What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (8 Viewers)

Why would the representatives that are in the AFC North agree to reinstatement. Why would the representatives of the AFC west agree to reinstatement. Why would any team that would not have a player reinstated agree to reinstatement as part of the deal?
Because it means one of their brothers will get paid.

Why would the representatives that are in the AFC North agree to reinstatement. Why would the representatives of the AFC west agree to reinstatement. Why would any team that would not have a player reinstated agree to reinstatement as part of the deal?
Because maybe they actually take their jobs of acting in the best interest of ALL players seriously.

I get what you're saying but the threshold for pot is so low, any of those teams could have a player busted at any moment.

It also means Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cincy will have to face Gordon twice this year same thing for K.C, Oakland, San Diego with Welker. I'm not sure that is in their best interest...Competitive edge and all...They can still get what they want without the reinstatement agreement...My understanding is it takes 17 teams to pass,,,I wonder how many teams would actually get a valued player back if reinstatement is part of the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
It also means Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cincy will have to face Gordon twice this year same thing for K.C, Oakland, San Diego with Welker. I'm not sure that is in their best interest...Competitive edge and all...They can still get what they want without the reinstatement agreement...My understanding is it takes 17 teams to pass,,,I wonder how many teams would actually get a valued player back if reinstatement is part of the deal.
They aren't going to vote down a new drug agreement simply based on the fact that it might help a couple of teams in a couple of games this season. I think you are misjudging the priorities of NFL players.

meh - steelers already faced Cleveland - they are motivated to get Gordon back on the field before the Ravens and Bengals play the Browns.

They aren't going to vote down a new drug agreement simply based on the fact that it might help a couple of teams in a couple of games this season. I think you are misjudging the priorities of NFL players.
You do understand they can pass the same proposed drug agreement without retro reinstatement ..correct.

You really don't understand what a player rep does, do you?

You do understand they can pass the same proposed drug agreement without retro reinstatement ..correct.
Who is "they". Its the players union that is pushing for the reinstatement, not the NFL.

About the appeals issue, it's actually really hard to be judge, jury and executioner. Mistakes can be made. I can understand Goodell's ego and all that but if I was an owner in the league I would be thinking it might be a really good idea to have someone in the league office independently reviewing punishments and penalties (and the evidence underlying them).
People always bring up Goodell's ego, but all he is is the mouthpiece of the owners. It's the owners who want their commissioner to have sole control over doling out punishment. My guess is Goodell would be fine with having some one else make the final rulings after appeal. It would make his life easier.

Mike Cairns ‏@MikeCairns5 2m

Ed Werder reporting on ESPN that NFL players have agreed on raising testing threshold for pot which would immediately bring 20players back
20 players? Are there even 20 players currently suspended for marijuana that would fallen under the new threshold?
My thought is, why would the NFL players NOT agree on raising testing threshold?? Of course they agree on that part....not really a step forward in any direction, more of a given IMO.

Ed Werder reporting on ESPN that NFL players have agreed on raising testing threshold for pot which would immediately bring 20players back
20 players? Are there even 20 players currently suspended for marijuana that would fallen under the new threshold?
My thought is, why would the NFL players NOT agree on raising testing threshold?? Of course they agree on that part....not really a step forward in any direction, more of a given IMO.
You're right, but hopefully this at least shuts up all the people claiming that a new agreement wouldn't #FreeJoshGordon.

The key now is actually getting an agreement in place, with sticking points left to hash on:

1. Certain HGH appeals processes;

2. Immediate DUI suspensions.

Both of these seem like major hurdles to me, so this could take weeks, if not all season. But I'll hold on to Josh for as long as I can or until more clarity emerges. So close, and yet so far.

Last thing I'll say is... If you don't own Josh Gordon and are checking this thread repeatedly, or especially if you are posting repeatedly, I feel sorry for you.

It's a bone to throw to get what they really want, which is HGH testing

Not sure why the NFLPA agreed to such a low threshold to start with....

You're right, but hopefully this at least shuts up all the people claiming that a new agreement wouldn't #FreeJoshGordon.

The key now is actually getting an agreement in place, with sticking points left to hash on:

Both of these seem like major hurdles to me, so this could take weeks, if not all season. But I'll hold on to Josh for as long as I can or until more clarity emerges. So close, and yet so far.

Last thing I'll say is... If you don't own Josh Gordon and are checking this thread repeatedly, or especially if you are posting repeatedly, I feel sorry for you.
I don't think it answers the question of Josh Gordon specifically, because his positive test (his violation) would be from before this NFL year. Welker will be in decent shape if this goes through, but Gordon is going to be dependent on the language of the agreement.

Why?

While we all wait on the outcome of this process I figure I will throw this out there for thought.

The NFL's policy on marijuana, coupled with it's fostering of prescription drug abuse and financial partnerships with prescription drug companies, is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible. The NFLPA was/is complicit in this and sold out for money over 30 years ago. And now it's a huge bargaining chip that has drastically swayed leverage on the issue in the owners favor.

