What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs that are better than the original (1 Viewer)

With all due respect to CCR, the Foo Fighters'

is as good as the original, and may be a bit better. Its a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

Original by Nine Inch Nails
:goodposting:
See...I love Cash and all...but I think that is one of the most overrated covers of all time.I dig the orginal and was never a fan of Cash's version.
I always found Cash's version to be a lot more "authentic"
More authentic than the author's rendering?
Someone please just say no, it can't be more authentic than the original. Just do this for me so I don't have to have this fight again. I'm sure it's the thread Belljr linked earlier in which I had this same argument before - I don't have the energy to do it again.
Why can't it? The Johnny Cash cover is more authentic. The Trent Reznor version is overly-dramatic and a tad phony IMO.
What? Do you understand what authentic means? This is like saying the Venetian hotel in Vegas is more authentic than Venice because Venice has some weird smells floating around it and there are bums on the street corners.
I'm only referring to how the song is performed. Cash's performance is more authentic IMO.
It cannot be. You can LIKE it better, but it's not more authentic. This is the equivalent of you writing a poem about the darkest, most despairing moment of your life. Imagine you were teetering on the brink of suicide and poured those emotions out on to paper. It was everything you were, the most intense emotional experience of your life. You had the stones to go on the air (imagine the world cared about what you or I was going through, not just famous people) and read this poem. Then, a year or so later, Morgan Freeman re-read it at an inaugural address or something. And America said - "The Freeman reading was so much more authentic. I wasn't really buying it when medium aristotle read that poem, it rang hollow and seemed like the emotion was artificial. But when Morgan Freeman read it... man. You could really tell those words were about him."That's what you're saying. If someone said - "It's a really great poem, but I think it sounds better in Morgan Freeman's voice", you couldn't argue with that. It's an opinion. But for someone to say your words were more authentic coming out of someone else's mouth? Would you really accept that?

^

More authentic than EG's version.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

See...I love Cash and all...but I think that is one of the most overrated covers of all time.I dig the orginal and was never a fan of Cash's version.
Someone please just say no, it can't be more authentic than the original. Just do this for me so I don't have to have this fight again. I'm sure it's the thread Belljr linked earlier in which I had this same argument before - I don't have the energy to do it again.
Why can't it? The Johnny Cash cover is more authentic. The Trent Reznor version is overly-dramatic and a tad phony IMO.
What? Do you understand what authentic means? This is like saying the Venetian hotel in Vegas is more authentic than Venice because Venice has some weird smells floating around it and there are bums on the street corners.
I'm only referring to how the song is performed. Cash's performance is more authentic IMO.
it rang hollow and seemed like the emotion was artificial.

A whole ton of Pearl Jam ones:

Sonic Reducer

Crazy Mary

Last Kiss

Heart to Hang Onto

I Got You

It's OK

Masters of War

Lay Lady Lay

At there are some that would be considerd blasphemy to mention, but they are some amazing covers

Rockin In The Free World

Baba O Riley

Love Reign O'er Me

"Light My Fire"/"Roadhouse Blues"/"Break on Through" (Eddie only with remaining members of The Doors)

'Apple Jack said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny CashOriginal by Nine Inch Nails
That is more about Romanek's video and Rick Rubin's song selection than it is with Cash's delivery or anything. Against the backdrop of his life and age, it became something else. But it's about the video.
Yep, when you consider Cash, his life and "the end", and frankly how somber he delivered it, I love it...I like NIN a lot, and am not really a Cash fan, but boy, I would have thought the song was written about him, not that he covered it.

I like Gregg Allman's version of

better than Jackson Browne's original.Allman double-tracked his vocal so he is basically backing himself up on vocals, and he plays the steel guitar.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

Trent Reznor seems to like it:

I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [i felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [i felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure
No, no, no.... maybe Trent Reznor likes the Johnny Cash version of the song better, but there is not way it's as sincere or pure... that would be like some whiny dwooshbag on a message board claiming to be the final arbiter of all things music, forgetting that there were WAY more whiny music-snob dooooshbags before that have been smacked down by Reznors own realization that his song has in fact been replicated... the replication being greater than the replicated.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

No, no, no.... maybe Trent Reznor likes the Johnny Cash version of the song better, but there is not way it's as sincere or pure... that would be like some whiny dwooshbag on a message board claiming to be the final arbiter of all things music, forgetting that there were WAY more whiny music-snob dooooshbags before that have been smacked down by Reznors own realization that his song has in fact been replicated... the replication being greater than the replicated.
Right, but the issue is you're nonsense about a cover that cash neither chose, nor arranged, is authentic, while reznor's is phony. Its the height of not getting it, Jim.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

Me too.

