What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (1 Viewer)

Some people want every thing in life and some people want just enough but also some want too much in life and those people are who you read about.

Hoodie is a discipline guy. He's also a smart guy and knows Brady's window is closing fast. They might have one or two more years where they're a contender. If he thought Gordon was a piece that may make them get one more ring before it's over, he'd sign him in a heartbeat. 

Randy Moss says hi.
Randy Moss had an attitude problem. When things didn't go his way, he acted like a child. When he was getting the ball and/or the team was winning, he was generally not a problem. NE had a plan to get him the ball and they had a winning culture. They had good reason to believe it would work when they took him in.

Gordon's issues are far different from Moss'. I agree with those folks who've said NE (despite their need at WR) knows better than to bring trouble the likes of Gordon into their organization. Belichick is smart enough to know no matter how good of a coach he is he'd never be able to get into Gordon's head with all the demons that reside there, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
you guys are comparing corey Dillon and randy moss to Gordon...LOL...

Both buys had a big career behind them when they joined the pats and they wanted to finish it in a winning team to give them a chance to win a superbowl or at least to be in competition for it.

Completely different situations if you ask me...

Moss/Dillon earned the right to have some flexibility in that offense and he also had the admiration of belichick and brady...not really the case with Gordon.

You guys cannot put these 3 situations in the same bucket, that's just plain ridiculous.

5-6 examples of NE taking on "Gordon's" and it still "doesn't count"

Oof. 

Anyways, dont think he ends up there regardless

I'm one of the ones that thinks NE is an awful landing spot for Gordon with his obvious freelancing on routes. NE will stand for attitude problems, but not work-related ones. There's a difference there. It's like cutting things the wrong way at a strict deli. Gordon can't show up with great stock and slice it his own way. It's the Patriots Way for a reason, and Gordon isn't likely to succeed there. I'd love to be wrong and eat my own hat, but I doubt that's the case here.  

Randy Moss says hi.
Randy Moss was never a non-team player. I even mentioned him in my post.

Corey Dillon was also perceived as a “me-first” guy. 

But he was never a non-team player.

i recall zero reports of discipline issues, showing up late to practice, stupid off-field antics, or lack of focus on playbook or team concepts.

not a good comparison at all. 

and Corey Dillon sends his regards as well.
I mentioned Dillon as well.

Not a good comparison. 

Dillon never had a rep as being lazy, missing meetings, not working hard, not knowing the game-plan. 

That, IMO, is the kind of “discipline” Hoodie isn’t gonna sign up for.

containing an ego isn’t the same as babysitting a multiple offender problem child who doesn’t buy in 100%. 

and LaGarrette Blount say "wat up?".
Did you just quote yourself? Wow. 

Maybe you could use a little of Hoodie’s discipline. :lol:  

Seriously though - Blount was another guy who works hard, learns the playbook, shows up on time.

Being hard-headed, arrogant, taking stupid penalties for celebration or personal fouls - these are coachable behaviors, and Hoodie is the zen master for that type of player. 

Far far different than what he’d be signing up for with Gordon. 

When is the deadline here?  I thought he was getting cut today.
Browns announced they were cutting him and then found out they could trade him. Then they announced they are trading him. Now we are all just waiting to see what is actually happening. If he is not traded today I doubt there is much of a market for him. I am hoping Detroit takes a flier but doubt it. 

Part of me doesn't believe the Browns will actually go through with cutting him.  He's a talent, and if he's clean, sober, and recovering from a hamstring injury, it still doesn't make sense to me that they'd cut him after sticking with him through a lot worse.

But, it'll be a circus if they try and keep him or backtrack now.  They pretty much have to either release or trade him now, right?

I mentioned Dillon as well.

Not a good comparison. 

Dillon never had a rep as being lazy, missing meetings, not working hard, not knowing the game-plan. 

That, IMO, is the kind of “discipline” Hoodie isn’t gonna sign up for.

containing an ego isn’t the same as babysitting a multiple offender problem child who doesn’t buy in 100%. 
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I thought Dillon refused to go back in a game with the Bengals and caused other locker room problems.

Where did the lazy narrative come with Gordon? - he's in amazing shape.

Randy Moss was never a non-team player. I even mentioned him in my post.
He literally gave up on the Raiders. He didn't run routes on plays that weren't designed to go to him and loafed during practices and games.

This mythology that the Pats don't take on talented problem children is a bit strange. I get the "Patriot Way" and all but let's not act like they are some saintly organization. They employed a literal murderer after all.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

FollowFollow @RapSheet

More

The #Patriots are getting close on a deal for #Browns WR Josh Gordon, source said. Not official yet but headed that way.

Crazy that he's going there.  What's his value?  I think the classic overreaction is going to be that he's instantly a WR1 with his talent put together with that offense.  But I don't buy that he'll be putting up monster numbers there.  Brady doesn't exactly have the best deep ball.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I thought Dillon refused to go back in a game with the Bengals and caused other locker room problems.

Where did the lazy narrative come with Gordon? - he's in amazing shape.
The rep probably comes from not knowing routes and game situations, showing up late to meetings, etc. Plus add in his distractions to a team culture, and you're got this presence on your hand that you have to deal with. If he starts freelancing on routes and not knowing the playbook, that's where he'll be perceived as not dedicated to football like he needs to be. The questions for his employers are multi-pronged, and take a lot of head-scratching:

1. Can he stay within league sobriety policy?
  2. Is he healthy?
  3. Is he going to show up to every team meeting and be like a normal, on-time guy?
  4. Is this all worth the expenditure of time, resources, and draft picks?
It all depends on so many moving parts, and in reading the Mary Kay Cabot article, he hasn't exactly surrounded himself with saints to deal with these issues and questions.  

He literally gave up on the Raiders. He didn't run routes on plays that weren't designed to go to him and loafed during practices and games.

This mythology that the Pats don't take on talented problem children is a bit strange. I get the "Patriot Way" and all but let's not act like they are some saintly organization. They employed a literal murder after all.
Yeah, The Patriot Way was not meant as a compliment, necessarily. They've taken on quite a bit of trouble. It just tends to be that the discipline works out for them with certain guys, and others they cut. Think Albert Haynesworth and others.  

Users who are viewing this thread