What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

I heard Cabot on the Dan Patrick Show this morning and she stuck by her story. She's a veteran journalist.....I have no doubt that she's got solid sources within the organization.

I heard Cabot on the Dan Patrick Show this morning and she stuck by her story. She's a veteran journalist.....I have no doubt that she's got solid sources within the organization.
Mary Kay is hot garbage. 

Anyways, JG gets tested multiple times a month, so if he was high, he'd be popped. 

Where’s the best spot?
Not in the NFL, selling something based on his name (insurance, cars, paint, whatever). This dude doesn't want to play football, he just wants to catch TD's on Sunday. Until that changes he's only going to keep skirting the edge of relapse. He's lazy, not a good teammate and has the mental make up of an eighth grader. He'll end up on a roster because crazy talent but he isn't going to suddenly turn into 2013 Josh. Much as I'd like to be wrong about it, I don't think I am.

Soulfly3 said:

Anyways, JG gets tested multiple times a month, so if he was high, he'd be popped.
This is a logical fallacy, although I suspect that you know that already considering your long-term commitment to this schtick.

I gotta hand it to you, brother. No one has ever been more wrong, more times, in one thread than you have in this one, and you still haven't deleted your account or stayed away from this embarrassment of this topic. There's something to be said for that kind of resilience.  :thumbup:
lol so true

Where’s the best spot?
First and foremost, it all depends on whether or not he wants to play football more than he wants to puff or get his drink on.

The best spot for him is where he isn't needed to be "the man".  He needs to be a complimentary piece somewhere, a "nice to have".  If the pressure is on him, and the team is pressured to enable him because of their need of his skills, Gordon is being set up to fail.  A good spot might be Detroit.  No media pressure, veteran QB that's been with the franchise for a while, veteran WRs to keep him in check.  Falcons are the same way.  No pressure on him to be a star with Julio on board.  Complementary piece on an already high-octane offense.  Green Bay would be a solid spot too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's lost on a lot of people that there have been exactly zero reports from anyone - and everyone who's anyone has reported on this - that his release/trade from the Browns has anything to do with drugs or alcohol of any kind.  He was clean enough last year to be conditionally reinstated, he sought help when he needed it with the support of the team, and despite being tested all the time hasn't failed any tests since.  His teammates haven't had anything negative to say about him, and there's no reason to believe he doesn't WANT to play football.  If you feel that way, you should try to better understand what addiction really means.  Or maybe it just feels better to pile on, and to each their own.

This time it wasn't about drugs no matter how many people want it to be.  The Browns have put up with a lot, and the way he got this hamstring injury after a week of game-planning with him was the final straw to them.  Maybe another team would've shrugged it off, but not the Browns with their history with him.  He has the talent (but not the reliability) to be "the man" and as long as he's sober and clean, he'd improve nearly any WR group.  Some need him more than others, that's all.

Full disclosure, I'm a sucker for second chance stories and giving people an opportunity to redeem themselves.

Like a lot of people on this board, I've dealt with a number of family members with addiction problems.  It never stops being frustrating when they fail.  But it also never stops being the most awesome thing ever when they turn things around.

Patriots are great fit and Brady will air it tf out for him. Let’s hope it NE
Not to single you out, but why is NE a great fit . . . just because NE is short on WRs? Gordon is known for ad-libbing plays and doing his own thing . . . not running precision routes to a t. NE has usually shied away from players that don't stick to strict coaching, a rigid game plan, and a team first mentality. They have tended to shy away from me first players with high profile problems and personalities. I just don't see it, as I am pretty confident another team would offer more and be more willing to take on Gordon than the Patriots would. If NE had any interest at all, they would probably only offer a 7th round conditional pick. I would be very surprised if NE made an attempt to acquire Gordon.

I think it's lost on a lot of people that there have been exactly zero reports from anyone - and everyone who's anyone has reported on this - that his release/trade from the Browns has anything to do with drugs or alcohol of any kind.  He was clean enough last year to be conditionally reinstated, he sought help when he needed it with the support of the team, and despite being tested all the time hasn't failed any tests since.  His teammates haven't had anything negative to say about him, and there's no reason to believe he doesn't WANT to play football.  If you feel that way, you should try to better understand what addiction really means.  Or maybe it just feels better to pile on, and to each their own.