'Apple Jack said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
That is more about Romanek's video and Rick Rubin's song selection than it is with Cash's delivery or anything. Against the backdrop of his life and age, it became something else. But it's about the video.
Not really. It's the voice, it's the guitar. I liked it ten times more than NIN before I ever saw the video. The Dylan ones are tough. I'd put Jimi equal and GnR below. Mad World is a great pick. There's a diamond on the tip of my tongue but I can't place it...

Me and Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin)Original - Roger Miller.
Actually, Kris Kristoferson wrote it, but I agree.The two Dylan covers I prefer to Bob's are Hendrix's Watchtower and the Jerry Garcia Band version of I Shall Be Released from the '91 live release.

I know it's been mentioned, but when I saw this thread the first thing I thought of was Hazy Shade of Winter. Bangles killed it.

I personally like Orgy's version of Blue Monday better than New Order's. Not sure anyone else likes either. :lol:

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Sweet Dreams - Marylin MansonNot a huge Manson fan, but this is better than the original Eurythmics Also, I think this thread has been done before.
Came here to post the same - so here is the linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3yu6kuCkWg&feature=related

'Apple Jack said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
So hard to seperate the two. Unbelievable video. Just unreal...

'zamboni said:
"Blinded By The Light"Manfred Mann's Earth Band > Springsteen
I was so happy to get halfway through this thread and not see this brought up yet. And then you had to go and ruin it.Springsteen's version is miles better.

Rush - Summertime Blues

Dave Matthews Band - All Along the Watchtower

Transatlantic - The Return of the Giant Hogweed (for the ending alone)

'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

it rang hollow and seemed like the emotion was artificial.
From a 1994 Rolling Stone interview, after "The Downward Spiral" was released.

"But I got dragged into a strip club a few months ago," Reznor says, wand it was, like, 1:30 in the morning. To my horror, to my absolute horror, I realized the DJ was playing 'Hurt,' the last track on Downward Spiral and a song based on the most personal sentiments, the deepest emotions I have ever had: 'I hurt myself today/To see if I still feel.' We were crying when we made it, it was so intense. I didn't know if I even wanted to put it on the album. But there we were, and there it was, and girls were taking their clothes off to it."

So, which version is artificial sentiment?

'Apple Jack said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Yep, when you consider Cash, his life and "the end", and frankly how somber he delivered it, I love it...I like NIN a lot, and am not really a Cash fan, but boy, I would have thought the song was written about him, not that he covered it.
You would have thought so, but you would be wrong.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Tiger. I'm not sure where in there you're getting that the replication was greater than the original. "Different, but every bit as pure." First off, of course he's going to say that. What's he going to do, say - "Eh, it sucked"? Maybe he does really love it, and maybe you do too. If you had even said what Reznor said - that the cover is different, but every bit as pure, I might have let that go. You didn't. You said it was "more authentic" and goodposted the statement that the original was hollow and artificial. That's just ignorant.You can argue this all you want, but you look foolish when you start with the name-calling just because you were called out on not having a clue what the word "authentic" means. Let me help you out, here is the published definition of authentic :

1.not false or copied: genuine and original, as opposed to being a fake or reproduction

Read that a few times. Now, let me know if you feel that the REPRODUCTION of the song that Johnny Cash recorded is more authentic than the ORIGINAL song. This isn't about being a "music snob doooooshbag", it's about having a mastery of the English language.

Want to continue your "smackdown"?

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

Right, but the issue is you're nonsense about a cover that cash neither chose, nor arranged, is authentic, while reznor's is phony. Its the height of not getting it, Jim.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread