What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (7 Viewers)

so what is next?
At least 30 more pages of non-info.
:goodposting: And don't forget the 100% confidence in wild-### guesses from parties on both sides that their complete speculation is the only correct version. Oh yeah, and at least one more random dude will "know someone" close to the situation and make some random nonsense up then get offended when people ask for clarification.

And then more of the same on Friday...
that's what i come here for

i'd hate for there to be some actual conclusion

How have they decided that Welker can come back this weekend and play, but we have heard nothing regarding Josh Gordon yet? I wouldn't think Welker would be allowed back, unless they have already finalized the new agreement, unless I am missing something here?
The new performance-enhancing drug policy has been finalized -- the new substances of abuse policy has not. Under the new rules, Welker's violation switches categories and doesn't carry a suspension as a first time offense.
Wasn't Welker's changed to substance abuse under the new agreement?

How have they decided that Welker can come back this weekend and play, but we have heard nothing regarding Josh Gordon yet? I wouldn't think Welker would be allowed back, unless they have already finalized the new agreement, unless I am missing something here?
The new performance-enhancing drug policy has been finalized -- the new substances of abuse policy has not. Under the new rules, Welker's violation switches categories and doesn't carry a suspension as a first time offense.
Wasn't Welker's changed to substance abuse under the new agreement?
Yep, because it occurred in the offseason. But it's his first offense, and neither the old nor the new policy call for a suspension for 1st time offenders, so he's back either way.

@RapSheet: Alex Sarchione said Josh Gordon has not yet sold his 1st car. But hes coming in early, staying late, committed to learning

Download the official Twitter app here

Sent from my iPhone

I can't wait to be the laughing stock of my league after holding him for the entire season and when he comes back and plays,...hes completely sucks

I can't wait to be the laughing stock of my league after holding him for the entire season and when he comes back and plays,...hes completely sucks
and every free agent you'd use gordon's spot for would likely suck as well. difference is JG has the ability to be the #1 fantasy WR

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't he be working on his speed and pass catching? Making sure he's ready?
Should he be doing that 24/7? Isnt he suspended and without cash? Does he not have a right to earn a living?

Do you really think he wont be working out or staying in football shape? I have no problem with a man securing structure in a time of exile in any form other than illegal.

10 game suspension is now official. Link.

ETA: Oh, and the NFL and NFLPA have reached an agreement on the drug programs.

Josh Gordon of the Cleveland Browns and free agent LaVon Brazill will be eligible to return after 10 games.

@RapSheet: Alex Sarchione said Josh Gordon has not yet sold his 1st car. But hes coming in early, staying late, committed to learning

Download the official Twitter app here

Sent from my iPhone
Is the dealership mobbed with fans?

Shouldn't he be working on his speed and pass catching? Making sure he's ready?
Should he be doing that 24/7? Isnt he suspended and without cash? Does he not have a right to earn a living?

Do you really think he wont be working out or staying in football shape? I have no problem with a man securing structure in a time of exile in any form other than illegal.
If you have to work all day selling cars, I'm sure you aren't going to be able workout as hard. I would be eating, sleeping, working out and taking my supplements

I can imagine a potential customer sitting in a car with Gordon:

"So what is this compartment for?"

"That's the glove compartment. It's a great place to keep your insurance and registration. You can put your weed in there"

"How about this one in the middle?"

"Oh, yeah, that's the center console. Use that for things you need a lot, like change, a pen, whatever you might need. You can put your weed in there"

"That's the glove compartment. It's a great place to keep your insurance and registration. You can put your weed in there"

"Oh, yeah, that's the center console. Use that for things you need a lot, like change, a pen, whatever you might need. You can put your weed in there"
Your FRIENDS can put their weed in there. Come on. ;)

From rotoworld:

Josh Gordon's suspension has been officially reduced from 12 to 10 games.
The NFL and the NFLPA agreed to a new drug policy on Friday. Gordon will be eligible to return in Week 12.
I assume the reduction from 12 games is a typo and they meant 16. But I think it'd be funny if, to placate the people who think Gordon should be able to appeal his suspension under the new policy, the new policy said that Gordon would receive a 12-game suspension unless he successfully appeals, in which case it'd be reduced to a ten-game suspension; and a successful appeal is hereby granted.

