Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Free Constitution 101 course

Chaka

Most don't know Hillsdale College but it is a very highly regarded conservative liberal arts college located in Michigan. Forbes ranks Hillsdale as the #60 college in the country, #54 private college, #7 in the Midwest and #1 in Michigan.

While they are notably conservative it is important to recognize that their charter is truly conservative (constitutional conservative) not right wing nut job conservative. As noted in the Wiki page linked above Hillsdale was the first college in the country to prohibit all discrimination based on race, religion or sex in their charter.

They also do not accept one penny of Federal funding, which allows them to establish their curriculum free from Federal intrusion. They truly back up their belief in small government.

For the economists out there Ludwig von Mises willed his entire library to Hillsdale.

Oh and Oakland Raiders left tackle Jared Veldheer went there too.

At any rate Hillsdale is offering a free online course Constitution 101: The Meaning and History of the Constitution that I think a lot of people in here, regardless of political mindset, might find interesting.

While they are notably conservative it is important to recognize that their charter is truly conservative (constitutional conservative) not right wing nut job conservative.

The only thing I really know about them is that they advertise on Mark Levin's radio show. That suggests to me some level of right wing nut job conservative.

While they are notably conservative it is important to recognize that their charter is truly conservative (constitutional conservative) not right wing nut job conservative.

The only thing I really know about them is that they advertise on Mark Levin's radio show. That suggests to me some level of right wing nut job conservative.
Levin is a fan. Not everyone who listens to him is a nut job though.

And I am not saying that right wing nut jobs don't appreciate Hillsdale but Hillsdale does not cater to them and Hillsdale certainly does not educate in that manner.

A lot of people see the word "Conservative" and tune out but I urge you to not buy into that mindset.

Hillsdale College provides one of the truly classical education experiences in the country. Plenty of people in the FFA think I am a godless hippie so I hope the fact that I am propping up this course at this college will at least give you pause.

Most don't know Hillsdale College but it is a very highly regarded conservative liberal arts college located in Michigan. Forbes ranks Hillsdale as the #60 college in the country, #54 private college, #7 in the Midwest and #1 in Michigan.

While they are notably conservative it is important to recognize that their charter is truly conservative (constitutional conservative) not right wing nut job conservative. As noted in the Wiki page linked above Hillsdale was the first college in the country to prohibit all discrimination based on race, religion or sex in their charter.

They also do not accept one penny of Federal funding, which allows them to establish their curriculum free from Federal intrusion. They truly back up their belief in small government.

For the economists out there Ludwig von Mises willed his entire library to Hillsdale.

Oh and Oakland Raiders left tackle Jared Veldheer went there too.

At any rate Hillsdale is offering a free online course Constitution 101: The Meaning and History of the Constitution that I think a lot of people in here, regardless of political mindset, might find interesting.

Sweet, thanks! :hifive:

Founder?

I thought so but maybe major President for many decades?
Better.

Hillsdale was founded on December 4, 1844

Too bad now its known for the naughty naughty tragedy.
It is unfortunate. But most reasonable people aren't going to discount an entire organization and/or philosophy based on the personal failings of one of its adherents.

And I'd be plenty interested in taking a course entitled The Conservative Rejection of the Founding.

I thought Bill Cosby's character on the Cosby show went to Hillsdale?

No but Tim Allen's character on Home Improvement wore a Hillsdale sweatshirt on a couple episodes.

I thought Bill Cosby's character on the Cosby show went to Hillsdale?

No but Tim Allen's character on Home Improvement wore a Hillsdale sweatshirt on a couple episodes.
I was close, Mr. Huxtable was a Hillman man.

It was a big scandal when the founder of Hillsdale was banging his daughter in law for 19 years and she killed herself:

Horror at Hillsdale.

One of the classes is:

The Progressive Rejection of the Founding - Ronald J. Pestritto

No thanks.

I was there and knew them. That course is an elective and I am not sure why it would bother you in the first place.

Founder?

I thought so but maybe major President for many decades?
Better.Hillsdale was founded on December 4, 1844
Too bad now its known for the naughty naughty tragedy.
I think that is an overstatement.

It was a big scandal when the founder of Hillsdale was banging his daughter in law for 19 years and she killed herself:

Horror at Hillsdale.

One of the classes is:

No thanks.

I was there and knew them. That course is an elective and I am not sure why it would bother you in the first place.
Oh, I dont know, maybe because the title of the section of the course implies that certain Americans reject the principles the Founding Fathers built the country upon....I dont know, it seems a little divisive to lump a certain group of Americans together and imply they are un-American and reject America. But thats just me. Maybe that is your thing. Good luck with it.

