What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Weeden (1 Viewer)

jurb26

Footballguy
So, here is a guy who was drafted 22nd overall by a team in desperate need of a QB. His age seems to be one of the largest knocks on him as he enters the NFL at 28. He's got all the physical tools of a starting NFL QB, perhaps a franchise QB. He's surrounded by a solid Oline and now what many consider to be an elite RB. I think he starts from day one in Clev but McCoy is still in the hunt. Early reports are glowing, but then again when aren't they? What's the SP think about Brandon Weeden this year? Personally, I'm fully on board. I don't expect great numbers but I think he could make for a solid back up fantasy QB and you can land him as your 3rd QB.

Link

BEREA, Ohio -- No one can say whether Brandon Weeden is going to lead the Cleveland Browns from the ranks of the worst teams in the NFL. No one, and this includes Mike Holmgren as well as Pat Shurmur, can declare that Weeden is going to stop the Browns' quarterback carousel that has spanned 16 starters since the city's return to the NFL in 1999.

But, after 40 days and 10 practices with the Browns, there is one assessment of Weeden that everyone can agree upon: The rookie first-round pick has the look of a franchise quarterback.

It only takes one practice to see how Weeden has the size and the arm to live up to that billing. The building excitement with Weeden comes from the fact that his potential extends beyond physical gifts.

He has the comfort level to tell quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple about a couple of red-zone plays he "wasn't a big fan of." He has the courage to throw a deep touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin after nearly getting picked off. He has the confidence to tell reporters about his goal of winning a Super Bowl even before taking a snap in a regular-season game.

While it's way too early to predict Weeden winning championships, he has brought hope to a franchise that has recorded 10 double-digit loss seasons and no playoff victories over the past 13 years. Everyone else in the AFC North went to the postseason last season, and everyone in the division has a franchise quarterback. The only way the Browns can get out of last place is to find one of their own. That's why Weeden is the crucial piece of the Holmgren era in Cleveland.

Browns officials haven't named Weeden the starter because they want him to earn the job. Technically, he's battling Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace. Unofficially, the Browns' mandatory minicamp this week has served more as a coronation than a competition.

Weeden took the first snaps with the starting offense throughout Tuesday's practice. He was the quarterback standing at the podium addressing reporters after the workout. He looks like "the guy" in Cleveland, even though Weeden himself refuses to acknowledge it.

"Not yet, just because nothing is formal," Weeden said. "We're still two months out until we play our first preseason game. I'm still working my tail off just to get better and keep learning. I'm getting more comfortable with what we are doing, but I still have a long ways to go."

The most overused term with Weeden is that he's mature. This has become a polite way to say Weeden is old. He'll turn 29 during the season, which makes him the Betty White of rookie quarterbacks.

[+] Enlarge

David Richard/US PresswireFrom his big arm to his confidence, Brandon Weeden is the picture of the franchise QB the Browns are aching for.

The better description for Weeden is he's grounded. He hasn't been coddled like many first-round quarterbacks. He has tasted failure as a minor-league pitcher (he went 19-26 after being drafted in the same round as Joey Votto) and only became a winning quarterback at Oklahoma State after making the climb from a third-stringer.

Weeden understands what it takes to rebound from struggles, which will serve him well this year. All rookie quarterbacks make mistakes. The successful ones don't crumble from them.

Weeden's resiliency came through Tuesday when a miscommunication with Josh Cribbs led to an interception. He came right back to hit Mohamed Massaquoi on a deep cross pattern.

"I won't make that same mistake again and if I do, shame on me," he said "I think you guys will find I'm pretty even-keeled, but I think my track record shows -- I put that one behind me. They always say, 'Wash your hands and move on.' That's kind of the approach I take, and that comes from baseball. I gave up a lot of home runs in baseball and they're very similar. So you've just got to toe the rubber, you've got to take snaps and move on and make the next play."

Shurmur was reluctant to give any glowing remarks about Weeden on Tuesday. It was kind of a game to watch him turn questions specifically about Weeden into answers that addressed the entire quarterback group.

