What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (5 Viewers)

Yenrub said:
Why is this taking so long?

Will Hill and Jayron Hosley of the Giants got their suspensions pretty quickly

What is the hold up with the Gordon case?
His appeal is not schedule until the end of July. Why do people keep repeating that this is taking so long, when we normally have no idea how long the process usually takes (Gordon's failed test was leaked, when others usually aren't).
I thought it was July 19th, but that's a Saturday. So what do I know...
Not sure what the exact date is:

A source tells ProFootballTalk an appeal hearing on Josh Gordon's suspension has been scheduled for late July.

Gordon reportedly faces a minimum one-year ban as a Stage 3 violator of the league's substance abuse policy. The hearing could be canceled if the NFL and NFLPA work out a deal to reduce the suspension. Nearing two months since the Gordon suspension saga began, it appears an end may finally be in sight.

Yenrub said:

His appeal is not schedule until the end of July. Why do people keep repeating that this is taking so long, when we normally have no idea how long the process usually takes (Gordon's failed test was leaked, when others usually aren't).
You are right I have no idea how long the process normally takes but I recall the news about Will Hill and Josh Gordon facing suspensions weren’t all that far apart which is why I asked the question

Yenrub said:

You are right I have no idea how long the process normally takes but I recall the news about Will Hill and Josh Gordon facing suspensions weren’t all that far apart which is why I asked the question
I think the news broke that Hill was facing suspension (meaning it leaked that is was about to be handed down) and the news that Gordon failed his drug test came out close in time frame, but I think it was a case where one was at the end of the process while in the other the process was just getting started.

Nevertheless, it seems once the appeal is heard shortly, the turn around time should be quick.

Andrew74 said:
Guy in my league just cut him. You'd think you'd wait for some final news.
Not that it matters, but who did he pick up?
Charles Johnson
who?
He was a pickup last year off GB's practice squad, I believe. When CLE signed him, it was discovered that he had an ACL tear. He's been rehabbing and CLE is optimistic he will be ready for Training Camp. Here's his right up coming out of college after last year's draft. Search him on the board and I'm sure you'll find a thread about him and his potential.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8615/charles-johnson

Packers selected Grand Valley State WR Charles Johnson with the No. 216 overall pick.
Johnson (6-foot-2, 215) bounced around three colleges due primarily to off-field issues before spending his final two years at Grand Valley State. Between his junior and senior seasons, Johnson rolled up 128 catches for 2,229 yards (17.4 YPR) and 31 touchdowns. Johnson also shredded his Pro Day with a 4.38 forty, 39.5-inch vertical, and 11-foot-1 broad jump -- Julio Jones measurables. Johnson will join the competition at receiver behind Jordy Nelson, James Jones, and Randall Cobb.

True story.

I attempted to create a profile under the name SoulFly's Revenge but was shot down. It was my hope that I could finally bring closure to such a hurtful chapter in the FootballGuys Forum history. One that saw the tyrant SoulFly step on so many toes, burn so many bridges, make so many awful predictions. It is easy to tell that he hurt a lot of people and left a painful scar on many-a-threads here in the SharkTank (as evidenced by posts and signatures). He has left a black eye on the GREAT INTEGRITY found here in these forums.

I have only recently started posting here but I can tell that the hurt runs deep for many. Almost becoming an obsession of sorts. I was hoping to create an entity, that every Josh Gordon hater could project their feelings on to. All of the built up anger and frustration towards SoulFly would be directed toward his cousin, SoulFly's Revenge! I would engage in some lively debate, allow EVERYONE to say "I told you so." "Ha Ha." "Jerk." "I was right you were wrong." "Nah nah nah nah nah!" "Look at me, I'm smarter than you!" Maybe even receive some extra loving at home for being "Da Man" here at Football Guys.

But you know what. My plan never even took off. I am stuck with a profile that will likely never receive posting clearance. The SoulFly's Revenge project will never leave the ground. My plan was to take all of the negativity, hurt, hate, spiteful comments, and broken nails, round them all up in a nice big sack and fly them up to the sun. Up Up Up I would go with the weight of SoulFly's burden weighing me down. With every last ounce of energy left I would thrust that bag toward the scorching, giant ball of energy. With it, would go the SoulFly's Revenge Profile. An inevitable sacrifice.

