What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My wife, she's... overweight. (2 Viewers)

If there is anyone here that has been successful in planning healthy meals for a large family I would appreciate a PM.
Seriously??Grill chicken, fish, lean beef. Buy tons of vegetables and make them different ways. Grilled zucchini or asparagus with olive oil, kosher salt/pepper and lemon on the grill? Awesome. Make good, creative salads. Make your own dressing (so easy with dijon, white wine vinegar, maybe garlic or shallots, salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon - tons of variations in any decent cookbook). Brown rice. Buy whole grain when possible, including pasta.Eliminate white flour, sugar, too much dairy. It's not complicated.
dinner is easy. its lunch and breakfast that are difficult.for breakfast i generally eat 3 egg whites, ww toast, and coffee. if i have cereal i make sure its low sugar like cheerios and only one bowl.fir lunch, i make 2 lbs of chicken tenderloins in the oven every week. season them any way you like. eat three strips for lunch plus 6 oz of greek yogurt. i also snack fruits through the daydinner is usually chicken, fish, if i make ground beef its over 93% lean, if i make chicken cutlets i eat them baked, etc. i also have one side of vege and one side of a carb... either a small red potato, or brown rice. the key to all this is serving size.

It's not complicated.
It's may not be complicated but that doesn't mean it's easy. If you've spent your entire life with one mindset, it can be difficult and overwhelming to make sudden, drastic changes. Saying buy veggies and "make them different ways" doesn't help as much as actually listing some of those different ways. Which is what Invaded asked for.
True, to some degree its as easy as substituting the starch. We've been making a lot of Paleo spaghetti (zucchini sauteed in long thing strips instead of noodles, same sauce and grass fed burger), meatloaf (almond flour instead of regular flour) with veggies and chicken/veggies. Easy and not many carbs. One thing I've found though is almond flour, coconut oil and grass fed meat is typically much more expensive. We do buy meat locally and in bulk which reduces cost A LOT and have a chest freezer for storage. Also, we eat a lot of eggs (cheap) and beef jerky (expensive). We're on one end of the not-fat spectrum and are healthy and happy.

I think "counting calories" is essentially useless and usually grossly inaccurate
wow big red X
The truth is somewhere between these two. Calorie in/out is true, kind of. The problem is that not only is your body burning calories when it does anything, but it has certain chemicals that control HOW these are allocated and.burned. These are hormones. So the amount AND type of fuel you put in matters. Sugar spikes insulin levels, hurting metabolism. When you come off the sugar high, you are craving again. Fat and protein satiate and don't spike these levels. So 100 calories of simple sugars (soda) is NOT the same as 100 calories of lean protein or good fat. Yes, the same energy is contained, but the effect it has on appetite and metabolic efficiency is very different. Carbs from fruit, some legumes etc are better because they are more complex and actually come alongside actual nutritive value.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is anyone here that has been successful in planning healthy meals for a large family I would appreciate a PM.
Seriously??Grill chicken, fish, lean beef. Buy tons of vegetables and make them different ways. Grilled zucchini or asparagus with olive oil, kosher salt/pepper and lemon on the grill? Awesome. Make good, creative salads. Make your own dressing (so easy with dijon, white wine vinegar, maybe garlic or shallots, salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon - tons of variations in any decent cookbook). Brown rice. Buy whole grain when possible, including pasta.

Eliminate white flour, sugar, MOST dairy. It's not complicated.
:goodposting:
You take away my cheeses and I fight.
:goodposting: It will be a slow fat blubbery fight. But a fight nonetheless.

I had the same concern for one of my roommates in college. He was my best friend since jr. high so we had some history. He always liked to eat but when we were younger we were always playing sports and although he was a little chunky he wasn't the behemoth he became in college when we were constantly drinking and eating garbage... Anyway, I started giving him #### for being a fat-### but it really seemed to hurt his feelings. I tried talking to him about what he eats and getting to the gym etc... but gave up when he was unresponsive.