He was even hesitant to put a timetable on naming the starting quarterback. "I think it's important to do it as quickly as possible," Shurmur said. "But yet, it needs to happen at a pace where the guys here have a chance to compete."

If Weeden's progression since his first practice on May 11 is any indication, he'll be ready to start against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 9.

"I'm leap years farther along right now than I was obviously Day 1, Day 2," Weeden said. "I think even from rookie minicamp, where I'm at right now is that I look like two totally different quarterbacks -- in my footwork, and you can tell I'm processing stuff a little bit faster and I'm not thinking quite as much."

Weeden added, "When you stop thinking so much and you just react and go through your reads one, two, three to your back, that's when you start moving the ball down the field and start getting completions and first downs."

Moving the ball down the field in short chunks isn't Weeden's forte. What stood out about him in Tuesday's practice was the amount of deep shots he took.

"Sometimes in this West Coast offense it can get labeled as an underneath route, catch-and-run route [scheme]," Weeden said, "but any time you can really step into one and let it rip, that's fun."

Weeden is entering the NFL at a time when expectations for rookie quarterbacks are at an all-time high.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco led their teams to the playoffs in their first seasons in 2008. Mark Sanchez helped the Jets to the AFC championship as a rookie in 2009. And Cam Newton threw for over 4,000 yards and Andy Dalton went to the Pro Bowl last year.

This doesn't faze a quarterback like Weeden, who has already said he wants to win a Super Bowl before he's done playing.

"We put the pressure on ourselves to win games," Weeden said. "We want to get to the playoffs. We want to take our team as far as we can. That's the way good quarterbacks should think."

That's exactly the way franchise quarterbacks should talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be happy drafting Weeden as a bye week QB in the middle/late rounds. He should be accurate and productive right away. my concern about weeden is the weapons or lack thereof. Who does he have to throw to?

I would be happy drafting Weeden as a bye week QB in the middle/late rounds. He should be accurate and productive right away. my concern about weeden is the weapons or lack thereof. Who does he have to throw to?
That's a good question and a valid concern. I'm really not sure to be honest with you. I'm also not a fan of the weapons in Clev as far as the passing game goes. Many are high on Little as an up and coming WR. I'm not so sure on him but can see the reason for optimisim. What I do like however is that Clev ranked 11th in the NFL last year in passing attempts. Despite all of those attempts Clev only mangaed just over 3,000 yds and 16 TDs. So, if Weeden really does prove to be more accurate and more efficient it would seem there is a great opportunity to grow these numbers. Now seeing that they added Richardson maybe the attempts go down a bit. I don't think Richardson will be a bad thing for Weeden in the end though because he will take a lot of the pressure off and just by his success drives should be sustained more.

If we're talking about his short-term prospects (redraft), I think his age could actually be a positive thing, not a knock against him. From age 22 to 28 there can be a huge difference in maturity level, confidence, leadership skills, and other intangible things like that which are very important aspects of the QB position. I can see him having Andy Dalton type numbers and finishing in the middle of the pack, probably around QB14 by season's end. A solid backup.

He might make the Browns better, but I don't see him doing much for anyone's fantasy team. Rookie + crappy receiving options + run-heavy offense = no thanks.

He's an instant asset on your FF team as a secondary QB and an ideal guy to have if you have a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc, type as a one-week filler.

You may see a lot of people in forums like this putting it down but that's just because of his age. In REAL life (where it matters), they know the deal.

Its commonly been stated that you don't take a team with the needs that the Browns had, and draft a QB in the first round and then not play him. So he's gonna be the guy from Week 1. And the Browns don't have to look any farther than their own division to see its merits. The Bengals drafted a player in the 2nd last year and put him out there and it worked out fine so the first rounder is going to get his chance. Yes, the Bengals have AJ Green and Gresham, but the Browns have a better o-line, a better RB, a better Defense and ST, and Little and the TEs might be better than people think. Its like the Indy situation: Guys like Reggie wayne and Dallas clark go from all-pros to ??? when you have a garbage QB throwing to them. McCoy out. Weeden in and give him his shot.

