What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Weeden (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Browns OC Norv Turner acknowledged his passing offense has looked "ragged at times" early in camp, with too many interceptions.
National reports, specifically from Sports Illustrated and its website, have indicated Brandon Weeden is struggling. "We've had a lot of mixed results and more inconsistencies than I'd like but that doesn't surprise me," said Turner. "We do need to have that sense of urgency that this thing's going to be on us real fast." Turner has been more impressed with Cleveland's running game so far.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
After visiting Browns camp, SI's Peter King came away "very skeptical" Brandon Weeden will be "a good quarterback this year."

"He's a great guy, he's got some great ability to throw the ball downfield," King conceded. "(But) I question whether he can be accurate enough to be this team's quarterback for both this year and the long haul." King's video report cited no sources, so it's possible he formed this opinion based on watching a practice or two. We wouldn't read into it too much, but Weeden's preseason-game performances will be worth monitoring closely.

Aug 2 - 1:43 PM

Source: SI.com

Browns not done rebuilding

By John Clayton | ESPN.com

Excerpt:

4. Turning the corner with Norv Turner: Mingo is one of the few Browns draft choices who might surface as a rookie, which means the impact of offensive coordinator Norv Turner can't be underestimated. Turner has a history of turning around offenses, and usually the numbers rise significantly in the first year. Clearly, his mission is to get the best out of Weeden, and patience is going to be needed there. Former head coach Pat Shurmur tried to help Weeden with three-step drops and safer passes. Weeden completed 57.4 percent of his passes, but some things didn't look right. Even though he's 6-4, he had 23 passes batted down at the line of scrimmage. Here's the inside story: Weeden is coming out of a spread college offense in which he used the shotgun and didn't retreat from center. Last season he threw from three-step drops to receivers running shorter routes in the middle. Getting the footwork down and trying to loft the short passes over defenders who know to raise their hands resulted in batted passes. Turner will use more five- and seven-step drops that fit Weeden's background. It's not a given he will be a successful quarterback. But Turner will give him the running game and the play-action passes to provide him with a chance to develop.

Browns continue tough love with Weeden

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Cleveland Browns coach Rob Chudzinski made it clear that he isn't ready to name a starting quarterback just yet, describing the competition between Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell as "close."

Do I understand why he said it? Yes. Do I believe him? Definitely not.

Weeden has taken every single snap with the first-team offense in training camp. He showed progress in the Browns' new offensive system in the preseason opener, when he completed 10 of 13 passes for 112 yards and a touchdown.

It kind of reminds me of the duck test. If Weeden looks like a starting quarterback and plays like a starting quarterback, then he is probably the starting quarterback.

If I were in Chudzinski's situation, I wouldn't have named Weeden the undisputed starter just yet either. You don't want Weeden to rest on one good start, and you don't want Campbell to stop putting pressure on Weeden. There are still three and a half weeks until the Browns start the season, and Weeden hasn't earned anything so far.

What I don't agree with is Chudzinski calling the quarterback battle "close." I'm sure even Campbell doesn't believe it. This comes across as a silly mind game. Chudzinski should have just stuck with his opening answer: "There's a point where I will name a starting quarterback. I am not ready to do it yet."

When asked how he could describe the competition as close when Weeden has worked exclusively with the starters, Chudzinski said, "There's still three preseason games left so there's still a lot of work to be done, and we've still got plenty of practice time as well. Every day is an evaluation and they've each done well and shown good things along the way."

Continuing to challenge him in this manner is another example of the Browns' tough love with Weeden. This new regime didn't draft Weeden with the No. 22 overall pick in the 2012 draft, and this new regime probably wouldn't have used that pick on him if Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi were calling the shots a year ago.

But Weeden is seen as a good fit in Chudzinski and Norv Turner's offense because of his strong arm. Many feel Weeden has 16 games this season to convince the Browns' decision-makers that he can be the team's franchise quarterback. Based on Chudzinski's comments Tuesday, it will take a while for Weeden to find out where he stands.

Browns QB Brandon Weeden impressive for second straight week

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

August 15, 2013 9:31 pm ET

Two of the NFL's biggest punching bags in recent years -- the Browns and Norv Turner -- have joined forces. This isn't the set up to some lame joke. And in fact, if two weeks of otherwise meaningless preseason football mean anything, Turner, now Cleveland's offensive coordinator, is already doing what Pat Shurmur couldn't in two years: Jumpstart the Browns' offense.

