What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

Slider said:
If I held that long (did in one dynasty) no way I'm dropping until one more failure to rejoin the NFL.
It wasn't like I held him in one dynasty the whole time. I had him stashed on an IR most of the time in one league and threw him in to get another deal done a couple weeks ago. In another league he was on the active roster, and I figured I'd hold until the 21st to see if the rumors were true. 

Considering that the NFL rejected him in May, yet gave him a September date to apply again... it makes me think that he will be reinstated. Why would they bother allowing him to apply again so soon if they didn't plan on reinstating him at that point? I'm betting that they just wanted to make sure that he could stay clean from May until September, and he probably did a really smart thing by going into rehab to make sure that he stayed on top of this. 

I just don't see any reasonable explanation as to why they would let him reapply 4 months later, him stay on the right track between those points... only to be denied again. Of course, expected the NFL executives to make sense is probably where I'm going wrong here.

Also, I think that you guys are getting the wrong idea about rehab, and why he may have gone. If Gordon wasn't clean in May, they wouldn't have allowed him to apply again in Sept. Going to rehab, even while clean would show the NFL that he is actively attacking this issue. It shows that he realizes that it's a problem even when he is sober. Taking the opportunity to spend that much time in rehab shows that he is trying to learn the life skills that he needs in order to stay clean. 

Also, I think that you guys are getting the wrong idea about rehab, and why he may have gone. If Gordon wasn't clean in May, they wouldn't have allowed him to apply again in Sept. Going to rehab, even while clean would show the NFL that he is actively attacking this issue. It shows that he realizes that it's a problem even when he is sober. Taking the opportunity to spend that much time in rehab shows that he is trying to learn the life skills that he needs in order to stay clean. 
I thought I read that the duration of time between applications is basically how the rules work.

There's no inside story there. It is what it is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I read that the duration of time between applications is basically how the rules work.

There's no inside story there. It is what it is. 
I haven't heard anything as far as "rules" for a timeline of application for reinstatement. Maybe that's the case, but I have not heard that anywhere else. Also, I think that we need to step back and look at this realistically. It isn't as if Josh was an abuser of harsh drugs, and committing domestic violence on the weekends. He was a young, dumb kid who couldn't stop smoking marijuana. Now, I don't see any reason why the NFL would once again deny him the opportunity advance his career if he is clean.

I haven't heard anything as far as "rules" for a timeline of application for reinstatement. Maybe that's the case, but I have not heard that anywhere else. Also, I think that we need to step back and look at this realistically. It isn't as if Josh was an abuser of harsh drugs, and committing domestic violence on the weekends. He was a young, dumb kid who couldn't stop smoking marijuana. Now, I don't see any reason why the NFL would once again deny him the opportunity advance his career if he is clean.
 In the original report from Gordon's life coach/trainer, they stated September 21 as the earliest date that he could reapply. 

That would seem to indicate that there is a specific timeline. 

If he was University of Alabama he sits out the first half of the next game

I’m surprised that there has been nothing at all on Gordon to this point. With the exception of that unconfirmed report that Gordon is more than 50/50 to play this season. I thought for sure that at the very least some big NFL names (Schefter for example) would confirm that JG is eligible to re-apply and state their theory on his situation.

Is no news good news? I suspect this is going to take a lot longer than most people thought.

I’m surprised that there has been nothing at all on Gordon to this point. With the exception of that unconfirmed report that Gordon is more than 50/50 to play this season. I thought for sure that at the very least some big NFL names (Schefter for example) would confirm that JG is eligible to re-apply and state their theory on his situation.

Is no news good news? I suspect this is going to take a lot longer than most people thought.
I already dropped him for a DB in my IDP league. 

I'll probably drop him in my other league next week. 

No news isn't good news, it's just no news. If he'd applied for reinstatement I'd expect that to have been reported on somewhere.

his agent hasn't said a word? Where's Mr Optimism life trainer guy Montgomery? He's the original source for the Sept 21st date. 

Could it be that report was BS too? 

The one that was from an NFL employee?
Didn't happen. 

Just googled it again - in the last week there's been a single shaky BR clickbait artfle that has none details and speculates his odds at "50-50", but that's it.

Not one update otherwise. Last update from the league was 6 days ago saying they've got nothing to do with Gordon. 

