What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Rueben Randle? (1 Viewer)

sportsmonkey_j

Footballguy
I've seen so many rankings and draft boards that have Randle rated really high and I just want to hear opinions as to why.

I havent seen that much footage of him but I understand he is "pro ready." Am I the only one who thinks his situation sucks? I know the Giants have a pass heavy offense, but he is the WR3 behind two young studs (Nicks, Cruz). Neither of these guys are going anywhere for a long time and Randle could be the WR3 for the entirety of his rookie contract. He was the 9th receiver drafted, so his talents arent that much better than a lot of the guys who are ranked lower in FF and many of those guys have higher ceilings it seems.

I think I might lean towards some of the other guys who have the potential to be the WR1 in their offense, or at least WR2.

Blackmon/Floyd aside since we know their talent level is tiers above the rest.

Quick - WR 1/2

Wright - 1/2

Hill 1/2

Jeffrey - WR2

Sanu 2/3

Any thoughts?

I like him. For me it comes down to quality. As much as I'd like to get players in good situations, I'd rather have a good player in a crap situation than a crap player in a good situation. I believe Randle is a good player. Good height. Fluid runner. Quick after the catch. Productive. Can beat people deep or short.

The situation does not appear to be ideal, but who knows what will happen with contracts, injuries, trades, etc? A lot can change in a hurry. That is the nature of the NFL. If I have two players rated evenly, I will take the player with the better immediate opportunity. But if I have players in different tiers, I Will draft the better talent and let situation solve itself over time.

I don't think NYG is that bad for him. I think he will play a lot as a rookie. Long term, who knows? He's only 20 years old, so even if he plays out his entire 4 year rookie contract he will still be very young when he hits the market.

I think the talent is there with this guy. He came from a run first team with no QB to get him the ball. With that said, as a NYer, I would never take him in a rookie draft. There are too many Giants fans in my league that are targeting him and he will be over drafted. I will target him in a trade next year when the owner is down on him bc he didn't put up WR1/2 numbers as a rookie.

Talent and only 21 (in a few days). Assuming the worst case scenario he will be a 25 yo free agent with 4 years of experience with the Giants.

I think you will have to overpay for him now based on where he went. I'm not sure you can write off Jernigan at this point. I guess it will come down to if Randle looks good enough outside to use cruz more in the slot or if Jernigan looks good enough in the slot to use Cruz outside. Whichever stands out more will likely dictate a lot.

Rueben Randle is good at everything, but not great at any one thing(he could still improve in these areas however).

-Smooth player

-Fast/quick enough for the NFL

-Good hands

-Can fight for jump balls

-Solid after the catch

-Decent route runner

-High recruit out of HS

-Played a big role in a big time college program

He was the 9th receiver drafted, so his talents arent that much better than a lot of the guys who are ranked lower in FF and many of those guys have higher ceilings it seems.

Any thoughts?
You really should be losing this mindset on when a player is/was selected.
Exactly, some WRs don't fit an offensive system/scheme and that's why they were looked over or they weren't a need for that team, but a little speedy guy was, etc.

He was the 9th receiver drafted, so his talents arent that much better than a lot of the guys who are ranked lower in FF and many of those guys have higher ceilings it seems.

Any thoughts?
You really should be losing this mindset on when a player is/was selected.
I agree, but the last time there were 9 WR drafted in the first two rounds the Giants selected Steve Smith as the 9th receiver.

Thought Randle was a great BPA pick. Situations can change fast in NFL, and the Giants have proven to plug and play WRs and get some good stats from them.

I agree with the original poster. 2 elite wrs ahead of him who are very young and not leaving to go anywhere else soon. I've seen a lot of love for him on the forums but not with nfl teams so I'm leery that is talent level is that great either. I've seen him put at the end of the first round right now and IMO that's way too high after he went to the giants. Even if he's talented enough there's a good chance he doesn't start for 5 years.

I thought his situation actually improved Randle's value. The Giants have had 3 decent statistical WRs the last few years. Nicks/Smith/Manningham and then later Nicks/Cruz/Manningham. I think Randle is better than Manningham for sure. Eli is still going to put up 3000-4000 yards for a few more years.

Thought Randle was a great BPA pick. Situations can change fast in NFL, and the Giants have proven to plug and play WRs and get some good stats from them.
:goodposting: Nicks has had injury issues in the past. Cruz is underpaid and if he has another great year, may be moved if the Giants balk at his asking price. Nicks is still on his rookie deal I think and he may demand more money as well. I think the opportunity is there for Randle. Just may have to wait until next year to see where the cards fall. But I suspect he'll get some opportunities this year. Randle has ability and that is what I would look at instead of concentrating on immediate opportunity.

