What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

Josh Gordon’s current skill and style of play reminds me of a mix between a raw Terrell Owens and Demaryius Thomas. However, his potential could be as limitless as Calvin Johnson.
Wow, that is some high praise. In terms of WR drafted this year, do you like him in the top 5?

I was really intrigued by this comment of Waldman that Sig Tweeted.

"Gordon has more physical upside and flashes more technical skill than Demaryius Thomas at the same point of their careers." - @mattwaldman

Gordon's talent is top 5-6 in this class of receivers and top 8-10 overall. His off-field issues hurt his ranking. If you can wait for his Pro Day next week and the Supplemental Draft on July 11 then you can adjust accordingly. Things to look for with Gordon on Pro Day:

[*]Does he at least run a 4.45-40

[*]Is he between 220-230 pounds and in shape

[*]Are you hearing the usual "PR" schtick about him that's positive.

[*]Any specific, positive information about his actions since his arrests and not playing football.

If all these things check out, I'd make him a high second-round pick in fantasy drafts. If they don't, he'd be a fourth round pick or later. If you have the 2012 RSP and 2012 RSP Post Draft, Gordon will fall between the 12th and 25th ranked players in my post-draft rankings, depending on his Pro Day and the team that selects him. The only way I bump him higher than 12th is if he runs a 4.3 or lower, is in great shape, and we hear something extraordinary about him. The only way I drop him lower than 25th is if he's vastly out of shape, acts like a fool with teams during interviews, or something worse than pot smoking and running up a credit card comes out.

I'll be writing more about him in before and after a vacation. (next 10-15 days)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to be open minded about a WR who makes bad decisions off of the field and hasn't played a snap in over a year but after hearing what Bloom said about him, I'm in buy mode.

He's available in a 45 man PPR dynasty in which we use blind bids to acquire FAs from now up until the season starts. I threw a $2 claim on him as a "WHAT THE HELL!?"

If he does still run a 4.4 with his size, somebody will give him a shot with a 3rd/4th supplemental pick.

I just drafted him in the early 4th round of a 12 teamer.

I'll pass on the Ganaways, Brazils, etc.....for a shot at this kid. His acceleration is off the charts from the video I saw of him in Waldmans feed.

If he doesn't pan out, it's low cost.

Will be interseting to see how high he gets drafted, or, what round/bids teams place on him. Love to see if the Redskins get some heavy influence to take him.

Schefter tweets on Gordon.

He says he's a "rare talent" and names at 'least' seven teams who could be interested and also speculates that Josh could fetch as high as a 2nd round draft pick.

Schefter Tweets on Gordon

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

Josh Gordon is bigger, faster, stronger than former Baylor teammate Kendall Wright. As far as supplemental drafts go, he is a rare talent.

Receiver needy teams that figure to be interested in Josh Gordon: Browns, Dolphins, Panthers, Colts, Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins and more.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound Josh Gordon is expected to be timed in the 40-yard dash in the 4.4s or better. He could go as high as 2nd round.

Former Baylor WR Josh Gordon, who declared for Thursday's supplemental draft, is scheduled to hold his Pro Day on Tues. at Texans facility.
I don't know if he rates a second round draft pick and with his sketchy background I would doubt he'd grade out as a third round pick but the sheer number of teams reportedly in the mix and with one of those teams the Washington Redskins who just paid three first round picks and a high second round pick to move up a few spots in the draft we know those idiots will probably throw their second round pick for a lottery ticket so its quite possible that he will wind up as a second round supplimental pick.

The hype on this guy is a bit ridiculous, part of which I think is due to draft hangover. He certainly has potential as a developmental player, but there's the character concern and more importantly his ability to run routes. He would have been a 3rd/4th round pick in this year's draft it doesn't make sense to spend more than 3rd when that pick will net a good player next year.

The hype on this guy is a bit ridiculous, part of which I think is due to draft hangover. He certainly has potential as a developmental player, but there's the character concern and more importantly his ability to run routes. He would have been a 3rd/4th round pick in this year's draft it doesn't make sense to spend more than 3rd when that pick will net a good player next year.
How do you know the 3rd will net a good player next year? There's a pretty high bust rate for 3rd rounders.

How do you know the 3rd will net a good player next year? There's a pretty high bust rate for 3rd rounders.
There's a high probability anyone will be a bust, including Gordon. The team that takes him now is making a big risk without knowing who will be available next year. I view him as a project who won't make much of an impact right away so I'd rather keep the 3rd and see if there's a better player for the team in the 2013 draft. Unless he could be had for a 4th I don't think he's worth it. Since it's a win-now league though I expect someone to use a 3rd on him.

There's a high probability anyone will be a bust, including Gordon. The team that takes him now is making a big risk without knowing who will be available next year. I view him as a project who won't make much of an impact right away so I'd rather keep the 3rd and see if there's a better player for the team in the 2013 draft. Unless he could be had for a 4th I don't think he's worth it. Since it's a win-now league though I expect someone to use a 3rd on him.
Gotcha. I guess I can understand this, though if you like this guy's game I think a 3rd is fine - there's risk either way.