That's a pretty good gauge of how delusional Gordon still is. It took months for the league to approve Bryant to even attend practice after his suspension, and it took months longer before he was actually allowed to practice.  Even then, he wasn't officially cleared to play until a few days before the season started.  But, Gordon thinks he's walking out of rehab and will be playing 2 days later?  Wonder if he was on a late-night munchie run when this guy ran into him?

This is the widely reported "personal conversation" with some guy who posts on a Browns message board.  From THREE weeks ago. Got any newer news? I can't seem to find any.
No, but I found it believable. I also have a calendar. Do your own research and report where you see from ANYTIME that he won't be reinstated ever. 

Until they say no one final time I'm going to be hopeful he returns.  You can continue being you. ?

No, but I found it believable. I also have a calendar. Do your own research and report where you see from ANYTIME that he won't be reinstated ever. 

Until they say no one final time I'm going to be hopeful he returns.  You can continue being you. ?
I was on this train but now I think the outlook is dim. Believe me, I'm googling just like everyone else.  Be you, that's great.

I understand now that all this useless talk in here is so that this thread gets to page 420 ASAP. Please continue. 
I am pretty sure you have among the top 10 post counts in this thread over the last couple months. Seems odd considering how much you hate seeing it on the first page when there is no news to report.

This is the widely reported "personal conversation" with some guy who posts on a Browns message board.  From THREE weeks ago. Got any newer news? I can't seem to find any.
There is a report from a reporter from Sporting News further up, but it has no timetable, just that (IIRC) Gordon will be applying for reinstatement. Again no timetable from the NFL.

There is a report from a reporter from Sporting News further up, but it has no timetable, just that (IIRC) Gordon will be applying for reinstatement. Again no timetable from the NFL.
I didn't see anything from sporting news. Just that shady AF bleacher report dude saying "better than 50-50" with nothing in the article to substantiate that sentiment. 

The Sporting News article was the quote from Montgomery, Gordon's life coach/trainer from Sept 13th that rekindled all this nonsense, saying he'd reapply.

It wasn't a reporter - just a comment from that dude. And there has been none comment from Gordon, Montgomery, the NFL or Gordon's agent since.

I didn't see anything from sporting news. Just that shady AF bleacher report dude saying "better than 50-50" with nothing in the article to substantiate that sentiment. 

The Sporting News article was the quote from Montgomery, Gordon's life coach/trainer from Sept 13th that rekindled all this nonsense, saying he'd reapply.

It wasn't a reporter - just a comment from that dude. And there has been none comment from Gordon, Montgomery, the NFL or Gordon's agent since.
This tweet below is the source of the BR article. Eric Galko writes for Sporting News. I don't follow Galko or now how accurate he is but that tweet really tells no one anything, nor does he BR article.

Eric Galko‏Verified account @OptimumScouting Sep 20

NFL source believes it's "better than 50/50" Josh Gordon gets reinstated this year. Still far from a lock. We could learn more this week.

This tweet below is the source of the BR article. Eric Galko writes for Sporting News. I don't follow Galko or now how accurate he is but that tweet really tells no one anything, nor does he BR article.

NFL source believes it's "better than 50/50" Josh Gordon gets reinstated this year. Still far from a lock. We could learn more this week.
Exactly. 

I read the article and was like "ok, so why is it better than 50-50?"

total clickbait. 

The NFL will either entertain reinstatement or flat out deny it very soon. There is no benefit to them dragging their feet. It's a mild infraction in today's world and if he really did complete rehab, is in a good place and in great shape then there is no reason to keep a man down. If he's failed a recent test than there's no reason to believe he'll ever get it. I'm fairly certain a decision will come down within a week.

Thanks, yes he writes for SN, and then he went on to say there is no timetable.

I agree with Hot Sauce above, I just want to firm up that Galko does write for SN. I think this is the only report from a reporter and it's not so much a report as an unsourced rumor, albeit supposedly from the NFL.

Thanks, yes he writes for SN, and then he went on to say there is no timetable.

I agree with Hot Sauce above, I just want to firm up that Galko does write for SN. I think this is the only report from a reporter and it's not so much a report as an unsourced rumor, albeit supposedly from the NFL.
He has a verified twitter account and his bio does state he owns Optimum Scouting and that he is a NFL/CFB writer at the SN so that part seems to check out.

