What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (10 Viewers)

I have Cameron, Gordon and now Hoyer...and I am not a Browns fan. This has garbage time bonanza written all over it. Reminds me of the crazy Derek Anderson, Edwards, Jurevicius season when they went off...I need to swing for the fences since whoever has Peyton will be hard to beat, and the playoff schedule for CLE is not bad...

I would actually rather he not get traded. He's going to be a target hog in Cleveland under Norv. I think Hoyer is good enough of a chucker to get him the ball.
I think I agree.

But I've got both Gordon and Cameron in a dynasty league. Can a Hoyer-level QB keep both of them relevant? Hoyer is going to have to prove he can keep it up (and cut down on the INTs), or we have to hope the new Browns front office will be better at drafting a QB than the old regime.
Doesnt need to cut down on the INTs at all. As long as he's still chucking it next series to keep up.
He does if he wants to keep his starting job, that's what I meant.

I would actually rather he not get traded. He's going to be a target hog in Cleveland under Norv. I think Hoyer is good enough of a chucker to get him the ball.
I feel the same. In an offense like New England, he'd have to learn a new system. There's precidence that a WR has a longer learning curve than a RB on a new team.

I feel the same. In an offense like New England, he'd have to learn a new system. There's precidence that a WR has a longer learning curve than a RB on a new team.
And it seems the Pats offense is harder to learn than most.

I would hate it if the Browns moved Gordon. As a FF owner, I don't see how his situation could get much better: he's the #1 WR threat on a bad team that just traded their only RB. He had 19(!) Targets last week. I don't give a crap that his QB is Hoyer; if he's going to target Gordon 15+ times a game, let's do it.

I feel like a change of scenery has no hope of improving his situation at this point. Any new team will force him to learn an entire new offense & that will hamper his production for at least a few weeks.

I really feel like Gordon can be the steal of the 2013 FF season. I drafted him as my WR5. I feel like he should be a top end WR2 , if not lower half WR1 the rest of the way

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Just traded Spiller for Gordon in a redraft league !
I hope it works out for you (especially since I don't own Spiller anywhere) but this is classic sell low, buy high. He obviously won't be getting 19 targets every week, but hopefully he still puts up WR1 numbers pretty regularly.

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, NFL teams are both "aware and leery" of Josh Gordon's off-field issues.
Gordon is in the NFL's program, having already served a two-game suspension this season after testing positive for codeine. He is one strike away from a season-long ban. It's may keep Gordon's value on the trade market down a little, but more performances like the one he put on in Week 3 will tempt potential suitors. He's 22 years old, 6'4/220 and reminds of Andre Johnson. Schefter reiterates that the Browns are seeking "worthwhile" compensation in a deal for Gordon. The trade deadline is Oct. 29.

Source: ESPN.com

Schefter reiterates that the Browns are seeking "worthwhile" compensation in a deal for Gordon. The trade deadline is Oct. 29.
This is starting to smell really bad. Every time Chud makes a statement saying that they aren't looking to trade Gordon, Shefter pops up saying "Oh yes, you are."

And a few days ago Gordon says Chud called him directly to say they were NOT shopping him, so Shefter comes out again to say "I reiterate, the Browns are looking to trade Gordon"

Wtf

Again, CLE new regime is not linked to existing players, especially the risk that is Gordon. If they can get what they are looking for in exchange, he gone.

LittlePhatty said:
Schefter reiterates that the Browns are seeking "worthwhile" compensation in a deal for Gordon. The trade deadline is Oct. 29.
This is starting to smell really bad. Every time Chud makes a statement saying that they aren't looking to trade Gordon, Shefter pops up saying "Oh yes, you are."

And a few days ago Gordon says Chud called him directly to say they were NOT shopping him, so Shefter comes out again to say "I reiterate, the Browns are looking to trade Gordon"

Wtf
Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi make these decisions not the coach.

LittlePhatty said:

Wtf
I think every team is looking for that with pretty much every player they have before the deadline.

LittlePhatty said:

Wtf
Banner said that they don't have plans to trade him.

Of course he can always say later that they weren't planning to trade him but when New England offered that 4th round pick they just couldn't say no.

I still find it odd that Gordon is being looked at differently than Haden who has already done a 4-game suspension.

LittlePhatty said:
This is starting to smell really bad. Every time Chud makes a statement saying that they aren't looking to trade Gordon, Shefter pops up saying "Oh yes, you are."And a few days ago Gordon says Chud called him directly to say they were NOT shopping him, so Shefter comes out again to say "I reiterate, the Browns are looking to trade Gordon"

Wtf
Banner said that they don't have plans to trade him.Of course he can always say later that they weren't planning to trade him but when New England offered that 4th round pick they just couldn't say no.

I still find it odd that Gordon is being looked at differently than Haden who has already done a 4-game suspension.
how many positive tests did Haden have coming into the league?none that i'm aware of. my guess is that is the discrepancy.

I think the ideal situation would be for Gordon to continue to shine and keep his nose clean finishing with an offseason trade before next's years draft. If that happens I would expect his trade value to be higher than it is now if they really want to trade him.

