What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (1 Viewer)

Russell Wilson is as efficient as they come, but Seahawks aren't in same league as NFL's top offenses

Excerpt:

Russell Wilson is as steady as they come. With DK Metcalf on the rise, efficient Tyler Lockett and now Greg Olsen at TE, what are the chances he finishes as fantasy's QB1?

Liz: It’s certainly in his range of possible outcomes. He is, after all, ranked the QB4overall by the Yahoo FF crew. Not many signal-callers are as efficient via the air and explosive on the ground as Ciara’s husband. Last year, with Lockett and Metcalf in tow, Wilson managed 92 red zone passing attempts (QB2) and 75 carries (QB5). Obviously, those numbers could spike, but with younger talents like Mahomes, Jackson, and Prescott all vying for the top spot it’s hard not to give the advantage to the fresher options with higher upside. 

Scott: I have Wilson ranked at QB3, which is a notable stance, I guess. It’s not intentional. I don’t hot taek for the sake of hot-taeking. I just love his efficiency and feels it makes up for modest volume he generally receives (it also explains part of that modest volume). No one would take Wilson over Mahomes or Jackson in the current landscape, and if you want to be more value-driven with your QB, that’s fine. I get it. But when’s the last time you regretted a Wilson pick? Ever? And now he has two ridiculous talents at wide receiver.

Andy: In a season like 2020, everybody has a shot at everything. Anyone who can remain healthy for 16 games will have a huge edge. That said, I don’t think there’s any question that Mahomes and Jackson simply have higher ceilings. Wilson is a phenomenal dual-threat quarterback, but Jackson is in a different class as a rushing threat. Still, it shouldn’t shock anyone if Wilson again throws his name in the MVP conversation; he’s thrown over 30 TD passes in four of the past five seasons. I’d say he’s a great bet for a top-5 finish, but I wouldn’t give him better than, say, a 10-15 percent chance to rank No. 1 overall.

super hot wife, too.  :)  
She just gave birth to a baby boy. Named 'Win', which doesn't surprise me one bit. I used to be put off by Russell Wilson, especially in the wake of them beating Green Bay, which they shoudn't have...but I've grown to respect him immensely as a leader and competitor. A player that means that much to the League just bringing a newborn into the world during a time like this, with the option to opt-out. I'm going to be very interested in how his decision making process plays out.

Don't love the Jamaal Adams trade for his fantasy stock...
He played the first part of his career with one of the best defensive secondaries of the past twenty years.  Part of what makes Russ so good is how efficient he is, you know Seattle is going to try to run anyway, so more chances of offensive touches can only be better for him overall.

He played the first part of his career with one of the best defensive secondaries of the past twenty years.  Part of what makes Russ so good is how efficient he is, you know Seattle is going to try to run anyway, so more chances of offensive touches can only be better for him overall.
Have you looked at this stats at the beginning of his career? Lower scoring games are not good. His good stats historically have come in high scoring games when they’ve fallen behind

Have you looked at this stats at the beginning of his career? Lower scoring games are not good. His good stats historically have come in high scoring games when they’ve fallen behind
I wouldn't worry.  Seattle's plan has basically always been to be ultra-conservative until absolutely necessary.  Even when they had that amazing defense they would routinely be losing in the first half and have Russ bring them back in the second.  Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

I've got Wilson as QB3 this year. I think Metcalf takes a bit of a leap, and the running game could take a step backward, allowing Wilson to both run more(especially in the redzone) and pass a little bit more. 

I think QB's 3-7 are probably the same tier, but I trust Wilson the most in that group. 

Seahawks QB Russell Wilson said the offense should be more aggressive this season and "treat every quarter like the fourth quarter."

Wilson has officially given his blessing to the Let Russ Cook sentiment among Seattle fans and football fans who enjoy big plays and touchdowns. There's no indication hyper-conservative Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer will open up his offense and stop limiting Mr. Unlimited. The dual threat Wilson would be a fantasy football fever dream in a more pass-heavy scheme. We can dream. 

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter 

Aug 13, 2020, 3:21 PM ET

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll joked "We're just going to hammer the rock" in reference to #LetRussCook. 