A sense of joy and pride would overtake the topic for all of the owners who knew Josh Gordon was going to be suspended (let's just throw in the guys who know Trent Richardson stinks for good measure). All of the anti-Soul Fly posters would hold hands and dance around in a victory circle! Confetti would fly and streamers would dance through the air. There would be peace and slowly... this thread would be allowed to die. Aside from the occassional "report" from the NFL, this thread would remain free of speculation and ridiculous rants (like this one).

But that will likely never happen until I receive clearance. I am going to continue to fight the good battle and resend my request to gain posting privileges under the name SoulFly's Revenge. I want to ease the pain. I want to see peace restored. I am willing to step up to the plate. I am willing to become SoulFly for the greater good of the Tank.

Can anyone find me a case where the NFL has suspended someone for a DUI BEFORE he has been convicted in court?

k, thanks.

Gordon is officially on idiot status in my books now.

But he's still not sitting the entire year out. You heard me.

Can anyone find me a case where the NFL has suspended someone for a DUI BEFORE he has been convicted in court?

k, thanks.

We will miss your absence when the final verdict is handed down. You seem like the kind of fella who welches on his bets.

k, thanks.

We will miss your absence when the final verdict is handed down. You seem like the kind of fella who welches on his bets.
I have one bet.

It'll be upheld... but it wont be me paying out.

Thanks for chiming in, that kind of was my point too.

The two speeding tickets and subsequent DUI charge have NO BEARING on what Gordons suspension will be.

There has been no conviction on any.

Yeah, I know, regular tregs like us would all burn for them , but like I catalogued in Lynch's case, he pretty much skated on what most of us would burn for.

That's how it is.

so, is that a no? no suspensions before a conviction?

sounds about right.
Roethlisberger got four games without ever even having formal charges filed. Granted, raping some college girl is pretty heinous compared to weed and booze.

So, given Gordon's continuing parade of utter stupidity, you still standing on him as the #1 overall player in FF? Or are we at the point where the now glaringly obvious risks push him down some?

sounds about right.
Roethlisberger got four games without ever even having formal charges filed. Granted, raping some college girl is pretty heinous compared to weed and booze.

So, given Gordon's continuing parade of utter stupidity, you still standing on him as the #1 overall player in FF? Or are we at the point where the now glaringly obvious risks push him down some?
depends how much time he misses.

but on a ppg basis, yes he is the no1 WR in fantasy

will likely still finish top 15 even if he gets 6 games

sounds about right.
Roethlisberger got four games without ever even having formal charges filed. Granted, raping some college girl is pretty heinous compared to weed and booze.So, given Gordon's continuing parade of utter stupidity, you still standing on him as the #1 overall player in FF? Or are we at the point where the now glaringly obvious risks push him down some?

Don't dodge the question -- you know I'm talking dynasty. How much time he gets off this year represents a tiny fraction of his dynasty value. You still think he can be trusted to keep it together moving forward?

sounds about right.

Your mind is sort of messed up, isn't it?

That's a rhetorical question. Don't feel you have to answer.

Thanks for chiming in, that kind of was my point too.

The two speeding tickets and subsequent DUI charge have NO BEARING on what Gordons suspension will be.

Yeah, I know, regular tregs like us would all burn for them , but like I catalogued in Lynch's case, he pretty much skated on what most of us would burn for.

That's how it is.
I've seen this posted a lot and I think it's entirely wrong. Gordon is appealing a suspension and to convince Goodell that he shouldn't be suspended a year. You may think Goodell is a robot but I assure you he's a real human being who can't erase knowledge of a DUI arrest and being caught with weed in his car from his memory. Also the last thing he wants to do is give him a lenient 8 game suspension just to have him get caught for something else in the next month or two.

sounds about right.
Roethlisberger got four games without ever even having formal charges filed. Granted, raping some college girl is pretty heinous compared to weed and booze.So, given Gordon's continuing parade of utter stupidity, you still standing on him as the #1 overall player in FF? Or are we at the point where the now glaringly obvious risks push him down some?

