What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Last year, in the 11 games Josh Gordon played in, Brady averaged 100+ more yards passing per game.  

I think that is worth noting.  He opens the field and gives Brady a player he can get a read on the defense with.

I'm not trying to provide big news.  I'm defending the fact that the guy is relevant when people are asking why a guy has a 441 (442) page thread.  If you don't care, then see the door.
You probably should have quoted the guy who asked that question then instead of mine. I was simply countering another posters argument that their off season moves somehow show that they are very confident that he is returning this year.

I thought you won FF contests by scoring more points than your opponent. Didn't realize "potential" points counted. My bad.
It's June.  How many points have any of your players scored for you this season?  It's all potential points right now - every last one of them.  If you're in a dynasty league, then every rookie draft pick you make is nothing but potential fantasy points as they have yet to score a single one for you in an NFL game.  This guy has the potential to score as many of those points as some other WRs taken many, many rounds ahead of where he's being taken.

Last year, in the 11 games Josh Gordon played in, Brady averaged 100+ more yards passing per game.  

I think that is worth noting.  He opens the field and gives Brady a player he can get a read on the defense with.
I am not onboard with this take. Brady had Edelman suspended for four games and Brady himself was hurt with a knee injury later in the year that pretty much coincided with Gordon being out. They also made a concerted effort to bulk up the running game for the playoffs. 

So while you may be right about the numbers, I am not sure that has much to do with Gordon being the reason. 

I think the biggest fantasy loser if Gordon comes back is Dorsett. With limited TE options, I think NE will either play 3 WR a lot or use 2 RBs (so either White and Burkhead at once or maybe White lined up in the slot). 

Overall, other than Edelman getting his usual 8-10 targets, I think the fantasy outlook for other NE receivers is fair to middling. Gordon did ok last year, but overall he had to be considered on the disappointing side for those that hoped for the JG from5 years ago. IIRC, Gordon was a borderline fantasy WR3 when he played. A decent return if people got him off the scrap heap. Not so much if you held him for years or drafted him to start the season. 

I am not onboard with this take. Brady had Edelman suspended for four games and Brady himself was hurt with a knee injury later in the year that pretty much coincided with Gordon being out. They also made a concerted effort to bulk up the running game for the playoffs. 

So while you may be right about the numbers, I am not sure that has much to do with Gordon being the reason. 

I think the biggest fantasy loser if Gordon comes back is Dorsett. With limited TE options, I think NE will either play 3 WR a lot or use 2 RBs (so either White and Burkhead at once or maybe White lined up in the slot). 

Overall, other than Edelman getting his usual 8-10 targets, I think the fantasy outlook for other NE receivers is fair to middling. Gordon did ok last year, but overall he had to be considered on the disappointing side for those that hoped for the JG from5 years ago. IIRC, Gordon was a borderline fantasy WR3 when he played. A decent return if people got him off the scrap heap. Not so much if you held him for years or drafted him to start the season. 
Just noting correlation.  11 games is not too small of a population.  

Personally, I think the Pats are an adjustable polymorphous offense.  IMO The Pats are shifting away from the quick short pass game (Edelmen, White, Dorsett) as the bread and butter with running backs out of the backfield to a more ground and pound (Michel, Harris, Burkhead) and deep over the top style of offense with larger receivers that can block and win contested 50/50 balls (Harry, Gordon, Inman, Thomas). 

But regardless, the offense will swing on matchups.  The Pats can flip mid game between 3 different styles of offense.  That is why it is so hard to stop them.  It is hard to pick the player matchups in each Patriot game, nevermind trying to extrapolate player performance over a season.  But, historically, the receivers, even the exceptional ones, are not going to put up huge consistent fantasy numbers in the Pats offense.  Unless you are Randy Moss.  Or Corey DIllon.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not onboard with this take.
Sure there were other factors as well - but just a few other stats from last year to get you thinking....

In the 5 games without Gordon, Brady only topped 250 passing yards once.  In the 11 games with Gordon, he did it EVERY game.

In the 5 games without Gordon, Brady's yards per attempt was under 6.5.  In the 11 games with Gordon, his yards per attempt was over 8. 