Quarterback Brandon Weeden enters his second season, and depending on who you believe, he's embroiled in a quarterback competition with Jason Campbell. And maybe he is, but Weeden, who struggled as a rookie, looks like a completely different player under Turner.

Against the Rams last week, Weeden played 23 snaps, completed 10 of 13 passes for 112 yards, including a touchdown. He followed up that effort by going 8 of 12 for 117 yards and two touchdowns (both to tight end Jordan Cameron) against the Lions on Thursday. All told, the 29-year-old quarterback is completing 72 percent of his passes and has yet to throw an interception.

Weeden is seven months removed from a rookie campaign that included completing 57.4 percent of his passes for 3,385 yards, 14 TDs and 17 INTs. He never looked comfortable in Shurmur's offense, which was criticized for it's predictability. That's all changed in Turner's scheme, something that becomes apparent when you see Weeden play.

"This offense makes sense to me," the quarterback told USAToday.com earlier this month. "The digit system makes sense. You don't have to change the entire play call to change one route."

Any conversation about the AFC North begins with the defending Super Bowl champion Ravens. Then it's the Bengals and Steelers. The Browns, meanwhile, have been perennial afterthoughts for most of their existence.

Maybe this is the season that changes. Hey, CBSSports.com's Will Brinson thinks this team can go 9-7. (Pay no attention to CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco, however, who has Cleveland eking out four wins.)

He has a stare down problem with his intended target and made poor passes under duress.

There's lots of good to takeaway from his first two games, but his two biggest weaknesses are still there.

I like him as a cheap option in a best ball format. When your only trick is launching it deep, and your offense is based heavily off the run, you're going to have a few weeks when the CB's are off their game, or the weather and the field cooperate just right, or the play action is working wonders, and he'll put up a small handful of 300/3's to go along with a whole lot of turds.

Someone else did the work for me, see below

http://nflphilosophy.com/nfl-preseason-week-2-notes-detroit-lions-at-cleveland-browns/

Brandon Weeden’s most critical issue as a QB is that he stares down his receivers with great frequency. He needs to master the art of eye manipulation and he could become a very good QB in the NFL. Weeden’s tendency to stare down receivers will be the main reason for most of his interceptions.
His string of tweets and photos at the end tell a good story.

is this correctable, or is this a problem QBs never seem to get rid of?

the coaches have to be seeing the same thing, right?

Someone else did the work for me, see below

http://nflphilosophy.com/nfl-preseason-week-2-notes-detroit-lions-at-cleveland-browns/

Brandon Weeden’s most critical issue as a QB is that he stares down his receivers with great frequency. He needs to master the art of eye manipulation and he could become a very good QB in the NFL. Weeden’s tendency to stare down receivers will be the main reason for most of his interceptions.
His string of tweets and photos at the end tell a good story.
I watched his snaps and the commentators noted this on the missed pass to Gordon at the beginning of the game (just off Gordon's fingers down the right sideline, first throw I think). He did a pump fake, but instead of faking to the left side of the field, he did it to the right side, which meant the safety ultimately was being told where the ball would go and managed to get over the top and make a play.

This is what Weeden has to correct in year two: mental errors. This is a big jump from last year when there were a host of mechanical problems as well with his footwork and patting the ball before he threw. I think Weeden will still make many of these errors this year, and it will hurt his stats. However he looks to be a viable backup or QB2 in two QB leagues if you want to spend earlier picks on other positions. Should finish somewhere between 20-15 if he can make good on what he has done in preseason.

Also I think his stats for the first two games will be deflated without Gordon.

is this correctable, or is this a problem QBs never seem to get rid of?

the coaches have to be seeing the same thing, right?
It's correctable for sure. It's pretty normal for QBs to struggle with this early on. As the mature and develop it should get better. If it doesn't get better after a couple of years he will find himself on the bench. That's pretty much what happens to the guys who don't evolve.

PFF game review.

Their take on Weeden's performance:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/08/17/refo-det-cle-preseason-wk-2/

[SIZE=small]Command of the Offense[/SIZE]

Brandon Weeden’s performance has to be encouraging for Browns fans. He was not afraid to attack deep, and threw with solid (and at times excellent) accuracy en route to a +3.1 grade. A few of his passes were placed perfectly between defenders, and the Browns moved the ball very well during Weeden’s time at the controls.