:lmao:

From rotoworld:

The NFL and the NFLPA agreed to a new drug policy on Friday. Gordon will be eligible to return in Week 12.
I assume the reduction from 12 games is a typo and they meant 16. But I think it'd be funny if, to placate the people who think Gordon should be able to appeal his suspension under the new policy, the new policy said that Gordon would receive a 12-game suspension unless he successfully appeals, in which case it'd be reduced to a ten-game suspension; and a successful appeal is hereby granted.
I still don't understand why he can't appeal his suspension. :drive:

Take that to the bank, last 5 games are the most important div/playoff for my season anyway, and even if you don't make the playoffs you can easily trade him to a contender for a future pick next season. Keeper leagues is a win, until the next drug test at least. Redraft will still put you over the hump most likely when you need a boost the most, with 2-3 games to judge his performance before playoffs. If his first game was playoffs week 1 it would be more risky.

Take that to the bank brohans, last 5 games are the most important div/playoff for my season anyway, and even if you don't make the playoffs you can easily trade him to a contender for a future pick next season. Keeper leagues is a win, until the next drug test at least. Redraft will still put you over the hump most likely when you need a boost the most, with 2-3 games to judge his performance before playoffs. If his first game was playoffs week 1 it would be more risky.
fixed.

Take that to the bank, last 5 games are the most important div/playoff for my season anyway, and even if you don't make the playoffs you can easily trade him to a contender for a future pick next season. Keeper leagues is a win, until the next drug test at least. Redraft will still put you over the hump most likely when you need a boost the most, with 2-3 games to judge his performance before playoffs. If his first game was playoffs week 1 it would be more risky.
This was my plan. Our trade deadline is before the wk 11 games. If I am in good shape for the playoffs I hold him. If it is looking like I am out of the playoffs I will trade him to get a pick next year. There is no reason to make a move now.

I still don't understand why he can't appeal his suspension.
On what grounds would he appeal?
Sorry, Maurile, I was kidding. I thought the car emoticon would solidify that. There have been pages and pages of why he can't, shouldn't, and won't. I've been reading the thread, which you can't know. It's pretty clear he can't -- and won't, given his Instagram account -- appeal, though nothing would surprise me at this point. I was kidding.

That said, I also didn't respond to your grammar question. Let's say we have different opinions. I understand the use of "-ize" is a no-no. Heard that many years ago. It's been bandied about for a long time. I still understand why "optics" stinks as a word, but I'm not sure about why that particular word is singularly bad. I think the link I provided from the grammarian at the NYT traced the word and gave a good reason. Just my :2cents:

Also, watching the NFL Network right now. It sounds like Goddell is establishing a committee to remove the arbitrariness of the decisions. How this is implemented or who is in charge...well, that sounds like a different story.

From rotoworld:

It not whether anybody "thinks he should be able to" and more about what does the new agreement allow. Give the lawyers and agents a few days and they'll see if there is any opportunity to do so. (very doubtful, but w/o reading the fine print...)

From rotoworld:

It not whether anybody "thinks he should be able to" and more about what does the new agreement allow. Give the lawyers and agents a few days and they'll see if there is any opportunity to do so. (very doubtful, but w/o reading the fine print...)
Based on the NFLPA announcement it simply states that players currently serving a season long ban for marijuana use will have their suspensions reduced to 10 games. This would appear to be why he cannot appeal. It appears that they are not applying the new policy to the old threshold, rather they are simply reducing the suspensions by agreement. It still leaves a lot of questions unanswered though. Are they now in stage 4 of the new agreement or are future penalties going to be assessed based on the individual's number of marijuana infractions as delineated in the policy? Technically, the only avenue I could see any dispute from Gordon's camp, based solely on what I read on the NFLPA's website, would be because part of his year long ban was based on the codeine suspension and not marijuana. Kind of a weak argument, but if they wanted to grasp at straws...

Amidst the noise, serious question:

When he returns to the field, will Gordon be football ready and produce as expected? Even though he was facing unknown consequences at the time, Gordon looked bleh during preseason action.

