What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (7 Viewers)

If there is really no drug issue involved and the Browns are trying to trade him, you gotta figure they won't let absolutely take a lesser offer from an NFC team unless an AFC blew the away with an offer.

Cowboys definitely make the most sense.

Maybe so but hard to believe something saying he was trying to outrun a drone at 45 MPH.
I'm a fan and defender of Gordon but I would not be at all surprised if he tried. 

Although there are a ton of NFL players I wouldn't be surprised to hear that tried to race a drone.

This is nuts. 

I just finished up my festival for the day/night, check the news and this? 

Wonder if this helps or hurts Tyrod Taylor’s outlook tomorrow.   :unsure:

I really hope this is a Cleveland Browns decision and not something deeper.

Drug demons are something not a lot of people will understand until you are fully ingrained in it.  I’m a functional drug addict myself and your mind can be your worst enemy at any given point in time.  Rooting for the guy, not for football reasons, but because life is much bigger than that and the struggle is absolutely real.  

This is nuts. 

Hurts. It can only hurt.

He could put up 500 yards & 5 TDs tomorrow and we would all know with absolute certainty that with Gordon it would have been 10,009 yards and 642TDs.

This is nuts. 

I think it actually might help.  All I've heard on local radio all week is how the guy never runs the right routes and this was before whatever happened yesterday.  He only had 3 targets last week.

Hurts. It can only hurt.

He could put up 500 yards & 5 TDs tomorrow and we would all know with absolute certainty that with Gordon it would have been 10,009 yards and 642TDs.
lol

while this topic has been a source of amusement, I do feel for 

• Browns fans - man, just every time things are looking up with Gordon, the rug gets pulled from under them. 

@Soulfly3 - for all the schtick, Soulfly is a FBG, and a Gordon fan. Never wanna see a brother suffer the slings & arrows of misfortune. And Soul’s suffered more than enough for any one player.

• Josh Gordon - i can’t help but have empathy for him. He seems like a good kid. Addiction & mental health are tough battles to fight. I really thought he was on the way back. He was a great story - but as with so many in his situation, he succumbed to his demons. 

It’s easy to blame Gordon - had it all, incredibly gifted athlete, pissed it away, etc. But I know folks who’ve lost everything due to personal demons & addiction. 

Regardless of how much he had or what he’s squandered, it’s not really my place to judge Josh Gordon. I do think it’s tragic though. I hope he gets the help he needs to become the human being he needs to become, because I hate seeing anyone struggle.

Browns now saying they suspected Gordon was using again. Just an awful situation. I have no scorn or ridicule for him. It’s hard to hate on someone for having a disease. :(  

I can only think of a few that were given this many chances.  Justin Blackmon got how many?  Ricky Williams?  Leonard Little was drunk and killed a women and only got an 8 game suspension.  Got busted for a DUI a few years later too.  So he wins the loser award I guess.

I get that we all want to reach for the low hanging fruit but let's remember that as of...oh #### am I really posting at this hour on Sunday? At any rate right now there is no failed drug test, and he's in perma-stage-3 of the NFL drug program so he gets tested all the time. 

I agree that drugs is the logical conclusion but it's not a slam dunk. 

He may actually end up on another team. And after what he did last year he could still be a viable WR3/4 in 2018.

:tinfoilhat:

He's subject to waivers, everyone is until they are vested veterans (4 accrued seasons, so anyone that's reached UFA status).  Media/people tend to use released/waived interchangeably when it's not entirely accurate.
Schefter is reporting he’s not subject to waivers because he is a vested veteran.

We all know where this winds up. It's sad. I spend months planning for FF, so you can say I'm invested in his recovery. He's on every one of my rosters. I pull for the guy. But that emoticon is the only one we need right now.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I to believe that it is actually a possibility that Gordon has not failed a drug test and the Browns just got tired of being concerned about his potential for a relapse AND THEN instead of trying to put out trade feelers under the radar and create a market for him they publicly announced they were going to release him on Monday and then let the bidding war begin? On a Saturday afternoon/evening?

I guess a bidding war is a bidding war but it seems odd that they would self impose a deadline and limit their options like that.
We’re still talking about the Browns right?

Schefter is reporting he’s not subject to waivers because he is a vested veteran.
No clue why he would be, vested veterans are those that have 4 accrued seasons, which would have also made him a UFA after last season and not the ERFA he's been widely publicized about being saddled with.  Unless there's an obscure provision of the CBA in play here (one was recently brought up to me about players for which the team gets a roster exemption) I don't see why this would be the case. 