He's an instant asset on your FF team as a secondary QB and an ideal guy to have if you have a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc, type as a one-week filler. You may see a lot of people in forums like this putting it down but that's just because of his age. In REAL life (where it matters), they know the deal.Its commonly been stated that you don't take a team with the needs that the Browns had, and draft a QB in the first round and then not play him. So he's gonna be the guy from Week 1. And the Browns don't have to look any farther than their own division to see its merits. The Bengals drafted a player in the 2nd last year and put him out there and it worked out fine so the first rounder is going to get his chance. Yes, the Bengals have AJ Green and Gresham, but the Browns have a better o-line, a better RB, a better Defense and ST, and Little and the TEs might be better than people think. Its like the Indy situation: Guys like Reggie wayne and Dallas clark go from all-pros to ??? when you have a garbage QB throwing to them. McCoy out. Weeden in and give him his shot.
This is pretty much how I see it. Weeden is a guy who could very quietly put up a QB14 - QB18 seasons in fantasy without hardly any press or attention behind it.

I am not a fan. His footwork is sloppy, his decision making is poor, he constantly throws into coverage making his star (college) receivers bail him out, and I don't think he sees the field well. I don't have any issues with his age.

That said, he will be the starting QB week 1, he can make all the throws, the coaching staff is asking him to go downfield often, he has the full backing of the regime unlike Colt, he has a short memory (necessary given his mistake prone nature), he is in an offense that will be favoring the pass and often throwing in the 4th quarter to play catch up, and his weapons are better than given credit for - the one exception being Massaquoi, he's awful.

No way would I draft him in redraft, but I'll consider picking him up to cover a bye week if need be and the matchup makes sense. Dynasty, I hope to avoid him, as I said long term not a fan. As a Browns fan I hope I'm wrong. If you have a questionable QB corps I think you have to make the dart throw but I'm sitting on Rivers-RB3 in one and Romo-Bradford-Luck in the other so I never considered him.

He might make the Browns better, but I don't see him doing much for anyone's fantasy team. Rookie + crappy receiving options + run-heavy offense = no thanks.
With the exception of Little, the receiving talent for the Browns is at TE. Ben Watson could get cut since Evan Moore and Jordan Cameron are ready to 'step up' as the passing threats. I believe Cameron has the the talent to be a stud TE and expect a big year from him. With all that said, it won't be a high flying passing game and will revolve around Richardson. However, Richardson is going to take a lot of pressure off Weeden and he should be able to pass for 20+ TD's, albeit with probably 15 INT's to go along with them. If your league doesn't penalize INT's much he could end up as a high QB2 this year.

He's an instant asset on your FF team as a secondary QB and an ideal guy to have if you have a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc, type as a one-week filler. You may see a lot of people in forums like this putting it down but that's just because of his age. In REAL life (where it matters), they know the deal.Its commonly been stated that you don't take a team with the needs that the Browns had, and draft a QB in the first round and then not play him. So he's gonna be the guy from Week 1. And the Browns don't have to look any farther than their own division to see its merits. The Bengals drafted a player in the 2nd last year and put him out there and it worked out fine so the first rounder is going to get his chance. Yes, the Bengals have AJ Green and Gresham, but the Browns have a better o-line, a better RB, a better Defense and ST, and Little and the TEs might be better than people think. Its like the Indy situation: Guys like Reggie wayne and Dallas clark go from all-pros to ??? when you have a garbage QB throwing to them. McCoy out. Weeden in and give him his shot.
This is pretty much how I see it. Weeden is a guy who could very quietly put up a QB14 - QB18 seasons in fantasy without hardly any press or attention behind it.
We could probably say that about any starting QB though. The guys who finish in the mid teens are basically the sub par QBs who play all 16 games. His PPG will probably be consistant with the average Waiver Wire start. I see no reason to roster him in Redraft and little in dynasty either (depending on roster size).

I'm not buying a ~48 year old QB from a videogame gimmick offense in a conference not known for defense (or for producing franchise QBs) putting up big numbers in this or any season.