Not saying it was all Gordon - as you pointed out there were other factors, but lets not discount it totally.  It was a different offense when Gordon was on the field. 

Just noting correlation.  11 games is not too small of a population.  

Personally, I think the Pats are an adjustable polymorphous offense.  IMO The Pats are shifting away from the quick short pass game as the bread and butter with running backs out of the backfield to a more ground and pound and deep over the top style of offense primarily.  But it is all going to swing on matchups.  The Pats can flip mid game between 3 different styles of offense.  That is why it is so hard to stop them.  It is hard to pick the player matchups in each Patriot game, nevermind trying to extrapolate player performance over a season.  But, historically, the receivers, even the exceptional ones, are not going to put up huge numbers in the Pats offense.  Unless you are Randy Moss.  But this could be a completely different style than we have seen for a few seasons. Remember Corey Dillon? 
I agree that the Pats run an amoeba offense and reconfigure to fit who is on their roster (obviously with great success). Not sure they are moving to more of a deep threat style with less dink and dunk. That may have been true 2-3 years ago when they had Cooks and Hogan. Brady was not as efficient or as accurate last year, and I don't think they had many deep throws. They had some, like you said, when they sucked in the defense to stop the run or when it was third down anyway and Brady just took a deep shot. But they still ran a ton of underneath routes and tosses to White to set up 2nd or 3rd and short.

Even without a true deep threat most years, they usually took their shots to either keep defenses honest or set teams up for when they really needed a big play. If that's what you mean by deep over the top a couple times a game, then sure, I'd go with that. But last year they ran a ton of short routes with an occasionally seam route or deep cross. I was actually surprised at how little they ran Gordon on deeper routes.

Maybe that had to do with Brady's knee issue. Maybe that had to do with limited confidence in the line. But I don't remember a ton of deeper routes, save for the occasional post route by Gronk and once in a great while Dorsett.

Sure there were other factors as well - but just a few other stats from last year to get you thinking....

In the 5 games without Gordon, Brady only topped 250 passing yards once.  In the 11 games with Gordon, he did it EVERY game.

In the 5 games without Gordon, Brady's yards per attempt was under 6.5.  In the 11 games with Gordon, his yards per attempt was over 8. 

Not saying it was all Gordon - as you pointed out there were other factors, but lets not discount it totally.  It was a different offense when Gordon was on the field. 
Certainly having someone else to throw to helped Brady, but I think there really is no good way to look at the numbers and conclude much of anything. As already indicated, no Edelman was a huge issue. Brady hurt was a huge issue. Then after finally having some games with JG, then they had to rearrange things to make do without him . . . which certainly didn't help any.

But Brady threw for 343 yards, 348 yards, and 262 yards with his knee in better shape in the playoffs and without Gordon. Did having Gordon help the offense once he came along? More than likely. But did Gordon put up big numbers when he played? Not really.He averaged 65 yards and basically a TD every 4th game. Not horrible but not great. Basically trending toward a 1000/4 season. Again, depending upon where and how a fantasy owner got him, that could be decent to nominal value. Bottom line, he wasn't a huge fantasy impact last year. Granted, things could change, but clearly he would need to be reinstated sooner rather than later and be available for the season.

Unlike past seasons, Brady threw for either 0 or 1 TD in 11 of 19 games last year. That is probably an outgrowth of Gronk being limited and Brady audibling to running plays at the goal line. That was the biggest difference in Brady last year. Between the regular season and post season, he averaged 279 passing yards per game, which over a 16 game season would be a shade under 4500 yards over a full season.

I don't really know what to expect for red zone receiving threats this year. My guess is they continue to pound the ball into the red zone or they exploit mismatches to get White open at the goal line.

Over the past 3 seasons that Edelman has played, counting his regular season and playoff numbers, he has produced at a rate of 106-1255-6 over a 16-game season. That probably won't change much in terms of his production (the verdict is out if he can play every game though).

Given that we have no idea how many games Gordon would be available for (and when he could even practice), it's tough to decipher how he would fit in. I would guess the TE position will be an afterthought in the receiving game this year and the WR group will just get more production overall (and maybe they throw to the backs a little more as well).

