What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (14 Viewers)

from Adam Caplan, NFL reporter @ Houston:

According to TFY Draft's Tony Pauline, Gordon suffered a quad injury during the run.

What is up with the rounding of numbers in here? 4.52 is hardly 4.6. Why not just say 5.0? At least that is mathematically defensible.
I always add .1 to unofficial hand-timed 40 times.
4.52 doesn't bother me. There are plenty of big receivers producing that I would guess are not that fast. ( i.e Colston). Can he run routes? Who knows. Can he catch? Bloom and Waldman say yes.

Here's Pauline's tweet:

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline

Results from Josh Gordon pro-day: 6031/224lbs...36" vert, 10'-1" broad..13 reps on bench...4.52/forty but pulled/hurt quad during the run..

Also from Pauline:

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline

Understand he's going to try and run routes...more later...

Last edited by a moderator:
More from Caplan:

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

Josh Gordon pulled his left quadriceps, but was able to finish all routes etc during workout. Didn't drop a pass.

Some tweets from John McClain, NFL reporter for the Houston Chronicle:

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Just interviewed WR Josh Gordon after his workout for NFL teams. Very impressive. Said all the right things.

Gordon is 6-3 1/8, 224 and ran 4.52. 21 teams there, 6 with multiple reps from personnel dept.

Gordon said he was suspended by Baylor after failing a marijuana test. Said he learned his lesson and vowed not to do it again.

Is Josh Gordon being overhyped?Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2012, 6:45 PM EDTAs we hear more and more about how many teams are interested in former Baylor receiver Josh Gordon and how high can go in Thursday’s supplemental NFL draft, it’s important to remember the guiding principle of April’s regular NFL draft.Teams routinely are full of something other than chocolate.During the regular draft, teams tend to say good things about players they don’t like and bad things about players they do. So with such a groundswell of good things being said about Gordon, it’s hard not to wonder whether some teams are hoping that someone will use too high of a supplemental pick on Gordon.The benefit comes not just from having a competitor urinate away a pick they could have used next April on a better prospect. Having a team give up, say, a second-round selection means that there will be one less selection in round two next season, pushing players a given team may covet even farther down the board.None of this means Gordon isn’t worthy of being taken in round two when it’s time for teams to decide when/if to sacrifice a corresponding 2013 draft pick for Gordon. It only means that some of the teams who are talking him up may be doing so in order to ensure that someone takes him higher than he otherwise should go.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/10/is-josh-gordon-being-overhyped/Post from Florio about all the Gordon hype. I tend to agree with him. All these team "sources" giving out their grade on him; it makes no sense whatsoever in this type of draft.

Is Josh Gordon being overhyped?Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2012, 6:45 PM EDTAs we hear more and more about how many teams are interested in former Baylor receiver Josh Gordon and how high can go in Thursday’s supplemental NFL draft, it’s important to remember the guiding principle of April’s regular NFL draft.Teams routinely are full of something other than chocolate.During the regular draft, teams tend to say good things about players they don’t like and bad things about players they do. So with such a groundswell of good things being said about Gordon, it’s hard not to wonder whether some teams are hoping that someone will use too high of a supplemental pick on Gordon.The benefit comes not just from having a competitor urinate away a pick they could have used next April on a better prospect. Having a team give up, say, a second-round selection means that there will be one less selection in round two next season, pushing players a given team may covet even farther down the board.None of this means Gordon isn’t worthy of being taken in round two when it’s time for teams to decide when/if to sacrifice a corresponding 2013 draft pick for Gordon. It only means that some of the teams who are talking him up may be doing so in order to ensure that someone takes him higher than he otherwise should go.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/10/is-josh-gordon-being-overhyped/Post from Florio about all the Gordon hype. I tend to agree with him. All these team "sources" giving out their grade on him; it makes no sense whatsoever in this type of draft.
Or maybe that's what they want each other to think so that everyone else gives up too low of a draft pick. :unsure:

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
'football fan said:
What did Calvin Johnson run for a forty when he was preparing for the NFL Draft?
Note that Calvin ran it in someone else's shoes while running backwards.
Note that he also didn't have his legs or feet with him at the time and had to use some temporary replacements. The Gods were making minor tweaks to them in preparation for the NFL.

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
'football fan said:
What did Calvin Johnson run for a forty when he was preparing for the NFL Draft?
I know you're joking, but similarly, I read somewhere today that when DMC ran his 4.3ish 40, he wasn't very prepared. He was even wearing cross-trainers instead of the fancy sprinting shoes everyone else wears to cut down small fractions of a second. So its very possible that he would have hit the 4.2's. Total freak.

Did you guys know there was another Big12 WR who is 6-3, 220+ and ran a 4.5 at his Pro Day? I didn't think so.

This guy has a sketchy background, the drug suspension will be taken into account.

He planned to transfer and prove that he had cleaned up his act but we don't really have the reason why he decied to ditch that plan and try the supplemental draft but with QB RG III going for a record windfall of draft picks and with WR Kendall Wright going pretty high in the draft he would have to feel the iron is hot for Baylor offensive players connected to the passing game and I would have to agree.

He's got physical gifts, nice size over 6'3, huge hands over 10', and a wide catch radius.

He has had some issue with drops. I don't know who to compare him to but the closest I know of who recently entered the NFL draft after missing a year due to suspension and with limited WR experience with 'somewhat' similiar skills is WR Greg Little who went at the end of the second round.