Awful throwing left and when he has to reset his eyes or feet. Safeties and lbs just followed his eyes right all game closing passing windows. Confidence gone by third quarter, started having ugly throws standing still going right then too.

Awful throwing left and when he has to reset his eyes or feet. Safeties and lbs just followed his eyes right all game closing passing windows. Confidence gone by third quarter, started having ugly throws standing still going right then too.
He was awful tonight. I thought I was going to be able to pick some of those throws.

Brandon Weeden: Browns not pushing panic button

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

After opening the preseason with a pair of strong performances on offense, the Cleveland Browns tumbled to earth in a 27-6 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Quarterback Brandon Weeden was at the center of a messy display, squeezing out a 59.6 passer rating while leading the team to one lonely field goal in seven drives. Browns fans can't be blamed for wondering if the positive start was a mirage, but Weeden warned against an overreaction.

"I don't think there's any reason to push the panic button like a lot of people want to," Weeden said, per The Plain Dealer. "But we've got to learn from it and we've got to get better."

Weeden remains a mystery. He's unquestionably a better fit for Norv Turner's vertical passing game than Pat Shurmur's plodding West Coast attack of a season ago. But against the Colts, the Browns appeared to revert to their old ways, and actually used Weeden differently than they did in wins over the St. Louis Rams and Detroit Lions.

If we've learned anything about Weeden this summer, it's that he's made for the shotgun. I went back and checked the film and, by my count, Weeden lined up in the shotgun 79 percent of the time against the Rams and Lions. That dipped to 60 percent against the Colts, and gone was the aggressive approach, as Cleveland took fewer shots downfield.

That had a lot to do with the Colts putting on a defensive clinic, forcing -- at one stretch -- three consecutive three-and-outs.

"I've watched the tape four times and all four times their coverage was really, really good," Weeden said.

Playing in the AFC North, Cleveland faces a schedule littered with "really, really good" defenses, so the kinks need to be worked immediately, or the panic button will be pressed with good reason.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Rotoworld:

Coach Rob Chudzinski confirmed that Brandon Weeden will likely start Sunday's game against the Jaguars.

Jason Campbell is in the concussion protocol and not expected to get cleared in time. It leaves Weeden with yet another chance to start thanks to injury. A home game against the Jags No. 24 defense is an ideal spot, but Weeden's consistently indecisive play makes him a mere low-end QB2. He's completed just 51.5 percent of his passes this season with six touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Brandon Weeden's 2014 contract includes $2 million in guarantees.

No matter who ends up coaching the Browns, it's highly unlikely Weeden will be in their plans. The No. 22 overall pick in 2012 was 0-5 as a starter in 2013, somehow regressing while completing just 52.8 percent of his passes and throwing nine touchdowns against nine interceptions. As ESPN Cleveland notes, it's "another Browns QB chewed up and spit out."

Source: ESPN Cleveland

#### Weeden.

on top of being a ####ty QB, i've heard he's a #####, too.

also, i have no idea what team he thinks is going to sign him.

unbelievable.

Rotoworld:

Browns GM Ray Farmer plans to evaluate Brandon Weeden based on what he's done "in the National Football League."

"Once you’re in the National Football league, you’re graded upon your performance and what you were able to achieve at that moment," Farmer said. In other words, the Browns will be moving on from Weeden. It's a marriage both sides want out of. Weeden has no trade value. He'll be released and attempt to latch on as someone's No. 2 or 3 quarterback.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Brandon Weeden released by Cleveland BrownsBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The Brandon Weeden Experiment is over in Cleveland.

After NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reported Wednesday that the Browns would release the quarterback, the team quickly confirmed that Weeden had been cut.

The move comes as no surprise after the 2012 first-round draft pick cratered hard during his second season with the team. Weeden was drafted two regimes ago, and he marched into this offseason with zero support from the current one.

Weeden didn't earn any points last month after saying: "I just want to play football and be at a place where it's enjoyable and we can compete and win games."

Wins were rare during his 20 starts with the Browns, a crash-and-burn run marked by slow decision-making, shaky pocket presence and oft-target throws aplenty. Weeden hits the open market with a 23-to-26 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a pedestrian 71.8 passer rating.

You don't often see first-round picks dumped inside of three seasons, but the Browns have parted ways with two in Weeden and -- through last season's trade -- Trent Richardson. Still, this was the right move by Cleveland, even if the team stands to lose money.