His mom ended up talking to me the summer between our jr and sr year and telling me how he doesn't want to go back to school and how he's self conscious blah blah blah and asked if I would try and talk to him... to make a long story short he came back to school and then I slowly introduced some healthier lifestyle habits. For example... I knew he wasn't interested in going to the gym and feeling self-conscious so I'd ask him if he wanted to throw a football around, or walk to the video store, etc.. just try to get him moving around a little bit. I started making dinner a couple times a week. Something that was healthy but not too healthy... I introduced him to all fruit smoothies, would discourage him from buying garbage when we went to the grocery store etc...

After only a few weeks he seemed to have a much better attitude about getting healthier, we started going to the park and shooting hoops... a few weeks after that we got some other friends and started having some pick-up basketball games. By the spring the following year he was coming to the gym with me a few times a week and had cleaned up his eating habits considerably... by the end of the school he probably dropped 30 lbs.

The reason I think he was able to make steady improvement is because he took it bit by bit. He didn't get all jazzed up for some new diet and then fall flat on his face... he started taking walks with his buddy... then started eating once snickers ice cream bar instead of 3... then shooting some hoops.... The hardest part is getting started. If you can be patient with her and start planting seeds (going for walks in the evening, making a healthy dinner etc...) you might find that she gets a little momentum going...

I had the same concern for one of my roommates in college. He was my best friend since jr. high so we had some history. He always liked to eat but when we were younger we were always playing sports and although he was a little chunky he wasn't the behemoth he became in college when we were constantly drinking and eating garbage... Anyway, I started giving him #### for being a fat-### but it really seemed to hurt his feelings. I tried talking to him about what he eats and getting to the gym etc... but gave up when he was unresponsive. His mom ended up talking to me the summer between our jr and sr year and telling me how he doesn't want to go back to school and how he's self conscious blah blah blah and asked if I would try and talk to him... to make a long story short he came back to school and then I slowly introduced some healthier lifestyle habits. For example... I knew he wasn't interested in going to the gym and feeling self-conscious so I'd ask him if he wanted to throw a football around, or walk to the video store, etc.. just try to get him moving around a little bit. I started making dinner a couple times a week. Something that was healthy but not too healthy... I introduced him to all fruit smoothies, would discourage him from buying garbage when we went to the grocery store etc...After only a few weeks he seemed to have a much better attitude about getting healthier, we started going to the park and shooting hoops... a few weeks after that we got some other friends and started having some pick-up basketball games. By the spring the following year he was coming to the gym with me a few times a week and had cleaned up his eating habits considerably... by the end of the school he probably dropped 30 lbs. The reason I think he was able to make steady improvement is because he took it bit by bit. He didn't get all jazzed up for some new diet and then fall flat on his face... he started taking walks with his buddy... then started eating once snickers ice cream bar instead of 3... then shooting some hoops.... The hardest part is getting started. If you can be patient with her and start planting seeds (going for walks in the evening, making a healthy dinner etc...) you might find that she gets a little momentum going...
wow awesome post man!

Can you do something together? Taking walks, riding bikes? Something you can do together?Plan some healthy menus togetherGood Lucjk
We can't really do anything together unless it involves dragging all the kids along (which is getting more and more possible, but we're not there yet). Even then, there's just not a lot of time in the evenings to do stuff like that. We take family walks when we can, but it's not often.I think planning some healthy menus together is probably the best first step I can take to becoming pro-active about this. As my wife has said before, it's hard not only to plan healthy living, but to cook it. Our evenings are just really hectic, and it's hard to always eat healthy. That said, we don't eat terrible as it stands now. There is some processed stuff that we eat (fish sticks now and then for the kids, etc.), but we eat a lot of grilled food (chicken, beef, pork), plenty of green beans/broccoli/other veggies, salads, etc.I think the main problem is she needs to condition herself to eat LESS, and not to cave and eat bad stuff when I'm not around.However, I have tried to play the part of the bad guy before with respect to her diet, and it always turns out poorly.
myfitnesspal. Trust me. Itll open both your eyes as to how much you are eating.
Late to the party but I completely agree with this. I kept my "baby weight" for over a year after baby number 2 was born. I got sick of looking like crap and downloaded this app and it works great. I ended up losing around 35 lbs in around 6 months. I've kept the weight off for over a year now. I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant the second time. You really get surprised at how much you eat in a day. This helped because I had to be accountable for everything I ate and I hated logging junk food more than I enjoyed eating it.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'shadyridr said:
'UniAlias said:
I think "counting calories" is essentially useless and usually grossly inaccurate
wow big red X
X

