Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Russell Wilson Bandwagon*** #LetRussCook

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Seahawks are answering trade calls on Russell Wilson. 

Russini reports the Seahawks are not actively "shopping" Wilson, but that they are picking up when other teams call. That puts them a step ahead of the Texans, who are reportedly sending interested Deshaun Watson parties straight to voicemail. Russini confirms Wilson is "not happy" in Seattle. Instead of dying down, this story keeps gaining new dimensions. It is still a "believe it when you see it," but it is notable this was not immediately extinguished.  

The #Seahawks are not happy with QB Russell Wilson situation, per @MikeSilver. Silver also added that Seattle are expected to listen to offers from Wilson’s preferred teams.

Edited by One
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the 70th pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Bryan Anger, Punter. Seahawks with the 75th pick:  We'll take that short quarterback.

Does "an average to above average QB" set NFL records? Current NFL records: Most regular season wins by a quarterback in his first two seasons (24); most total wins in first two seasons (

Guess he isn't interested in any more rings.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears "have prioritized" making a run at Russell Wilson.

Biggs is the Bears' ace beat writer and has been covering the club for a long time, so his words carry weight. Chicago's focus is on upgrading its quarterback spot with Mitchell Trubisky now headed to free agency and Nick Foles an obvious non-answer at the position. GM Ryan Pace and coach Matt Nagy need to swing big, and landing Wilson would obviously qualify. Wilson's agent said he'd accept a trade to four teams, and the Bears were on that list along with the Saints, Cowboys, and Raiders. New Orleans is in a salary-cap nightmare. Dallas seems intent on retaining Dak Prescott. And the Raiders haven't yet wavered in their support of Derek Carr. With the Seahawks "answering" calls on Wilson, the Bears should make every effort they can to acquire the 32-year-old. It would take a massive haul.

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune

Mar 6, 2021, 9:37 AM ET

The Bears are idiots.   They will spend all offseason pursuing Wilson with zero chance he actually gets traded.  The carousel will pass them by and they will start Nick Foles. 

Wilson is not getting traded.  Seattle is not taking a 38 million dollar cap hit to get rid of their QB. 

Maybe next year, Bears. 

52 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

The Bears are idiots.   They will spend all offseason pursuing Wilson with zero chance he actually gets traded.  The carousel will pass them by and they will start Nick Foles. 

Wilson is not getting traded.  Seattle is not taking a 38 million dollar cap hit to get rid of their QB. 

Maybe next year, Bears. 

Exactly!  I don't understand how a trade of wilson even happens with that kind of dead money.  I mean, I guess anything is possible but there are certain players that even if they are in decline (which wilson is not) they are better off sitting on their teams sideline (cap wise) than being anywhere else.

• Like 1

One way the trade could happen if Wilson really wants it is him writing a check to Seattle to refund some amount of his signing bonus to reduce the cap hit of trading him. Presumably, that would only happen if he expected to recoup that money in a restructured/extended contract with his new team.

I have no idea why he listed the Bears among his acceptable destinations, does anyone else? I kind of understand Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, and even the Jets. But I really don't get the Bears.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

One way the trade could happen if Wilson really wants it is him writing a check to Seattle to refund some amount of his signing bonus to reduce the cap hit of trading him. Presumably, that would only happen if he expected to recoup that money in a restructured/extended contract with his new team.

I have no idea why he listed the Bears among his acceptable destinations, does anyone else? I kind of understand Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, and even the Jets. But I really don't get the Bears.

He is married to a pop star, and I think it is fair to assume that he and her have talked about this and would rather he play in a city where he can maximize his marketability, which explains why he would accept getting traded to Chicago. 

Wilson would make the Bears a LOT more competitive. At some point, when you have all the money ever printed, maybe you just go live where you want to.

2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

He is married to a pop star, and I think it is fair to assume that he and her have talked about this and would rather he play in a city where he can maximize his marketability, which explains why he would accept getting traded to Chicago. 

I guess... Wilson seems very famous and marketable to me right now. Not sure what it means to say he would be able to 'maximize' that in Chicago. How so?

I could completely understand moving to a place that is better for her career. New York or LA would fit that... maybe Vegas. Does Chicago do that? Maybe it does and I don't know.

Or a place where he thinks he can excel on the field and win championships, if he thinks getting away from Carroll will help him do that... but Chicago?

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

I guess... Wilson seems very famous and marketable to me right now. Not sure what it means to say he would be able to 'maximize' that in Chicago. How so?

I could completely understand moving to a place that is better for her career. New York or LA would fit that... maybe Vegas. Does Chicago do that? Maybe it does and I don't know.

Or a place where he thinks he can excel on the field and win championships, if he thinks getting away from Carroll will help him do that... but Chicago?

Seattle sounds better than Chicago.  Burrr....

On 3/6/2021 at 8:43 AM, kittenmittens said:

Maybe next year, Bears. 

@Kitten Mittens

NBC Sports' Peter King said Seattle trading Russell Wilson to the Bears is a "futile pipe dream."

