What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (4 Viewers)

I have it on good authority The Patriots are behind this and when the smoke and alcohol clear he'll be suiting up for them

in week 7 against Pittsburgh,the team they stole Blount from. :whistle:

The fact that he checked himself into rehab more than likely means he's fallen off the wagon and has something in his system that would get him popped.  At this point, I don't see any purpose in keeping him since the risk is so much greater than the reward.
Until the NFL announces something why would one make a move now?  We've held this long, it's not like there's anything on the wire to take the roster spot with the potential payout.  Make the NFL act.  We don't know nearly enough to make a drop.  Maybe he did do something, but unless the NFL can prove that with a test (can they?) he may just get clear.  We don't know if he's already failed, if he thinks he'll fail and is hiding out from the testing schedule, or something else altogether.  It's nuts to cut bait until we actually know.

Until the NFL announces something why would one make a move now?  We've held this long, it's not like there's anything on the wire to take the roster spot with the potential payout.  Make the NFL act.  We don't know nearly enough to make a drop.  Maybe he did do something, but unless the NFL can prove that with a test (can they?) he may just get clear.  We don't know if he's already failed, if he thinks he'll fail and is hiding out from the testing schedule, or something else altogether.  It's nuts to cut bait until we actually know.
I disagree.  The NFL is going to test him (if they haven't already) as soon as he gets out  I would think as a Gordon on you would have had enough by now.  Is it really worth it to wait?  I guess if you have a roster spot available and there is absolutely no one available then maybe, but IMO it's a wasted spot.

Agree that the wire is relatively bare and that is the bottom line on the decision to waive him.  But we do know plenty about Josh Gordon.  He became the biggest screw-up in the league the moment Manziel was gone.  Not sure waiting on the league to act is much of an answer since they can move pretty slowly at times.All the things you mentioned are bad; a failure, an imminent failure. or dodging a test are all negative outcomes.  The writing is on the wall - there is no positive conclusion.

In situations other than ridiculously deep rosters, he should be the first guy released to acquire someone from the wire.

??? I've already stated once that I'm starting him this week
Theres nothing like striking some fear into the enemy..  Obviously Josh in the lineup should have some effect, if he doesnt have some notation by his name..

But aside from the chance of your opponent making some poor lineup choice to compensate..  (all homerun plays w/ no floor)

Can ya post the other options?  It might be best to hold off on starting for a bit.

it's not like there's anything on the wire to take the roster spot with the potential payout. 
I dropped Gordon for Corey Coleman in one of my leagues and for Moncrief in another.

IMO there are available players that have a greater potential payout than Gordon.

We know. 

Inpatient rehab is 30 days, minimum. Generally 45-90

hes dead, Jim. 

Terry Pluto sums it up on JG.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2016/10/cleveland_browns_have_terry_ta_82.html

...  this current front office/coaching staff has become even more frustrated and weary of playing the Waiting For Gordon game than the past few regimes. At Friday's press conference, Hue Jackson made it clear that he was "done talking" about Gordon.

As the coach said, "He's not going to be with us. We wish him well, but we're moving forward."

The new front office and coaching staff quietly cut Johnny Manziel last spring. It quietly traded Justin Gilbert to Pittsburgh, where he has yet to play a defensive snap.

My guess is Gordon will be gone at some point.

... A few thoughts:

1. Is he really a "Pro Bowl talent"? By that, I mean it goes beyond physical ability. A big part of being a pro is reliability and durability. Gordon has neither of those traits.

2. Gordon has not appeared in a regular season game since 2014. If you look back at his five games that season, he performed poorly. He didn't learn the playbook. He didn't show up for the flight for the last game -- and was suspended by the team.

3. His last and only good season was 2013, and he was suspended for two games that year.

4. How desperate is he to really get back on the field? How serious is he about dealing with his addiction problem? These are huge questions, none of which he's answered the right way in the last three years.

5. Yes, the Browns have given the fans migraines. But how has Gordon treated the Browns ... and yes, the fans who stick by him? He has teased and frustrated so many coaches, teammates and fans over the last few years.

Terry Pluto sums it up on JG.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2016/10/cleveland_browns_have_terry_ta_82.html

...  this current front office/coaching staff has become even more frustrated and weary of playing the Waiting For Gordon game than the past few regimes. At Friday's press conference, Hue Jackson made it clear that he was "done talking" about Gordon.

As the coach said, "He's not going to be with us. We wish him well, but we're moving forward."

The new front office and coaching staff quietly cut Johnny Manziel last spring. It quietly traded Justin Gilbert to Pittsburgh, where he has yet to play a defensive snap.