Coughlin is hard on Rookies, but to me, if he can catch the ball, which remains to be seen, the Giants need someone to fill the Mario Manningham role and with respect to the Hagan's and Barden's of the world, I dare say Randle based on size and skills is the best guy to fill that role. Of course, I'm still hoping for a plaxico reunion and this team would go win 15 games with those offensive weapons

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Randle because he's one of those players that always seemed to play under control and made things look easy. I believe Cosell likened him to Hakeem Nicks actually and I saw similar traits. One thing that I think Randle was very good at was maintaining his balance going up for the catch, allowing for good YAC. Curiously enough it's something I think both Nicks and Cruz excel at.

:goodposting: Nicks has had injury issues in the past. Cruz is underpaid and if he has another great year, may be moved if the Giants balk at his asking price. Nicks is still on his rookie deal I think and he may demand more money as well. I think the opportunity is there for Randle. Just may have to wait until next year to see where the cards fall. But I suspect he'll get some opportunities this year. Randle has ability and that is what I would look at instead of concentrating on immediate opportunity.
This is the angle I haven't heard people talk about. Like the Steelers dealing with Wallace they may just let Cruz walk if Randle looks good.

Rueben Randle is good at everything, but not great at any one thing(he could still improve in these areas however).-Smooth player-Fast/quick enough for the NFL-Good hands-Can fight for jump balls-Solid after the catch-Decent route runner-High recruit out of HS-Played a big role in a big time college program
i think thats the same read on Brandon Lafell. hopefully Randle grabs the reins quicker

All else being equal I'd rather have AJ Jenkins, both are very talented players but one overcame his awful QB situation and the other did not. Randle's in a great situation for the type of player he is, but at best I see a WR3 here. I doubt I'd ever feel good about going into the season with Randle as my #2.

Rueben Randle is good at everything, but not great at any one thing(he could still improve in these areas however).-Smooth player-Fast/quick enough for the NFL-Good hands-Can fight for jump balls-Solid after the catch-Decent route runner-High recruit out of HS-Played a big role in a big time college program
i think thats the same read on Brandon Lafell. hopefully Randle grabs the reins quicker
Lafell was 3 years older than Randle as a rookie. They both had very similar combines, but FWIW Randle ran a 4.42 at his Pro Day compared to Lafell's 4.54.

This is the angle I haven't heard people talk about. Like the Steelers dealing with Wallace they may just let Cruz walk if Randle looks good.
I don't see this happening. The Giants are VERY high on Cruz and also recongnize his popularity with the fan base. I'm confident both Cruz and Nicks will get contract extensions however if you forced me to say which one the Giants would let walk I'd say Nicks simply due to the high number of nagging injuries he's had. Guy can't seem to stay 100%. Good news is he seemingly plays through the injuries but in a few years as a veteran that might be tougher to do. That being said I really think the Giants lock up both of these guys.

I see Randle in the same as R. Cobb GB. The talent is there, and they are part of an explosive offense, but you just have to wait it out for the opportunity. If you have a Fantasy team that is very strong and have no need for rookie talent to step in right away this is the type of player you pick in the rookie draft so you dominate team stays dominate in 3-4 years down the road.

I don't see this happening. The Giants are VERY high on Cruz and also recongnize his popularity with the fan base. I'm confident both Cruz and Nicks will get contract extensions however if you forced me to say which one the Giants would let walk I'd say Nicks simply due to the high number of nagging injuries he's had. Guy can't seem to stay 100%. Good news is he seemingly plays through the injuries but in a few years as a veteran that might be tougher to do. That being said I really think the Giants lock up both of these guys.
Arent they tight against the cap right now, and thats with both Nicks and Cruz being on rookie deals and underpaid, especially the latter??? I think Randle was a BPA pick (and I was shocked at some of the WRs that went before him) but I also think they Giants realize it will be very difficult to keep both their star WRs longterm. If Randle shows promise this year or next, it may even be more likely they let one go.Regardless, the #3 WR in this offense is viable in FF, so I think Randle is a solid pick by all accounts.

Just not seeing it with Randle. He's probably a useful NFL player as long as he's not facing #1 corners or double-teams (which he obviously would never see with the NYGs), but don't think he'll be a consistent FF asset.

The WR3 on a team without much at TE, isn't too different than a WR2 on a team with a good TE. And who knows? Hakeem Nicks could blow out his Achilles in week 2.

Isn't Rueben spelled Reuben? How does a guy spell his own name wrong? oh wait... LSU.
Reuben is the Hebrew spelling (and my favorite sandwich) and Rueben (or Ruben) is the Spanish spelling.
Dropping the knowledge :thumbup:
NYG might have the most hispanic WR corps ever if they get rid of Nicks. What would they call it?!I was thinking Cruz & the Conquistador but Im sure there's better, especially for a duo.