But to be clear, the policy is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible.

While we all wait on the outcome of this process I figure I will throw this out there for thought.

The NFL's policy on marijuana, coupled with it's fostering of prescription drug abuse and financial partnerships with prescription drug companies, is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible. The NFLPA was/is complicit in this and sold out for money over 30 years ago. And now it's a huge bargaining chip that has drastically swayed leverage on the issue in the owners favor.

But to be clear, the policy is medically indefensible and morally reprehensible.
:coffee: Go on, I'm listening. Reprehensible is a strong word.

Warm.....Doughy.....Flakey...

Toaster Strudel!!

I bet all this anxiety makes El Gordo jones even harder for a phat ice cold chamber full of stank smoke :)

If it doesn't fit, you must acquit

Why does the NFL care about HGH testing? HGH makes their league more attractive. Bigger,stronger,faster = better
Why does the NFL care about anything? :moneybag:

In the future, the NFL will be sued for allowing/encouraging players to do some damage to themselves or others, or when some high School kid does something to emulate his NFL heroes. By taking this stand, the NFL is simply doing what it can to limit those claims that it did nothing - no different than its stance on concussions.

HGH is so awesome..... The recovery your body gets... its amazing

Without it HGH most NFL players would be like Glass Joe from Mike Tysons Punch Out

Why does the NFL care about HGH testing? HGH makes their league more attractive. Bigger,stronger,faster = better
a valid question... 0% of NFL fandom has been clamoring for HGH testing... the only potential impacts are negative...
My guess would be to avoid future lawsuits. One may argue the stance that the league turned a blind eye toward HGH forcing players to need to take HGH to stay competitive and they are now suffering because of it. Same reason any sport wants testing. To avoid future lawsuits. Same as concussions. The league is trying to avoid future litigation.

Mike Cairns@MikeCairns5 2m
Per Werder.NFL stepped away from original proposal that players arrested for DUI would be deactivated for one game. Waiting on new proposal Mike Cairns@MikeCairns5 26s
NFLPA waiting on new proposal to be presented.

a valid question... 0% of NFL fandom has been clamoring for HGH testing... the only potential impacts are negative...
My guess would be to avoid future lawsuits. One may argue the stance that the league turned a blind eye toward HGH forcing players to need to take HGH to stay competitive and they are now suffering because of it. Same reason any sport wants testing. To avoid future lawsuits. Same as concussions. The league is trying to avoid future litigation.
totally forgot the legal angle on this... agree 100%

Seems like this has to get done today for Gordon to have any chance this week...beginning to think it may play out until their week 4 bye, and he returns week 5.
I think they could sort this out Saturday night at midnight, and Gordon would start on Sunday.
No.
Seems like this has to get done today for Gordon to have any chance this week...beginning to think it may play out until their week 4 bye, and he returns week 5.
I think they could sort this out Saturday night at midnight, and Gordon would start on Sunday.
No.
Why? If the agreement is that the new drug policy will be applied retroactively, then Gordon's test is below the threshold and hence his suspension should be lifted immediately.
I don't think they could sort this out by Saturday, and I don't think if they did Gordon would start on Sunday.

And, there is no new drug policy yet, nor is there an agreement to apply it retroactively. So, that's a lot of ifs to hope come to pass.

Mike Cairns@MikeCairns5 2m

Per Werder.NFL stepped away from original proposal that players arrested for DUI would be deactivated for one game. Waiting on new proposal Mike Cairns@MikeCairns5 26s

NFLPA waiting on new proposal to be presented.
so this guy watches espn all day and tweets what werder reports on TV before werder can put it in his own twitter?

edit im not much better as i sit here all day refreshing this thread... :)

Why would this tweet shut anyone up?

The players aren't the one who are holding back on retroactively applying a new policy, the NFL is. Read the reports from last night/this morning. The belief is that retroactively applying the new policy "won't be a big hurdle." That means it is a hurdle, i.e.-it wasn't part of the proposal the NFL gave to the NFLPA.

Until we see something that says the NFL is willing to apply the policy retroactively, a new agreement won't apply to Gordon, Welker, et al. And based on what we've seen/heard/read, IMO the NFL is holding that carrot back in exchange for the NFLPA caving on the DUI arrest/suspension thing, or the power of the Commish to hear appeals, or some other area they disagree with the NFL on.

Because when they are sued in the future by players that have brain tumors that claimed they took HGH in order to maintain their jobs in the NFL, the league can show the courts they had a testing program in place.

1) PR Image

2) Integrity of the game

3) Pressure from congress

4) The shield themselves from future lawsuits

5) youth have already been opting out from football due to the concussion thing. HGH is one more barrier to entry of youth entering into the sport. NFL doesn't want youth to lose interest in the sport

:coffee: Go on, I'm listening. Reprehensible is a strong word.
It is a strong word, which is why I chose to use it.

Here's a start:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/opinion/the-nfls-absurd-marijuana-policy.html?_r=0

Users who are viewing this thread