The NFL will either entertain reinstatement or flat out deny it very soon. There is no benefit to them dragging their feet. It's a mild infraction in today's world and if he really did complete rehab, is in a good place and in great shape then there is no reason to keep a man down. If he's failed a recent test than there's no reason to believe he'll ever get it. I'm fairly certain a decision will come down within a week.
That's how I feel. I think the owners are trying to present a more just appearing discipline that Goodell had offered before. Gordon entered rehab on Thurs Sept 29 2016, with my guess being that he missed the drug test between September 26th and 28th come up and those would be his potential reactivation dates, at least one year out of the league. It wouldn't be surprising if the NFL reinstated him to practice with the team for several weeks before permitting him to play. An application for reinstatement date of September 21st would work nicely for a potential reactivation one week later on the 28th

I don't understand why after 400 pages so many are misunderstanding why Josh Gordon is actually suspended indefinitely.

it is not for a "Mild infraction" of smoking pot.

its for repeat violations of the NFL drug policy, and repeatedly violating the terms of his conditional suspensions. 

Being a repeat violator is why he is suspended, not pot or booze. 

I like how you say "dragging their feet" which implies some sort of action. lol

The benefit is they can ignore it completely for as long as they want and focus on league business instead.

which is more effort, doing nothing or doing something? Pretty sure it's doing nothing, which is exactly what I'm expecting the NFL to do until they absolutely have to. 

I like how you say "dragging their feet" which implies some sort of action. lol

The benefit is they can ignore it completely for as long as they want and focus on league business instead.

which is more effort, doing nothing or doing something? Pretty sure it's doing nothing, which is exactly what I'm expecting the NFL to do until they absolutely have to. 
There's a ton of people out there who read that he went to rehab, wants back in and is in phenomenal shape. I don't know how true it is but with the thousands of people that are whining about Kaepernick not getting a shot, I'm guessing the league doesn't want another issue to defend. There's no downside to them giving him a shot. He fails a test and he's out for good. He does well and they look great for giving him a shot. They do nothing and the people that see it as the NFL oppressing him will have a forum. The NFL doesn't want that.

There's a ton of people out there who read that he went to rehab, wants back in and is in phenomenal shape. 
Phenomenal NFL football shape? How does one do that, be in rehab and prepare for an NFL season? - Does anyone know if Gordon has been at the training facility in general or has he been locked out? When was the last time he trained with the team? Because the way I remember the last time he came back he was winded and running wrong patterns.

There's a ton of people out there who read that he went to rehab, wants back in and is in phenomenal shape. I don't know how true it is but with the thousands of people that are whining about Kaepernick not getting a shot, I'm guessing the league doesn't want another issue to defend. There's no downside to them giving him a shot. He fails a test and he's out for good. He does well and they look great for giving him a shot. They do nothing and the people that see it as the NFL oppressing him will have a forum. The NFL doesn't want that.
I have been following this as closely as anyone and haven't seen anything to indicate "phenominal shape". 

He's reportedly sober, and according to his life coach/trainer, he's ready to reapply. 

To date, that's the most we know, and it's hardly from an unbiased source.

also, he had to go back to rehab. Why? That seems important. Did he relapse since last September when he missed a test & went to rehab? We don't know. They haven't said. 

Theres no reason for the NFL to do anything here. And so far, nothing is what they've done. And when asked directly a week ago, they said Gordon hasn't made it to Goodell's desk.

no update since. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I have been following this as closely as anyone and haven't seen anything to indicate "phenominal shape". 

He's reportedly sober, and according to his life coach/trainer, he's ready to reapply. 

To date, that's the most we know, and it's hardly from an unbiased source.

also, he had to go back to rehab. Why? That seems important. Did he relapse since last September when he missed a test & went to rehab? We don't know. They haven't said. 

Theres no reason for the NFL to do anything here. And so far, nothing is what they've done. And when asked directly a week ago, they said Gordon hasn't made it to Goodell's desk.

no update since. 
I agree with most of what you are saying, but it’s most likely he went to rehab on the advice of council. It would look good in the NFL’s eyes if JG was proactive before any serious bid at being re-instated.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but it’s most likely he went to rehab on the advice of council. It would look good in the NFL’s eyes if JG was proactive before any serious bid at being re-instated.
I agree - as the attorney who chimed in said, lawyers always advise clients to do this.

but the thing is, he already went to rehab. And if he'd stayed clean for a year, why would his atty advise him to go to rehab *again*? 