Don't dodge the question -- you know I'm talking dynasty. How much time he gets off this year represents a tiny fraction of his dynasty value. You still think he can be trusted to keep it together moving forward?
I wouldn't trust him but if I already had him on my team I would be dumping him for Charles Johnson, that's for sure.

Thanks for chiming in, that kind of was my point too.The two speeding tickets and subsequent DUI charge have NO BEARING on what Gordons suspension will be.

That's how it is.
I've seen this posted a lot and I think it's entirely wrong. Gordon is appealing a suspension and to convince Goodell that he shouldn't be suspended a year. You may think Goodell is a robot but I assure you he's a real human being who can't erase knowledge of a DUI arrest and being caught with weed in his car from his memory. Also the last thing he wants to do is give him a lenient 8 game suspension just to have him get caught for something else in the next month or two.
You may not think it's right.Fact is, Lynch was charged with DUI and got out of it, mostly.

Plead guilty to reckless driving with alcohol involved. And, this was After his little 3am hit and run, and his measly little weapons charge, perfectly harmless I know, and Goodell apparently thought so too, nothing but crickets on any Lynch suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought Goodell was a robot. He is stored at the NFL offices. He just finds a comfortable chair and powers down for the night.

Big Ben is a great point. His alleged crimes are much worse than Gordon's. He missed a month. I hope Gordon gets like 4 games and then just storms onto the scene as my WR3 and I win the championship.

Josh Gordon - WR - Browns
ESPN's Kevin Seifert expects Josh Gordon to eventually get another chance to play in the NFL.
Gordon is facing at least a 16-game ban for repeated substance-abuse related infractions. But Seifert points out that players who committed far worse crimes -- Donte Stallworth, Michael Vick, Plaxico Burress -- eventually made their way back into the league. At just 23 years old, Gordon has plenty of time to get his head on straight and start living clean. Assuming the Browns stick by him during his suspension, the two years remaining on his contract will be tolled aka paused. They could have an elite talent at salaries of $825K in 2015 and $1.06M in 2016.

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 17 - 8:36 AM

Josh Gordon - WR - Browns
ESPN's Kevin Seifert expects Josh Gordon to eventually get another chance to play in the NFL.
Gordon is facing at least a 16-game ban for repeated substance-abuse related infractions. But Seifert points out that players who committed far worse crimes -- Donte Stallworth, Michael Vick, Plaxico Burress -- eventually made their way back into the league. At just 23 years old, Gordon has plenty of time to get his head on straight and start living clean. Assuming the Browns stick by him during his suspension, the two years remaining on his contract will be tolled aka paused. They could have an elite talent at salaries of $825K in 2015 and $1.06M in 2016.

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 17 - 8:36 AM
I don't think anyone believes no team would ever give Gordon a chance again. I think the concern is that he would be facing frequent testing while he was on suspension and the dangers of him failing again would hurt his chances of being reinstated.

Hopefully the fact the he has now already (assuming suspension) pushed a multi-million dollar payday back another year in what already is a short NFL career "sobers" him up and he makes smart decisions.

Thanks for chiming in, that kind of was my point too.The two speeding tickets and subsequent DUI charge have NO BEARING on what Gordons suspension will be.
That's how it is.
You may not think it's right.
Fact is, Lynch was charged with DUI and got out of it, mostly.
Plead guilty to reckless driving with alcohol involved. And, this was After his little 3am hit and run, and his measly little weapons charge, perfectly harmless I know, and Goodell apparently thought so too, nothing but crickets on any Lynch suspension.
t's not the DUI that is at the basis of this potential suspension. It is an alleged failed drug test. the only reason anyone mentions the DUI is that while he's waiting for Goodell to hear his appeal, it wasn't a good thing to get himself in more trouble. It's quite possible that if Goodell was leaning towards some leniency, the two recent transgressions (that you just stubbornly/naively call speeding) could change that line of thinking.

sounds about right.

