What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs that are better than the original (3 Viewers)

A whole ton of Pearl Jam ones:Sonic Reducer
I don't care if this post is months old, but it is too horrific to fail to mention. Rocket from the Tombs kicked more ### in the first wave of their brief, under-documented existence than two decades worth of Vedder's affected, sheep-like bleating. Almost no band on earth has come up with anything as singularly awesome as "Sonic Reducer" and it sure as scrotum hasn't been improved upon by Pearl Jam. Your opinion on this matter is incorrect. You are a poor judge of aesthetic execution and artistic intention and you are therefore, by extension, a bad person. Shame on you. Be better.
I chuckled.

A whole ton of Pearl Jam ones:Sonic Reducer
I don't care if this post is months old, but it is too horrific to fail to mention. Rocket from the Tombs kicked more ### in the first wave of their brief, under-documented existence than two decades worth of Vedder's affected, sheep-like bleating. Almost no band on earth has come up with anything as singularly awesome as "Sonic Reducer" and it sure as scrotum hasn't been improved upon by Pearl Jam. Your opinion on this matter is incorrect. You are a poor judge of aesthetic execution and artistic intention and you are therefore, by extension, a bad person. Shame on you. Be better.
I chuckled.
Me too. Also had the added benefit of being true.

Jeff Healy - Angel Eyes (John Hiatt)

Bonnie Raitt - Something to talk about (John Hiatt)

Elton John - Pinball Wizard (The Who)

Boyce Avenue songs better than the originals:

Call Me Maybe

I Want It That Way

Perfect

She Will Be Loved

Their version of Set Fire to the Rain is not better, but very different and, IMO, well done.

The Siouxsie and the Banshees version of Dear Prudence is totally different from the Beatles' but I enjoy them equally.

Jeff Buckley does the best version of "Hallelujah" just ahead of Lenord Cohen.
.... Sandler down?
Brandi Carlile down? My link
That's awful. Everybody except for Rufus and Cohen need to give that song a rest.
Rufus sets the standard, though to be honest my brain-radio cannot tune in Cohen's original. Personally my favorite version is when Rufus is joined by sister Martha, but I've only seen them do it as a fun, sort of whimsical cover. I'd love to hear what she could do with this song solo in the studio.

“You Really Got Me” “Ice Cream Man,” “You’re No Good.” “Pretty Woman” “Where Have All The Good Times Gone;” “Dancing In The Street” “Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)” “Happy Trails,” Little Feat’s “A Apolitcal Blues” on OU812. Did I miss any VH cover songs?

Not a huge fan of this kind of music usually, but kerris dorsey's version of the show from moneyball was pretty awesome. There are a couple youtubes of it, but I love this scene:Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkKCNXbtmcY

Random YouTube cover of an old Status Quo song.... Caroline

song starts at 1:00,...

The piano captures the melody better than the distorted guitar approach of the original

“You Really Got Me”

“Ice Cream Man,”

“You’re No Good.”

“Pretty Woman”

“Where Have All The Good Times Gone;”

“Dancing In The Street”

“Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)”

“Happy Trails,”

Little Feat’s “A Apolitcal Blues” on OU812.

Did I miss any VH cover songs?
In terms of studio recordings, there's also Won't Get Fooled Again.

I can't find a decent version of it online outside of pandora, but Jason Spooner's cover of the Talking Heads 'Slippery People' is amazing.

“You Really Got Me”

“Ice Cream Man,”

“You’re No Good.”

“Pretty Woman”

“Where Have All The Good Times Gone;”

“Dancing In The Street”

“Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)”

“Happy Trails,”

Little Feat’s “A Apolitcal Blues” on OU812.

Did I miss any VH cover songs?
In terms of studio recordings, there's also Won't Get Fooled Again.
I have mixed feelings on this. I agree that it's probably VH's best cover, but I disagree with this as better than the original. Townshend, Daltry and Moon KILLED their version.

Come Together - Aerosmith

Love The Beatles, but I think the Aerosmith version is an improvement.

All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

Dylan's cool. Hendrix is cooler.

Take Me To The River Lyrics - Talking Heads

Can't say a bad word about Al Green. Just like the cover more.

The Green Manilishi With the Two-Pronged Crown - Judas Priest

Yeah, the Fleetwood Mac version is terrible.

Diamonds and Rust - Judas Priest

No knock on Joan Baez, but c'mon. It's Priest!

:goodposting:

U2 and Dave Matthews also have better versions of All Along the Watchtower, although they are live versions only.

Just Win Baby said:
jdoggydogg said:

U2 and Dave Matthews also have better versions of All Along the Watchtower, although they are live versions only.
I'll toss the Fratelli's version in the mix. I think I like it because it shows their versatility.

Just Win Baby said:

I'll toss the Fratelli's version in the mix. I think I like it because it shows their versatility.

yeah, i went there

the guitars are really cool

Just Win Baby said:
jdoggydogg said:

Dave Mason has a pretty decent cover of "All Along the Watchtower" as well. I still like Dylan's version the best though.

Users who are viewing this thread