What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (9 Viewers)

But what are we going to see from him? He's played 5 games the last 2 seasons. How many guys have missed 27 of a possible 32 games and come back and been fine? Granted, it's not like it was due to injury, but we have no idea what he's going to do or how he fits into the offense now.
He's still just 25 yrs old.  I'll bet on the freakish talent.  This guy was a monster with Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden throwing him the ball.  Assuming he hasn't been eating Doritos on the couch for 2 years, he's going to come back with a vengeance if I had to guess.  

@Soulfly3 congrats!

Heck, only thing that can derail this is a mistake by Gordon. 
Well given his past history I think we can all agree that Josh is a responsible individual that won't trip up an opportunity to make good int he league again after a minor misstep or two.

He may want to police up his circle of friends a little but he's always impressed me as someone who has exercised good judgement in the past, just got dealt bad cards :rolleyes:

Dude is blessed beyond measure. Sarcasm aside, I hope he gets his act together but sadly I don't think he steps on the field this year. Maybe the new regime will do what the old didn't and keep him on the straight and narrow. I desperately hope so because he has top 5 talent but dude can't get his head away from the mary jane.

Albert Breer ✔@AlbertBreer

If Josh Gordon gets back on the field in Week 5, he'll have missed 43 of 68 games since entering the league, all due to suspension.

1:24 PM - 25 Jul 2016

Soulfy will be on in 10 minutes...he is busy finishing himself off
Sorry, I underestimated Soulfly....He is on round 3, should be finished soon, but at this point I can't say with any certainty, that he will show up.  I am hearing rumors, It may take a couple more rounds to calm him down.

He's still just 25 yrs old.  I'll bet on the freakish talent.  This guy was a monster with Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden throwing him the ball.  Assuming he hasn't been eating Doritos on the couch for 2 years, he's going to come back with a vengeance if I had to guess.  
He didn't have anyone like Corey Coleman to steal targets from him then though.  And Duke Johnson is no well past his prime Willis McGahee.

He didn't have anyone like Corey Coleman to steal targets from him then though.  And Duke Johnson is no well past his prime Willis McGahee.
I'd say that helps him as much as hurts him. A stronger offense is typically better for talented players. Even more so since he'll be working off the inevitable rust and won't have to worry about the O running through him.

True, but the Browns also had Cameron then; so, I didn't bring up as that seems like a wash.
Ah forgot about that. But yeah, there definitely seems to be a bit more mouths to feed now than when Gordon went nuts way back in 2013.

He's such a tough one to figure out. Though, the last time we saw him in 2014, he really didn't look all that great. Now with a new regime, new QB, new skill pieces around him, what is he worth?

The only people who have faith in him are those who currently own him. That is until they can trade him and get out from under this guy who will get suspended again.
Talent is not disputable, but he isnt worth the risk of parting with assets for in a dynasty league.

Different HC, different OC, improved weapons to take targets, different QB(s), ~22 months since stepping onto an NFL field for a regular season game, and finally... didn't look all that great last time he was on the field.  

I had Gordon for that 2013 season, and the 2014 season, and I scooped him up on the cheap in my keeper league last year around week 10 just in hopes that he might be ready to go for this season.  I get what he has done, and what he can be.  That said, I think there needs to be some tapping of the brakes here.  That list of WR's that was posted earlier had a few names I would take easily over Gordon, like Parker and Moncreif.  I love Gordon as a lottery ticket, but the risk on this guy extends beyond just his off field issues.  

I'd say that helps him as much as hurts him. A stronger offense is typically better for talented players. Even more so since he'll be working off the inevitable rust and won't have to worry about the O running through him.
It helps him some, but I wouldn't say as much as it hurts.  He was pretty volume dependent in 2013.  I don't see him getting near the nearly 12 targets/game he got in 2013.  Hue didn't even give AJ Green close to that number of targets.

We don't know how Hue Jackson and the coaching staff is going to handle this so we'll have to see what they do with Corey Coleman who they had been grooming as the X but now that might change.

If they move Coleman to Z and play him off the line of scrimmage in preseason then it means, to me, that Josh is going to man the X.  He is a natural X-WR who plays on the LOS and can beat press-man coverage.  Coleman is just a natural Z IMHO.  He has such stop-and-go explosion and speed that he is a natural fit as a Z-WR.

Barnidge is the Y and when they mix in Hawkins, he is a natural slot-WR.

I am naturally suspicious of JG due to his completely unreliable history but if can come back the Browns WR corps could shape up to be pretty-good by the end of the year once Coleman has gotten over the bulk of his learning curve.

Hard to believe that it has really been 2 years since he played (based on when he will next play a meaningful game). 

That is a LONG time. Pretty interesting situation because he is still young, had that one awesome flash in '13, but then he also has been suspended multiple times and had that very pedestrian part of '14.  The entire team is different now meaning more mouths to feed and different philosophy and you also have to wonder if the browns themselves really had any idea about this maybe happening now (how much were they strategizing a philosophy that includes Gordon?). And I completely left out he now has his old QB there too.  Wow, what a story.

All that doesn't matter though because the Soulfly-ites will have their day now and they have almost two months to do it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shutout said:
Hard to believe that it has really been 2 years since he played (based on when he will next play a meaningful game). 

That is a LONG time. Pretty interesting situation because he is still young, had that one awesome flash in '13, but then he also has been suspended multiple times and had that very pedestrian part of '14.  The entire team is different now meaning more mouths to feed and different philosophy and you also have to wonder if the browns themselves really had any idea about this maybe happening now (how much were they strategizing a philosophy that includes Gordon?). And I completely left out he now has his old QB there too.  Wow, what a story.

All that doesn't matter though because the Soulfly-ites will have their day now and they have almost two months to do it. 
14 games is a "flash"

at least we'll get a look at him in preseason game 3 this year.  Very curious to see his ADP/auction value ends up at.  

14 games is a "flash"
Some great sports reporter (forget who it was) has a well-known line that goes something like "anybody can be great...ONCE.  Buster Douglas can knock out the greatest boxer...Once.  A bunch of kids can beat national Powerhouse hockey team...Once.  Colin Kaepernick can look like the next coming of Cam Newton...once.  Sometimes things just fall your way. To prove you are more than a flash in the pan, you must demonstrate repetition and consistency."

Remember when Knile Davis looked like he was a very solid FF player..for about a half a season?  Now, two years later, he's 4th string.  Only difference being in his case is he has actually been in the league the last 2 years. Just saying people might want to pump the brakes a bit.

Some great sports reporter (forget who it was) has a well-known line that goes something like "anybody can be great...ONCE.  Buster Douglas can knock out the greatest boxer...Once.  A bunch of kids can beat national Powerhouse hockey team...Once.  Colin Kaepernick can look like the next coming of Cam Newton...once.  Sometimes things just fall your way. To prove you are more than a flash in the pan, you must demonstrate repetition and consistency."

Remember when Knile Davis looked like he was a very solid FF player..for about a half a season?  Now, two years later, he's 4th string.  Only difference being in his case is he has actually been in the league the last 2 years. Just saying people might want to pump the brakes a bit.
Knile is a bad example because his efficiency was pretty low. His DVOA in 2014 was -17.7% which was the same as Trent Richardson for that year. He was a mediocre RB who got a lot of carries for a few games. His physical talent is obvious, but that made him kind of a fools' gold because his NFL talent is more specialized. That is not an issue for Gordon as both his physical and NFL talent are obvious and verified. Certainly there is a chance Gordon's production will be much less this year. I would probably bet on it. But also wrong to say he did not show talent that is difference making for both FF and NFL. The question is how can he come back to essentially a whole new team and staff and fit in with a team that doesn't necessarily want him.

Missed opportunity for a Miracle on Ice reference.

Gordon will be suspended again before the season is over. Mark my words! I will eat them if I am wrong but the guy has not given up smoking. Source: a person who saw him still smoking. Stay tuned Gordonites! The good times will not last. Sadly... I really want to see him succeed.

12 game prediction:

68 rec/ 1,088 yds/ 7 tds

Giving him 16 ypc which is reasonable for him.  

18+ ppg in PPR.   Easily a top-12 WR from week 5 fwd.  

Knile is a bad example because his efficiency was pretty low. His DVOA in 2014 was -17.7% which was the same as Trent Richardson for that year. He was a mediocre RB who got a lot of carries for a few games. His physical talent is obvious, but that made him kind of a fools' gold because his NFL talent is more specialized. That is not an issue for Gordon as both his physical and NFL talent are obvious and verified. Certainly there is a chance Gordon's production will be much less this year. I would probably bet on it. But also wrong to say he did not show talent that is difference making for both FF and NFL. The question is how can he come back to essentially a whole new team and staff and fit in with a team that doesn't necessarily want him.

It was mentioned. 

Knile Davis was just a guy that came to mind but the underlying point is still the point.  Small window of excellence with no repetition. Classic Lightning in a bottle. I'm not saying he's not great. He may be. But there are a lot of guys out there that have done something ONCE.  Heck, I've lucked into a threemsome...ONCE (yes, me and two women...just because I know someone will say the 3rd was a guy...lol)..Doesn't mean I can repeat it tomorrow after a two year break from it  :)

Braylon Edwards seems like a better example.

ETA:  NFL teams seem to be catching onto this as well, with a guy like Kirk Cousins not getting a big deal until he can prove it a second time.

Interested in thoughts on his value for in Dynasty start ups
I think 6th or 7th round (top 75 overall) is fair. In expert drafts and mocks I think he will go higher than that. 