I think the ideal situation would be for Gordon to continue to shine and keep his nose clean finishing with an offseason trade before next's years draft. If that happens I would expect his trade value to be higher than it is now if they really want to trade him.
If that happens there is no need to trade him.

I'm loving owning him in two leagues, but I will definately be watching him closely. Either way, I own both him and Jordan Cameron in both, so regardless of whether he busts out for the ROS, continues putting up solid numbers, or gets traded, I'll be fine. It might behoove you JGordon owners to make a play for Cameron (provided you don't own a better option), as a sort of handcuff.

This is starting to smell really bad. Every time Chud makes a statement saying that they aren't looking to trade Gordon, Shefter pops up saying "Oh yes, you are."And a few days ago Gordon says Chud called him directly to say they were NOT shopping him, so Shefter comes out again to say "I reiterate, the Browns are looking to trade Gordon"

Wtf
Banner said that they don't have plans to trade him.Of course he can always say later that they weren't planning to trade him but when New England offered that 4th round pick they just couldn't say no.

how many positive tests did Haden have coming into the league?none that i'm aware of. my guess is that is the discrepancy.
Those aren't supposed to matter once the player is in the NFL.

Wtf

Those aren't supposed to matter once the player is in the NFL.
pattern of behavior, i suppose. maybe the guy's just a jerk.

impossible to know exactly what their reasoning is until he's actually traded. that's when the dirty laundry is usually put out for everyone to see.

He's a machine. #1 receiver on a team with another big thread, no running game, and should be playing from behind with lots of garbage points?

Permanent flex spot.

We're having a party.

Everybody's swinging.

Dancing to the music.

On the radio.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1837090616/Josh-Gordon-billed-as-host-of-party-Thursday-after-Buffalo-game?rssfeed=true

Josh Gordon billed as host of party Thursday after Buffalo game

We heard Tony Rizzo talking about this on the Browns’ AM radio flagship and checked it out.
Wideout Josh Gordon is being promoted as a host for an event at Vada Restaurant and Lounge.
The date is Oct. 3, the same day the Browns take on Buffalo in a Thursday Night Football game.
This is how the event is billed on vada.com:

“VADA THURSDAY
HOSTED BY
JOSH GORDON
OCTOBER
3rd
SPECIAL INVITED GUESTS
THE CLEVELAND BROWNS
TAYLOR JONES THE MODEL
$100 BOTTLES
ORIGINAL CIROC &
BELAIRE ROSE
LADIES FREE ALL NIGHT
1437 ST. CLAIRE AVENUE”

A football being pierced by a thunderbolt is shown between Gordon’s first and last names, near an image of Gordon in his jersey No. 12.

Apparently this is a post-game party.

It wouldn't necessarily start for Gordon until Oct. 4. The Browns would be unlikely to get out of the locker room until midnight. Kickoff is 8:25 p.m.

We're having a party.

Everybody's swinging.

Dancing to the music.

On the radio.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1837090616/Josh-Gordon-billed-as-host-of-party-Thursday-after-Buffalo-game?rssfeed=true

We heard Tony Rizzo talking about this on the Browns AM radio flagship and checked it out.

Wideout Josh Gordon is being promoted as a host for an event at Vada Restaurant and Lounge.

The date is Oct. 3, the same day the Browns take on Buffalo in a Thursday Night Football game.

VADA THURSDAY

HOSTED BY

JOSH GORDON

OCTOBER

3rd

SPECIAL INVITED GUESTS

THE CLEVELAND BROWNS

TAYLOR JONES THE MODEL

$100 BOTTLES

ORIGINAL CIROC &

BELAIRE ROSE

LADIES FREE ALL NIGHT

1437 ST. CLAIRE AVENUE

A football being pierced by a thunderbolt is shown between Gordons first and last names, near an image of Gordon in his jersey No. 12.

It wouldn't necessarily start for Gordon until Oct. 4. The Browns would be unlikely to get out of the locker room until midnight. Kickoff is 8:25 p.m.
Oh no, just what he needs...Dang

We're having a party.

Everybody's swinging.

Dancing to the music.

On the radio.

We heard Tony Rizzo talking about this on the Browns AM radio flagship and checked it out.

VADA THURSDAY

HOSTED BY

JOSH GORDON

OCTOBER

3rd

SPECIAL INVITED GUESTS

THE CLEVELAND BROWNS

TAYLOR JONES THE MODEL

$100 BOTTLES

ORIGINAL CIROC &

BELAIRE ROSE

LADIES FREE ALL NIGHT

1437 ST. CLAIRE AVENUE

A football being pierced by a thunderbolt is shown between Gordons first and last names, near an image of Gordon in his jersey No. 12.

Oh no, just what he needs...Dang
Better trade him after this week.