If Gordon can be acquired for pennies on the dollar, he's still worth the lottery ticket, but I wouldn't run to draft him until the later rounds. Even if he gets reinstated, I would still be cautious not to take him too early. Drafting him as a depth guy on a fantasy team great. Drafting him as a fantasy starter in the top third of a draft? Likely looking for trouble.

I agree that the Pats run an amoeba offense and reconfigure to fit who is on their roster (obviously with great success). Not sure they are moving to more of a deep threat style with less dink and dunk. That may have been true 2-3 years ago when they had Cooks and Hogan. Brady was not as efficient or as accurate last year, and I don't think they had many deep throws. They had some, like you said, when they sucked in the defense to stop the run or when it was third down anyway and Brady just took a deep shot. But they still ran a ton of underneath routes and tosses to White to set up 2nd or 3rd and short.

Even without a true deep threat most years, they usually took their shots to either keep defenses honest or set teams up for when they really needed a big play. If that's what you mean by deep over the top a couple times a game, then sure, I'd go with that. But last year they ran a ton of short routes with an occasionally seam route or deep cross. I was actually surprised at how little they ran Gordon on deeper routes.

Maybe that had to do with Brady's knee issue. Maybe that had to do with limited confidence in the line. But I don't remember a ton of deeper routes, save for the occasional post route by Gronk and once in a great while Dorsett.
Harry and Gordon are unlike any WRs the Pats have had since Moss.  The receivers were filling roles on the deep side, but they didn't excel against man to man. They essentially kept the defense honest. These receivers should win more of those 50/50 balls than they lose.  Put them both on the field with a big back and you have a mismatch against most NFL teams somewhere.

Harry and Gordon are unlike any WRs the Pats have had since Moss.  The receivers were filling roles on the deep side, but they didn't excel against man to man. They essentially kept the defense honest. These receivers should win more of those 50/50 balls than they lose.  Put them both on the field with a big back and you have a mismatch against most NFL teams somewhere.
BB has made a concerted effort to get bigger receivers on the roster this year.

Will he be kissing him on the mouth too?
Jealous?  

I can't say whether he is for sure, but it sounds like Tom Brady may be taking on the sponsor role in his treatment program while he is in NE.  If that turns out to be the case, you better believe Gordon is playing and probably is going to play his heart out. 

Jealous?  

I can't say whether he is for sure, but it sounds like Tom Brady may be taking on the sponsor role in his treatment program while he is in NE.  If that turns out to be the case, you better believe Gordon is playing and probably is going to play his heart out. 
No. Sponsors are themselves former addicts for t'ment purposes. Anybody who knows anything about addiction can tell you that.

No. Sponsors are themselves former addicts for t'ment purposes. Anybody who knows anything about addiction can tell you that.
True.  But regardless, you need a sober foundation.  Maybe that is the difference between a foster - addict and non-addict?  I really don't know.  I imagine that Josh will have his sponsor in Florida.  Maybe they work together? But, again, I think Tom Brady taking a direct role in the mans recovery has to point to good things. 

Edit to add: I'm jealous.  Josh Gordon is catching passes from the GOAT and hanging out with him and Giselle.   You aren't? Come on. A little?

True.  But regardless, you need a sober foundation.  Maybe that is the difference between a foster - addict and non-addict?  I really don't know.  I imagine that Josh will have his sponsor in Florida.  Maybe they work together? But, again, I think Tom Brady taking a direct role in the mans recovery has to point to good things. 
I will always be somewhat skeptical about Gordon and both his recovery and chances of relapse. I am sure the Patriots would love to have Gordon back ASAP, and maybe some of having Kraft and Brady intervening since he came to town is for show. Maybe they are trying to put even more of a marketing and PR spin to get the league to buy in that this time things really are different. It's great that Brady may want to take JG under his wing, but was there really a need to go public about it? How on earth could Brady have any common ground in understanding or relating to Gordon's inner demons?