Even if Weeden's 2012 upside is Andy Dalton (which I'm not buying given A.) Dalton was much better than a typical NFL rookie, and B.) I don't see anything remotely close to an AJ Green on the Browns roster), he's still garbage for fantasy. Dalton was 23rd in PPG, behind such luminaries as Chad Henne, Ryan Fitzpatrick, John Beck, and John Skelton. Chances are there was someone better on the waiver wire in most 1 QB leagues much of the year. Weeden shouldn't be rostered unless your league as a whole is rostering 30+ QBs, so 16 team leagues or 2 QB leagues only.

Dynasty wise, he's also garbage, just on age.

Sobering fact as a Browns fan who was on the hype train but has since tempered expectations:

Weeden will be 29 in October. Bernie Kosar was released from the Browns by Bill Belichick in 1993 due to "diminishing skills." He was 29 at the time.

:o

'Coeur de Lion said:
Even if Weeden's 2012 upside is Andy Dalton (which I'm not buying given A.) Dalton was much better than a typical NFL rookie, and B.) I don't see anything remotely close to an AJ Green on the Browns roster), he's still garbage for fantasy. Dalton was 23rd in PPG, behind such luminaries as Chad Henne, Ryan Fitzpatrick, John Beck, and John Skelton. Chances are there was someone better on the waiver wire in most 1 QB leagues much of the year. Weeden shouldn't be rostered unless your league as a whole is rostering 30+ QBs, so 16 team leagues or 2 QB leagues only.Dynasty wise, he's also garbage, just on age.
:lmao: luminaries indeed.

Sobering fact as a Browns fan who was on the hype train but has since tempered expectations:Weeden will be 29 in October. Bernie Kosar was released from the Browns by Bill Belichick in 1993 due to "diminishing skills." He was 29 at the time. :o
Kosar had his skills beaten out of him.

Why is there this perception out there that since he's almost 29, Weeden will come into the league more "ready" than most rookies? He might be more mature, and that's not a bad thing. But he's still a rookie.

He's got many issues that plague the average rookie QB. His footwork. His decision making. His pocket presence, which isn't quite as bad as Gabbert's was coming out...but its not pretty.

Anyone thinking he's a "safe" mid-late round bye-week QB is kidding themselves unless they don't mind lower-tier numbers from their QB that week. Expectations for this guy are WAY too high, no matter his age.

Why is there this perception out there that since he's almost 29, Weeden will come into the league more "ready" than most rookies? He might be more mature, and that's not a bad thing. But he's still a rookie. He's got many issues that plague the average rookie QB. His footwork. His decision making. His pocket presence, which isn't quite as bad as Gabbert's was coming out...but its not pretty. Anyone thinking he's a "safe" mid-late round bye-week QB is kidding themselves unless they don't mind lower-tier numbers from their QB that week. Expectations for this guy are WAY too high, no matter his age.
He didn't even play football from 2003-2008 and stepped in rather quickly to become a top college QB. He started one game his sophomore year after being a redshirt freshman and was 10/15 for 168 yards, 2 TD and 0 INT and beat Colorado.BTW, people have forgot that some unknown QB with far less of a pedigree came in as a 28 yo rookie and had a pretty decent year. Obviously Weeden is unlikely to have the same sort of success but the Browns saw enough in him to make him a 1st round pick even at 29.

This has got to be the least exciting hype train in the history of Shark Pool hype trains...
Yeah, which makes a more interesting IMO. This is the start of the train. Many threads like this don't get started until the hype was already well on its way.

This has got to be the least exciting hype train in the history of Shark Pool hype trains...
Yeah, which makes a more interesting IMO. This is the start of the train. Many threads like this don't get started until the hype was already well on its way.
So if he has an "Andy Dalton" type season, we should be excited? Any fantasy team that has to start Weeden for more than a handful of games isn't going anywhere this season. He is a waiver wire guy in a redraft. Got to hand it to the Browns though. Using a first round pick to get older and less experienced at QB.