The guy who had to buy a $500 blender to get his nutrients because he hates eating vegetables disagrees with me about nutrition. Shocking.I'm sure counting calories works for many people. I would wager that many, many more people fail trying that route. In my opinion eliminating sugar as much as possible and eating real food is easier and a hell of a lot more effective than trying to maintain a calorie deficit for several months.

Anyone here ok w/ simply not being classically "thin"? There is a middle ground between "in shape" and "riding the rascal at walmart" fat.

I'm 6', 230. 46 y/o. Not slim by any means. I work out a decent amount (because I like to), can bench my weight, can do several miles on the treadmill easily, etc. But I also like to eat and drink, and I do. According to the doc, my "numbers" are great, and I feel great.

My wife (50 y/o) is 5'10", 190. Like me, not slim by any means, but she wears it well and looks fine to me. We're pretty active - ride bikes, walk, take our dog for a hike, and so on.

We eat what we want, do what we want, etc. We've both been about the same weight for the last decade. Neither of us will ever be "slim" again, and I'm pretty sure neither will be super fat, either. Just not wired that way.

We enjoy life, and neither of us can imagine a strict regimine to keep a certain weight, etc. I mean, for what? To look like we did at 25? Or to tack on another five years in our 80's? Please.

Pour me another beer, willya? And my wife wants to see the dessert menue.
Rock on, imo

Also, to answer your question, I got motivated when my mom told me I was fat. I already knew, I already hated how I looked but this kick in the ego was what I needed. After I stopped breast feeding I went on my "life style change". Does she have a female in her life that can be that honest/mean? I actually have a GF that will tell me I need to lose weight because she thinks I'm gaining a few too many pounds. It helps.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
Also, to answer your question, I got motivated when my mom told me I was fat. I already knew, I already hated how I looked but this kick in the ego was what I needed. After I stopped breast feeding I went on my "life style change". Does she have a female in her life that can be that honest/mean? I actually have a GF that will tell me I need to lose weight because she thinks I'm gaining a few too many pounds. It helps.
What is about the female psyche that only another woman can rip a woman with constructive criticism and it's taken positively? SMH
Iamsmilin can answer about the gender thing, but I think there's a big difference between your spouse saying stuff about your weight and anyone else saying it. It's a lot more complicated to say something to somebody that you have sex with.

Since I've already wozzed up this thread talking about myself, here's a question for people. Last night I went to the supermarket. My wife said "I'm craving chocolate, please buy me something." What should I have done?

'Raiderfan32904 said:
But women don't realize how ####### great they are in bed. Woke up to morning sechs and enjoying rubbing that perfect inverted heart shape ###, and all she can do is talk about a half inch of flub. How insane! Why are women so neurotic about themselves, like they see the world thru distorted glasses? They don't see that we are crazy for them just the way they are.
This sort of thing has no place in this thread.

