Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

On 7/4/2021 at 1:07 AM, rockaction said:

I for one, will always root for the man personally and professionally. I only know we'll likely be disappointed again. I don't think he'll find any peace until long after his playing days -- or the situations within which he coasts by because of his former talent -- are over and done with.

You'll likely never catch me not wishing him luck unless he turns to violence in some form.

He’s hurt no one but himself. No reason not to pull for the guy.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

He’s hurt no one but himself. No reason not to pull for the guy.

Pulling for him is one thing, but the fact remains he hasn't done anything in a long time when on the filed.  So for fantasy purposes I don't see it.  I would think it's time for the fantasy community to move on.

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

Pulling for him is one thing, but the fact remains he hasn't done anything in a long time when on the filed.  So for fantasy purposes I don't see it.  I would think it's time for the fantasy community to move on.

Ok - I don’t think he’s any great fantasy asset either. I didn’t really comment on that at all.

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

This is mostly true, but in 4 of the 5 seasons he played after his breakout year, he was on pace for roughly 1,000 receiving yards projected over a full season. It’s unlikely he turns over a new leaf and will play a full season, but on the field he was still a fantasy consideration. 

The point being, he produced as a WR3 or as a flex when he played (except last year). He’s basically a waiver wire claim or last round draft pick these days. Given that his acquisition costs are bottom of the barrel, I won’t begrudge anyone having him on a fantasy team as a flyer. He’s also the type of player that is easy to drop for a better option if there is someone decent on the waiver wire. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Given that his acquisition costs are bottom of the barrel, I won’t begrudge anyone having him on a fantasy team as a flyer. He’s also the type of player that is easy to drop for a better option if there is someone decent on the waiver wire. 

Sure, no begrudging, but not my cup of tea.  At some point you have to move on from players.  Especially those that are 30 and haven't really produced for fantasy in many years.  It's really that simple.

Edited by JohnnyU

13 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Sure, no begrudging, but not my cup of tea.  At some point you have to move on from players.  Especially those that are 30 and haven't really produced for fantasy in many years.  It's really that simple.

Again, “produced” is a relative term. On a full season basis, Gordon clearly has not been a blip on the fantasy radar. But on a per game basis, when he actually plays he still has been an ok fantasy option. He has had weeks where he produced as a WR 2/3 and has at least been a decent injury/bye week fill in. IMO, last guy on the roster is not much of an investment to see where he lands and certainly won’t hurt a fantasy squad any when he most likely flames out. Different strokes for different folks. I can certainly see people wanting nothing to do with him as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

I could see a little buzz if KC took a shot on him as their #2 WR position seems in question. Other than that I have zero interest.

Wondering if this pun was intended or not...

Sure, if Gordon landed in such a fantasy friendly situation, there would be some interest.   I always root for him on a personal level but thought he looked old in New England.   In a pinch, such a short fantasy play-off run, he could find his way into fantasy relevance again.  There are better flyers.

Certainly it depends on the depth of your league.

I dropped ihmir smith-Marsette for him, from a roster spot that’s on the outside looking in to make the regular season roster. Feels like he’s got a higher chance of a value spike between now and then.

It’s been posted about before but when it comes down to total flyer picks after the guys you actually believe in are gone, there’s something to be said for the concept of urgency—the idea that I’ll know sooner whether a guy is worth keeping one way or the other instead of tying up a roster spot forever or likely dropping for a bye week filler before he gets his shot. I feel like Gordon will either be clearly worth something or clearly worthless by the time my cut deadline rolls around, which I like.

• 2 months later...

The NFLPA recommended free agent WR Josh Gordon be reinstated after successfully completing his NFL-monitored treatment program.

Gordon himself is awaiting final approval from Commissioner Roger Goodell but is said to be in shape and vaccinated ahead of any calls. Now 30, Gordon has made only 28 appearances since 2014, most recently being released by Seattle after he suffered a setback with substance abuse and sought immediate help in December. He last appeared in Week 15 of the 2019 season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 14, 2021, 4:13 PM ET