So if he has an "Andy Dalton" type season, we should be excited? Any fantasy team that has to start Weeden for more than a handful of games isn't going anywhere this season. He is a waiver wire guy in a redraft. Got to hand it to the Browns though. Using a first round pick to get older and less experienced at QB.
This is the kind of stuff I just don't understand. Where does all of this negativity for Weeden come from? Clev got older and less experienced at QB is all you think this is about? DId you see Clev's play at QB last year? It was putrid. Perhaps the worst in the NFL. McCoy is not a legitimate starter for any NFL team. He is tremendously inaccurate and he also doesn't have the arm strength to even make all the necessary throws in the NFL. He also possess poor footwork and bellow average awareness. Weeden is an instant upgrade for Clev, despite his age or experience. He is immediately more accurate, has better arm strength and appears to be a natural leader. Does he need work on his footwork, reading and experience? Of course, but that doesn't change the fact that he offers Clev the ability to make certain NFL throws and call plays that they simply can not execute with McCoy as their starter. I don't see McCoy as having better footwork, mechanics or awareness even with his added year of "experience." In the end, it doesn't matter if he is older or what experience he has if he is an upgrade. By all reports that seems to be the case.I'm also not sure how a guy who performs like Dalton (around QB15 in most leagues) is a WW pickup? What leagues leave highly viable backup QBs sitting on the WW? None of the leagues I play in do. Maybe you can wait an pick him up off the WW because nobody is expecting anything from Weeden. If the expectation by the masses was for him to perform as QB15 he would be drafted in every league. That is the point, he is a solid value. Although Weeden is a rookie and he certainly has warts coming in I think there are a few aspects to his role in Clev that will greatly hide those warts in his rookie year. 1st and most importantly is the fact that Clev has a very good Oline. The importance of this can not be magnified enough. 2nd, is the effectiveness of Clev running game behind their powerful Oline and Richardson. 3rd, is a friendly offensive scheme and play calling that will ease his transition. I don't think Weeden's transition will be nearly as difficult as most rookies because of these 3 reasons. I liken his situation to Sam Bradford's in his rookie season only Weeden is more fortunate because his Oline will be far better.

That stuff is unimportant. McCoy is young and more experienced, but so what, he sucks. The fact is that there was not a more NFL ready QB they could have drafted this year. QB's play until their mid-30's so if Weeden is actually a good QB then the Browns would be extremely happy with 'only' 5-7 years out of him.

For dynasty purposes, how much concern would you have that the Browns may very well wind up with the #1 overall pick in 2013 and have QB Matt Barkley sitting there? Vegas odds do not favor the Browns to win in any of the 16 games this season. So they have to be the favorite to get the #1 overall. Maybe Holmgren and Heckert pick Barkley. Or, Randy Lerner may fire everyone. So a new regime comes in, is not tied to Weeden in any way, and wants to start fresh with their own QB.

For dynasty purposes, how much concern would you have that the Browns may very well wind up with the #1 overall pick in 2013 and have QB Matt Barkley sitting there? Vegas odds do not favor the Browns to win in any of the 16 games this season. So they have to be the favorite to get the #1 overall. Maybe Holmgren and Heckert pick Barkley. Or, Randy Lerner may fire everyone. So a new regime comes in, is not tied to Weeden in any way, and wants to start fresh with their own QB.
Well, if Weeden is any good the Clev will not be picking first in the draft next year. If he sucks, then I guess he's worth replacing and they hype train runs off the tracks.

I'm also not sure how a guy who performs like Dalton (around QB15 in most leagues) is a WW pickup? What leagues leave highly viable backup QBs sitting on the WW? None of the leagues I play in do. Maybe you can wait an pick him up off the WW because nobody is expecting anything from Weeden. If the expectation by the masses was for him to perform as QB15 he would be drafted in every league. That is the point, he is a solid value.
Again, Dalton was 23rd in points-per-game, which means that in 10-12 team 1 QB leagues, you can rotate whichever crappy free agents have the best matchups and get equal or likely better production. So if Weeden hits his reasonable upside, then it's still a total waste of a roster spot. Starting the 23rd guy just pretty much guarantees a loss at the QB position, even against other teams backups.