I will always be somewhat skeptical about Gordon and both his recovery and chances of relapse. I am sure the Patriots would love to have Gordon back ASAP, and maybe some of having Kraft and Brady intervening since he came to town is for show. Maybe they are trying to put even more of a marketing and PR spin to get the league to buy in that this time things really are different. It's great that Brady may want to take JG under his wing, but was there really a need to go public about it? How on earth could Brady have any common ground in understanding or relating to Gordon's inner demons?
Honestly, It seems to me that Brady started posting his workouts on twitter right when JG stopped posting his.  I have never seen (or heard of) Brady working out to the extent he has been this off season. We all know Gordon is a workout madman.  Gordon didn't tweet that pass catch from Brady.  That was Brady that tweeted the catch.  Like he has been tweeting workouts all summer.  

My question.  How long have they been working out together for?  All we know is the taste, but since when does Brady post his workouts? Is it possible the change in behavior has more of a reason than we know? 

Just saying.  Tweeting workouts seems more of a Flash Gordon thing.

It's like this: Brady won't fix Gordon.  Gordon will fix Gordon, or he won't.  What I'm hoping for is the scenario were Gordon has grown tired of the suffering, and Gordon fixes Gordon.  If that plays out the media will schlurp Brady and the culture and blah blah blah but in the end its all on Josh.  Brady and the culture can only try to assist / positively reinforce.

It's like this: Brady won't fix Gordon.  Gordon will fix Gordon, or he won't.  What I'm hoping for is the scenario were Gordon has grown tired of the suffering, and Gordon fixes Gordon.  If that plays out the media will schlurp Brady and the culture and blah blah blah but in the end its all on Josh.  Brady and the culture can only try to assist / positively reinforce.
Agreed that in the end Gordon will or won't fix his own issues.  Of course, an important piece in that recovery is having a solid support system, and anything Brady can do in that regard is a plus.  Unlike the NFL drug policy, which keeps a suspended player away from their team entirely, potentially isolating the person while also removing a huge part of their structure/support system.  That makes about as much sense as most things Goodell does under his 'protect the shield' system of justice.  Hoping Gordon puts it together enough to get back on the field for a few consecutive seasons.

Josh is like Glenn Close... he won't be ignored.  From weeks 5-13, he was WR21.  Crossing him off your draft list too early is a mistake.  Those who are high on N'Keal need to follow his situation closely.

Josh Gordon MAY play this year. 

If he does it’s pretty safe to say he will serve at least 6G suspension. 

Last year Gordon was more likely to deliver WR3 or worse performance than a WR1 performance. 

If you have deep benches and the price is right? Sure. But, If you’re having to buy him in single digit rounds for a bunch of 5-7pt games just to get those 2 double digit point games.... wellllll... 

[icon] said:
Josh Gordon MAY play this year. 

If he does it’s pretty safe to say he will serve at least 6G suspension. 

Last year Gordon was more likely to deliver WR3 or worse performance than a WR1 performance. 

If you have deep benches and the price is right? Sure. But, If you’re having to buy him in single digit rounds for a bunch of 5-7pt games just to get those 2 double digit point games.... wellllll... 
Could you link me to the article where it shows he failed a drug test or violated his probation please?  This is news to me. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002110/article/patriots-josh-gordon-suspended-indefinitely-by-nfl

”New England Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Thursday for violating the terms of his reinstatement under the league's substance abuse policy”
That doesn't mean that he failed a drug test.  It means exactly what it says.

This was a trick question.   

"I take my mental health very seriously at this point to ensure I remain able to perform at the highest level," Gordon wrote in a statement. "I have recently felt like I could have a better grasp on things mentally. With that said, I will be stepping away from the football field for a bit to focus on my mental health. I would like to thank Coach (Bill) Belichick, (Patriots owner) Mr. (Robert) Kraft, as well as countless others with the Patriots organization for their continued support. I want to thank my fans for their support as well as I continue down the path to getting back to 100 percent."

What part of that sounds like he failed a drug test?  From the article YOU just cited and posted.

Pay close attention to the part where he said "I will be stepping away".  

Could you link me to the article where it shows he failed a drug test or violated his probation please?  This is news to me. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002110/article/patriots-josh-gordon-suspended-indefinitely-by-nfl

”New England Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Thursday for violating the terms of his reinstatement under the league's substance abuse policy”

That doesn't mean that he failed a drug test.  It means exactly what it says.