The #LetRussCook movement has now been talked about by its protagonist and villain. Carroll went on to clarify, "We’re going to try to give him every opportunity to kick butt." Wilson commented on the hashtag a week ago, saying the offense should "treat every quarter like the fourth quarter." Carroll's comments were made in jest but have numbers to back them up. Despite being one of the league's most efficient quarterbacks, Wilson has peaked at 553 pass attempts three seasons ago. Expect Seattle to continue their ground-based approach this year.

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter

Aug 22, 2020, 7:02 PM ET

Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott destined to join $40 million club; the truth about Russell Wilson

Excerpt:

1) Should the Seahawks #LetRussCook in 2020? That's the million-dollar question floating around the Pacific Northwest, with the 12s begging Pete Carroll to fully unleash Russell Wilson as an offensive weapon. Despite watching the 'Hawks win at least 10 games and earn a playoff berth in seven of the QB's eight seasons, the fans want Wilson to sling the ball all over the yard.

I understand why the 12s are clamoring for more Russ. They've watched the perennial MVP candidate orchestrate a series of dramatic fourth-quarter or overtime game-winning drives (32) and post a .671 win percentage with handcuffs on his game. Fans play the "what if" game, citing Wilson's impressive touchdown-to-interception ratio (227:80) and passer rating (101.2) in spite of the 'Hawks' conservative approach. What if Seattle's coaches let Russell play the entire game like the fourth quarter? This would be a much better team, right?

Nope.

The Seahawks are a much better team when Wilson plays as a managerial playmaker. That statement will make some 12s cringe, but the conservative offensive approach is part of a complementary football strategy that leads to Ws.

Don't believe me? Just look at how the team functioned in 2016 and '17 with Wilson throwing 540-plus times each season. Although the Seahawks compiled a 19-12-1 record during that span, Wilson finished with a sub-100 passer rating and 11 interceptions in each of those campaigns. In addition, the aggressive offensive approach coincided with a defensive regression that featured a slide outside of the top 10 in total D and points allowed in 2017.

That's why the Seahawks must continue to operate in a conservative fashion with Wilson at the helm. While critics chastise the team for Wilson's 45.2 percent dropback rate in the first quarter over the past two years (compared to Patrick Mahomes' 67.8 percent rate during the same span), the Seahawks' scoring average (4.84 points) is higher than in 2016 and '17, when Wilson had a 57 percent first-quarter dropback rate, per NFL Research.

Considering Wilson's efficiency over the past two seasons (35:7 TD-to-INT ratio, 110.9 passer rating in 2018; 31:5, 106.3 in '19) with the team also earning a pair of playoff berths (21-11 record in that span), the 'Hawks should ignore the noise and stick to the plan that's made them a feared squad in the NFC.

Russell Wilson completed 31-of-35 passes for 322 yards and four touchdowns in the Seahawks' 38-25, Week 1 win over the Falcons. 

With the Seahawks finally opening up the offense — early-down passing, pre-snap motion, play action, etc. — Russ cooked the Falcons alive, completing 88.6 percent of his passes while finding each of DK Metcalf, Greg Olsen and Chris Carson for scores. Metcalf's score was emblematic of the Hawks' new approach, as Wilson found him singled up on fourth down. Metcalf roasted Isaiah Oliver down the sideline for his 38-yard touchdown. One week does not a commitment make, but coach Pete Carroll and OC Brian Schottenheimer finally appear serious about opening up their offense. Playing with a lead suited them well today as their pass defense showed deficiencies. Today was highly encouraging, but Week 2's challenge will be an order of magnitude more difficult in the Patriots. 

- Rotoworld
#LetRussCook

Last edited by a moderator:
Just look at how the team functioned in 2016 and '17 with Wilson throwing 540-plus times each season. Although the Seahawks compiled a 19-12-1 record during that span, Wilson finished with a sub-100 passer rating and 11 interceptions in each of those campaigns.
This is lousy logic. In 2016, Wilson played through 3 serious injuries (high ankle sprain, sprained MCL, and a pec injury). In 2017, he led the league in TD passes and was #9 in passing yards and #10 in passer rating. And he now has two more seasons of experience, and he has a better supporting cast.

