What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (11 Viewers)

Value on waivers? A lot of waivers hit tomorrow and Saturday.

FAAB 10-15%?

Worth a #1 waiver priority?

WOW. just heard on the radio that Gordon could get it reduced or play all 16 games and came here and saw it was true. All of us who held him could win the lottery here.

Appearing on NBC's NFL Kickoff 2014, Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reported Josh Gordon and Wes Welker's suspensions could be reduced or "go away completely" if the NFL and NFLPA agree on a new drug policy.
According to NFL.com's Albert Breer, Sunday is a "soft deadline" for an agreement. The Washington Post has since confirmed PFT's report. The sides have been trying to hammer out a pact that would allow testing for HGH. As a concession, the league would then raise the threshold for positive marijuana tests, and move amphetamines from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First-team substance abuse violations do not mandate a suspension. The situation is still very much up in the air, but it appears Gordon is worth stashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Washington Post confirms it's "possible" Wes Welker and Josh Gordon could have their suspensions reduced or overturned as part of a new drug-testing agreement.
Reporter Mark Maske has confirmed Profootballtalk's report. The reduced or vanished penalties would be part of a pact that simultaneously allows HGH testing and raises the threshold for a positive marijuana test. Amphetamines would also be moved from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First time substance-abuse violations don't trigger automatic suspensions. NFL.com's Albert Breer has pegged Sunday as a "soft deadline" in the talks, so we could have a resolution shortly.

Rotoworld:

The Washington Post confirms it's "possible" Wes Welker and Josh Gordon could have their suspensions reduced or overturned as part of a new drug-testing agreement.

Reporter Mark Maske has confirmed Profootballtalk's report. The reduced or vanished penalties would be part of a pact that simultaneously allows HGH testing and raises the threshold for a positive marijuana test. Amphetamines would also be moved from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First time substance-abuse violations don't trigger automatic suspensions. NFL.com's Albert Breer has pegged Sunday as a "soft deadline" in the talks, so we could have a resolution shortly.

Related: Josh Gordon

Source: Mark Maske on Twitter
Sounding more and more like a reduction could be a part of the agreement for high testing?

Wild stuff... #freegordon

I would say this may explain why Gordon has not sued yet. Wait until Sunday to see if the suspension is overtuned. Makes some sense. the NFLPA would have told him they were doing this and to hold off.

LOOOOL oh, so many of you are gonna get a HUGE slice of humble pie if this passes

Tho, Im not counting on this happening

Just asking in a "hypothetical world"--lets assume Gordons suspension gets reduced to 4 or 6 games on Sunday (again--this is sheer hypothetical)-- what would the ramifications be to the other relevant Browns players in the fantasy world? Of course--in deep leagues--this would make Hoyer/Manziel more appealing--but how about Tate and/or Cameron? Would this open things up for them more--or take opportunities away from them?

Picked up in all my leagues a couple of hours ago. The way I look at is I can trade my 17th/18th pick for a WR1. Even if the odds are 5% that he will be reinstated, I'll buy that lottery ticket. If it hits, you should be the early championship favorite. If it doesn't pan out, I drop him for WW flavor of the week.

"So you're saying there's a chance"

LOOOOL oh, so many of you are gonna get a HUGE slice of humble pie if this passes

I still don't see this happening, because it opens the league to all kind of legal problems from others players who have been suspended for weed & amphetamines in the past.That being said, I'll freely admit I was wrong, IF they apply this retroactively.

I still don't see this happening, because it opens the league to all kind of legal problems from others players who have been suspended for weed & amphetamines in the past.That being said, I'll freely admit I was wrong, IF they apply this retroactively.
Doubt youll be admitting anything... As in doubt you'll need toBut itd be so amazing for this turn of events to happen w gordon

It would be part of the CBA, and would benefit anyone this year, maybe including Bowe. The past suspensions would be irrelevant since it would only count this year.

They really would not be going back that much as if what I am reading on the internet is that the agreement would apply to the 2014 season going forward and Gordon and Sellers suspension start the 2014 season. Kind of a loop hole.