This was a trick question.   

"I take my mental health very seriously at this point to ensure I remain able to perform at the highest level," Gordon wrote in a statement. "I have recently felt like I could have a better grasp on things mentally. With that said, I will be stepping away from the football field for a bit to focus on my mental health. I would like to thank Coach (Bill) Belichick, (Patriots owner) Mr. (Robert) Kraft, as well as countless others with the Patriots organization for their continued support. I want to thank my fans for their support as well as I continue down the path to getting back to 100 percent."

What part of that sounds like he failed a drug test?  From the article YOU just cited and posted.

Pay close attention to the part where he said "I will be stepping away".  
:lol:  can’t tell if this is shtick or not 

I just took him at 16.09 in a startup FFPC Best ball Dynasty draft, seemed like a no brainer at that point in the draft

Violating terms of his reinstatement could have meant he skipped one or more treatment counseling appointments. 

Violating terms of his reinstatement could have meant he was out after curfew and non responsive to the team sobriety sponsor.  

Violating terms of his reinstatement could have meant he missed too many team meetings or some other football related metric to account for his time and behavior.  

Could you please point me to the terms of his reinstatement that were made public?  I am assuming, based on your highlight and interpretation, that when you read the terms, they only included that one provision - no failed tests.  Otherwise, how could you possibly know which term he violated? 

I'm guessing you are speculating it was a failed drug test. 

Also my GUESS, is that if Gordon had actually failed a drug test, we would have known by now because the league would have swiftly issued a definite numerical game suspension (ala Ricky Williams) based on the evidence at hand. 

Violating terms of his reinstatement could have meant he skipped one or more treatment counseling appointments. 

Violating terms of his reinstatement could have meant he was out after curfew and non responsive to the team sobriety sponsor.  

Violating terms of his reinstatement could have meant he missed too many team meetings or some other football related metric to account for his time and behavior.  

Could you please point me to the terms of his reinstatement that were made public?  I am assuming, based on your highlight and interpretation, that when you read the terms, they only included that one provision - no failed tests.  Otherwise, how could you possibly know which term he violated? 

Also my GUESS, is that if Gordon had actually failed a drug test, we would have known by now because the league would have swiftly issued a definite numerical game suspension (ala Ricky Williams) based on the evidence at hand. 
Nope.  That's what "indefinite" means.  The last time they suspended him for failed tests was also indefinite, never had a definitive number of games attached, and ended up being over a year. 

At the stage JG was at, the league had set up a specific rehabilitative care and compliance program for Gordon to follow. He broke the rules and received an indefinite suspension. He was past the point of a failed drug test = X number of games suspension. It was break the rules and be suspended indefinitely.

It was speculated that he went on a bender on the Patriots bye week and he was said to have tested positive for more than marijuana. It is not the league's policy to disclose what a player was whacked for and for what substances.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

If Gordon hasn't commented on the situation, we know the Patriots brass won't discuss it. So it makes things a little fuzzy in terms of what really happened and why he is suspended. It could be that he missed a drug test. It could have been a one time thing and he has been doing better ever since. But the challenge is there is no public information out there to indicate when or if he will be reinstated, if there would be a defined amount of games he would have to miss, when he might be re-integrated with the team, or a timeline to even set milestones for those events. By all accounts, the Patriots have gone above and beyond to get JG on the straight and narrow and paid for his treatment. Maybe the league will look at what the Pats have been doing with him and the league will get on board and see how much progress he has made and get him cleared sooner rather than later. We will just have to wait and see, unfortunately.

At the stage JG was at, the league had set up a specific rehabilitative care and compliance program for Gordon to follow. He broke the rules and received an indefinite suspension. He was past the point of a failed drug test = X number of games suspension. It was break the rules and be suspended indefinitely.

