What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (13 Viewers)

Embarrassingly Wrong

eta: I know he likely won't play a snap... but the point, is the point.
No, you were embarassingly wrong prattling on about the monster shape he was in.  He arrived for camp out of shape, in with an injury.  He wasn't ready.  Everyone else arrived in shape for camp, I guess they were running sprints instead of posting Instagram videos. 

You deflect from your silly offseason cheerleading by screaming about how he's NOT FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

:no:

"being in shape isn't the same in being in football shape"

the guy is in shape, dont know how else you want me to put this to you. he will be reinstated in February. He will have 6 months to get into your beloved "football shape" if that makes you any happier.
:thumbup:

If Pryor keeps this up, there could be trouble for Gordon's expected targets.
Don't get the cart too far in front of the horse on the TP bandwagon.

Last year he only caught one pass.

This preseason he basically has only caught balls on GO routes.

His footwork needs improvement because he's so tall that he doesn't make quick-choppy steps and we saw him get blown up on a screen last night when he caught the ball behind the LOS.  Basically, I'd like to see him do something with the ball in space behind the LOS or on a comeback but the only time we've seen him is on GO routes.

I'd like to see him work the middle of the field and catch something in traffic.

I'd like to see a whole hell of a lot more from Terrell Pryor before I'd say he's a threat to the NFL leading receiver from a few years ago who missed the first two games of that year due to a suspension so he lead the league in only 14 games instead of the rest of the WRs he beat that year who played full 16 game schedules.

JG is the real deal when he's healthy and has his head screwed on right.  TP is only in his second year learning the WR position.

Don't get the cart too far in front of the horse on the TP bandwagon.

Last year he only caught one pass.

This preseason he basically has only caught balls on GO routes.

His footwork needs improvement because he's so tall that he doesn't make quick-choppy steps and we saw him get blown up on a screen last night when he caught the ball behind the LOS.  Basically, I'd like to see him do something with the ball in space behind the LOS or on a comeback but the only time we've seen him is on GO routes.

I'd like to see him work the middle of the field and catch something in traffic.

I'd like to see a whole hell of a lot more from Terrell Pryor before I'd say he's a threat to the NFL leading receiver from a few years ago who missed the first two games of that year due to a suspension so he lead the league in only 14 games instead of the rest of the WRs he beat that year who played full 16 game schedules.

JG is the real deal when he's healthy and has his head screwed on right.  TP is only in his second year learning the WR position.
Well said, Bracie Smathers.  I am really enjoying watching Pryor's development as a receiver, but at this point, he is still very raw.  His athleticism is impressive, but he is essentially Cordarrelle Patterson at this point.  He could make some big plays, but until he develops and expands his game, I don't believe he poses any threat to Gordon's playing time or targets.  The biggest threat to Gordon is Gordon.

Last edited by a moderator:
massraider said:
Weak sauce.
accurate, tho?

Cuz I dunno... you called me embarrassingly wrong. yet here we are... he's active. he's playing this season... but you consider the fact he got injured, to mean Im "embarrassingly wrong"

i just dont get it. doesnt fly. did he go from fat to fit in 1 week? does that happen? I dunno. you sound like a nutritionist... so ill take your word for it

You do realize a lot of players get injured and are out of football for years at a time, right? I do agree that people may be underestimating this, but lets not act like running and catching a football(after doing so most of their lives) isn't fairly easy to pick back up. Muscle memory is a beautiful thing. 
This is spot on.  Nobody balks at an older Jordy Nelson missing a year AND coming back from injury.  Even some extra weight at the start of camp shouldn't last long for a 25 year old guy.

Missing some time and conditioning don't bother me.  The chance he screws up again?  That's a different story.  I'm cautiously optimistic but as somebody just stated, there are few with his upside.

He's lucky in that Coleman hasn't been playing either, hasn't been cementing his role as #1 or developing in-game chemistry with the starting QB. So Gordon will come in a little less disadvantaged...but in the big picture two preseason games won't mean much if Coleman takes advantage of the 2 left plus 4 regular season games to establish himself.

This is spot on.  Nobody balks at an older Jordy Nelson missing a year AND coming back from injury.  Even some extra weight at the start of camp shouldn't last long for a 25 year old guy.

