What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Just so people know. Ian Rapoport is the least reliable big name pundit out there. Just last week he said, Devonta Freeman is fine. Just yesterday he said MCcoy broke a rib and then said came back and had to correct himself. 

Adam Schefter reports it, then I'll believe it.
That's fine, but 0.0% chance? 

It makes sense for the Pats to trade for him since it's basically free. they'll kick the tires and either release or wait and see.
And boy do they need the help, even assuming Edelman comes back as vintage Edelman.  Watching GOAT trying to challenge the Jags D with Hogan (JAG), Dorsett (BAG-barely a guy) and Patterson (JAKR-just a kick returner) was depressing

Oh, I don't know, but maybe the TWENTY wide receivers the Patrtiots have rostered and released since the Super Bowl may have had something to do with it.
As I said a couple of days ago before the trade was leaked, the Patriots like reclamation projects at WR.  See Philip Dorsett.  See Randy Moss.  See Danny Amendeola. Even Wes Welker was a Dolphin first. 

ETA Weeeee! This was always going to be a roller coaster!

Last edited by a moderator:
By Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

Published: Sept. 17, 2018 at 03:05 p.m.

Updated: Sept. 17, 2018 at 03:41 p.m.

"Josh Gordon might soon have a new home.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the New England Patriots are getting close on a deal for Browns receiver Josh Gordon, per a source informed of the situation.

The Browns made it public over the weekend they were planning to release him after the sides reached a point where the team said it was best to move their separate ways.

"This afternoon we informed Josh Gordon and his representatives that we are going to release him on Monday," general manager John Dorsey said in a statement released Saturday. "For the past six years, the Browns have fully supported and invested in Josh, both personally and professionally, and wanted the best for him, but unfortunately we've reached a point where we feel it's best to part ways and move forward. We wish Josh well."

Cleveland has since shifted to exploring trade options, Rapoport reported Monday.

The final straw for Cleveland came by way of Gordon injuring his hamstring at a promotional photo shoot, per Rapoport.

Selected in the second round of the 2012 supplemental draft, Gordon has proven to be an exceptional talent -- when he's on the field. Availability has been Gordon's biggest issue, with the receiver missing all of 2015 and 2016 due to suspension and returning for the final five games of 2017. Of an 82 possible games (counting each game from Cleveland's 16-game regular-season slates from 2012-2017 and the first two contests of 2018), Gordon has appeared in just 41.

As a result, typing "six seasons with the Browns" in reference to Gordon isn't entirely accurate. Cleveland has stuck with the receiver through multiple violations of the league's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, offering support when possible through each violation, even as they resulted in extended absences. After finishing the 2017 season healthy, Gordon missed 2018's training camp to ensure his health and wellness, and the Browns again supported Gordon, welcoming him back in the final two weeks of the preseason.

The receiver has admitted in personal pieces published by various outlets that he's struggled with substance abuse since he was in middle school, and that he never played a game sober prior to his 2017 return.

Seemingly in a better place, Gordon returned to the field in Week 1 and caught a game-tying touchdown in Cleveland's eventual tie with the Pittsburgh Steelers. But just days later, things turned toward separation between the Browns and Gordon, who thanked the organization via an Instagram post.

Now, back to the football part of this story: Gordon has shown himself to be a rare talent, leading the NFL in receiving in 2013 with 1,646 yards and nine touchdowns despite only appearing in 14 games. He's since found the end zone just twice in the ensuing five seasons.

His catch against Pittsburgh in a steady rain proved, though, why Cleveland stuck by him for so long. It's also why a good amount of teams were interested in Gordon when news of his availability became public.

New England has attempted this type of deal before, bringing in a variety of receivers who found success elsewhere (Chad Johnson, Kenny Britt, Brandon Lloyd, Michael Floyd, etc.). Gordon is on a different tier than those wideouts, though, and is worth the risk as long as he can stay on the field.

With details of the possible trade unknown, it's difficult for us to judge the perceived risk just yet. And with years of history suggesting otherwise, it's tough to project how much of an impact Gordon will actually make.

One thing is for sure, though: The image of Tom Brady tossing touchdowns to a streaking Gordon sure is tantalizing."

As I said a couple of days ago before the trade was leaked, the Patriots like reclamation projects at WR.  See Philip Dorsett.  See Randy Moss.  See Danny Amendeola. Even Wes Welker was a Dolphin first. 
The list is almost endless. Ochocinco. Brandon LaFell, Torry Holt. Reggie Wayne. Jordan Matthews, Eric Decker. Kenny Britt. Michael Floyd. Brandon Lloyd. Reche Caldwell. Keshawn Martin. Austin Collie. Donte Stallworth. Joey Galloway. Jabar Gaffney. Doug Gabriel. Tim Dwight. Andre Davis. David Patten. Donald Hayes. Bert Emanuel. Torrance Small. Charles Johnson. Marc Edwards. Those are the ones I remember. As you can see from the names on the list, most of them didn't do all that much.

The list is almost endless. Ochocinco. Brandon LaFell, Torry Holt. Reggie Wayne. Jordan Matthews, Eric Decker. Kenny Britt. Michael Floyd. Brandon Lloyd. Reche Caldwell. Keshawn Martin. Austin Collie. Donte Stallworth. Joey Galloway. Jabar Gaffney. Doug Gabriel. Tim Dwight. Andre Davis. David Patten. Donald Hayes. Bert Emanuel. Torrance Small. Charles Johnson. Marc Edwards. Those are the ones I remember. As you can see from the names on the list, most of them didn't do all that much.
Along with every WR currently on their roster.....