Doubt youll be admitting anything...

But itd be so amazing for this turn of events to happen w gordon
If it turns out to be true, I'd be ecstatic, I've got Welker on the same league as Gordon.

So if this happens, it will be as if this thread never happened at all.

This would then be a totally useless thread and Gordons value goes back to top 7 WR.

Ironic.

12 team, Keep 12 league, I was offered his Big Ben + 2015 1st rounder (probably mid-to-low) for my Gordon + Cutler.

Couldn't hit Accept fast enough.

I wanted to hold Gordon as a lottery ticket but this ride has been waaaay too bumpy for my tastes. I say "thanks" to Gordon for being a major contributor to my championship season last year, but time to ship you off so you're someone else's problem.

(Did I type "his Big Ben"...wait a sec...)

It would be part of the CBA, and would benefit anyone this year, maybe including Bowe. The past suspensions would be irrelevant since it would only count this year.
Where are you seeing this? It still seems to be pure speculation, but I've seen no reports of a "limit" to how retroactive the changes would be. In any event, any player who had been suspended for these substances in the past could make an argument that they should receive retroactive pay for their suspensions. Not saying they would win, but we love Ina litigious society.Bowen was suspended under the player conduct policy, I think. This speculation doesn't mention that policy.

So if this happens, it will be as if this thread never happened at all.

This would then be a totally useless thread and Gordons value goes back to top 7 WR.

Ironic.
You're getting there....

A few more steps and youll be cruising in style w the rest of us

Proust Loves Cake but hates Gordonites?

Sure it's prolly wasting a spot but what if it's not?

I bet you're the kinda guy who didn't roster Colston his rookie yr because it just wasn't fair for him to have WR/TE eligibility.

What's its matter if Gordon costs some of us a roster spot for a few more days... Nobody was planning on having him available at all and now there might just be some hope even if it's just a sliver.

So you can go ahead and roster Roy Helu or Alfred blue or a second defense or hey why not hold onto Richard Rodgers or Jermaine Kearse because they will ALL prolly score more pts than Gordon this yr... I'm gonna pick him up or hold him until I know for sure that a top 5 producer at his position is in fact out for the yr

Nothing but Love

Here is the Washington Post article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/09/04/josh-gordon-wes-welker-suspensions-possibly-could-be-modified-if-nfl-union-reach-deal-on-drug-policies/

The prospective deal between the NFL and its players’ union to modify the sport’s drug policies potentially could result in reduced or overturned suspensions for wide receivers Josh Gordon of the Cleveland Browns and Wes Welker of the Denver Broncos, according to two people familiar with the deliberations.

Both of those people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the negotiations between the league and the NFL Players Association remained at a sensitive stage, said the agreement likely would have to be completed before Sunday’s league-wide slate of games are played for modifications to the Gordon and Welker suspensions to be considered.

This is the first time I've gotten even a little excited.
Sorry to hear that... I do believe they make pills for that situation

:-)

Man if Gordon gets cleared how BIG of a celebratory blunt will he smoke?!!!

Heard it eluded to before but perhaps Gordon's lawsuit was not forthcoming because of these negotiations?

Look, what makes a Gordonite a "Gordonite" is insisting that he was somehow going to play in light of a mountain of evidence to the contrary, and an easy, thoughtless switch from one argument to another.

"We don't know it's 16 games, we only have a thousand reports, you don't know for sure!" 16 game suspension confirmed. Okay but:

"The appeal is taking too long - the NFL is scared!" Gordon loses his appeal. Okay but:

"Gordon has the best lawyers in the galaxy, all he has to do is get an injunction, which is easy!" No appeal filed, Gordon starts selling cars. Okay but:

Etc.

This is a little different. The reports are that the NFL and NFLPA are negotiating a new policy. It seems like the NFL wants some give from the NFLPA, and the NFLPA, it's reasonable to assume, will want some things from the NFL.

NFL: We want HGH testing.

NFLPA: Fine, but you have to change how amphedemines are classified, AND we want to increase the marijuana threshold becase, you know, it's not 1950....