Missing some time and conditioning don't bother me.  The chance he screws up again?  That's a different story.  I'm cautiously optimistic but as somebody just stated, there are few with his upside.
After the time off he should be in the 'best shape of his life', not struggling to lose weight.  Points more to where his head is at then whether he'll be able to get into better shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three $ auctions I know of - $9, $8 and $8 on a $200 budget.
$2 in my $400 budget league last weekend.

Nobody bid me up...I look at it like a lottery ticket, cost me nothing really to see what I win. I've got Dez, Hilton, Moncrief & fitz, who knows if I will need him.

not struggling to lose weight.  
Again... I'm begging someone to explain this angle to me.

Within ONE WEEK, he went from "fat" to lean, fast, strong and looking like he's in midseason form???

You guys really buy this fat story? Have you looked at him?

Again... I'm begging someone to explain this angle to me.

Within ONE WEEK, he went from "fat" to lean, fast, strong and looking like he's in midseason form???

You guys really buy this fat story? Have you looked at him?
Can't believe you're arguing this when the coach said a week or so ago that Josh himself knew he needs to lose weight.

And it was "Fast, long, tall, big, can catch, all those good things. He’s done a good job."

Can't believe you're arguing this when the coach said a week or so ago that Josh himself knew he needs to lose weight.

And it was "Fast, long, tall, big, can catch, all those good things. He’s done a good job."

Hue Jackson said the same thing about Coleman in rookie mini-camp directly after the draft. 

Coleman had suffered a sports hernia and had minor surgery and wasn't able to run or lift and he hit the banquet trail.

Coleman had lost some endurance and needed a rest in between reps in Hue Jackson's fast-paced offense and Hue got on his case and publically stated that Coleman was out of shape.  That made headlines and people took it and ran with it.

Josh Gordon is many things but out of shape is ridiculous.

Guys that hold out typically do suffer more soft tissue injuries so that is a legitimate concern no matter what Soul Dawg is trying to sell but he is right that JG is in excellent physical shape.  If anything, he probably has lost some endurance just as Coleman had due to the long layoff from his quad injury.

After the time off he should be in the 'best shape of his life', not struggling to lose weight.  Points more to where his head is at then whether he'll be able to get into better shape.
This

Conditioning is one thing Gordon has been in control of all along. If he really showed up out of shape (relative to NFL football players (obviously, he's in great shape compared to most people)), that is a glimpse into his mindset and speaks to his level of self discipline. And his mindset/self discipline has always been the biggest hurdles for him. Talent has always been there but he's shown a tremendous ability to get in his own way at every level, too. Has he really matured and/or learned his lesson? Remains to be seen, IMO.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/hue_jackson_on_josh_gordon_get.html#incart_river_index

Josh Gordon getting 1st team reps and Joe Haden says 'he looks the exact same'

...  Jackson is giving him valuable starting reps.

"What's important is that I don't really know him yet as a football player,'' said Jackson. "I'm learning and I need to see what he's able to do. He's talented, obviously. The more I can see him and feel him before because he'll be away and not able to do that, the more I can understand when he gets back and he can hit the ground running the right way.''

Jackson indicated that Gordon will play a big role when he gets back...

... "He still looks the exact same and it's just crazy,'' cornerback Joe Haden said. "He looks a little bigger. I don't know how that happened, but he's still out there running around, looking the same, running his routes, floating. It still looks effortless.''

Ever since the news that he was reinstated, he's being drafted in 6th round of multiple FFPC drafts as recent as last night.

Looks like Soulfly may have his revenge after all. NOW, he has to stay CLEAN. Until it is legalized. I sold him for a 2017 1st but I don't regret it. Even if he blows the top off the thing, I just dont want to deal with the headache. But by no means am I hating on him. Hopefully he has things figured out. And he takes the coverage away from my man Corey Coleman!

Looks like Soulfly may have his revenge after all. NOW, he has to stay CLEAN. Until it is legalized. I sold him for a 2017 1st but I don't regret it. Even if he blows the top off the thing, I just dont want to deal with the headache. But by no means am I hating on him. Hopefully he has things figured out. And he takes the coverage away from my man Corey Coleman!
I think he's going to take a lot of things away from Coleman...

Users who are viewing this thread