This time it wasn't about drugs no matter how many people want it to be.  The Browns have put up with a lot, and the way he got this hamstring injury after a week of game-planning with him was the final straw to them.  Maybe another team would've shrugged it off, but not the Browns with their history with him.  He has the talent (but not the reliability) to be "the man" and as long as he's sober and clean, he'd improve nearly any WR group.  Some need him more than others, that's all.
The problem with this is that you really have no idea what actually transpired that was the tipping point for the Browns to get to this decision.  Did he injure his hamstring racing a drone?  Possibly.  Was he late to a bunch of meetings?  Seems realistic.  Did he show up to the team facilities looking "out of sorts" which gave the Browns concern that he was relapsing?  Wouldn't shock me.  So to say with certainty that "this time it's not about drugs" seems short-sighted as to the bigger picture behind what most people feel have been Gordon's shortcomings thus far into his professional career. 

Personally, I'll believe the interest from other teams when I see an official notice that he's been traded.  Until then, I'd wager it's the Browns trying to stir up interest in a player they no longer want any part of to try to extract some value.  My money is on him being released, and seeing very little interest in the open market.  The league is certainly better with the addition of each and every exceptionally talented player in uniform, so I hope for Gordon and the fan's sake that he gets his life figured out and can contribute to a team for the foreseeable future. 

I keep coming on here thinking someone will actually have official news about his new landing spot. Can we please stop going around and around with the same questions/conjecture

Last edited by a moderator:
Full disclosure, I'm a sucker for second chance stories and giving people an opportunity to redeem themselves.

Like a lot of people on this board, I've dealt with a number of family members with addiction problems.  It never stops being frustrating when they fail.  But it also never stops being the most awesome thing ever when they turn things around.
Except Josh has been given chance after chance after chance. 

The league will move on from him. Some teams are kicking the tires....and may be a sucker in a trade. But once they see what the Browns already know. It will be over.

Success for Josh Gordon is staying clean. He is having trouble just doing that. Do you really think this young man has the ability to be a professional football player when he can't even be on time to meetings? He is a complete mess. And it is sad because he has a god given talent. But he unfortunately is pissing it away with his addiction. And while I understand drug and alcohol addiction is a disease, it is also a choice you make as an adult to partake in. It is on you. There is no one else to blame but yourself. Most of us choose to lead sober lives. And you can only give so many chances to someone who is an addict and who keeps falling off the wagon. Tough love.

The fact some recover is incredible. Because the tension of living day to day is hard enough for former addicts. I know a few personally. I admire them for doing everything they can to get better. 

He needs a total life change to have any shot of staying clean. The NFL is not part of that life change. He simply will be too tempted with the lifestyle a lot of these players have off the field. 

Just my opinion. But I have seen this story many many many times.

It sucks. But those are the cold hard facts. I was rooting for him like everyone else. But seriously? There are so many guys out there busting their ### to be in the league, and some are truly very talented. But the numbers game is the numbers game.

Josh Gordon is now taking up space and opportunity for more deserving young men out there trying to live the NFL dream. Guys that work hard, take ownership, and are clean.

You heard it here first. You don't spend 3 years dealing with a guys BS to cut him when he "just" pulls a hammy.  There's more to the story. Cleveland is trying to salvage any value with "multiple interested teams"  Im not buying.
He didnt "just pull a hammy"

Gosh I pray for my fantasy team and his health he ends up in a good situation.  Eagles have a good front office, head coach and QB this would be perfect.

The problem with this is that you really have no idea what actually transpired that was the tipping point for the Browns to get to this decision.  Did he injure his hamstring racing a drone?  Possibly.  Was he late to a bunch of meetings?  Seems realistic.  Did he show up to the team facilities looking "out of sorts" which gave the Browns concern that he was relapsing?  Wouldn't shock me.  So to say with certainty that "this time it's not about drugs" seems short-sighted as to the bigger picture behind what most people feel have been Gordon's shortcomings thus far into his professional career. 

Personally, I'll believe the interest from other teams when I see an official notice that he's been traded.  Until then, I'd wager it's the Browns trying to stir up interest in a player they no longer want any part of to try to extract some value.  My money is on him being released, and seeing very little interest in the open market.  The league is certainly better with the addition of each and every exceptionally talented player in uniform, so I hope for Gordon and the fan's sake that he gets his life figured out and can contribute to a team for the foreseeable future. 
That's all very fair.  However, we've heard that he was late for meetings.  We heard that he pulled his hamstring trying to outrun a drone while doing a promotional video from multiple sources.  What we haven't heard THIS time is that it has anything to do with drugs, and that was verified by the NFL that he's not facing any discipline.  Given how many people have dug into this and reported/tweeted/posted about it, I believe we would have heard if this was drug related. 

Obviously even if it wasn't drugs this time, it's the past drug use and all the times the Browns were burned trusting him that led to this, but we have no reason to believe this incident has anything to do with drugs unless you want to read into the "not being himself" stuff, which was only reported by one source.  I can't verify this, but I've heard that the Browns' media is basically just a mouthpiece for the organization and they report what the team wants them to.  In the end, the big picture to me is that he sought help during training camp and hasn't any problems for over a year now. 