I'm actually optimistic about his return. He comes back week 12, most of the NFL is gonna be sore and beat up. Gordon will be fresh and energized. Plus, he comes back against the Falcons so it should be a good way to get back into the swing of things.

I'm actually optimistic about his return. He comes back week 12, most of the NFL is gonna be sore and beat up. Gordon will be fresh and energized. Plus, he comes back against the Falcons so it should be a good way to get back into the swing of things.
This.

I love the car sales situation, good on him. Will do him the world of good that will. Real world experience, bit of perspective.

If you fancy your team as a playoff contender, he's clearly worth stashing. Often your bench is comprised of players who's value lies in upside anyway. They don't get much more upsidey than Josh Gordon.

When he gets back you are going to see go route after go route of Gordon just blowing by corners on his fresh legs. Something to prove and something to gain for Gordon. Been getting some offers in my keeper and its hard to let go knowing everything legally currently is behind him and if he can keep clean his value will only gain more and more with every week.

I really do not think you will see him mess up, he had a come to Jesus meeting with someone. He could of just sat in his house and smoke weed since everyone thinks thats all he does, but instead he chose to go work at a car dealership and even after his suspension was reduced chose to stay at the dealership. This is a kid with a bad past with weed and is making a choice most who do weed dont and that is working when he dont have to.

What will be the most shocking thing out of all this that many do not realize and wont know until it breaks, is I think with the new CBA Gordon is at a lower risk to get suspended then some people who you are not thinking of because they will fail HGH tests. How is that for a twist of irony?

Who is to say Julio Jones is now not more of a risk then Josh Gordon? People in the fantasy world have been shocked before.

Maybe being a car salesman for a month scared him enough for him to realize that he needs to make some lifestyle changes in order to keep making mad cash by simply running fast and catching a ball. I guess I'm a stone cold fool, because I have him in a dynasty and it would take a LOT in trade to pry him out of my hands. WR#1 potential, so I'll gladly hold until proven wrong.
Being a car salesman for a month is going to teach him something that getting kicked out of two colleges and multiple NFL suspensions and corresponding loss of pay didn't? If anything, being allowed back into the league this year would seem to reinforce his "I can do whatever the eff I want" mindset.

I'm not saying that he should be cut or anything. But there are a ton of wildly (overly) optimistic Gordon fans out there (this thread is exhibit A) who are seeing this as "he's finally out of the woods completely" or some such nonsense. Find one in your league and extract that WR1 value while dishing off the HUGE risk. You'll be happy in December. Or March. Or next September. Or whenever the urge to burn hits Gordon again.
He failed for Cough syrup, second hand pot smoke and having a couple of beers and driving (inexcusable, but something I'd bet 80+% of folks posting on theses boards have done before).

I think he'll be fine
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/11/josh-gordon-says-he-definitely-does-not-have-a-drug-problem/

“Do I believe I have a drug problem? Definitely not,” Gordon told OnDecker.com, via Cleveland.com. “In this case, I was exposed to it from second-hand [smoke], and prior to I’ve been drug-free and have been staying that way – and this incident has been causing a backlash of negative attention and negative media of me being an addict or a junkie, or using drugs terribly too much, which is definitely not the case and I’d like to definitely have that out in the open and be clear with that for sure.”

Gordon said he went to rehab this summer after his arrest and learned there that he is not an addict.

“I chose to go on my own accord, my own thoughts,” he said. “I thought it would be beneficial for me to go out to Cliffside in Malibu, California, and seek out some help. . . . They made their diagnosis and said I wasn’t addicted to anything, and I didn’t have any drug problems.”

When he gets back you are going to see go route after go route of Gordon just blowing by corners on his fresh legs. Something to prove and something to gain for Gordon. Been getting some offers in my keeper and its hard to let go knowing everything legally currently is behind him and if he can keep clean his value will only gain more and more with every week.

I really do not think you will see him mess up, he had a come to Jesus meeting with someone. He could of just sat in his house and smoke weed since everyone thinks thats all he does, but instead he chose to go work at a car dealership and even after his suspension was reduced chose to stay at the dealership. This is a kid with a bad past with weed and is making a choice most who do weed dont and that is working when he dont have to.