Seems like maybe we collectively missed something - like maybe he wasn't clean so had to go back and establish that good look. 

Dunno, but it's a little weird. 

I agree - as the attorney who chimed in said, lawyers always advise clients to do this.

but the thing is, he already went to rehab. And if he'd stayed clean for a year, why would his atty advise him to go to rehab *again*? 

Seems like maybe we collectively missed something - like maybe he wasn't clean so had to go back and establish that good look. 

Dunno, but it's a little weird. 
Yeah it’s weird. And by weird I mean he probably relapsed. The NFL would be monitoring him with random drug and alcohol screens. Likely weekly and sometimes twice a week. So Gordon would not need to go to rehab so it looked good to the league.

And the most telling thing is that we all were eagerly anticipating the September 21st date when he was to leave rehab.  Shouldn't have there been a little blip of news?  Wouldn't he have snapchatted or instagrammed that he was out?  Shouldn't there have been some announcement that he has filed for reinstatement (and by announcement I mean from a credible source, not just some yahoo on twitter who wants to up his follows)?

Yet...Nothing.  That tells me he is likely still in rehab because he probably isn't clean.  I know I may be jumping to conclusions there.  But what's the alternative?  He got out of rehab under cover of darkness at 2 AM wearing a hoodie, he's holed up with his agent (who we still don't know who that is) and lawyer in some undisclosed location, and they've secretly filed the reinstatement paperwork yet nobody in the league office feels that is news to broadcast, and all of a sudden they're going to say - Surprise! - Gordon is reinstated?  Me thinks not.

And the most telling thing is that we all were eagerly anticipating the September 21st date when he was to leave rehab.  Shouldn't have there been a little blip of news?  Wouldn't he have snapchatted or instagrammed that he was out?  Shouldn't there have been some announcement that he has filed for reinstatement (and by announcement I mean from a credible source, not just some yahoo on twitter who wants to up his follows)?

Yet...Nothing.  That tells me he is likely still in rehab because he probably isn't clean.  I know I may be jumping to conclusions there.  But what's the alternative?  He got out of rehab under cover of darkness at 2 AM wearing a hoodie, he's holed up with his agent (who we still don't know who that is) and lawyer in some undisclosed location, and they've secretly filed the reinstatement paperwork yet nobody in the league office feels that is news to broadcast, and all of a sudden they're going to say - Surprise! - Gordon is reinstated?  Me thinks not.
To be fair that would be pretty sweet though. They just totally Ninja it. Tomorrow comes and Gordon is in the starting lineup for the Browns, goes 7/174/2.  :)  

If he was out TMZ would've been all over it.  

If he was out TMZ would've been all over it.  
:shrug:  TMZ missed him being out 3 weeks ago when he chatted with the guy who posted on the Browns fan forum about how Gordon expected to be reinstated in time for today's game. Oh, wait, wasn't he still supposed to be locked down in rehab then? Maybe that's why there hasn't been an announcement about his successful completion of the program.

:shrug:  TMZ missed him being out 3 weeks ago when he chatted with the guy who posted on the Browns fan forum about how Gordon expected to be reinstated in time for today's game. Oh, wait, wasn't he still supposed to be locked down in rehab then? Maybe that's why there hasn't been an announcement about his successful completion of the program.
That is exactly what I thought.  How did that guy chat with her person to person when Josh was supposed to be in rehab.  If this conversation did happen he would have mentioned that he went to his rehab center for this discussion to take place.  I see no benefit of leaving this out of the conversation as that would a perfect time to mention how clean Josh is this time.

Of course there is a downside for the NFL.

Imagine this headline "NFL enabled recidivist drug user kills family of four in DUI collision"
The NFL didn't give him a license, just the ability to play in a game. Unless of course the family of four runs on the field and he's full speed at the 5 and......

The NFL didn't give him a license, just the ability to play in a game. Unless of course the family of four runs on the field and he's full speed at the 5 and......
Since when does rational thought impact a salacious click-bait generating headline?

Right, wrong or otherwise that story would absolutely draw the NFL through the mud, there is no question about it. The NFL will absolutely take that possibility into account in making a decision on Gordon.

Users who are viewing this thread