I agree... I'll believe the trade thing when I see it.  Sure seems to be a lot of smoke about it.  If he's released and goes unsigned, that'll be very telling.  Of course, that's why I've said that we won't really know ANYTHING about this situation until we see how it's resolved.  

Sorry if this is old news, but when Gordon showed up to the team facility on Saturday, he was acting like he was "not himself" and management was concerned that he was struggling with sobriety

If true, then it sounds like the Browns are doing him a favor by saving him from another suspension.

Not necessarily.  Some drugs leave the system very quickly.
100% pure speculation on my part (if I am proven wrong or there is no proof I am correct I will acknowledge and apologize) but I suspect what happened is Gordon pulled-up lame during the photo shoot (for his own line of clothing per Glazer), knew the Browns would be livid about it, and tried to hide it. He took something to help him get through the walkthrough believing (if he could hide the injury until he got to NO) he could say it happened during warm-ups and not catch heat for hurting himself during a non-team activity. Problem is whatever that something was had a noticeable effect on him and the staff working with him Saturday morning caught on. They went to the Browns honchos and said something along the lines of "Uh, you're not going to believe this but Josh is out with a hammy (he didn't have at practice yesterday) AND he seems like he's goofed-up on something." and that was the last straw.

The part of this that is confusing is the GM releasing the statement the Browns were done with Gordon. If he sensed there was a market for that player, making that statement prior to trying to swing a deal was foolish. He showed his hand and likely killed any leverage he may have had in negotiating a higher price. Which leads me to believe he was either on tilt and not thinking clearly (possible) or he felt there was no downside to him saying they were washing their hands. If it is the latter, that should tell us something about the future of Josh Gordon in the NFL.

Not to single you out, but why is NE a great fit . . . just because NE is short on WRs? Gordon is known for ad-libbing plays and doing his own thing . . . not running precision routes to a t. NE has usually shied away from players that don't stick to strict coaching, a rigid game plan, and a team first mentality. They have tended to shy away from me first players with high profile problems and personalities. I just don't see it, as I am pretty confident another team would offer more and be more willing to take on Gordon than the Patriots would. If NE had any interest at all, they would probably only offer a 7th round conditional pick. I would be very surprised if NE made an attempt to acquire Gordon.
No my analysis was solely offered on situation and qb that would fit and benefit JG

eagles are even better and would love to see that being landing spot.  

All the other details and facts, certainly relevant were not factored into my statement by we can not control the outcome. It’s a waiting game. Let’s see later today

He didnt "just pull a hammy"
Thats what I said.

If this is schitck on your part, props, thats some serious dedication, 3 years of dragging this thread to the front for a player that hasn't had a meaningful fantasy contribution since 2014.

I'm sure you could dig up the C-mike thread once this fiasco is finally over.

Whoever signs him, (Hey Eagles), just let him be whatever he was when he stepped on the field with an assortment of complete hack QBs back in 2013. Sleep in, miss meeting, clueless on playbook, whatever. Send him deep and chuck it up.

- Carson Wentz owner.

I remember when he was a conditional pick and owners were hot to add him.

Man, I'm getting old.
I drafted him in 2013 on an FFPC startup team. And I know you play FFPC but for those that don't know we have to cut down to a maximum of 14 WR/QB/RB/TE's in offseason.

What I find kind of amazing is that not only have I held on to him for what is going on season 5 now but that in another FFPC league of mine someone has held him since 2012.

I drafted him in 2013 on an FFPC startup team. And I know you play FFPC but for those that don't know we have to cut down to a maximum of 14 WR/QB/RB/TE's in offseason.

What I find kind of amazing is that not only have I held on to him for what is going on season 5 now but that in another FFPC league of mine someone has held him since 2012.
You aren't the only one, GB. Right, @JPeso

I remember when he was a conditional pick and owners were hot to add him.

Man, I'm getting old.
I remember one owner traded a pretty decent future draft pick for $100 FAAB money to assure himself the ability to land him in offseason waivers following the Supplemental Draft. 

For the folks who said NE is a good place for him, I respectfully say that you cannot be more wrong in my opinion. Two factors in NE why he won't be a good fit: BRADY and BELICHICK.

Brady is known for being tough on his WRs. He expects a lot of himself hence he expects a lot of his WRs on and off the field...as much in practice as during game time. Secondly, Belichick will not put up with Gordon's antics...no way.

NE has a lot of pressure...it's the team to beat, it's the PATS...blah blah blah...Gordon will not last a month in NE.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/118848-ian-rapoport-describes-49ers-interest-josh-gordon-tepid/

Ian Rapoport describes the 49ers’ interest in Josh Gordon as ‘tepid’

How interested is San Francisco? Ian Rapoport of NFL Network believes the 49ers are just monitoring the situation at this point. He joined KNBR on Monday morning to discuss the chances of Gordon landing with the Niners.

"I would say they are interested, but I would describe their interest as more tepid than anything," Rapoport said on the "Murph & Mac" show. "I'm not saying it's not going to happen, and I know that Gordon, the two places that he would like to go are the Cowboys and the 49ers.

"The Cowboys are not going to happen. The 49ers, I think, if the price is right, it might, but I just don't get the sense that they're going to overspend (or) they're going to put a lot of resources into trying to bring him. Maybe if they were going to cut him, the 49ers might come in and say, 'We'll give you a seventh-rounder.'

"I get the sense it is more monitoring than anything else. There's a couple of reasons for that. First of all, unfortunately, the 49ers have been in this situation before where they have a player who has good intentions, who has been in the substance abuse program, who is a fantastic talent, and says all the things, and does all the right things, and have seen it go the wrong way. It's hard to do that a lot no matter how big of a talent he is.

"Think of what Cleveland actually ended up getting on the field out of Josh Gordon over six years. Really, one season. It's amazing. So I would say the Niners are monitoring, but I would probably not put them in the driver's seat."

Everyone saying the Pats is delusional, IMO. 

The hoodie is a discipline guy, yes. 

That means he doesn’t put up with players who pull the irresponsible me-first BS that Gordon was pulling reportedly missing or late to meetings, not learning the playbook or running routes.

it doesn’t mean he’s going to be Gordon’s daddy & discipline him into shape. That’s not what Hoodie does, did, or will do. 

Players play Hoodies way or get traded to a terrible team. History shows us this.

hes taken a couple guys who’ve seemed like bad apples (Moss & Corey Dillon, most notably) and they’ve played well for the Pats. Those are two excellent football players who worked hard and showed up on time, despite the perception of me-first attitudes. They embraced the Pats way because they wanted to win & bought in to Hoodie’s discipline & team-first approach.

IMO the Patriots are the least likely of any team to bring in this kind of distraction. Brady isn’t going to want a dude who doesn’t learn his routes. It’s a total round peg for a square hole.

it pains me to say, but the 49ers are probably his best landing spot.   :wall:

For the folks who said NE is a good place for him, I respectfully say that you cannot be more wrong in my opinion. Two factors in NE why he won't be a good fit: BRADY and BELICHICK.

Brady is known for being tough on his WRs. He expects a lot of himself hence he expects a lot of his WRs on and off the field...as much in practice as during game time. Secondly, Belichick will not put up with Gordon's antics...no way.

NE has a lot of pressure...it's the team to beat, it's the PATS...blah blah blah...Gordon will not last a month in NE.
Ha - we typed a very similar post at about the same time. 

Completely agree. Hoodie trades away bad apples. He doesn’t trade for them. 

Everyone saying the Pats is delusional, IMO. 

The hoodie is a discipline guy, yes. 

That means he doesn’t put up with players who pull the irresponsible me-first BS that Gordon was pulling reportedly missing or late to meetings, not learning the playbook or running routes.

it doesn’t mean he’s going to be Gordon’s daddy & discipline him into shape. That’s not what Hoodie does, did, or will do. 

Players play Hoodies way or get traded to a terrible team. History shows us this.

hes taken a couple guys who’ve seemed like bad apples (Moss & Corey Dillon, most notably) and they’ve played well for the Pats. Those are two excellent football players who worked hard and showed up on time, despite the perception of me-first attitudes. They embraced the Pats way because they wanted to win & bought in to Hoodie’s discipline & team-first approach.

IMO the Patriots are the least likely of any team to bring in this kind of distraction. Brady isn’t going to want a dude who doesn’t learn his routes. It’s a total round peg for a square hole.

it pains me to say, but the 49ers are probably his best landing spot.   :wall:
Yeap, right on point.

On top of all you said above, there is Brady. He's a tough love kinda guy. He yells at his WRs every game, every practice...he wants excellence the same way he expects it for himself. There is no way Gordon will be able to take the heat from Brady on a daily basis.

This is funny, but addiction is such a re-start on life. It's no party. But you know that, and your point is taken. Temptation is rampant in NO. Just read Confederacy of Dunces for affirmation.  

It's on my bucket list of places to visit before I die.   
Remember to drink a lot of water as this could be life changing ....fyi humbly 

Users who are viewing this thread