My guess is Gordon will be gone at some point.

... A few thoughts:

1. Is he really a "Pro Bowl talent"? By that, I mean it goes beyond physical ability. A big part of being a pro is reliability and durability. Gordon has neither of those traits.

2. Gordon has not appeared in a regular season game since 2014. If you look back at his five games that season, he performed poorly. He didn't learn the playbook. He didn't show up for the flight for the last game -- and was suspended by the team.

3. His last and only good season was 2013, and he was suspended for two games that year.

4. How desperate is he to really get back on the field? How serious is he about dealing with his addiction problem? These are huge questions, none of which he's answered the right way in the last three years.

5. Yes, the Browns have given the fans migraines. But how has Gordon treated the Browns ... and yes, the fans who stick by him? He has teased and frustrated so many coaches, teammates and fans over the last few years.

Hue is the difference here and he may have done this if he was coach last year or the year before. Browns fans should be encouraged.

We know. 

Inpatient rehab is 30 days, minimum. Generally 45-90

hes dead, Jim. 
I never been to rehab but I always thought you could leave when you wanted if it was voluntary and you weren't a risk. I own him and I know I'm keeping him until atleast week 8 when the bye weeks start hurting me

I chucked him last night from the one team I owned him. Roster spots are way too valuable, especially as the byes get going, to waste one on a pothead who hasn't been a good producer in three years. 

Hue is the difference here and he may have done this if he was coach last year or the year before. Browns fans should be encouraged.
Gordon has proven to be both selfish and stupid. Deciding to hang with Manziel showed the world how serious he was taking all of this. And there is zero chance that this "voluntary" rehab check-in is voluntary. He's not intelligent enough for that. 

Have we reached the point where Jeff Gordon has more fantasy value than Josh Gordon?
Here's my current fantasy football rankings for Gordons:

1.  Jeff Gordon

2.  Dee Gordon

3.  Alex Gordon

4.  Gordon Ramsey

5. Eric Gordon

6.  Gordon Lightfoot

7.  Gordon the Big Engine (Thomas and Friends)

8.  Kim Gordon

9.  Gordon Gekko

10.  Josh Gordon, WR, Cleveland Browns

@rapsheet Sources: #Browns WR Josh Gordon entered rehab after what was described to me as a “slip-up,” a potential violation of drug & alcohol policy.
Wow.  I never expected this.

However,  if I were a Josh Gordon owner I would still hold on to him for another 12 years.  You never can be sure what "slip-up" really means.  We just don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my current fantasy football rankings for Gordons:

1.  Jeff Gordon

2.  Dee Gordon

3.  Alex Gordon

4.  Gordon Ramsey

5. Eric Gordon

6.  Gordon Lightfoot

7.  Gordon the Big Engine (Thomas and Friends)

8.  Kim Gordon

9.  Gordon Gekko

10.  Josh Gordon, WR, Cleveland Browns
I'd even put Ruth Gordon above him. 

Will skilled lawyers be able to craft an argument that if Gordon did slip up, that it stemmed from a legitimate addiction for which he is seeking bona-fide professional healthcare treatment  and that any further suspension as permitted by the CBA is nonetheless a violation of his rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act? 

Will skilled lawyers be able to craft an argument that if Gordon did slip up, that it stemmed from a legitimate addiction for which he is seeking bona-fide professional healthcare treatment  and that any further suspension as permitted by the CBA is nonetheless a violation of his rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act? 
Slippery slope. All these pot heads will check in to rehab when they feel they may have pee'd hot.  

The Wookie defense is the way to go here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGYroufxtfQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Slippery slope. All these pot heads will check in to rehab when they feel they may have pee'd hot.  
Somebody's gotta be the first to attempt to game the system, find the loopholes, and exploit any advantage they can to preserve their opportunities to try to have their cake and eat it too.

Somebody's gotta be the first to attempt to game the system, find the loopholes, and exploit any advantage they can to preserve their opportunities to try to have their cake and eat it too.
Still, do we really know FOR SURE when a person admits an addiction that they REALLY have an addiction?  I would hold onto Gordon for another year or two just in case it doesn't mean what you think it means.

And also gives clarity on the timeline - generally 7-10 days to detox before rehab even starts.

he'll be out in 45-90 days IMO. 

And to those saying he's a hold (the serious ones, not the hilarious ones) might want to consider that by checking himself in for alcohol he is admitting that he violated the terms of his NFL "double secret probation". 

I would hold in leagues with benches over 40 players deep. Dynasty he's probably a hold, as you never know....maybe he plays for someone next season.

5:1 says there's more for this story....

Users who are viewing this thread