Weeden, already 30, is bound to get picked up, but he'll need to blow the doors off to earn a roster spot. His next quarterback coach -- if there is one -- has plenty of work to do in order to turn Weeden into what the Browns hoped he'd be from the start.

UPDATE: The Browns also released quarterback Jason Campbell on Wednesday, leaving just Brian Hoyer and Alex Tanney on the roster. We expect the team to pick up a veteran -- maybe Matt Schaub -- before snatching someone up in the draft.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys signed QB Brandon Weeden to a two-year contract.
Weeden, 43 30, made 20 starts in Cleveland the past two seasons, compiling a 5-15 record with a 23:26 TD-to-INT ratio and 55.9 completion rate. A former top-prospect baseball pitcher, Weeden has always possessed plus arm strength but has very little athleticism and is maddeningly deliberate in all of his movements. His skill set makes an offensive line look worse. The Cowboys need arms for the offseason program with Kyle Orton undecided about playing in 2014, and Tony Romo coming off back surgery.

Related: Browns

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Brandon Weeden: I tried to do too much with BrownsBy Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Brandon Weeden will be fighting for a roster spot with the Dallas Cowboys behind Tony Romo.

The 2012 first-round draft pick told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Saturday that he believes the constant change in Cleveland was one factor that stymied his growth as a player.

"It wasn't an ideal situation," Weeden said of his time with the Browns. "The regime that drafted me was out a year after I got there. You never know the plans the group coming in has and I think, as a player, as much as you try not to do too much, try not to put too much pressure on yourself to perform and show you can be the guy for the long haul.

"Sometimes you get caught up in it. You try to do too much as a player and that's one thing if I could change about myself, I wouldn't try to do too much every Sunday. I think, just let the game kind of come to you and be more patient."

The 30-year-old Weeden said one reason the Cowboys are a good situation for him is play-caller Scott Linehan. Weeden said Linehan runs a similar offense, utilizing terminology similar to what Weeden learned last season under Norv Turner. The quarterback believes the lessened pressure and new scenery also will be a benefit.

"I was ready for a kind of a clean slate and a fresh start," he said of leaving Cleveland.

Weeden has his fresh start. To keep it, he needs to prove to the Cowboys he's worth more than an arm to get through offseason workouts while Romo rehabs from back surgery.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast", the guys welcome Browns star Joe Haden to the studio and talk about the uncertain future of Chris Johnson.

Rotoworld:

Starting in place of Tony Romo (precautionary), Brandon Weeden completed 13-of-17 passes for 107 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions in Thursday night's preseason opener against the Chargers.

We're not sure where this came from. Although he was without Dez Bryant, Jason Witten and DeMarco Murray, Weeden looked surprisingly comfortable and accurate while playing the entire first half. The highlight was a bootleg in which he powerfully threaded the needle while throwing across his body to James Hanna for a 4-yard score. Weeden is locked in as the backup to Romo and his balky back.

Rotoworld:

Starting in place of Tony Romo (precautionary), Brandon Weeden completed 13-of-17 passes for 107 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions in Thursday night's preseason opener against the Chargers.

We're not sure where this came from. Although he was without Dez Bryant, Jason Witten and DeMarco Murray, Weeden looked surprisingly comfortable and accurate while playing the entire first half. The highlight was a bootleg in which he powerfully threaded the needle while throwing across his body to James Hanna for a 4-yard score. Weeden is locked in as the backup to Romo and his balky back.
I really thought Weeden could be a starting QB when he was drafted and it wouldn't surprise me if he's finally getting it.

Rotoworld:

I really thought Weeden could be a starting QB when he was drafted and it wouldn't surprise me if he's finally getting it.
iirc, Weeden led the league in quarterback rating last preseason.

What kind of numbers do you expect from Weeden, if he does start? Does Dallas go to the ground even more with him at the helm in hopes of controlling the clock?

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of numbers do you expect from Weeden, if he does start? Does Dallas go to the ground with him at the helm in hopes of controlling the clock?
They've been going to the ground w/o him. Witten would get a bump up.
not following that logic.
i would expect them to run a lot as they have been doing. When he does throw i think he'd look to witten a lot b/c he's a security blanket. Saw that when Weeden was in last week.

Users who are viewing this thread