King rightfully questions what Chicago could offer that would entice the Seahawks to trade away their franchise player. Even if the Bears offer Khalil Mack, Nick Foles, the 20th pick in the NFL Draft, and their 2022 first rounder, King said the Seahawks would be unlikely to make the deal and incur at $39 million cap hit in 2021. Seattle's draft position -- the team has a single selection in the first 125 picks -- makes it nearly impossible to find a quarterback of the future if they deal Wilson to Chicago. The Bears are reportedly "prioritizing" acquiring Wilson, but the team would have to blow away the Seahawks with an offer in the coming weeks. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 8, 2021, 9:20 AM ET

• Love 1

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Seahawks told the Bears that Russell Wilson is not being traded "at this time."

The Bears reportedly made "a very aggressive pursuit" for Wilson, but they instead had to settle for Andy Dalton as their 2021 starting quarterback. Go hug a Bears fan. This report should silence any Wilson trade rumors for the rest of the offseason, especially with the four teams that Wilson was open to going to looking settled at quarterback for now. The trade rumors never made much sense in the first place because of Wilson's contract and Seattle's "win now" roster. However, Schefter's report was careful to say "at this time", so it's possible that Wilson is headlining trade rumors following the 2021 season.

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 16, 2021, 5:34 PM ET

Dan Patrick reports the Bears offered three first round draft picks, a third-round pick, and two unnamed starters to the Seahawks for Russell Wilson. 

Perhaps the Wilson trade would have happened if the Bears had a top-five draft pick this year and Seattle could have started fresh with one of the draft's top QBs. Wilson going to Chicago would have likely meant late first round picks for Seattle in the coming years as well. It wasn't enough for the Seahawks to trade away their franchise player, who stays put for now. Meanwhile, Bears fans are readying themselves for the Andy Dalton era. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 17, 2021, 11:27 AM ET

• 3 weeks later...

Newly re-signed Seahawks DE Carlos Dunlap said he received assurances from Russell Wilson that the quarterback would remain with the team in 2021. 

“He’s with us," Dunlap said. "Here to stay." The Wilson trade chatter died down just as soon as it began, with the Bears' signing of Andy Dalton (lol) seeming to put an end to it for good. This was the second consecutive offseason Wilson could scarcely conceal his displeasure with the only organization he has ever known, but short of sitting out, he lacked the leverage to force the team's hand. With Sean McVay disciple Shane Waldron now calling the Seahawks' plays, things should be looking up for Wilson in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Carlos Dunlap

SOURCE: Omar Ruiz on Twitter 

Apr 6, 2021, 4:36 PM ET

On 3/6/2021 at 11:47 AM, Ghost Rider said:

:lmao: 

• 1 month later...

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer said Russell Wilson is likely on his final contract with the Seahawks. 

Wilson, signed through the 2023 season, would enter his age-36 season as a free agent if Seattle moves on from their franchise QB. Breer expects questions about Wilson staying with the team to continue unless the Seahawks make a Super Bowl run this year. Breer said "it certainly seems as if where this season goes could well influence whether we’re back here again next January or February, asking if Wilson’s days in Seattle are numbered." Wilson was reportedly "on board" with the Seahawks hiring Rams assistant Shane Waldron as the team's new offensive coordinator -- a move that could (maybe) reinvigorate a Seattle offense that was broken by the end of the 2020 season. 

SOURCE: SI.com 

May 24, 2021, 9:55 AM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Fantasy Scouts 24/7 

@FFBallAllDay

The thing I’m arguably most excited about? The Seahawks new look offense. Brought in Waldron who will translate a mock Rams zone-scheme levels concept offense. They brought in a TON of speed with Everett and Eskridge. Wouldn’t be shocked if Russ finishes as THE QB1

Speaking Thursday, Russell Wilson said he never requested a trade.

Wilson acknowledged the list of preferred trade destinations his agent gave to ESPN, but said they were merely a roadmap for if he ended up getting traded. We are splitting hairs here, but Wilson was not traded and is now claiming he wants to finish his career in Seattle. "I love this city, I love this place, I love everything about it," Wilson said. "For me, personally, I hope I play my whole career here. That's my mission, that's my goal." This relationship seems to grow a little more fraught with each passing year, but for now, it's back on track.  

SOURCE: Michael-Shawn Dugar on Twitter 

Jun 10, 2021, 5:56 PM ET

Russell Wilson expects new OC Shane Waldron's system to be more uptempo. 

“Obviously, the tempo part of it is something that is real,” Wilson said, before also talking about how the Seahawks plan to stretch the field more. “We have some nuances across the board that really challenge the defense, using the whole field and really expanding the offense. Just using everybody as much as possible, in all different formations and different looks and different tempos.” Espousing balanced offense, Waldron wants more quick passes, featuring "shorter and more horizontal (routes) than DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett have been running in Seattle for years," in the words of reporter Gregg Bell. For his part, Wilson is on board with all of it. More tempo and more quick passes would be a boon for Wilson both in real life and fantasy. 

SOURCE: Tacoma News Tribune 

Jun 12, 2021, 10:32 AM ET