What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (9 Viewers)

Josh gonna eat.
I really see no reason to be loyal to the Browns. Signs a new contract nest Season, hopefully with a stellar young QB... Hopefully maybe DaBears, and we see at least two Seasons before like some ACL injury... The Man gonna be in my lineup though!

I really see no reason to be loyal to the Browns. Signs a new contract nest Season, hopefully with a stellar young QB... Hopefully maybe DaBears, and we see at least two Seasons before like some ACL injury... The Man gonna be in my lineup though!
Uhhhh...yes? No, wait...maybe? 

Actually...probably no.

i hope this is shtick. 

assuming he stays clean he has two more full seasons before he is an unrestricted free agent.  

it's been discussed quite a bit already.  

His honesty in the GQ article is a good sign. They say in AA that a person is only as sick as their secrets and that honesty is at the heart of recovery. Not saying he will be able to remain sober because it is a terrible disease. But the honesty is a sign that this time, Josh Gordon is trying to walk the walk.

I am not shocked by the people still taking the hype and bait. I have no faith in him that he will not make another mistake, none. GQ article and rehab, seen it all before, then...you guessed it, another relapse. Like clockwork. Its a disease people, you need will power to shake it and he has shown to have none.

I am not shocked by the people still taking the hype and bait. I have no faith in him that he will not make another mistake, none. GQ article and rehab, seen it all before, then...you guessed it, another relapse. Like clockwork. Its a disease people, you need will power to shake it and he has shown to have none.
In many leagues there is little risk involved with rostering him.  I AM shocked people still don't understand this considering the upside he does have in dynasty relative to what would be on your FA wire.  

I'm seeing him get dropped now in some redrafts...that makes sense, unless you have a real deep bench and are going to be a playoff team.  Maybe, just maybe, he can help in the end.  Again, little risk in many situations.

People can snooze if they want to snooze, mostly so they can come to places like this and say "I told you so".  If he straightens his life out, those people will disappear behind their keyboards.

I kinda miss some stuff. I just responded based on info listed under contract by "Roto" http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8282/josh-gordon   So I appreciate ya calling me out to help avoid confusion for others...
Right, he has millions of reasons to be loyal to the Browns.  And yes, he's had those reasons in the past also.  Seems like he's going about it the right way this time, but only time will tell.  As Joe Thomas said this week, the true test will be situations like guys going out after a Browns victory (ok, save the jokes everyone) or loss for a few drinks.  The temptations will begin now.

i hope this is shtick. 

assuming he stays clean he has two more full seasons before he is an unrestricted free agent.  

it's been discussed quite a bit already.  
I thought it was this year and next year before free agency (or would he only be a restricted free agent at that point)?

Wouldn't it be crazy if he tears it up and the Browns end up franchising him as they don't want to commit long term?

He was claimed in one of my leagues. He’s still a FA in the other.

I've got AJG, Tate, Marvin Jones, Ginn & Parker.

not really feeling the need to add Gordon, but he’s a good story (so far) and I’m rooting for him to not #### up what’s likely is very last NFL opportunity. 

Cleveland Browns‏Verified account @Browns

FollowFollow @Browns

More

"My goal is to be the best receiver of all time." - Josh Gordon

11:52 AM - 8 Nov 2017

FollowFollow @Browns

More

My goal is to sleep with as many supermodels as Leo DeCaprio.  Admittedly, Josh is closer to achieving his, but one key difference is that I can smoke a bowl, get caught and still have a chance. ;)  

Josh has quite a ways to go before he passes Jerry Rice. Maybe he should set more realistic goals, like "stay on the field" and "don't get suspended again". 

I thought it was this year and next year before free agency (or would he only be a restricted free agent at that point)?

Wouldn't it be crazy if he tears it up and the Browns end up franchising him as they don't want to commit long term?
the way Goodell structured his reinstatement he will not accrue another year towards FA this year.  

He's a free agent after this year.  Problem is it's Exclusive Rights Free Agent, which gives him even less control than RFA would.  Short story, he can be given a 1 year deal next year and there's nothing he can do about it, so he'll be RFA in 2019.  And then they can offer him another 1 year RFA tender.  Then he could get franchise tag in 2020.  And 2021.

Long story at https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/645846-baylor-wr-josh-gordon/?do=findComment&comment=20538075

He's unlikely to get a big RFA offer.  CLE can tender him for about $3M which means that anyone that does sign Gordon would have to give up a 1st for him.  I don't think anyone's going to do that by 2019.  At most he'll have had 5 games his year and all of next.  Will teams trust him with a monster contract and pay a 1st in the process?

If you have the room you pick him up.  You would hate to have your opponent scoop him and he goes 8/140 with 1 TD in the playoffs.  Worst case he doesn't play and you wasted roster spot.

These are the weeks you should be prepping for the playoffs and setting yourself up. 

I'm sure Gordon has been staying in shape but there obviously will be timing issues with QB/WR.  Josh Gordon is a special talent and I think if he is on the field that talent takes over

He's a free agent after this year.  Problem is it's Exclusive Rights Free Agent, which gives him even less control than RFA would.  Short story, he can be given a 1 year deal next year and there's nothing he can do about it, so he'll be RFA in 2019.  And then they can offer him another 1 year RFA tender.  Then he could get franchise tag in 2020.  And 2021.

Long story at https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/645846-baylor-wr-josh-gordon/?do=findComment&comment=20538075

He's unlikely to get a big RFA offer.  CLE can tender him for about $3M which means that anyone that does sign Gordon would have to give up a 1st for him.  I don't think anyone's going to do that by 2019.  At most he'll have had 5 games his year and all of next.  Will teams trust him with a monster contract and pay a 1st in the process?
The Browns view him as an asset that they acquired a long time ago. IMO, the Browns want him to succeed this year and stay clean thru the draft so whoever the GM is then can turn around and get something for him. Let that other team inherit the headaches.

Might only be a 3rd round pick. Or part of a package to move from top 2nd to late first. 

Just my opinion but I think the Browns want him to play well so they can sell him this offseason.

the way Goodell structured his reinstatement he will not accrue another year towards FA this year.  
Right, but he will next year.  Which will be his 4th year - the last of his rookie deal.  So he'll be a FA at the end of next year (roughly 1.5 NFL seasons away).

If you have the room you pick him up.  You would hate to have your opponent scoop him and he goes 8/140 with 1 TD in the playoffs.  Worst case he doesn't play and you wasted roster spot.

These are the weeks you should be prepping for the playoffs and setting yourself up. 

I'm sure Gordon has been staying in shape but there obviously will be timing issues with QB/WR.  Josh Gordon is a special talent and I think if he is on the field that talent takes over
Or you could let an opponent pick him up and post 2-15, 3-48, and 4-45 in the playoffs (see 2014) while your WR actually scores points.

Or you could let an opponent pick him up and post 2-15, 3-48, and 4-45 in the playoffs (see 2014) while your WR actually scores points.
Well said.

If I had the option to put Gordon in my lineup or my opponent's lineup, the choice would be easy: good luck, sucker!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Like reading how Bisping was going to knock GSP's head off his body...

"He hasn't fought in years, no one knows his shape, his hunger etc etc"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think beating addiction is about will power then you don't understand addiction.

It always amazes me how many people don't understand that will power is, at best, a finite resource (at worst it's an illusion and an excuse).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why you pick him up and hold, it doesn't hurt to wait and see what he does.  I'm guessing your in an 8 team league and talented players like Gordon are all over your WW

FollowFollow @Browns

More

Well that ship has sailed. Just being the best receiver on the Cleveland Browns will be good enough for now... for Cleveland.

Hard to imagine the production meeting the hype of his return this season. Just a horrible team on offense and I don't see a WR closing that gap. He can't throw it to himself.

I find it fascinating that by week 13 Cleveland will go from perhaps the worst WR corps in the NFL to one of the best. Probably won't amount to much fantasy wise with Kizer, no Joe Thomas and what appears to be a dysfunctional team in general but still it's impressive what an improvement the return Coleman and Gordon will make.

I find it fascinating that by week 13 Cleveland will go from perhaps the worst WR corps in the NFL to one of the best. Probably won't amount to much fantasy wise with Kizer, no Joe Thomas and what appears to be a dysfunctional team in general but still it's impressive what an improvement the return Coleman and Gordon will make.
How are a guy who hasn't played in years and a guy who's played like 5 games one of the top WR corps?

Exactly my thoughts.  You grab the guy up because he, talent wise was an elite WR when he was playing.

Unless your in an 8 team league there is nobody that has the talent or skills to dominate like he has in the past on the WW.  You pick him up and hold him hoping he steps in and makes a difference.  If he doesn't oh well, you took a chance on an elite player.  A chance you didn't give somebody else in the league to take.

Did a guy above just dispute beating addiction is about will power?

I find it fascinating and it always amazes me when people talk about addiction as if it is not about will power to shake it...clearly that person knows nothing about addiction. Its 100% will power, they dont make medicine to shake a drinking habit.

Put a line of ivory in front of someone addicted to coke, put a needle in front of someone addicted to shooting up, put a nice smooth bourbon in front of an alcoholic...tell me its not about will power. What pill do they make to fix that disease?

The fact that someone said that with such arrogance and certainty while it is 1000000000000% incorrect was amazing to witness. I hope others realize how they just denied that shaking addiction isnt about will power and use it towards judging their future opinions.

Can we focus on the fact that the best WR in football is back, instead of pretending we're addicitons counselors? 

Also, if you're poopooing on josh, in fantasy terms, it's cuz someone else in your league owns him. Facts. 

Can we focus on the fact that the best WR in football is back, instead of pretending we're addicitons counselors? 

Also, if you're poopooing on josh, in fantasy terms, it's cuz someone else in your league owns him. Facts. 
:lmao:

He was darn good at his peak. This though is a stretch for me. I don't think many ever thought of him as the best WR in football, even at his peak. I'm hoping though because I have hung onto this guy in quite a few leagues.

:lmao:

He was darn good at his peak. This though is a stretch for me. I don't think many ever thought of him as the best WR in football, even at his peak. I'm hoping though because I have hung onto this guy in quite a few leagues.
At his peak, Calvin was still playing.  He was definitely top 5 in talent, though.

87-1646-9 are historic numbers? 

That is a fine season, but historic?

1646 yards is 13th on the all time list which is impressive!

87 catches isn't in the top 200.

9 td isn't in the top 200 either.

I would say unquestionably 2013 was a very good season.

87-1646-9 are historic numbers? 

That is a fine season, but historic?

1646 yards is 13th on the all time list which is impressive!

87 catches isn't in the top 200.

9 td isn't in the top 200 either.

I would say unquestionably 2013 was a very good season.
It was historic, yes. 

It's not really a debate. He holds NFL records from that season

NFL records:

Most consecutive games, 200+ yards receiving: 2 (11/24/2013, 237 yards; 12/1/2013, 261 yards)

Most receiving yards, two-game span: 498 yards (11/24/2013, 237 yards; 12/1/2013, 261 yards)

Most receiving yards, three-game span: 649 yards (11/24/2013, 237 yards; 12/1/2013, 261 yards; 12/8/2013, 151 yards)

Most receiving yards, four-game span: 774 yards (11/17/2013, 125 yards; 11/24/2013, 237 yards; 12/1/2013, 261 yards; 12/8/2013, 151 yards)

I rode Gordon to the title in 2013. Remember, he missed the first two games. Projected over a 16 game season, he would have had 99 receptions, 1,881 yards and 10 TDs.

But what was historic and memorable from a fantasy standpoint was his six game run in Weeks 11 through 16: 45 receptions, 938 yards, and 6 TDs. That's an average of 7.5 receptions, 156 yards, and 1 TD per game! Or...21.6 fantasy points per game in standard. Pretty awesome!

Ahhh, the good ole' days. I'm not biting this year in re-draft. Situation in Cleveland is garbage. Ready and willing next year however.

WheelsUp said:
...they dont make medicine to shake a drinking habit.

Put a line of ivory in front of someone addicted to coke, put a needle in front of someone addicted to shooting up, put a nice smooth bourbon in front of an alcoholic... What pill do they make to fix that disease?
Not disputing at all what you have to say about the role of will power in beating addiction, but actually, they do make medicine for all that:

Alcohol: Disulfiram, Acamprosate

Cocaine: Gubapentin, Modafinil, Topiramate, Vigabatrin, Baclofen

Heroin: Methadone, Buprenorphine, Naloxone

Definitely not cures in and of themselves, but they have been proven to help addicts shake or counteract cravings, wean from the addictive substances, etc.

I think there's also more than just will power - it's about removing triggers (which can be people as well as emotional/physical/etc. cues) and also being in a place to want to help yourself get better as well.

My fear is that I am not sure Gordon has been in a situation yet where he truly wants to leave that behind. If millions of dollars and a pretty promising NFL career isn't going to motivate you, not sure what else there needs to be outside of truly hitting rock bottom with no other options left.

Users who are viewing this thread