Oh, I dont know, maybe because the title of the section of the course implies that certain Americans reject the principles the Founding Fathers built the country upon.

You don't think that's true?

...I dont know, it seems a little divisive to lump a certain group of Americans together and imply they are un-American and reject America.

What if it can reasonably be shown to be so?Either progressive ideas are in line with those of the founding or they are not. And either the founding ideas typify "American" ideas or they don't.Would you be afraid of the discussion?

Horror at Hillsdale.

One of the classes is:

No thanks.

Oh, I dont know, maybe because the title of the section of the course implies that certain Americans reject the principles the Founding Fathers built the country upon....I dont know, it seems a little divisive to lump a certain group of Americans together and imply they are un-American and reject America. But thats just me. Maybe that is your thing. Good luck with it.
I am pretty sure that certain Americans do reject the principles of the Founding Fathers.

And I can guarantee that if it is being taught at Hillsdale it is not going to be an attack on people individually or as a group. It will be a discussion about a set of ideas or a philosophy in general and a reasoning behind why those ideas and/or philosophies run against the beliefs of the Founding Fathers.

The do not preach intolerance or hate at Hillsdale and have been ahead of the curve on that front since its founding.

ETA: And this thread isn't about that course, it's about a Constitution course taught from a Constitutionalist perspective. Seems like you might want to take it so you can better understand those you disagree with. It is free after all.

Oh, I dont know, maybe because the title of the section of the course implies that certain Americans reject the principles the Founding Fathers built the country upon.

...I dont know, it seems a little divisive to lump a certain group of Americans together and imply they are un-American and reject America.

What if it can reasonably be shown to be so?Either progressive ideas are in line with those of the founding or they are not. And either the founding ideas typify "American" ideas or they don't.Would you be afraid of the discussion?
Look, it is obvious you went to Hillsdale or something, but feel free to give it a rest. You seem somewhat defensive. I am not outright criticizing that kook haven--although I am happy to if you wish--just saying that such a course wouldnt interest me and I stated why. I wouldnt be afraid of any discussion but I have already studied enough constitutional law (with the Jesuits, who you are free to criticize without me getting my panties all in a wad). And I wouldnt be interested in the equivalent "Conservative Rejection of the Founding" class you would take, either. Not my style. But you feel free to roll that way all you like.

Look, it is obvious you went to Hillsdale or something, but feel free to give it a rest. You seem somewhat defensive. I am not outright criticizing that kook haven--although I am happy to if you wish--just saying that such a course wouldnt interest me and I stated why. I wouldnt be afraid of any discussion but I have already studied enough constitutional law (with the Jesuits, who you are free to criticize without me getting my panties all in a wad). And I wouldnt be interested in the equivalent "Conservative Rejection of the Founding" class you would take, either. Not my style. But you feel free to roll that way all you like.

I'm being defensive because you're being so offensive. I find the bolded to be exceptionally ironic.

And you're not "just saying that such a course wouldnt interest me".

I don't understand your vitriol (no wait...I do). You cited that particular course and the "scandal" in some sort of attempt to smear the institution. How come?

What if it can reasonably be shown to be so?

Either progressive ideas are in line with those of the founding or they are not. And either the founding ideas typify "American" ideas or they don't.

Would you be afraid of the discussion?

Well actually when you call it a "kook haven" you kind of are outright criticizing it.

I am not trying to start an iFight here and I never suggested you take a course on Progressives and the Founding Fathers. You're not interested, that's completely fine. I respectfully ask that you move along then.

The scandal was a fun fun read but I don't know what it has to do with the college 13 years later.

Sounds like an interesting place. Maybe they've got some really liberal students and contentious debates happen with grand frequency. Og knows conservative student clubs catch enough flack at some of the liberal institutions.

The scandal was a fun fun read but I don't know what it has to do with the college 13 years later.Sounds like an interesting place. Maybe they've got some really liberal students and contentious debates happen with grand frequency. Og knows conservative student clubs catch enough flack at some of the liberal institutions.

Primarily conservative but as with any institution you find alternative elements and a free exchange of ideas.

The scandal was a fun fun read but I don't know what it has to do with the college 13 years later.Sounds like an interesting place. Maybe they've got some really liberal students and contentious debates happen with grand frequency. Og knows conservative student clubs catch enough flack at some of the liberal institutions.

Primarily conservative but as with any institution you find alternative elements and a free exchange of ideas.
Besides not taking federal funding, what is it about Hillsdale that makes it "conservative?"