Can you do something together? Taking walks, riding bikes? Something you can do together?Plan some healthy menus togetherGood Lucjk
We can't really do anything together unless it involves dragging all the kids along (which is getting more and more possible, but we're not there yet). Even then, there's just not a lot of time in the evenings to do stuff like that. We take family walks when we can, but it's not often.I think planning some healthy menus together is probably the best first step I can take to becoming pro-active about this. As my wife has said before, it's hard not only to plan healthy living, but to cook it. Our evenings are just really hectic, and it's hard to always eat healthy. That said, we don't eat terrible as it stands now. There is some processed stuff that we eat (fish sticks now and then for the kids, etc.), but we eat a lot of grilled food (chicken, beef, pork), plenty of green beans/broccoli/other veggies, salads, etc.I think the main problem is she needs to condition herself to eat LESS, and not to cave and eat bad stuff when I'm not around.However, I have tried to play the part of the bad guy before with respect to her diet, and it always turns out poorly.
Late to the party but I completely agree with this. I kept my "baby weight" for over a year after baby number 2 was born. I got sick of looking like crap and downloaded this app and it works great. I ended up losing around 35 lbs in around 6 months. I've kept the weight off for over a year now. I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant the second time. You really get surprised at how much you eat in a day. This helped because I had to be accountable for everything I ate and I hated logging junk food more than I enjoyed eating it.
:useless:

:useless:
she looks great ;)

Since I've already wozzed up this thread talking about myself, here's a question for people. Last night I went to the supermarket. My wife said "I'm craving chocolate, please buy me something." What should I have done?
Sugar free dark chocolate. :thumbup:
Is this a serious answer? If so, should I have told her before going to the supermarket, "OK, but I'm buying you sugar free dark chocolate" or should I just have come back from the store with it?

Cooking low calorie, healthy food does take some planning, but once you get in a rhythm isn't to bad. I do all the cooking in our house and used to make these elaborate recipes using lots of cheese, pasta, heavy cream, etc. Now my meals focus on chicken, beans, veggies, brown rice, etc. I try to cook 3x per week and make enough so that we just have to pull leftovers out of the fridge for lunch or dinner the next night. It will become a habit after a while.

Also, I am in complete agreement with total numer of calories being the single most important factor in weight loss. There are plenty of examples where people ate only junk, but watched their total calories and still lost weight. If you have to worry about calories + carbs, etc, it adds on a layer of complexity that's not really necessary. I have restricted my calories to less than I burn with 0 concern for carbs or anything else and lost a lot of weight.

Sugar free dark chocolate. :thumbup:
Is this a serious answer? If so, should I have told her before going to the supermarket, "OK, but I'm buying you sugar free dark chocolate" or should I just have come back from the store with it?
You have to be careful with the sugar free stuff. Most of the sugar alcohols in that act like a laxative. She will pretty much curse the day you were born if she eats a bunch of it.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'shadyridr said:
'UniAlias said:
wow big red X
X

The guy who had to buy a $500 blender to get his nutrients because he hates eating vegetables disagrees with me about nutrition. Shocking.I'm sure counting calories works for many people. I would wager that many, many more people fail trying that route. In my opinion eliminating sugar as much as possible and eating real food is easier and a hell of a lot more effective than trying to maintain a calorie deficit for several months.
if you dont maintain a calorie defecit you dont lose weight.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'shadyridr said:
'UniAlias said:
wow big red X
X

if you dont maintain a calorie defecit you dont lose weight.
Absolutely true. But if you are running a caloric deficit and not exercising (specifically strength) your body will canabalize muscle. We get very overweight clients all the time. A few have had the gastric bypass. All of them have told us that the reason they are coming in to work with us is that they are less able to keep their strength up now than when they were fat. The huge caloric deficit from a stapling surgery makes the body go after fat and muscle.

Any weight loss goals should include reducing calories, specifically sugars to help get your hormone levels in check, and incorporate moderate strength training. Yes, even women.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
What is about the female psyche that only another woman can rip a woman with constructive criticism and it's taken positively? SMH
Because we have gotten used to other females giving us honest opinion sour entire lives? If I really want to know if I look good/bad in something, I ask a GF. Husband does a cursory look and says ok. A GF will sit there and dissect WHY the thing looks good or bad.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
Because we have gotten used to other females giving us honest opinion sour entire lives? If I really want to know if I look good/bad in something, I ask a GF. Husband does a cursory look and says ok. A GF will sit there and dissect WHY the thing looks good or bad.
I will do this too. Still the Mrs hates it.I just think women have this game where they have all agreed to have different rules for different people, specifically for their male SO/husbands. If a man tells his wife 'Honey, you look great, but that skirt makes your hips look wide.' he's an insensitive jerk. If the friend does it it's helpful.