Seriously? Brady was the NFL’s MVP last year and threw for over 500 yds in the SB. He simply has zero talent (w/the exception of Gronk) around him...That would change in a hurry if New England landed Josh Gordon
I never questioned his greatness. His passes are generally 7 yard outs and slants to Edelman or 15 yarders to Gronk or dump offs to Dion Lewis or James White. He's a 41 year old man now. Not sure if having a deep threat really matters if the defensive backs know he can't throw deep anymore. 

Here is my caveat. 

This is a long term play by the Patriots.  They aren't worried about JG coming in tomorrow and playing this week.  

The Patriots scheme is very complex.  It will take him time to get on the same page as Tom Brady.  He isn't going to get back on the field for a while.  At least a month.  This is about the Pats playoff push IMO.  

Can't imagine him putting up big #s in NE. He won't be able to pick up their O. He'll be like Chad Johnson. Clueless. However, they are smart enough to know to just tell him to run 20-30 yards downfield to allow Gronk and Edelman to run their routes without being double covered. It's the threat of Gordon every now and then that will loosen up defenses. He's not gonna come in and be anything like Moss. Moss was a smart dude.

In other words a very dangerous decoy if they can get him out of bed.

A few of these guys even retired instead of continuing on somewhere else.

Can't imagine him putting up big #s in NE. He won't be able to pick up their O. He'll be like Chad Johnson. Clueless. However, they are smart enough to know to just tell him to run 20-30 yards downfield to allow Gronk and Edelman to run their routes without being double covered. It's the threat of Gordon every now and then that will loosen up defenses. He's not gonna come in and be anything like Moss. Moss was a smart dude.
I haven't read anything about him not being a smart guy.  

I agree he isn't going to put up Randy Moss numbers because Randy Moss is a hall of fame WR.  But, if he survives and can stay sober, I can see next year JG putting up numbers.  He is under contract for 2 years. 

Hairy Snowman said:
Here is my caveat. 

This is a long term play by the Patriots.  They aren't worried about JG coming in tomorrow and playing this week.  

The Patriots scheme is very complex.  It will take him time to get on the same page as Tom Brady.  He isn't going to get back on the field for a while.  At least a month.  This is about the Pats playoff push IMO.  
:lmao: There is nothing long term about JG other than endless headaches BUT...see below

lod001 said:
If I was Bill, above is what I'd do. Get him up to speed enough so he's not running routes hindering the other players on the field and just tell him to do his thing. Brady is a good enough QB to find him when/if he's open. That's about the extent JG is capable of learning at this point.

:lmao: There is nothing long term about JG other than endless headaches BUT...see below
I admit, the long term strategy has not been a winning one so far, but there is little risk and his talent level is beyond Philip Dorsett, Hogan and Amendeola combined (all also reclamation projects). 

Hairy Snowman said:
I haven't read anything about him not being a smart guy.  

I agree he isn't going to put up Randy Moss numbers because Randy Moss is a hall of fame WR.  But, if he survives and can stay sober, I can see next year JG putting up numbers.  He is under contract for 2 years. 
There have been previous posts about him running wrong routes on a regular basis, not knowing the playbook, etc.

Trade now agreed to: Patriots are sending Cleveland a 5th-round pick and if Gordon isn't active for 10 games, Patriots get back a late-round pick from Browns, sources tell ESPN.

As @rapsheet reported, Patriots were closing in on trade for Gordon.
Trade now official.

Ian Rapoport  @RapSheet

The #Patriots have agreed to trade for #Browns WR Josh Gordon, I’m told. Done deal. IT’s for a conditional 5th round pick.

If I was Bill, above is what I'd do. Get him up to speed enough so he's not running routes hindering the other players on the field and just tell him to do his thing. Brady is a good enough QB to find him when/if he's open. That's about the extent JG is capable of learning at this point.
Pretty sure the phrase “just do your thing” has never existed as a part of Hoody’s lexicon 

There have been previous posts about him running wrong routes on a regular basis, not knowing the playbook, etc.
He said he ran the wrong route on the interception in game 1.  I have never seen a report (from the team) of anything like that though. His problem was availability.    

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

The #Patriots have agreed to trade for #Browns WR Josh Gordon, I’m told. Done deal. IT’s for a conditional 5th round pick.

4:16 PM - Sep 17, 2018

Gordon flunked his way from the Browns onto a Superbowl contender. I'm thinking he suddenly and mysteriously has zero issues and flies a straight and narrow path to stardom.
Yeah, because it couldn't possibly be the team that was 1-32-1 over the past 34 games that was contributing to the problem....

Any chance this is a better place for him?

man, there are a lot of targets when Edelman gets back.

Edelman, Hogan, Dorsett/Patterson as lower snap guys, Gordon

Gronk

White/Burkhead can both catch out of the backfield, and Michel is getting healthy and is a beast on them wheel routes.

Should be fun to watch.

Wow. I did not expect New England and Gordon to be natural fits. Let's hope he can familiarize himself with the playbook in time to be a weapon soon.  

What kind of trade was this?

Patriots acquired WR Josh Gordon from the Browns in exchange for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2019 draft.

If Gordon is active for ten games in New England, the fifth-rounder will be the only pick changing hands. If Gordon is active for fewer than ten games, the Pats will get back a 2019 seventh-rounder from the Browns. Gordon had an MRI on his hamstring and it "came out fine," per NFL Network. He'll be in play to contribute as soon as Week 3 at Detroit, although Gordon will obviously need more time to fully grasp the Patriots' complex offense. More will be known about Gordon's projected immediate playing time as the week moves along, but this is one of his best-case scenario landing spots from a fantasy standpoint. By Week 5, the Patriots should be able to field an 11-personnel configuration of Gordon, Julian Edelman, and Chris Hogan at wide receiver and Rob Gronkowski at tight end. The rich get richer.
Good Lord...

Users who are viewing this thread