#LetRussCook

Brady Henderson @BradyHenderson

From @ESPNStatsInfo, context on Pete Carroll going for it on fourth-and-5 Sunday, resulting in a Russell Wilson TD pass to DK Metcalf: Carroll went for it on fourth down 97 times over Wilson's first eight seasons, third-fewest in the NFL in that span. League-wide range: 92-165.
https://twitter.com/bradyhenderson/status/1306019871369711616?s=21

Brady Henderson @BradyHenderson

The larger point here: Seattle has been relatively conservative on fourth down with one of the NFL's best quarterbacks. This could be another way they can let Russ cook, in addition to throwing more early in games. They did both Sunday against Atlanta.
https://twitter.com/bradyhenderson/status/1306021890872365057?s=21

#LetRussCook

Russell has never received a single MVP vote. Not one. 
That's insane!  He's the best QB in the league right now, period!  I guess maybe his stats aren't as gawdy as the guys who win, but is there a better leader?  Is there any team that would miss their leader as much as the Hawks would miss Russ?  I can't stand the Hawks, and I'm a huge Wilson fan!......you know why?  Cuz he is the antithesis to a guy like Cam Newton.....he is a lunch bucket, humble, team dude...... I just love the way he carries himself....so unassuming.....and then he rips your heart out, shows it to, then helps you up off the turf!

On the season Wilson is 51 for 63 for 610 yards and 9 TDs.  3 of those incompletions were "drops" which includes the pick 6 against New England.  He has 9 TD passes to 12 incompletions.  That is absolutely insane.  

On the season Wilson is 51 for 63 for 610 yards and 9 TDs.  3 of those incompletions were "drops" which includes the pick 6 against New England.  He has 9 TD passes to 12 incompletions.  That is absolutely insane.  
Plus at least a couple of those incompletions were throwaways. Plus he has 68 yards rushing in 2 games. If the team has committed to #LetRussCook and he keeps this up, he'll get his first MVP votes this season.

Russell Wilson completed 21-of-28 passes for 288 yards with five touchdowns and an interception in Seattle's Week 2 win over the Patriots.

Wilson rebounded from a pick-six on a deflected pass on the opening drive. All five of his touchdowns went to different receivers, with a pair of them coming from 30-plus yards out. Wilson also added 39 yards on five carries after leading Seattle in rushing last week. The Seahawks were able to outlast the Patriots, who were stuffed on the goal-line to end the game. Averaging 305 passing yards with a 9:1 TD/INT ratio through two weeks, Wilson is looking like the early favorite for MVP. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he atleast deserved votes in 2015.  He had a way worse team than Cam and his stats hold up.  Was surprised he got shutout that year.
"deserving votes" is misleading though.  Every vote is independent.  So all 50 voters may have thought he was a very close 2nd place to Cam, but him getting 0 votes in that case would be appropriate.   Cam went 15-1, he deserved it that year.

One part of this article stands out as the point I was making before

Regarding the MVP vote, the 50 voters get one selection. In baseball, voters pick multiple players for MVP in a sliding order and then you see who finishes second and third and so on. In football, often times, one player has an incredible season and he wins in a landslide. Last year, Lamar Jackson set the single-season quarterback rushing record, led the league with 36 TD passes, and Baltimore was a league-best 14-2. The year before, it was the 50 TD passes by Mahomes, and the Chiefs winning the AFC’s top seed, that paved the way for him to win it.

Plus at least a couple of those incompletions were throwaways. Plus he has 68 yards rushing in 2 games. If the team has committed to #LetRussCook and he keeps this up, he'll get his first MVP votes this season.
He’s almost got me thinking of trading away Mahomes 

He’s almost got me thinking of trading away Mahomes 
What sucks about having great QBs is it can be hard getting enough value back in a trade in leagues where you only start one. I have Russ and Josh Allen and could use some upgrade at RB and WR but I already know it’s going to be hard to get definite upgrades at those positions by trading away one of those QBs.

GroveDiesel said:
What sucks about having great QBs is it can be hard getting enough value back in a trade in leagues where you only start one. I have Russ and Josh Allen and could use some upgrade at RB and WR but I already know it’s going to be hard to get definite upgrades at those positions by trading away one of those QBs.
So true 

Mixon and Conners are the best I’ve seen 

owner was ready to trade Taylor to me after week one, but backed out the last minute 

very tough giving up a top tier QB(6 TD league) for what I’m being offered 

And I bet another 3 were 'throwaways' because no one was open.  Which means he's missed the receiver a total of 6 out of 63 times.

I made a move for russ preseason because I haven't started a top qb in my dynasty league in years and boy and I glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread