'd take at least 12 NFL quarterbacks over WilsonI do not consider Russell Wilson a Top-10 quarterback, let alone one who belongs in the top five. The Seahawks win because they have one of the NFL's best defenses and an outstanding running back in Marshawn Lynch. Wilson -- who I think is a good, but not elite, passer -- operates in an offense that takes a lot of pressure off him, meaning the Seahawks don't have to rely upon his arm to win games.

When evaluating players you always ask yourself how would that player perform with another team that is better than his. For example, if you put Andrew Luck in Seattle would his numbers improve? I don't have any doubt they would. In no particular order, I would rank these AFC signal-callers ahead of Wilson: Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Tom Brady and, possibly, Joe Flacco. And the NFC quarterbacks I would rank ahead of him: Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning (despite his poor 2013 season), Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo and Nick Foles.
- Charlie Casserly.

ETA - I dunno Charl... the idea of Wilson with a Sean Payton or a Chip Kelly would be pretty damned exciting I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can someone give a good explanation of what has changed or will changed from the last two years?
Well, he finished #9 last year in my league. He only had 1 rushing TD. In the preseason he certainly looked to run more in the red zone. He's entering his 3rd year, has obviously matured as a passer each previous year, and perhaps he has the gameplan opened up a bit. Also: Percy Harvin, if healthy.

Those are just some things that I would say are in the "changed/evolving" camp.
I think he's already terrific and agree he's getting better, question is (for me) will his passing attempts go up?

Seattle won the Super Bowl, therefore their homers are currently the ones beating drums most loudly and most frequently.

Rationally speaking, Wilson has put up two pretty similar seasons (one a tiny bit better passing, the other a tiny bit better running), and the team had as successful a season as possible. Changing anything in any major way would be completely insane. :shrug:

If he isn't somewhere in the neighborhood of whatever it usually is for him -- 3500/25 or whatever, plus a little on the ground, prorated over the course of a season? -- and thus QB 12 or so by PPG, it would have to rate as a pretty big surprise.

Yeah. He's a third year QB with the best receiving option Seattle's got on the field for once.
He also has gotten better since he first played in the NFL. He tore it up in the pre-season.

Yeah. He's a third year QB with the best receiving option Seattle's got on the field for once.
So Wilson has the best receiver he's ever had in Harvin full time now, ok. But personally I think Baldwin and Kearse are pretty darn good in their own right. I'm just wondering if he gets another 100 attempts this year, which would make a big difference. Does he throw it 500 this year? Why now, because they just let him?

So Wilson has the best receiver he's ever had in Harvin full time now, ok. But personally I think Baldwin and Kearse are pretty darn good in their own right. I'm just wondering if he gets another 100 attempts this year, which would make a big difference. Does he throw it 500 this year? Why now, because they just let him?
Because he's older, more experienced, and maturing in the offense. Year three is a reasonable time to take the training wheels off for a QB.

I like Wilson and think he's a very good player, but I think tonight was a pretty good illustration of how much help he also gets via the situation he's in. He threw 2 TDs tonight and both of them came on throws that literally anyone participating in this thread could have made. 10 yard passes to a guy without a defender within 15 yards of him both times.

who cares, they all count the same for his owners. Just shows he's in a good scheme with good players. he'll take advantage all season

I like Wilson and think he's a very good player, but I think tonight was a pretty good illustration of how much help he also gets via the situation he's in. He threw 2 TDs tonight and both of them came on throws that literally anyone participating in this thread could have made. 10 yard passes to a guy without a defender within 15 yards of him both times.
This is fantasy. Why is his help a negative? He threw for less than 200 yards but threw for 2 TD's and therefore had a solid game for most of his owners in a game where Seattle was ahead for 3 quarters.

Seattle looks to me like a team that is willing to put a team away rather than sit on a lead for a whole quarter. They seem to be playing with the same chip on their shoulder as last year. I'm not nearly so worried that Wilson gets neutralized in games with a lead. His OC was dialing up creative pass plays late in the 4th with a double digit lead and Wilson was scrambling for first downs. I think we may be seeing Wilson's floor raised.

First time Wilson owner so first time really watching him closely. I liked almost everything I saw -- some of his deep throws seemed off. But the thing that was most surprising was that I was expecting him to run a lot more than he did. Was that a typical game? Was Green Bay scheming him differently? Any concern that Seattle is trying to transform him into more of a pocket passer?

First time Wilson owner so first time really watching him closely. I liked almost everything I saw -- some of his deep throws seemed off. But the thing that was most surprising was that I was expecting him to run a lot more than he did. Was that a typical game? Was Green Bay scheming him differently? Any concern that Seattle is trying to transform him into more of a pocket passer?
He's not a "running QB" despite what the Shark Pool and the media classify him as. He will *always* throw the ball if it's going to net more yards, and is always looking to throw until the crosses the LOS.

I'm drinking the kool-aid on Russell Wilson, bigtime. I started him week 1 over Aaron Rodgers (my 2nd round pick) and it ended up being the right call. Saw myself looking at matchups again week 2, and then got hit with a bigtime offer of Charles for Rodgers. I took it, and am now gonna ride and die with #3 at QB. Get it.

proninja said:
He's not a "running QB" despite what the Shark Pool and the media classify him as. He will *always* throw the ball if it's going to net more yards, and is always looking to throw until the crosses the LOS.
:goodposting:

Rarely are his runs a part of the game plan. Against a defense like GB where the offense can mostly do what they want, you probably won't see a lot of rushing yards. Also, he's smart, and it wouldn't shock me if he didn't run in a blowout because he knows it's risky.
He has scramble rules, which are essentially a check list of things to look for before taking off, and things to do once he starts running. It is a really smart approach to a mobile QB, something that guys like RG3 would benefit from. I noticed Jake Locker being a lot smarter about his own scramble rules in TEN's first game this week, I wonder if Wilson imparted some wisdom. Ultimately, you will only see crazy rushing totals in games where Seattle is behind, or teams don't put a spy on Wilson. Both of those instances are seemingly more and more rare these days.

proninja said:
:goodposting:

Rarely are his runs a part of the game plan. Against a defense like GB where the offense can mostly do what they want, you probably won't see a lot of rushing yards. Also, he's smart, and it wouldn't shock me if he didn't run in a blowout because he knows it's risky.
He has scramble rules, which are essentially a check list of things to look for before taking off, and things to do once he starts running. It is a really smart approach to a mobile QB, something that guys like RG3 would benefit from. I noticed Jake Locker being a lot smarter about his own scramble rules in TEN's first game this week, I wonder if Wilson imparted some wisdom. Ultimately, you will only see crazy rushing totals in games where Seattle is behind, or teams don't put a spy on Wilson. Both of those instances are seemingly more and more rare these days.
That's actually Ken Whisenhunt's influence. If you follow Whisenhunt around the league you'll see he gave Roethlisberger his best years, revitalized Kurt Warner (who at the time was relegated to backup duties, but probably would have been awesome on his own), was the OC last year in SD for Philip Rivers best year, and is now in Tennessee and likely the big reason behind Locker's dramatic improvement.

rocketsauce said:
I'm drinking the kool-aid on Russell Wilson, bigtime. I started him week 1 over Aaron Rodgers (my 2nd round pick) and it ended up being the right call. Saw myself looking at matchups again week 2, and then got hit with a bigtime offer of Charles for Rodgers. I took it, and am now gonna ride and die with #3 at QB. Get it.
Oh my gosh that is fantastic, good for you!

Rotoworld:

Russell Wilson completed 24-of-34 passes for 258 yards with two touchdowns and one interception in Sunday's Week 3 overtime win over the Broncos.

Wilson is elite because he both manages the game and makes big plays. It was evident in overtime, as he repeatedly used his legs to pick up crucial first downs on the game-winning drive. Wilson finished with nine rushes for 40 yards. He carries six touchdowns and one interception into the Week 4 bye and then will get a chance to shred a putrid Redskins secondary in Week 5.

Sep 21 - 8:14 PM

Rotoworld:

Russell Wilson completed 24-of-34 passes for 258 yards with two touchdowns and one interception in Sunday's Week 3 overtime win over the Broncos.

Wilson is elite because he both manages the game and makes big plays. It was evident in overtime, as he repeatedly used his legs to pick up crucial first downs on the game-winning drive. Wilson finished with nine rushes for 40 yards. He carries six touchdowns and one interception into the Week 4 bye and then will get a chance to shred a putrid Redskins secondary in Week 5.

Another great fantasy game for WIlson. The team didn't look great and still Wilson's rush/pass points are equivalnet to 358 passing yards. Two more TDs, even though the offense wasn't clicking? The offense hasn't come close to their potential yet. Rotoworld is calling him "elite," but he doesn't even make Bloom's upgrade list.

I say buy where you can.

Rotoworld:

I love these news sources and how they bring it with the hype :lmao: There are QBs in this league that "will never be elite" because they manage games and make big plays with their legs. I couldn't help think about that established meme during that last drive.....especially with no down field attempts.

Rotoworld:

Another great fantasy game for WIlson. The team didn't look great and still Wilson's rush/pass points are equivalnet to 358 passing yards. Two more TDs, even though the offense wasn't clicking? The offense hasn't come close to their potential yet. Rotoworld is calling him "elite," but he doesn't even make Bloom's upgrade list.