Holy cow. Here is the description of the course. I think that it is about examining modern society and questioning whether some of the things that the founding fathers put in the constitution still make absolute sense in a world that is so vastly different from the one in which they lived. The questions are debated all of the time today and seem like good fodder for academic study and discussion.

OverviewProgressivism is the belief that America needs to move or “progress” beyond the principles of the American Founding. Organized politically more than a hundred years ago, Progressivism insists upon flexibility in political forms unbound by fixed and universal principles. Progressives hold that human nature is malleable and that society is perfectible. Affirming the inexorable, positive march of history, Progressives see the need for unelected experts who would supervise a vast administration of government.Progressivism is rooted in the philosophy of European thinkers, most notably the German philosopher G.W.F. Hegel. Progressivism takes its name from a faith in “historical progress.” According to the leading lights of Progressivism, including Woodrow Wilson, Theodore Roosevelt, and John Dewey, human nature has evolved beyond the limitations that the Founders identified. Far from fearing man’s capacity for evil, Progressives held that properly enlightened human beings could be entrusted with power and not abuse it.The Progressive idea of historical progress is tied to the idea of historical contingency, which means that each period of history is guided by different and unique values that change over time. The “self-evident truths” that the Founders upheld in the Declaration of Independence, including natural rights, are no longer applicable. Circumstances, not eternal principles, ultimately dictate justice.If human nature is improving, and fixed principles do not exist, government must be updated according to the new reality. The Constitution’s arrangement of government, based upon the separation of powers, checks and balances, and federalism, only impeded effective government, according to Progressives. The limited government of the Founding is rejected in favor of a “living Constitution.”

I'm being defensive because you're being so offensive. I find the bolded to be exceptionally ironic.

And you're not "just saying that such a course wouldnt interest me".

I don't understand your vitriol (no wait...I do). You cited that particular course and the "scandal" in some sort of attempt to smear the institution. How come?

Oh you are very defensive, but it is ok.

I dont care if you are a kook fundy or a dominionist and I dont care if you love the Koch Brothers, Castle Rock Foundation, the Bill and Berniece Grewcock Foundation, etc. You can be whoever you want to be and it is fine with me. No need to get upset because you went to or love Hillsdale College.

Just dont be surprised that someone felt the need to point out that this "course" and the school providing it are not exactly "balanced" and may have a bias or two going on. The scandal was just some interesting trivia about the place.

Oh you are very defensive, but it is ok. I dont care if you are a kook fundy or a dominionist and I dont care if you love the Koch Brothers, Castle Rock Foundation, the Bill and Berniece Grewcock Foundation, etc. You can be whoever you want to be and it is fine with me. No need to get upset because you went to or love Hillsdale College.Just dont be surprised that someone felt the need to point out that this "course" and the school providing it are not exactly "balanced" and may have a bias or two going on. The scandal was just some interesting trivia about the place.

It's not balanced and teaches from a decidedly conservative approach.But again, why the hate?

Oh you are very defensive, but it is ok. I dont care if you are a kook fundy or a dominionist and I dont care if you love the Koch Brothers, Castle Rock Foundation, the Bill and Berniece Grewcock Foundation, etc. You can be whoever you want to be and it is fine with me. No need to get upset because you went to or love Hillsdale College.Just dont be surprised that someone felt the need to point out that this "course" and the school providing it are not exactly "balanced" and may have a bias or two going on. The scandal was just some interesting trivia about the place.

It's not balanced and teaches from a decidedly conservative approach.But again, why the hate?
What hate?

What hate?
The "kook fundy" and the need to cite a course title (even though you clearly didn't have any idea of the content) and the citation of the scandal in an attempt to paint Hillsdale in a negative light part.Reread what you wrote and tell me if you don't think you sound angry.

That looks like a fun debate. We could humiliate the constitutionalists like Dufresne.

Your discussion goal is to humiliate the opposition?
Just a little joke, gb. We've both been here for over nine years, by now I would hope that I don't seem like that kind of guy.

That looks like a fun debate. We could humiliate the constitutionalists like Dufresne.

Just a little joke, gb. We've both been here for over nine years, by now I would hope that I don't seem like that kind of guy.
Just stirring the pot. :P

What hate?
The "kook fundy" and the need to cite a course title (even though you clearly didn't have any idea of the content) and the citation of the scandal in an attempt to paint Hillsdale in a negative light part.Reread what you wrote and tell me if you don't think you sound angry.
I reread what I wrote and I am fine with it--some of it was even mildly funny. Some people see Hillsdale in a negative light and the scandal is an integral part of Hillsdale history. I am very sorry you dont like that. Like I said, I didnt come in here with the goal of being overly critical of Hillsdale, but your ultra hyper defensiveness is very amusing and you clearly have a need to jump with both feet on any perceived criticism of Hillsdale. So jump away. Work it out. You will feel better.You are familiar with all of the funders of Hillsdale, right?