The WR3 on a team without much at TE, isn't too different than a WR2 on a team with a good TE. And who knows? Hakeem Nicks could blow out his Achilles in week 2.
Yes, but when that TE is known to excel at blocking and the team drafts a RB in the 1st, it may also suggest that the team plans to run alot more this year so that should be taken into account because it could temper the expectations in the passing game all the way around. I'm not saying that is likely but you never know.Over the past few years with steve smith and then Manningham (a small bit) and Cruz, it seems to me that one of the things the giants really want to do is use that slot receiver a lot. I don't know if that is because they feel like most of their divisional opponents can't defend it well or if it forces those defenses to do things they don't like to do or what, but that position has made FF stars for a few years now, so instead of looking at it like "Randle could be like "x" player", I'm looking at it like "Who are the Giants most likely to use in that position?"I think barden's time has come and gone and Hixon I'm unsure of. Jernigan looks like that type of guy but Cruz obviously excels at it. I still think the answer to that question dictates everything else. If Randle comes in and can play so well that they can use Cruz in the slot, then I think Randle gets a boost. If jernigan plays so well in the slot they can move Cruz out, then I think Jernigan gets the boost. Also, because Nicks DOES seem to take on these dings that hurts him from time to time, randle seems the more natural guy to move to that spot if needed. So I guess I'm seeing situational benefit to havign all these guys this year.

It doesn't matter if they are high on Cruz, if he puts in another big year they won't be able to pay both he and Nicks (who's also underpaid) without dismantling the team around them. Randle is insurance against this likely scenario. Great draft by Reese to keep this offense going for the next 5 or so years.

'Jed said:
It doesn't matter if they are high on Cruz, if he puts in another big year they won't be able to pay both he and Nicks (who's also underpaid) without dismantling the team around them. Randle is insurance against this likely scenario. Great draft by Reese to keep this offense going for the next 5 or so years.
Agreed that it was a good draft adding pieces to possibly replace guys down the road.It is quite apparent thought that Eli makes all of these guys pretty good. Read a ridiculous stat that almost 40 percent of the time Eli was pressured last year which easily lead the league. The fact he was able to throw for 5000 yards in those circumstances is beyond amazing.

At first glance, I didn't like his situation very much. After reading some of the posts in this thread, I now don't feel it is too bad in the short-run... and in the long-run who knows what could happen. Ultimately, I like his skill set and size.

This is my take: I don't think the Giants really try to concentrate on using "the slot guy" to get maximum value. I think they look at their talent and see that they need to go to the slot, b/c that is basically what they have had since Amani Toomer left and not until the arrival of HNicks did they have another down-the-field type of guy. From SSmith to MM to even Victor Cruz, its been nothing but slot guys. I think that changes a bit over time here and Cruz, actually stays in the slot. I think Cruz' stats won't ever be what they were again last year, in the same way that LRobinson won't ever put up stats like he did last year. Manningham was atrocious to start the year last year and Eli just had to go elsewhere, that is where Cruz stepped up. MM saved his #### when he made that insane SB catch and thus landed an OK deal in SF. Either way, I think this situation will evolve to a more potent passing attack as you will have RR and Nicks on the outside with Cruz in the slot, but in a more diminished role where he will get 700-900 yards a year and the other guys are the ones to get the big stats.

This is my take: I don't think the Giants really try to concentrate on using "the slot guy" to get maximum value. I think they look at their talent and see that they need to go to the slot, b/c that is basically what they have had since Amani Toomer left and not until the arrival of HNicks did they have another down-the-field type of guy. From SSmith to MM to even Victor Cruz, its been nothing but slot guys. I think that changes a bit over time here and Cruz, actually stays in the slot. I think Cruz' stats won't ever be what they were again last year, in the same way that LRobinson won't ever put up stats like he did last year. Manningham was atrocious to start the year last year and Eli just had to go elsewhere, that is where Cruz stepped up. MM saved his #### when he made that insane SB catch and thus landed an OK deal in SF. Either way, I think this situation will evolve to a more potent passing attack as you will have RR and Nicks on the outside with Cruz in the slot, but in a more diminished role where he will get 700-900 yards a year and the other guys are the ones to get the big stats.
Cruz got the vast majority of his yards/receptions in the slot last year...I dont think Randle will be diminishing his role no matter where he's at on the field.

Cruz got the vast majority of his yards/receptions in the slot last year...I dont think Randle will be diminishing his role no matter where he's at on the field.
I guess what I am saying is that Randle>>Cruz>>>>Manningham, but IMO. I agree that Cruz won't be leaving the slot, just saying over time I can see his production decrease because Eli won't rely on Cruz as much b/c Randle is a huge upgrade over Manningham.