What will be the most shocking thing out of all this that many do not realize and wont know until it breaks, is I think with the new CBA Gordon is at a lower risk to get suspended then some people who you are not thinking of because they will fail HGH tests. How is that for a twist of irony?

Who is to say Julio Jones is now not more of a risk then Josh Gordon? People in the fantasy world have been shocked before.
There's something about almost seeing it all slip away to make a man wake up and get straight.

Maybe being a car salesman for a month scared him enough for him to realize that he needs to make some lifestyle changes in order to keep making mad cash by simply running fast and catching a ball. I guess I'm a stone cold fool, because I have him in a dynasty and it would take a LOT in trade to pry him out of my hands. WR#1 potential, so I'll gladly hold until proven wrong.
Being a car salesman for a month is going to teach him something that getting kicked out of two colleges and multiple NFL suspensions and corresponding loss of pay didn't? If anything, being allowed back into the league this year would seem to reinforce his "I can do whatever the eff I want" mindset.

I'm not saying that he should be cut or anything. But there are a ton of wildly (overly) optimistic Gordon fans out there (this thread is exhibit A) who are seeing this as "he's finally out of the woods completely" or some such nonsense. Find one in your league and extract that WR1 value while dishing off the HUGE risk. You'll be happy in December. Or March. Or next September. Or whenever the urge to burn hits Gordon again.
He failed for Cough syrup, second hand pot smoke and having a couple of beers and driving (inexcusable, but something I'd bet 80+% of folks posting on theses boards have done before).

I think he'll be fine
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/11/josh-gordon-says-he-definitely-does-not-have-a-drug-problem/

“Do I believe I have a drug problem? Definitely not,” Gordon told OnDecker.com, via Cleveland.com. “In this case, I was exposed to it from second-hand [smoke], and prior to I’ve been drug-free and have been staying that way – and this incident has been causing a backlash of negative attention and negative media of me being an addict or a junkie, or using drugs terribly too much, which is definitely not the case and I’d like to definitely have that out in the open and be clear with that for sure.”

Gordon said he went to rehab this summer after his arrest and learned there that he is not an addict.

“I chose to go on my own accord, my own thoughts,” he said. “I thought it would be beneficial for me to go out to Cliffside in Malibu, California, and seek out some help. . . . They made their diagnosis and said I wasn’t addicted to anything, and I didn’t have any drug problems.”
Except he's still addicted to bad choices. I imagine they would have told him to avoid being in situations that can get him in trouble, such as where he can pick up second hand smoke.

http://www.thefix.com/content/cliffside-malibu0005

At night, residents bed down in luxurious shared or private rooms—“like staying at a five-star hotel”—which they are expected to keep tidy. But that’s really the only chore at Cliffside Malibu, in order to keep the focus squarely on a robust schedule of group and one-on-one therapy sessions, 12-step meetings and activities. You can take walks on the beach; go hiking, surfing or horseback-riding; work out with a personal trainer; take yoga classes; or even swim laps in the rehab’s narrow pool.

If that all sounds pretty cushy, you’re right: “I wouldn’t say Cliffside was laid-back—but I didn’t feel like I was being punished,” said one resident, describing an ethos which extends to treatment, as well.

Outside of program hours—and during detox or their first week of treatment—residents are free to surf the web, watch TV or use the phone to their heart’s content.
Bolded that part because Gordon spent one week there. So basically he hung out and got to do what he wanted.

You get 6 games this year and then hope he can stay clean for an entire year or he gets another indefinite suspension - this time he won't get bailed out by the NFLPA.

Every time he's messed up in his life he's claimed he's changed only to make the same stupid mistakes again.

You get 6 games this year and then hope he can stay clean for an entire year or he gets another indefinite suspension - this time he won't get bailed out by the NFLPA.

Every time he's messed up in his life he's claimed he's changed only to make the same stupid mistakes again.
You are obviously a person who doesnt like him, so it doesnt matter what he does your mind is made up and you think he will never amount to anything. You dislike him so much why do you visit this thread?

You are obviously a person who doesnt like him, so it doesnt matter what he does your mind is made up and you think he will never amount to anything. You dislike him so much why do you visit this thread?
Wait, because I'm realistic it means I hate him? He one of the best receivers in the game if he can stop being a dummy.

Users who are viewing this thread