Cooking low calorie, healthy food does take some planning, but once you get in a rhythm isn't to bad. I do all the cooking in our house and used to make these elaborate recipes using lots of cheese, pasta, heavy cream, etc. Now my meals focus on chicken, beans, veggies, brown rice, etc. I try to cook 3x per week and make enough so that we just have to pull leftovers out of the fridge for lunch or dinner the next night. It will become a habit after a while.Also, I am in complete agreement with total numer of calories being the single most important factor in weight loss. There are plenty of examples where people ate only junk, but watched their total calories and still lost weight. If you have to worry about calories + carbs, etc, it adds on a layer of complexity that's not really necessary. I have restricted my calories to less than I burn with 0 concern for carbs or anything else and lost a lot of weight.
There are plenty of examples where people ate more calories than necessary and still lost weight.

Cooking low calorie, healthy food does take some planning, but once you get in a rhythm isn't to bad. I do all the cooking in our house and used to make these elaborate recipes using lots of cheese, pasta, heavy cream, etc. Now my meals focus on chicken, beans, veggies, brown rice, etc. I try to cook 3x per week and make enough so that we just have to pull leftovers out of the fridge for lunch or dinner the next night. It will become a habit after a while.Also, I am in complete agreement with total numer of calories being the single most important factor in weight loss. There are plenty of examples where people ate only junk, but watched their total calories and still lost weight. If you have to worry about calories + carbs, etc, it adds on a layer of complexity that's not really necessary. I have restricted my calories to less than I burn with 0 concern for carbs or anything else and lost a lot of weight.
There are plenty of examples where people ate more calories than necessary and still lost weight.
You're saying that a person can eat more calories than they burn and still lose fat? This seems unlikely but I'd like to look at some examples.

I think another poster mentioned sex along with critisim. It's hard to think of someone seeing us naked and saying our hips look fat. I agree it's stupid.

This is why gay guys can tell us we look fat. We are never having sex with them.

Mr Roboto- that's a great answer, honestly. I would appreciate that comment from my hubby.

Raidersfan-stupid but you gotta temper it. I say one honest good comment with a bad. I love that color on you but the dress hits you wrong/has a bad cut and makes your hips look big.

So their caloric intake - calories burned exercising > BMR and they lost weight? Yeah sorry I dont believe that

Last edited by a moderator:
You're saying that a person can eat more calories than they burn and still lose fat? This seems unlikely but I'd like to look at some examples.
Cant wait until he links to a site of tapeworm stories

Atkins induction. You can eat more calories than you need and still lose weight because your body excretes the excess ketones it uses for energy, unlike excess sugar which which your body converts into fat.That being said it is very difficult to overeat during induction because the food is very satiating and your appetite goes down significantly, again unlike high carb diets which spike insulin and make you hungry relatively quickly after eating.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
Raidersfan-stupid but you gotta temper it. I say one honest good comment with a bad. I love that color on you but the dress hits you wrong/has a bad cut and makes your hips look big.
:lol: great advice!Now tell me, tell us hairy men how the hell we say that comment without looking gay? Guys don't think about color schemes or know the difference in dress cuts. If we did some research and knew, she'd probably think we flipped sexual preference. Which puts us right back at square one.
Hey, I'm trying to help. Figure out a way to say it that makes you comfortable.

:lmao: we're still here.

This is simple...you're ####ed

She either wants to lose it or she doesnt. 99.9% of the time, anything you say or do will just mess up her head and your relationship. And 99.9% of wimmens, once they start down the path of sloth, gluttony, and tank-#rse, won't come back.