I say buy where you can.
Wonder how the guys in the RGIII is better than Wilson thread feel?

ImTheScientist said:
Air Stich said:
Rotoworld:

I say buy where you can.
Wonder how the guys in the RGIII is better than Wilson thread feel?
I would imagine they would say it's never too soon to claim you're right but it's never too late to be wrong...

I'd take at least 12 NFL quarterbacks over WilsonI do not consider Russell Wilson a Top-10 quarterback, let alone one who belongs in the top five. The Seahawks win because they have one of the NFL's best defenses and an outstanding running back in Marshawn Lynch. Wilson -- who I think is a good, but not elite, passer -- operates in an offense that takes a lot of pressure off him, meaning the Seahawks don't have to rely upon his arm to win games.

When evaluating players you always ask yourself how would that player perform with another team that is better than his. For example, if you put Andrew Luck in Seattle would his numbers improve? I don't have any doubt they would. In no particular order, I would rank these AFC signal-callers ahead of Wilson: Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Tom Brady and, possibly, Joe Flacco. And the NFC quarterbacks I would rank ahead of him: Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning (despite his poor 2013 season), Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo and Nick Foles.
- Charlie Casserly.

ETA - I dunno Charl... the idea of Wilson with a Sean Payton or a Chip Kelly would be pretty damned exciting I'd say.
At this point Wilson is in the same class as Peyton, Luck, Rodgers, and Brees. The rest of the list is just laughable (Eli, M.Ryan, Stafford, Romo, Foles, Rivers, Roethlisburger, Brady, and Flacco). Those guys have the big names, big arms, and height, but I'll take the leadership and accuracy every time.

- Charlie Casserly.

At this point Wilson is in the same class as Peyton, Luck, Rodgers, and Brees. The rest of the list is just laughable (Eli, M.Ryan, Stafford, Romo, Foles, Rivers, Roethlisburger, Brady, and Flacco). Those guys have the big names, big arms, and height, but I'll take the leadership and accuracy every time.
Wilson is awesome but wow are you disrespecting some very good QBs :shrug:

:lmao:

I love Wilson, but this is one the worst posts in the history of the SP up to this point. Very premature.

Brees is basically the same as Wilson as far as body size. So, you're wrong on part of your statement. How many 4000 yd seasons do Wilson have? Another positive for Wilson is that he has a defense all those guys could only dream of.

I love Wilson, but this is one the worst posts in the history of the SP up to this point. Very premature.

Brees is basically the same as Wilson as far as body size. So, you're wrong on part of your statement. How many 4000 yd seasons do Wilson have? Another positive for Wilson is that he has a defense all those guys could only dream of.
Good point. But it took Brees 6 seasons to get to 4,000 yards (4,418 in 2006) where he threw 26 TDs and 11 INTs. Prior to that he maxed out at 27 TDs in his 4th year in the league.

How about we table this one until Wilson's 6th year and we'll see where we stand. But otherwise, at least you were able to put words together to make a sentence.

Good point. But it took Brees 6 seasons to get to 4,000 yards (4,418 in 2006) where he threw 26 TDs and 11 INTs. Prior to that he maxed out at 27 TDs in his 4th year in the league.

How about we table this one until Wilson's 6th year and we'll see where we stand. But otherwise, at least you were able to put words together to make a sentence.
Considering I have a minor in English, the act of writing sentences, paragraphs, papers, poems, and even rap lyrics have come pretty easy for me. Just as easy as you showing time and again that you are as much of a #### stain as ITS. Even when those on these board give Wilson the credit he is due, you two can't help but make your fanbase look like a bunch of a-holes. I don't think there are two worse homers here. Scratch that............you two give Shonuff and Sabertooth a run at the most blind homers here. It's a shame you make it bad for other Hawk fans.

:lmao: I love Wilson, but this is one the worst posts in the history of the SP up to this point. Very premature.

I tell you what. Let's give him 11 years, and if he throws for 5,000 yards more than once we can say he's as good as Brees. Otherwise, no dice. Cool?

:lmao: I love Wilson, but this is one the worst posts in the history of the SP up to this point. Very premature.

Considering I have a minor in English, the act of writing sentences, paragraphs, papers, poems, and even rap lyrics have come pretty easy for me. Just as easy as you showing time and again that you are as much of a #### stain as ITS. Even when those on these board give Wilson the credit he is due, you two can't help but make your fanbase look like a bunch of a-holes. I don't think there are two worse homers here. Scratch that............you two give Shonuff and Sabertooth a run at the most blind homers here. It's a shame you make it bad for other Hawk fans.

Users who are viewing this thread