I reread what I wrote and I am fine with it--some of it was even mildly funny. Some people see Hillsdale in a negative light and the scandal is an integral part of Hillsdale history. I am very sorry you dont like that. Like I said, I didnt come in here with the goal of being overly critical of Hillsdale, but your ultra hyper defensiveness is very amusing and you clearly have a need to jump with both feet on any perceived criticism of Hillsdale. So jump away. Work it out. You will feel better.You are familiar with all of the funders of Hillsdale, right?

All I've done is ask you questions. :shrug:

Even roadkill was put off by your strangely serious kneejerk defensiveness....Maybe I am just stirring the pot . :POh wait, noone is allowed to stir the Hillsdale pot....

Even roadkill was put off by your strangely serious kneejerk defensiveness....Maybe I am just stirring the pot . :POh wait, noone is allowed to stir the Hillsdale pot....
I never said that. I'm just wondering why you feel the need.

Besides not taking federal funding, what is it about Hillsdale that makes it "conservative?"
Well I know the college has always had a policy of non-discrimination and I am pretty sure it has always been a supporter of small government. But the current rise of conservative love for Hillsdale has to do with the Federal funding thing. It traces back to the 70s when the Federal government, using the argument that because some students were receiving Federal money the college had to comply with all Federal mandates. The one that set Hillsdale off was the requirement that all colleges and universities would begin counting the number of students by race. Considering the fact that Hillsdale had led the nation with their non-discrimination policy (taking black students since their founding, second college in the nation to grant four year degrees to women etc) they were stunned that the Feds would find it necessary for them to comply with what the college considered to be an intrusive and superfluous mandate so Hillsdale told the Feds to pound sand. The Feds insisted and Hillsdale took their fight all the way to the Supreme Court and when Hillsdale lost the decision they withdrew from all Federal funding, again telling the Feds to pound sand.Hillsdale takes that whole "All men are created equal" thing very seriously and a lot of fiscal, small government conservatives were paying attention and applauded Hillsdale's stance, particularly the courage it took to walk away from Federal aide. As a result conservatives really began sending their children there in droves.

Dont get all hyper literal on me. Thats the last bastion and defense of the humorless.Andy, I cant make it any more clear. I accept you. Just as you are. I am very tolerant. I have made it very clear that even if you are--and I am not saying you are, but only if--a kook fundy or a dominionist, I still accept you and think you are ok. I love the sinner, though I may hate their sin. I think you need to love yourself a little more, and more often.

Dont get all hyper literal on me. Thats the last bastion and defense of the humorless.Andy, I cant make it any more clear. I accept you. Just as you are. I am very tolerant. I have made it very clear that even if you are--and I am not saying you are, but only if--a kook fundy or a dominionist, I still accept you and think you are ok. I love the sinner, though I may hate their sin. I think you need to love yourself a little more, and more often.
So you're not going to answer the question?

Oh you are very defensive, but it is ok.

I dont care if you are a kook fundy or a dominionist and I dont care if you love the Koch Brothers, Castle Rock Foundation, the Bill and Berniece Grewcock Foundation, etc. You can be whoever you want to be and it is fine with me. No need to get upset because you went to or love Hillsdale College.

Just dont be surprised that someone felt the need to point out that this "course" and the school providing it are not exactly "balanced" and may have a bias or two going on. The scandal was just some interesting trivia about the place.

It's not balanced and teaches from a decidedly conservative approach.

But again, why the hate?

What hate?
The "kook fundy" and the need to cite a course title (even though you clearly didn't have any idea of the content) and the citation of the scandal in an attempt to paint Hillsdale in a negative light part.

Reread what you wrote and tell me if you don't think you sound angry.

I reread what I wrote and I am fine with it--some of it was even mildly funny. Some people see Hillsdale in a negative light and the scandal is an integral part of Hillsdale history. I am very sorry you dont like that. Like I said, I didnt come in here with the goal of being overly critical of Hillsdale, but your ultra hyper defensiveness is very amusing and you clearly have a need to jump with both feet on any perceived criticism of Hillsdale. So jump away. Work it out. You will feel better.

You are familiar with all of the funders of Hillsdale, right?

You are familiar with the fact that Hillsdale isn't going to let anyone dictate their curriculum, right?

Archived