I wouldn't trust him but if I already had him on my team I would be dumping him for Charles Johnson, that's for sure.
would or would not???

That's how it is.
You may not think it's right.Fact is, Lynch was charged with DUI and got out of it, mostly.

t's not the DUI that is at the basis of this potential suspension. It is an alleged failed drug test. the only reason anyone mentions the DUI is that while he's waiting for Goodell to hear his appeal, it wasn't a good thing to get himself in more trouble. It's quite possible that if Goodell was leaning towards some leniency, the two recent transgressions (that you just stubbornly/naively call speeding) could change that line of thinking.
Isn't Blackmon's indefinite suspension for a DUI?

That's how it is.

No. We don't know what happened there -- best guess is he failed a random test, and given his history, it was probably alcohol, but this stuff is all technically confidential.

That's how it is.

It's not the DUI that is at the basis of this potential suspension. It is an alleged failed drug test. the only reason anyone mentions the DUI is that while he's waiting for Goodell to hear his appeal, it wasn't a good thing to get himself in more trouble. It's quite possible that if Goodell was leaning towards some leniency, the two recent transgressions (that you just stubbornly/naively call speeding) could change that line of thinking.
I don't know, but that's really not all that relevant to what I said anyway. Gordon could be suspended for a DUI, I guess - but right now that's not the issue he is dealing with. He allegedly failed a random drug test and is reportedly already in Stage 3 which makes that failure a year suspension.

Their is a difference between DUI and DWI.

Gordon was not arrested or charged with DUI he was nailed for DWI which is a lessor offense.

It was reported in every credible news story because news agencies get sued. Unlike posters in the Shark Pool they have to report legal matters very-carefully and factually.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-07-05/josh-gordon-dwi-arrested-cleveland-browns-north-carolina

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11178895/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-arrested-dwi

Police say Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon was arrested and charged with driving while impaired after speeding down a street in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Its been reported many times he blew a .09 which meant he was only a few minutes from not being charged with anything other than a speeding ticket. Stupid decision making pattern but he was charged with DWI not DUI. Carry-on.

Their is a difference between DUI and DWI.

Gordon was not arrested or charged with DUI he was nailed for DWI which is a lessor offense.

It was reported in every credible news story because news agencies get sued. Unlike posters in the Shark Pool they have to report legal matters very-carefully and factually.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-07-05/josh-gordon-dwi-arrested-cleveland-browns-north-carolina

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11178895/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-arrested-dwi

Police say Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon was arrested and charged with driving while impaired after speeding down a street in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Its been reported many times he blew a .09 which meant he was only a few minutes from not being charged with anything other than a speeding ticket. Stupid decision making pattern but he was charged with DWI not DUI. Carry-on.
By and large, there is no difference at all between DUI and DWI. The majority of states simply refer to all instances of impaired driving by one term or the other. Moreover, in the few states that DO use both terms and differentiate between them, DWI is the greater of the two offenses, not the lesser.

Fortunately for Gordon, North Carolina is simply one of those states that refers to all instances of impaired driving as DWI.

That's how it is.

I don't "stubbornly/naively" call it speeding. That's what it was. From my previous post on it:

"The first speeding ticket was just that, a speeding ticket 74 in a 60. Nobody gets suspended for that. It wasn't reckless driving, just speeding.

The latest speeding ticket was 50 in 35, not reckless driving. Nobody gets suspended for that.

He was also charged with DUI, Gordon blew a .09, the limit was .08."

I've been corrected that the DUI, is actually DWI.

So Gordon has been charged with a couple of speeding tickets and DWI.

Those three charges are just that, charges, not convictions.

The "speeding" tickets will carry no weight. The DWI might, but If history is any guide, it didn't carry any weight in M. Lynch's case as he blew Over the legal limit and plead it down to a reckless driving and as of now is playing 16 games in 2014.

Do you have any information that those things are not Facts, that I may be naive about?

Users who are viewing this thread