I guess what I am saying is that Randle>>Cruz>>>>Manningham, but IMO. I agree that Cruz won't be leaving the slot, just saying over time I can see his production decrease because Eli won't rely on Cruz as much b/c Randle is a huge upgrade over Manningham.
I like Randle but there's no guarantees he turns out better than Manningham. I think he will likely out produce what Manningham did most years, but I think youre underestimating Cruz. He's the real deal.ETA: I guess its easy to say his production will decrease because he got 1600yds last year, but I think he's going to year in, year out get 1100+/6+

I like Randle but there's no guarantees he turns out better than Manningham. I think he will likely out produce what Manningham did most years, but I think youre underestimating Cruz. He's the real deal.ETA: I guess its easy to say his production will decrease because he got 1600yds last year, but I think he's going to year in, year out get 1100+/6+
I don't think that the odds of this are as high as you state. Prior to his injury-marred 2011 campaign, Manningham had seasons of 57/822/5 and 60/944/9. As a Randle owner, I would be absolutely thrilled with that level of production in the first few seasons of his career.

Looks like Reuben will be falling to me in my 32 team dynasty draft. This is ok because I have Cruz on my team so the back up there is nice. I just hope Reuben can put up the points that Manningham did. I aimed for Alshon but got shot down. and I dont trust Hill, so Reuben it is...I could go with Quick...but I don't feel the trade up for him.

Arent they tight against the cap right now, and thats with both Nicks and Cruz being on rookie deals and underpaid, especially the latter??? I think Randle was a BPA pick (and I was shocked at some of the WRs that went before him) but I also think they Giants realize it will be very difficult to keep both their star WRs longterm. If Randle shows promise this year or next, it may even be more likely they let one go.Regardless, the #3 WR in this offense is viable in FF, so I think Randle is a solid pick by all accounts.
Osi is on the last year of his contract and probably won't be re-signed, that frees up space.

Cruz will stay in the slot. Gilbride has said his system is difficult to pick-up, hopefully Randle doesn't miss time with injury. I think teams will look to cover Nicks and Cruz, opting to have the Giants try to beat them with Randle and Bennett. Despite that, I don't expect more than 600 yards and 5 TDs for Randle this year. If he catches on quick he could do 800/7 but that is more what I'd expect next season.

Osi is on the last year of his contract and probably won't be re-signed, that frees up space.
They are still going to have a tough time re-signing both Cruz and Nicks. My gut tells me that they'll put a 1st round tender on Cruz next year and give Nicks a long-term deal. This assumes that Randle looks good enough for them to do that.

I should've been more specific. I do think both wideouts will get offers for longer term deals from the Giants but it won't happen until after this season due to the lack of cap space.

I should've been more specific. I do think both wideouts will get offers for longer term deals from the Giants but it won't happen until after this season due to the lack of cap space.
I don't doubt that they'll make Cruz an offer but like Wallace it likely won't be close to what he wants.

Kevin Gilbride Talks Giants: Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride addressed fans at Southern Connecticut State University yesterday. Here are some tidbits he revealed during a Q&A session with the audience:

As of now at wide receiver, Hakeem Nicks will remain outside with Victor Cruz in the slot in three wide receiver sets. “(The slot receiver) was what Cruz was this year,” Gilbride said. “He can play the outside, but he was much more proficient inside.” The Giants will be looking for one of the other veteran receivers such as Ramses Barden, Jerrel Jernigan, and Domenik Hixon to compete with rookie Rueben Randle for the other outside spot. Gilbride said Jernigan will have to adapt to being more of an outside receiver. “You need that third guy,” Gilbride said. “Hopefully, if not one of our returning veterans, Randle will be able to give us what we’re looking for.”

On the offensive line, Gilbride said the team hasn’t made a decision yet on where everyone will play, but said the most likely lineup would have David Diehl at right tackle, Chris Snee at right guard, David Baas at center, Kevin Booth at left guard, and Will Beatty at left tackle. “That would certainly seem to be the most likely way to do it,” Gilbride said. “Those are your five guys starting…You have five starters but you got to get some guys behind that come to the forefront in case one of them goes down…There were too many changes and injuries with the guys (last season) so we never really meshed. We got better as the season went on and the playoffs we got it going a bit. Right now, to be honest, we’re throwing the ball so well that it opens up opportunities for the running game.

On newcomer TE Martellus Bennett: “I think he has the chance to be a very good all-around player; blocker, receiver, the whole bit,” Gilbride said. “He just hasn’t done it to the satisfaction of the Dallas people. We look at him and we see as a guy that physically has the chance to be very good.”

Users who are viewing this thread