NFL: Fine! Sucker!

NFLPA: ...wasn't finished. We want any changes to be applied retroactively to the beginning of the (NFL season/calendar year/whatever).

NFL: No way! Gordon? Do you know how many ##### e-mails I got from fantasy nerds telling me that pot was legal in like six states. And if Welker doesn't take a few weeks off his brain is going to expl-

NFLPA: HEY! When you wanted to throw together a "Domestic Abuse" policy in like 24 hours, did I give you any flak?

NFL: Well, no, you were pretty accommodating on that, but -

NFLPA: You owe me one. Apply the changes retroactively, and we'll hammer this thing out before kickoff on Sunday.

NFL: Ugh, fine, but we're EVEN.

I still think it's unlikely...but I can see it. And to ignore new evidence would make me no more than an AntiGordonite.

I still remember the wwhtc wometco cable boxes back in the 70,s .you put it between channels and you got the scrambled adult channels. Memories of my childhood. OK back to Gordon.

I still remember the wwhtc wometco cable boxes back in the 70,s .you put it between channels and you got the scrambled adult channels. Memories of my childhood. OK back to Gordon.
Ha! I had the same thing back in Brooklyn as a kid. Memories!

Did I mention I traded Gordon for a 1st? Feel similar to when I traded away McFadden 2 years ago.

Look, what makes a Gordonite a "Gordonite" is insisting that he was somehow going to play in light of a mountain of evidence to the contrary, and an easy, thoughtless switch from one argument to another.

"We don't know it's 16 games, we only have a thousand reports, you don't know for sure!" 16 game suspension confirmed. Okay but:

"The appeal is taking too long - the NFL is scared!" Gordon loses his appeal. Okay but:

"Gordon has the best lawyers in the galaxy, all he has to do is get an injunction, which is easy!" No appeal filed, Gordon starts selling cars. Okay but:

Etc.

This is a little different. The reports are that the NFL and NFLPA are negotiating a new policy. It seems like the NFL wants some give from the NFLPA, and the NFLPA, it's reasonable to assume, will want some things from the NFL.

NFL: We want HGH testing.

NFLPA: Fine, but you have to change how amphedemines are classified, AND we want to increase the marijuana threshold becase, you know, it's not 1950....

NFL: Fine! Sucker!

NFLPA: ...wasn't finished. We want any changes to be applied retroactively to the beginning of the (NFL season/calendar year/whatever).

NFL: No way! Gordon? Do you know how many ##### e-mails I got from fantasy nerds telling me that pot was legal in like six states. And if Welker doesn't take a few weeks off his brain is going to expl-

NFLPA: HEY! When you wanted to throw together a "Domestic Abuse" policy in like 24 hours, did I give you any flak?

NFL: Well, no, you were pretty accommodating on that, but -

NFLPA: You owe me one. Apply the changes retroactively, and we'll hammer this thing out before kickoff on Sunday.

NFL: Ugh, fine, but we're EVEN.

I still think it's unlikely...but I can see it. And to ignore new evidence would make me no more than an AntiGordonite.
I see where your heads at and I see it as a realistic convo/negotiation... Remember the in season concussion/spearing rules (James Harrison)

Maybe this happens... Would be pretty cool as a Gordon owner

The Gordon decision took an awfully long time. Some speculated that the NFL was trying to find a way to not suspend the superstar. It seemed plausible. This news makes it seem more obvious. The NFL knew they couldn't work around the positive test because that was clear. So the length of time was used to devise this sneaky plan. A plan where mid-season the rules change to allow superstars who party aren't suspended. It seems obvious to me.

Why the heck would this change Gordon's or others suspensions? It's like saying the speed limit was just raised to 80mph, so if anyone got a speeding ticket under 80mph within the last year they will have them ripped up. Pipe dream.

They going to go and change all the violations of every player in the substance abuse program if they tested lower than the new limit or for amphetamines?

It will be what policy was in effect when they violated.

Users who are viewing this thread