I wanted to be open minded about a WR who makes bad decisions off of the field and hasn't played a snap in over a year but after hearing what Bloom said about him, I'm in buy mode. He's available in a 45 man PPR dynasty in which we use blind bids to acquire FAs from now up until the season starts. I threw a $2 claim on him as a "WHAT THE HELL!?"If he does still run a 4.4 with his size, somebody will give him a shot with a 3rd/4th supplemental pick.
I suspect you'll be outbid.

I'm in. Just going on Waldman's write-up, why not take a chance at such a low cost?
cost isn't so low in my league. Already bid up to 900k or so (for example Garcon went for 2mil and Santonio 3mil this offseason... and Boldin 800k) out of a 45mil salary cap. That's pretty high under the circumstances.

I'm in. Just going on Waldman's write-up, why not take a chance at such a low cost?
cost isn't so low in my league. Already bid up to 900k or so (for example Garcon went for 2mil and Santonio 3mil this offseason... and Boldin 800k) out of a 45mil salary cap. That's pretty high under the circumstances.
Good point. Depending on league rules, he might not be right for everybody.

Gave a 13 2nd for him and Stephens howling.

16 team league and pick is 26-32 overall.

Should actually add I traded for the 4.01 in a split draft which doesn't resume until preseason. Don't need to take him if someone better comes along.

I wouldn't touch him at all. If he cared about football he wouldn't have had so many issues. Over the past 3 years he showed he could give a #### about football. He wants some $$

I wouldn't touch him at all. If he cared about football he wouldn't have had so many issues. Over the past 3 years he showed he could give a #### about football. He wants some $$
1. He has been out of football for less than 2 years, about 19 months. Where the hell did you get three years from? Some horrible rounding going on here.2. Do you even know why he's been out of football?He was caught with marijuana, which isn't uncommon, and it's not a huge personality deterrent for many. Baylor suspended him and he transferred to Utah. If you know NCAA transfer rules, transfers have to sit out a year before they can play. That is why he didn't play in 2011. So he was suspended for a small infraction and the NCAA prevented him from playing football for ONE season.3. He wants money so he declared for the supplemental draft. What's new? I'm sure 100% of players in the NFL don't play for fun only. He also transferred, he could have easily been on a scholarship and lost it when he was suspended and transferred. Neither of us know his financial situation, so if he believes he needs money, then why is it a bad thing for him to look for employment in the NFL?

'Bamac said:
I wanted to be open minded about a WR who makes bad decisions off of the field and hasn't played a snap in over a year but after hearing what Bloom said about him, I'm in buy mode. He's available in a 45 man PPR dynasty in which we use blind bids to acquire FAs from now up until the season starts. I threw a $2 claim on him as a "WHAT THE HELL!?"If he does still run a 4.4 with his size, somebody will give him a shot with a 3rd/4th supplemental pick.
Yea, I actually added a substantially larger bid and got him. Now I'm just hoping he has a great Pro Day today and ready to see where he lands Thursday.

One of my league-mates spent over half their Blind-bidding dollars for the year on this guy. Hype is getting insane! :)

'Bamac said:
Yea, I actually added a substantially larger bid and got him. Now I'm just hoping he has a great Pro Day today and ready to see where he lands Thursday.
I heard he just tore his ACL and MCL at his pro day. :unsure:

'Bamac said:
:unsure:

'Bamac said:
Link? Or are you joking? :mellow:

1. He has been out of football for less than 2 years, about 19 months. Where the hell did you get three years from? Some horrible rounding going on here.2. Do you even know why he's been out of football?He was caught with marijuana, which isn't uncommon, and it's not a huge personality deterrent for many. Baylor suspended him and he transferred to Utah. If you know NCAA transfer rules, transfers have to sit out a year before they can play. That is why he didn't play in 2011. So he was suspended for a small infraction and the NCAA prevented him from playing football for ONE season.3. He wants money so he declared for the supplemental draft. What's new? I'm sure 100% of players in the NFL don't play for fun only. He also transferred, he could have easily been on a scholarship and lost it when he was suspended and transferred. Neither of us know his financial situation, so if he believes he needs money, then why is it a bad thing for him to look for employment in the NFL?
I thought his issues started in 2010...2010 (1), 2011 (2) & 2012 (3)...wasn't trying to be month specific.Yes I know whyI'm not saying it's bad but why transfer and sit out the year only to enter the draft now? Something doesnt add up. Either he got into something or he's just not bright...pick a side of the sword.And does any of this matter? This time next year he'll probably be on another team anyway...

'Bamac said:
Yeah, then he ran a 4.10 40 on his torn up leg. Put up a 52" vertical. Did the 3-cone in 4.7 seconds and scored a 50 on the wonderlic.

'Bamac said:
This is not cool to do in here at all. Gordon's workout is at about 2pm.

Baylor WR Josh Gordon measured in at 6-foot-3, 224 pounds in his Tuesday Pro Day, and was unofficially timed at 4.52 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

4.52 is solid for a guy who probably didn't have the speed coaching and pre workout routine that other prospects may have had. 10'1" is a pretty good broad jump.

What is up with the rounding of numbers in here? 4.52 is hardly 4.6. Why not just say 5.0? At least that is mathematically defensible.

Users who are viewing this thread