I'm also not sure how a guy who performs like Dalton (around QB15 in most leagues) is a WW pickup? What leagues leave highly viable backup QBs sitting on the WW? None of the leagues I play in do. Maybe you can wait an pick him up off the WW because nobody is expecting anything from Weeden. If the expectation by the masses was for him to perform as QB15 he would be drafted in every league. That is the point, he is a solid value.
Again, Dalton was 23rd in points-per-game, which means that in 10-12 team 1 QB leagues, you can rotate whichever crappy free agents have the best matchups and get equal or likely better production. So if Weeden hits his reasonable upside, then it's still a total waste of a roster spot. Starting the 23rd guy just pretty much guarantees a loss at the QB position, even against other teams backups.
One of the leagues I play in was won with Dalton as his starting QB down the stretch. Injuries hurt his QB situation but the team stayed the course because of Dalton's crappy 23rd ranked performances. He was never on the WW. I don't know of any 10 team leagues that only start 1 QB. That seems pretty odd to me and I can't imagine very many play in such a league. Most 10 team leagues I've come across start 2 QBs. Again, in any 12 team league I find it hard to believe e 23rd ranked QB is on the WW. Perhaps the leagues I'm in value QBs more but, the WW simply doesn't have that high a quality available.

Bingo. He may have dynasty value, someday, maybe. But he is no sure thing and this year I wouldn't want him as my backup QB even.

It's set up so either Holmgren or Shurmur is the first to fall on the sword. Unless something really strange happens Heckert will still be around next year and unless Weeden is just a complete mess (which is possible) a QB will not be picked round 1. As a Browns fan I don't like this and is a big reason I did not like the Weeden pick as I think there is somewhere between 3 and 5 QB's in next years class (depending who declares) better than Weeden but this is the bed that's been made.I don't expect many wins this year, I expect a rather ugly season actually. All I can hope for is for Weeden to prove me wrong about him in so doing so we can shift our attention to other positions in round 1 next year. Likely, pass rush. Hopefully, anyway.

Well, if Weeden is any good the Clev will not be picking first in the draft next year. If he sucks, then I guess he's worth replacing and they hype train runs off the tracks.
It would not be shocking for Weeden to play poorly as a rookie. I'd argue its to be expected. It doesn't mean he is a bust, its just that you cannot expect a QB to produce in his first year in the NFL. The problem is, if he does play poorly, the franchise could be looking squarely at Barkley at 1.01 this April.

According to Browns beat writer Jeff Schudel, QB Colt McCoy was superior to rookie Brandon Weeden on Thursday, the final day of minicamp.Schudel notes, however, that it was "clear to reporters on the sideline" that Weeden has been the better quarterback throughout the offseason, but that the coaching staff is making him earn the job. It's still a matter of when, not if, Weeden is named the starter.

It would not be shocking for Weeden to play poorly as a rookie. I'd argue its to be expected. It doesn't mean he is a bust, its just that you cannot expect a QB to produce in his first year in the NFL. The problem is, if he does play poorly, the franchise could be looking squarely at Barkley at 1.01 this April.
So win-win.

Qb 14-18? Name a Browns player that will have more than 4 receiving tds.

Weeden can rip it. He's a winner. Just ask him. Seriously guy seems like a tool. He's in a tough division with three playoff teams. He's going to have Richardson and not much else. His receivers are below average. Even the good one drops a lot of passes. I foresee another 4 win season.

Qb 14-18? Name a Browns player that will have more than 4 receiving tds.
I don't expect anyone to have 10 TDs but Little could get 7-8 and Cribbs, Norwood, Benjamin, Watson, Moore, Cameron and Richardson all have the ability to score 4 or 5.

Maybe giant buzzards come down from the heavens and kill everyone in the organization. Ever consider that?

