What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (9 Viewers)

There has been at least one case already where there was an arbitrated ruling and a players suspension has been reduced to settle a law suit - and this from a guy who submitted a non-human urine sample for drug testing!

Granted, every case is unique. But I think you are making this out to be a little more clear-cut than it really is. I don't think Henderson was bribed or stoned that go-round (it was the same guy) and the NFL still decided that in that particular case, holding fast to the ruled on and arbitrated suspension wasn't worth the suit.
What case are you referring to?

The thing to keep in mind is that even since the CBA, the arbitrator is appointed by Goodell. As long as that is the case, there are going to be questions about bias, whether the situation was collectively bargained or not. You don't have to prove the arbitrator was bribed or stoned you just have to show he might be prejudiced. Collective bargaining helps the NFL's position tremendously, but it isn't fool-proof. The individuals collectively bargained for still have individual rights.
I was under the impression that any arbitrator in these kinds of cases had to be approved by the NFLPA. Is that not the case? If the arbitrator is appointed by Goodell and not approved by the NFLPA, that seems pretty crazy. In that case, I take back what I said about distinguishing the Gordon case from the StarCaps case.

There has been at least one case already where there was an arbitrated ruling and a players suspension has been reduced to settle a law suit - and this from a guy who submitted a non-human urine sample for drug testing!

Granted, every case is unique. But I think you are making this out to be a little more clear-cut than it really is. I don't think Henderson was bribed or stoned that go-round (it was the same guy) and the NFL still decided that in that particular case, holding fast to the ruled on and arbitrated suspension wasn't worth the suit.
What case are you referring to?

The thing to keep in mind is that even since the CBA, the arbitrator is appointed by Goodell. As long as that is the case, there are going to be questions about bias, whether the situation was collectively bargained or not. You don't have to prove the arbitrator was bribed or stoned you just have to show he might be prejudiced. Collective bargaining helps the NFL's position tremendously, but it isn't fool-proof. The individuals collectively bargained for still have individual rights.
I was under the impression that any arbitrator in these kinds of cases had to be approved by the NFLPA. Is that not the case? If the arbitrator is appointed by Goodell and not approved by the NFLPA, that seems pretty crazy. In that case, I take back what I said about distinguishing the Gordon case from the StarCaps case.
I think he's talking about DJ Williams and Ryan McBean. If I remember all the details right, they both had 6 game suspensions. In their case, the sample collector certified that he'd seen them pee directly into the container, yet the sample came up as non-human. He was later fired for dereliction of duty.

Both Williams and McBean threatened a lawsuit. The NFL and McBean agreed on a 3-game suspension, but Williams turned the offer down. Williams went ahead and filed his lawsuit and the NFL won a motion to have it summarily dismissed, and the appeals court upheld it.

Last edited by a moderator:
NJ said:
PatsWillWin said:
I'm still not aware of how there can be both a ruling by the arbitor AND a suspension that is less than 16 games. I don't even know if that is possible, which is odd considering the number of people who are like "I think he misses 8 games." How?
This is the most confusing part for me, as I've read all of the "all or nothing" stuff which would seem to imply that he either gets 0 or 16 games so I was in the same boat as you thinking the only way he could get somewhere in between would be a settlement. But not sure the arbitrator is going to hand him a suspension vs. just deciding if he violated the policy or not.

Even if he does the lose the appeal, if I'm not mistaken, he violated the policy last year with the codeine and according to the drug policy he should have been suspended 4 games. But the NFL reduced the suspension from 4 games to 2 games (presumably because he had a prescription?) so it does appear that the NFL has some discretion in the penalties they hand out based on individual cases and that not all players/violations are treated 100% equal even though some people seem to imply there is absolutely no deviating from the penalties called for in the drug policy. Seems like its still possible (although unlikely) that he loses the appeal and the NFL reduces his season long suspension from 16 to 8 (or whatever) given the circumstances. If they did it before, I don't see why it couldn't happen again.
As I understand it, the "all or nothing" was about whether the arbitrator could set a different punishment, or whether it was all or nothing. According to the NFL spokesman, it's all or nothing for the arbitrator's decision.

The league can still lessen the punishment if they choose. So yes, something between 0 and 16 games is a possibility. Just the arbitrator isn't the one who would get to make that decision.

Browns sources are baffled as to why Josh Gordon ruling has taken so long and frustrated over where it could leave them and Gordon. If a year-long suspension is announced now, Gordon would miss all of next summer's training camp under the policy. Browns sources said there would be an extreme amount of frustration in the organization over that ruling and why it has taken so long to hand down

Announcement coming today! per espn radio
Not that I'm calling you a liar, but why has NOONE of worth running w this story?
yea not to be accusative, but if this is another case of blowing smoke, dude should be banned IMO. way too much of that happening in this thread. may have been clever the first time... now just incredibly dumb.
Not making it up. I just went back to the report to make sure I heard it right. Go to espnradio and go to 11:37:44 to listen to the report.

Timing

The NFL likes to make most of their suspension related announcements on Fridays. A running joke on Twitter the last two weeks has been to make sure you were by your computer about 4:45PM on Friday for the Gordon announcement. It is possible that the league wants to make the announcement after many of the 4th pre-season games are finished so the news cycle is shorter as fans get ready and excited for the start of the regular season.
Makes sense.

Announcement coming today! per espn radio
Not that I'm calling you a liar, but why has NOONE of worth running w this story?
yea not to be accusative, but if this is another case of blowing smoke, dude should be banned IMO. way too much of that happening in this thread. may have been clever the first time... now just incredibly dumb.
Not making it up. I just went back to the report to make sure I heard it right. Go to espnradio and go to 11:37:44 to listen to the report.
Probably pure speculation

Please let the announcement be for 16 games so those of us drafting tonight can snag him up cheap one last time before the negotiations begin on how much, if at all, his suspension will be reduced by.

Please let the announcement be for 16 games so those of us drafting tonight can snag him up cheap one last time before the negotiations begin on how much, if at all, his suspension will be reduced by.
My understanding is negotiation time is over. Any decision now is final.

I think.

Well, gents....

It's been a blast. Got to know some of you pretty well. Some of you have a bit to work on in regards to just having a little fun, but all in all, it was the funnest thread Ive ever taken part in.

Regardless of the outcome, Ill be here. Actually, I leave for vacation tomorrow for 5 days, so I do hope the announcement comes today.

Thumbs up, dudes.

Well, gents....

It's been a blast. Got to know some of you pretty well. Some of you have a bit to work on in regards to just having a little fun, but all in all, it was the funnest thread Ive ever taken part in.

Regardless of the outcome, Ill be here. Actually, I leave for vacation tomorrow for 5 days, so I do hope the announcement comes today.

Thumbs up, dudes.
Likely story... I bet if the rulings in your favor you're flight mysteriously gets cancelled :cool:

Well, gents....

Thumbs up, dudes.
Likely story... I bet if the rulings in your favor you're flight mysteriously gets cancelled :cool:
Nah, Ill be in Northern Ontario on a hunting trip. No reception. So good news or bad news, I gotta get all my fun/laughs in today.

Anyone else punch the monitor when "FBG Breaking News" email a few minutes ago turned out to be about Wes Welker?

Odds he's arrested tonight for DWI or drug use/possession this weekend if 16 games hold?

Gotta be pretty good...

So, they doubly screw the Browns by waiting an extra 3 weeks to announce the suspension? Now he's out until at week 4 the of pre-season at the very least? Wow. Glad I'm not a Browns fan...I'd be livid.
Try being a coach, gm or owner of the Browns right now.

Users who are viewing this thread