:lmao: we're still here.This is simple...you're ####edShe either wants to lose it or she doesnt. 99.9% of the time, anything you say or do will just mess up her head and your relationship. And 99.9% of wimmens, once they start down the path of sloth, gluttony, and tank-#rse, won't come back.
I think you probably have some valuable insight because you're one of only a few people here in a similar situation to the OP. But you come across to me as a bit of a jerkface.

:lmao: we're still here.This is simple...you're ####edShe either wants to lose it or she doesnt. 99.9% of the time, anything you say or do will just mess up her head and your relationship. And 99.9% of wimmens, once they start down the path of sloth, gluttony, and tank-#rse, won't come back.
I think you probably have some valuable insight because you're one of only a few people here in a similar situation to the OP. But you come across to me as a bit of a jerkface.
:lmao:

sometimes a smack in the face is what is takes to get some people to see the truth. my earlier post might be slightly less abrasive and more insightful:
People lose weight because they want to and no amount of tricks or prodding or begging on your part will make it happenI tried, in no particular order:- buying gym memberships for us both and prodding her to go with me every day- offering to cook all our meals- bought home gym equipment (treadmill, etc)- stopped having teh secks with her- complained to family and friends hoping it would get back to her- booked beach vacations hoping it would serve as motivationSorry GB, once they start down that path, 99.9% of 'em will never come back. Either deal with it or decide it's that important to you and get out now.ETA: i'm 6'4 and my wife weighs more than me . been dealing with this for at least 5 years. had my chance to get out ~4 years ago. Didn't. stuck now. i just get drunk when i know she wants teh secks, turn the lights off and go to a happy place (in my mind)
he can try all the other stuff mentioned here, [icon] had a VERY different approach. I'm just telling him from years of personal experience that most of it is a waste of time. Why sit around in shark infested waters and drag out your misery? Use your one shot left in the barrel to just end it (figuratively speaking of course)

sometimes a smack in the face is what is takes to get some people to see the truth. my earlier post might be slightly less abrasive and more insightful:
People lose weight because they want to and no amount of tricks or prodding or begging on your part will make it happenI tried, in no particular order:- buying gym memberships for us both and prodding her to go with me every day- offering to cook all our meals- bought home gym equipment (treadmill, etc)- stopped having teh secks with her- complained to family and friends hoping it would get back to her- booked beach vacations hoping it would serve as motivationSorry GB, once they start down that path, 99.9% of 'em will never come back. Either deal with it or decide it's that important to you and get out now.ETA: i'm 6'4 and my wife weighs more than me . been dealing with this for at least 5 years. had my chance to get out ~4 years ago. Didn't. stuck now. i just get drunk when i know she wants teh secks, turn the lights off and go to a happy place (in my mind)
he can try all the other stuff mentioned here, [icon] had a VERY different approach. I'm just telling him from years of personal experience that most of it is a waste of time. Why sit around in shark infested waters and drag out your misery? Use your one shot left in the barrel to just end it (figuratively speaking of course)
You haven't ended it.

:lmao: we're still here.

This is simple...you're ####ed

She either wants to lose it or she doesnt. 99.9% of the time, anything you say or do will just mess up her head and your relationship. And 99.9% of wimmens, once they start down the path of sloth, gluttony, and tank-#rse, won't come back.
People lose weight because they want to and no amount of tricks or prodding or begging on your part will make it happen

I tried, in no particular order:

- buying gym memberships for us both and prodding her to go with me every day

- offering to cook all our meals

- bought home gym equipment (treadmill, etc)

- stopped having teh secks with her

- complained to family and friends hoping it would get back to her

- booked beach vacations hoping it would serve as motivation

Sorry GB, once they start down that path, 99.9% of 'em will never come back. Either deal with it or decide it's that important to you and get out now.

ETA: i'm 6'4 and my wife weighs more than me . been dealing with this for at least 5 years. had my chance to get out ~4 years ago. Didn't. stuck now. i just get drunk when i know she wants teh secks, turn the lights off and go to a happy place (in my mind)
You haven't ended it.
please see bolded

Users who are viewing this thread