Fair or not, he's got a year to prove his worth IMO.Thought he was a terrible reach in Round 1
One of the worst reaches in recent draft history.Brutal Brutal Brutal. They wasted a Julio Jones trade pick on this. A developmental 29 year old rookie QB. Good luck selling that to a fan baseSo next year, "Let's hope this 30 year old QB can make some strides". They panicked after missing out on RG3 trade.Sadly Weeden's got a year to show something. Really should expect more from a 1st round pick. Today was a horrific horrific start. Jimmy Claussen was probably cringing at that start.

Weeden can rip it. He's a winner. Just ask him. Seriously guy seems like a tool. He's in a tough division with three playoff teams. He's going to have Richardson and not much else. His receivers are below average. Even the good one drops a lot of passes. I foresee another 4 win season.
:yes:

Fair or not, he's got a year to prove his worth IMO.Thought he was a terrible reach in Round 1
One of the worst reaches in recent draft history.Brutal Brutal Brutal. They wasted a Julio Jones trade pick on this. A developmental 29 year old rookie QB. Good luck selling that to a fan baseSo next year, "Let's hope this 30 year old QB can make some strides". They panicked after missing out on RG3 trade.Sadly Weeden's got a year to show something. Really should expect more from a 1st round pick. Today was a horrific horrific start. Jimmy Claussen was probably cringing at that start.
I liked the Julio trade until the Weeden pick. I don't think Weeden itself was a panic move after missing RG3, I think they legitimately fell for him -right or wrong. They panicked taking him at 22 though, they had penciled in Kendall Wright na dmade no backup plan. That was just poor management. I think the plan all along was to take the 36 and a day 3 pick and move up to get Weeden at the very end of day 1.

You're missing the long-term plan which was to get Barkley.

Unfortunately it wasn't, but more of this and the whole regime goes out the door so Barkley, Logan Thomas, Geno Smith, maybe Tyler Bray, among others become options as the new guys will have no ties to Weeden.

Sorry Cleveland fans...it must be rough to see RGIII lighting it up in New Orleans while your QB finishes the day with one of the worst stat lines in recent memory.

Another second-rounder added to the offer and Griffin would be in a Browns uniform...ouch.

Not to mention trading away the Julio Jones pick...eesh.

Looks like I really missed on this guy. Given how bad he played in the preseason and how well McCoy did he shouldn't have been the starter. Give McCoy a chance and see if he's improved.

Looks like I really missed on this guy. Given how bad he played in the preseason and how well McCoy did he shouldn't have been the starter. Give McCoy a chance and see if he's improved.
Won't happen, these guys went all-in on Weeden, if he doesn't pan out they know they're cooked so the job is his until he corrects in time to save their jobs or when they're shown the door. I'd rather Colt not play anyway, if he plays well it'd just be a reason to consider passing on QB at the top of the 2013 draft, which would just be another mistake on a franchise full of them.

Sorry Cleveland fans...it must be rough to see RGIII lighting it up in New Orleans while your QB finishes the day with one of the worst stat lines in recent memory.Another second-rounder added to the offer and Griffin would be in a Browns uniform...ouch.Not to mention trading away the Julio Jones pick...eesh.
I still don't know how well RG3 would have done here given all the issues on offense, although if we had made the trade I wonder if Garcon would have answered our phone call instead of stone walling us and signing with Washington less than an hour after free agency opened. That said, whatever it is it'd be better than yesterday.Still defend the Julio Jones trade, obviously the issue is what was used on those picks. I liked Taylor (but not trading the extra pick) and Little (at the time anyway), but as the Browns fans here will tell you I was scathing mad when we used the last piece of the Julio trade to get Weeden.Whatever, may be a blessing in disguise. Unlike when this regime came in there will be pieces for the next one to work with when they get here, these guys were dealt a lousy hand but they haven't helped themselves with their constant mismanaging since they got here.

Unfortunately it wasn't, but more of this and the whole regime goes out the door so Barkley, Logan Thomas, Geno Smith, maybe Tyler Bray, among others become options as the new guys will have no ties to Weeden.
I hope so. It'd be a shame if they spend years trying to develop Weeden into a starter. Weeden's career window is too small for a team with so many needs. By the time they built the team around Weeden, they'd have to be looking for their next QB shortly after.

Users who are viewing this thread