In Feb (this year) his ADP shot up to 26 overall just based on him tweeting that he was preparing to play.  :popcorn:

I think you will see some people taking him in the 3rd just to be smarter than the room. Because they're Janice in accounting.

Man I was really beginning to doubt myself for holding this frigging long...so this means I'm just going to get my heart broken again when this guy gets suspended again.

Bracie Smathers said:
We don't know how Hue Jackson and the coaching staff is going to handle this so we'll have to see what they do with Corey Coleman who they had been grooming as the X but now that might change.

If they move Coleman to Z and play him off the line of scrimmage in preseason then it means, to me, that Josh is going to man the X.  He is a natural X-WR who plays on the LOS and can beat press-man coverage.  Coleman is just a natural Z IMHO.  He has such stop-and-go explosion and speed that he is a natural fit as a Z-WR.

Barnidge is the Y and when they mix in Hawkins, he is a natural slot-WR.

I am naturally suspicious of JG due to his completely unreliable history but if can come back the Browns WR corps could shape up to be pretty-good by the end of the year once Coleman has gotten over the bulk of his learning curve.

Higgins and Payton also could factor in

Higgins and Payton also could factor in

Yes, and add in stories indicate that Hue Jackson has put in some Terrell Pryor packages as well but assuming JG is accepted back by the coaching staff and that Coleman's game transfers I see Gordon as the X and Coleman as the Z.  I like HIggins and he could shift to the slot where 31-year-old Andrew Hawkins, who suffered multiple concussions last year is currently slotted. 

The other two rookie WRs that the Browns drafted have yet to distinguish themselves.  I don't see them all making the active roster once JG is back.

JG is obviously on thin ice and I'm assuming the team would want a more reliable player as the #1 WR so they must be hoping someone emerges but if JG is healthy and has his head screwed on, he is the undisputed favorite to man the X-WR role.

The Browns were currently listed with the 3rd shortest and slightest roster in the NFL but if Josh Gordon comes back it would mean a smaller/shorter WR like Taylor Gabriel would be gone and he was/is on the bubble to make the team,  

Coleman isn't the biggest guy to take over the X.  We don't know if he can beat press-man coverage and HIggins is thin for his height so that is why I think he would be a better fit in the slot IMHO.  

Coleman is getting first team reps and tons of one-on-one coaching from the WR coach and Hue Jackson.

Waiting for a few of my "friends" from the past 2yrs to show up. Especially after all the "whu would Goodell care about Gordon" comments. 

Commish literally went offscript for the league's best WR. So, so beautiful. 

Internet high five to the rest of his MFL10 owners.

Took him in about 7 of my 12 or so MFL10s.  14th round at the highest.

Those  days are over.

You care. I know you care. Don't front.

Yes, and add in stories indicate that Hue Jackson has put in some Terrell Pryor packages as well but assuming JG is accepted back by the coaching staff and that Coleman's game transfers I see Gordon as the X and Coleman as the Z.  I like HIggins and he could shift to the slot where 31-year-old Andrew Hawkins, who suffered multiple concussions last year is currently slotted. 

The other two rookie WRs that the Browns drafted have yet to distinguish themselves.  I don't see them all making the active roster once JG is back.

JG is obviously on thin ice and I'm assuming the team would want a more reliable player as the #1 WR so they must be hoping someone emerges but if JG is healthy and has his head screwed on, he is the undisputed favorite to man the X-WR role.

The Browns were currently listed with the 3rd shortest and slightest roster in the NFL but if Josh Gordon comes back it would mean a smaller/shorter WR like Taylor Gabriel would be gone and he was/is on the bubble to make the team,  

Coleman isn't the biggest guy to take over the X.  We don't know if he can beat press-man coverage and HIggins is thin for his height so that is why I think he would be a better fit in the slot IMHO.  

Coleman is getting first team reps and tons of one-on-one coaching from the WR coach and Hue Jackson.
This is kind of how I see it as well.

Based on last seasons targets to AJ Green being 8.25/game that should be 99 targets for Gordin over 12 games. at a career catch rte of 53% that would be 53 receptions or 4.4 receptions per game. I think this is a best case scenario. His per game numbers may be more similar to 2014 than 2013.

Coleman's targets from the Z would likely mirror Marvin Jones at 90 targets, but he may be targeted more in the four games Gordon is out, so maybe slightly higher than that.

Gordon was arguably the best WR in the NFL his last full year...wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds expectations relative to ADP.

Can anyone think of a team that would be interested in Gordon at this point were the browns to shop him? 

SF (wrs stink)

DAL (jones always gets a boner for bargain talent with issues)

CAR(wrs thin, better than ginn)

ATL (no confidence in sanu)

IND (Irsay is a wildcard)

NE (perrenial "wouldn't it be sweet if so and so went there?)

BUF (pair w/ Sammy)

those seem to be reasonable teams where he would be an upgrade or have wildcard owners whose eyes light up.

Users who are viewing this thread