The very first glimpse the NFL decision makers get of Gordon and he comes up with a 'respectable' but not fantastic 40 and he gimps up a quad.

I don't see anyone who gives an honest evaluation of him dishing a second round pick. A third still seems high to me but if he goes for a fourth round pick I think that would be in the acceptable ballpark but I think that someone will pull the trigger in the third round.

He seems raw and now I do have some concerns over his conditioning and we really don't have the book on him so I think their is risk/reward but the reward would be at least a year off.

Wide receivers are tough to predict and supplemental guys are really-really tough to predict IMHO.

The one thing I do like is those huge 10'+ hands and that catch radius.

I don't like the baggage and with supplemental picks you never know who will be available next year and this guy is at least a year away so any jump is mitagated.

Tough call.

per Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora):

--When i got on the phone with supplemental draft WR Josh Gordon late last night he had just hung up with RG3, his former Baylor QB...

--RG3 is pushing the Redskins brass hard to land Gordon in tomorrow's draft. Many teams interested, about 20 at Gordon's pro day Tues...

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
'football fan said:
I know you're joking, but similarly, I read somewhere today that when DMC ran his 4.3ish 40, he wasn't very prepared. He was even wearing cross-trainers instead of the fancy sprinting shoes everyone else wears to cut down small fractions of a second. So its very possible that he would have hit the 4.2's. Total freak.
The "some one else's shoes" part is not a joke - he forgot to bring his shoes and had to borrow a pair.

Did you guys know there was another Big12 WR who is 6-3, 220+ and ran a 4.5 at his Pro Day? I didn't think so.
Limas Sweed was about 5 lbs. shy of 220.http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=8826&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR
Sweed is the one player that Gordon reminds me of the most actually.But I was referring to this past year. Wes Kemp, Missouri: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83339&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

5th round pick Juron Criner was 6-3, 224, 10.5" hands, 38" vert and ran a 4.54 at his Pro Day.

per Albert Breer of NFL Network (@AlbertBreer):

Kicking over rocks on Josh Gordon in advance of tomorrow. An exec & a scout used same word: "Overhyped". Said he'd have gone R5-7 in April.

I'm as big of a prospect junkee as anyone, but the combine stat headedness still baffles me. An inch, a few pounds, a tick slower - whatever - makes little difference on the field. If the guy's a freak it's one thing, but those are few and far between. Gordon's not a freak, neither are most of the guys cited. He fits the criteria of a good football player, but...can he play?

I haven't seen much of him, but the reports I'm reading are better than the ones I read about another guy I hadn't seen much of - Brian Quick. Whether a team spends a #2, #3, #4, etc. on him or not depends entirely on how he does in interviews.

What is the best destination for him? What is the worst? In terms of short term and long term fantasy production. I like San Diego as a landing spot or even Wahington. Indy?.

per Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora):

--When i got on the phone with supplemental draft WR Josh Gordon late last night he had just hung up with RG3, his former Baylor QB...

--RG3 is pushing the Redskins brass hard to land Gordon in tomorrow's draft. Many teams interested, about 20 at Gordon's pro day Tues...
Robert Griffin III reportedly wants Josh Gordon

By Marc Sessler

Writer

We're one day away from the NFL Supplemental Draft and the buzz surrounding former Baylor and Utah wideout Josh Gordon -- who didn't play a snap last season -- continues to build.

Our very own Daniel Jeremiah lists five potential fits for Gordon: The Dallas Cowboys, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams and Cleveland Browns make sense for the receiver, according to Jeremiah. He expects the Browns to pull the trigger in the third round.

That falls in line with what Mary Kay Cabot of the The Plain Dealer reported Tuesday, while CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora tweeted Wednesday about Gordon's former quarterback, Robert Griffin III, devising a last-minute campaign to bring the receiver to Washington:

Jason La Canfora

@JasonLaCanfora

RG3 is pushing the Redskins brass hard to land Gordon in tomorrow's draft. Many teams interested, about 20 at Gordon's pro day Tues...

Jeremiah, as a scout for the Philadelphia Eagles, observed Gordon at a Utah practice last season and praised his size and build. "He has an ideal NFL body for the wide receiver position," Jeremiah noted.

More than a few of the teams listed above could use one of those.

If he goes to a great destination, where does he go in rookie dynasty drafts?
#4 WR on my board, but given all the RB's I like before the WR's - mid 2nd round. I got LMJ at 2.4 and Jenkins at 2.6 in May but if Gordon goes to a good spot and was available I'd have taken him instead.

Feeling better and better about my snagging him earlier. I now have Kendall Wright, Josh Gordon, Chris Givens, and AJ Jenkins on the squad and like those players in that order.

What is the best destination for him? What is the worst? In terms of short term and long term fantasy production. I like San Diego as a landing spot or even Wahington. Indy?.
My prediction still stands at Washington.Best: One of my FF QBs - Atl & NYG. Other than that, Saints, Chargers? Indy would be interesting for dynasty. Texans would be interesting too.Worst: Jax of course but they have their crew set, Cleveland since thay are looking at him.

Last edited by a moderator:
think it makes sense for Cleveland... not a huge window for Weeden given his advanced age, so getting another WR weapon a year earlier is worth some risk...

The "some one else's shoes" part is not a joke - he forgot to bring his shoes and had to borrow a pair.
Close, Calvin wasn't going to run at the combine and was going to wait until his Pro-Day but he said "screw it" and borrowed shoes. (Although I think some reports said they were his shoes he had lent to someone else that he borrowed back.)

Users who are viewing this thread