Anyone concerned he'll have to contend with Leon Hall on Sunday? Don't know how good Hall actually is. I mean if the Browns are just going to be throwing most of the game anyway, he's bound to produce enough to be flex-worthy at least right...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone concerned he'll have to contend with Leon Hall on Sunday? I'm trying to figure out if this actually means anything tangible. I mean if the Browns are just going to be throwing most of the game anyway...
Hall is doubtful for Sunday. If the Bengals can't get to Hoyer he will have a good day.

Anyone concerned he'll have to contend with Leon Hall on Sunday? I'm trying to figure out if this actually means anything tangible. I mean if the Browns are just going to be throwing most of the game anyway...
Hall is doubtful for Sunday. If the Bengals can't get to Hoyer he will have a good day.
That's positive news. I've been going back and forth between him and Garcon for flex for this week. Things like that make the difference.

I wish Harbaugh & the 49ers management would take a serious shot at him. All they really have is Boldin & Davis plus Gore outta the bacfield. I don't think Boldin can keep up his pace for 16 games. Gordon would help take pressure off guys PLUS get production. We need someone next to Boldin NOW!! We can't sit & wait on Crabtree. Throw out a 2014 second rounder and see what happens. I think that's get him.

Bouncing between starting Gordon & Marshall.I know start your studs but Marshall's not exactly tearing it up. Cincy has DB's outso if Hoyer gets time he's gonna throw. Might wait until Sunday to decide but I'm leaning a little toward Gordon. Cutler doesn't impress me that much and the Lions secondary isn't too bad, so Marshall will probably get double-teamed.

I would hate it if the Browns moved Gordon. As a FF owner, I don't see how his situation could get much better: he's the #1 WR threat on a bad team that just traded their only RB. He had 19(!) Targets last week. I don't give a crap that his QB is Hoyer; if he's going to target Gordon 15+ times a game, let's do it.

I feel like a change of scenery has no hope of improving his situation at this point. Any new team will force him to learn an entire new offense & that will hamper his production for at least a few weeks.

I really feel like Gordon can be the steal of the 2013 FF season. I drafted him as my WR5. I feel like he should be a top end WR2 , if not lower half WR1 the rest of the way
I just saw that he had 19 targets. That is an insane number and it obviously won't hold up but if he keeps getting 30-35% of Cleveland's targets he has some ridiculous upside the rest of the way. Cle has put up 53, 37 & 55 passes during the first three weeks (48/game).

Just because it is fun to speculate in these threads here is how I would project his downside.

Viewing it very conservatively if the Browns throw 35 passes/game for the rest of the season (not likely considering the state of their running game and the fact that I don't expect them to have to many leads) and if Gordon gets 25% of those targets that puts him at 8.75 targets/game. If he catches 50% of those passes (he caught 52.6% this week and that is his career mark as well) that is 4.4 catches/week. His current average per catch is 14.6 yards (last year it was 16.1 on 50 receptions) so let's call it 13.5 ypc (just to be very conservative). For his career he catches a TD on 10% of his receptions.

IMO that puts his downside for the rest of the season at 57 receptions, 768 yards and 5.7 TDs.

That is not a bad downside IMO.

I wish Harbaugh & the 49ers management would take a serious shot at him. All they really have is Boldin & Davis plus Gore outta the bacfield. I don't think Boldin can keep up his pace for 16 games. Gordon would help take pressure off guys PLUS get production. We need someone next to Boldin NOW!! We can't sit & wait on Crabtree. Throw out a 2014 second rounder and see what happens. I think that's get him.

Bouncing between starting Gordon & Marshall.I know start your studs but Marshall's not exactly tearing it up. Cincy has DB's outso if Hoyer gets time he's gonna throw. Might wait until Sunday to decide but I'm leaning a little toward Gordon. Cutler doesn't impress me that much and the Lions secondary isn't too bad, so Marshall will probably get double-teamed.
I don't see the 49ers trading for a guy like Gordon.

So where can one find statistics for % of targets during the season? I would like to find out what % of targets typical WR1s get. Current and historical data would be awesome.

So where can one find statistics for % of targets during the season? I would like to find out what % of targets typical WR1s get. Current and historical data would be awesome.
Just a quick examination of last year suggests that 25% may be high as an expectation for # of targets a WR1 can expect to receive. A better conservative # would be 20%. Using that my estimation for Gordon's floor would be: 46 receptions, 614 yards and 4.6 TDs.

impossible to know exactly what their reasoning is until he's actually traded. that's when the dirty laundry is usually put out for everyone to see.
Interesting to note, heard interview with CLE beat writer. He says Gordon actually a bright, engaging guy. May be just a substance abuse issue. Addicts are often fun and gregarious personalities when not strung out or high out of their minds..

pattern of behavior, i suppose.

maybe the guy's just a jerk.

Interesting to note, heard interview with CLE beat writer. He says Gordon actually a bright, engaging guy. May be just a substance abuse issue. Addicts are often fun and gregarious personalities when not strung out or high out of their minds..
i agree. i have not personally heard anything about the guy through the grape vine.

just trying to speculate why the Browns may be down on him.

He smokes weed let's not go crazy with the addict talk.

Users who are viewing this thread