It was speculated that he went on a bender on the Patriots bye week and he was said to have tested positive for more than marijuana. It is not the league's policy to disclose what a player was whacked for and for what substances.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

If Gordon hasn't commented on the situation, we know the Patriots brass won't discuss it. So it makes things a little fuzzy in terms of what really happened and why he is suspended. It could be that he missed a drug test. It could have been a one time thing and he has been doing better ever since. But the challenge is there is no public information out there to indicate when or if he will be reinstated, if there would be a defined amount of games he would have to miss, when he might be re-integrated with the team, or a timeline to even set milestones for those events. By all accounts, the Patriots have gone above and beyond to get JG on the straight and narrow and paid for his treatment. Maybe the league will look at what the Pats have been doing with him and the league will get on board and see how much progress he has made and get him cleared sooner rather than later. We will just have to wait and see, unfortunately.
The only thing I would point out is that Ian Rappaport was the source for all three articles.  But thank you for the source.  It at least adds some credibility to the claim he tested positive.  I have not been under that impression. "More than marijuana" seems interesting as Gordon himself had said he had not done anything besides marijuana since college.  Interesting. Thanks again. 

The only thing I would point out is that Ian Rappaport was the source for all three articles.  But thank you for the source.  It at least adds some credibility to the claim he tested positive.  I have not been under that impression. "More than marijuana" seems interesting as Gordon himself had said he had not done anything besides marijuana since college.  Interesting. Thanks again. 
I saw two different articles.  One said “more than marijuana” and the other said he submitted a dilute sample.  Not sure if it was both or either. 

Applied for reinstatement this week. If the league allows him back, he’s an intriguing late round pick who had some really big games last season. Should be interesting.

Applied for reinstatement this week. If the league allows him back, he’s an intriguing late round pick who had some really big games last season. Should be interesting.
He wasn't terrible last year, but I am not sure I would describe him as having "some really big games." In the weeks he suited up, his weekly rankings in ppr leagues were:
50, 80, 29, 51, 24, 51, 5, 25, 36, 21, 22, 85. If you are a glass half full kind of a guy, he ranked as the #17 WR from Weeks 9 through 14.

Clearly he has pluses and minuses. His biggest selling point is he likely can be acquired for pennies on the dollar (well, at least prior to the reinstatement application news). But he carries a lot of risk in that he may or may not be able to play and could miss all or most of the season (either by current or future suspension). The bad news for Gordon is the team did better without him late in the year, and Brady had several big outings without JG in their SB run.

I would never suggest that people stay away from a guy that has shown he can have huge games. Everyone has their own threshold for risk and roster management. He's probably worth a flyer as a later round pick, but I get the feeling that his ADP will shoot way up if it looks like he will be reinstated. Since I live in NE, he will probably get drafted where I live as a fantasy WR3 . . . and I am not sure he is worth that. He is certainly worth picking up at his current ADP (pick 212).

He wasn't terrible last year, but I am not sure I would describe him as having "some really big games." In the weeks he suited up, his weekly rankings in ppr leagues were:
50, 80, 29, 51, 24, 51, 5, 25, 36, 21, 22, 85. If you are a glass half full kind of a guy, he ranked as the #17 WR from Weeks 9 through 14.

Clearly he has pluses and minuses. His biggest selling point is he likely can be acquired for pennies on the dollar (well, at least prior to the reinstatement application news). But he carries a lot of risk in that he may or may not be able to play and could miss all or most of the season (either by current or future suspension). The bad news for Gordon is the team did better without him late in the year, and Brady had several big outings without JG in their SB run.

I would never suggest that people stay away from a guy that has shown he can have huge games. Everyone has their own threshold for risk and roster management. He's probably worth a flyer as a later round pick, but I get the feeling that his ADP will shoot way up if it looks like he will be reinstated. Since I live in NE, he will probably get drafted where I live as a fantasy WR3 . . . and I am not sure he is worth that. He is certainly worth picking up at his current ADP (pick 212).
Quality post in a thread usually not known for them.  I've owned Gordon in 2 dynasty leagues for many years.  I've made up my mind about the risk/reward and he owns a roster spot until he is officially permanently banned from the league or retires.  Would I try and trade for him if I didn't own him?  Probably not.  Definitely not now with the news out.  But he is a sure hold.  Can't speak from a redraft perspective as I don't play.  Certainly worth a late round flyer in Best Ball leagues depending on how far he falls.  The potential is undeniable as is the risk.  I root for the kid to succeed.  It's fun watching him play football.

Users who are viewing this thread