No clue why he would be, vested veterans are those that have 4 accrued seasons, which would have also made him a UFA after last season and not the ERFA he's been widely publicized about being saddled with.  Unless there's an obscure provision of the CBA in play here (one was recently brought up to me about players for which the team gets a roster exemption) I don't see why this would be the case. 
This guys career the last few years has been an obscure provision. I'm not surprised that his FA situation is unclear. 

I did manage to have him on my roster for that magical run in 2013. Almost won the championship single handedly with him. Probably the last time anyone has him but that 2013 is why we all still chased the unicorn.

It seems like it would be in his best interest to retire from football and get out of the spotlight. Seek long term help and focus on his creative side (seems to have talent in that category).

There's going to be a rising tide of:

"Don't dance on someone's grave/this is an addiction/he needs help" yada yada yada.

We need to beat that down. For one thing, the Schadenfreude is directed at owners who held this dummy for FIVE years, or keep drafting him. Not towards Gordon. Well, there will be some people that will feel that way, but that'll be the usual ####heads. 

Cannabis is less addictive than sugar. He just didn't care enough about football, and maybe the millions he will never see. That's not a tragedy. It's a waste. Big deal. 

Gordon is not a tragic character. He's a dummy. He can go on and raise a family, maybe he'll be giving pep talks to high schools in a few years. Have a great life, no reason he can't.

So spare us the bleeding heart Behind the Music script. This story is about Gordon wasting good talent, and the owners who spent half a decade wasting resources on him.

It seems like it would be in his best interest to retire from football and get out of the spotlight. Seek long term help and focus on his creative side (seems to have talent in that category).
First, no matter how you cut it up, as far as Cleveland goes, it is a shame and a disappointment. 

However.

He is going to be traded.  According to Schefter, there are "at least" 5 teams that were immediately interested in trading for him.

We are all talking as if he failed a drug test, but he did not.  In the right structure, in the right situation (lets say, not a team that hasn't won in 2 years), Josh Gordon can still rebound.  As long as all this change doesn't result in a relapse.  

But I ain't cutting him off my roster just yet.  If he lands in, lets say NE, his boom side goes higher.  If he only runs two routes, then NE will only use him for two routes.  And they have the structure, discipline and accountability that he may need at this point of his rehabilitation.

Schefter is on now. 

First, no matter how you cut it up, as far as Cleveland goes, it is a shame and a disappointment. 

However.

He is going to be traded.  According to Schefter, there are "at least" 5 teams that were immediately interested in trading for him.

We are all talking as if he failed a drug test, but he did not.  In the right structure, in the right situation (lets say, not a team that hasn't won in 2 years), Josh Gordon can still rebound.  As long as all this change doesn't result in a relapse.  

But I ain't cutting him off my roster just yet.  If he lands in, lets say NE, his boom side goes higher.  If he only runs two routes, then NE will only use him for two routes.  And they have the structure, discipline and accountability that he may need at this point of his rehabilitation.

Schefter is on now. 
The hope of some Josh Gordon fans is some of the strongest hope in the world.

There's going to be a rising tide of:

"Don't dance on someone's grave/this is an addiction/he needs help" yada yada yada.

We need to beat that down. For one thing, the Schadenfreude is directed at owners who held this dummy for FIVE years, or keep drafting him. Not towards Gordon. Well, there will be some people that will feel that way, but that'll be the usual ####heads. 

Cannabis is less addictive than sugar. He just didn't care enough about football, and maybe the millions he will never see. That's not a tragedy. It's a waste. Big deal. 

Gordon is not a tragic character. He's a dummy. He can go on and raise a family, maybe he'll be giving pep talks to high schools in a few years. Have a great life, no reason he can't.

So spare us the bleeding heart Behind the Music script. This story is about Gordon wasting good talent, and the owners who spent half a decade wasting resources on him.
One, we don't know for sure what happened but it does not sound conclusively like it was drug or alcohol related.

If he injured himself filming a hype video, I can certainly understand CLE reaching a boiling point. But to announce plans to release him without even entertaining trade offers seems reactionary. Now that trade offers are coming in they're considering them. That tells me it was a knee jerk move.

Don't be surprised to see him suiting up for a new team at his rookie salary, ready to prove the world wrong, when his hamstring is healed. Thinking Philly would love to have him.

If the Browns cut him, it wasn't because of a hammy injury. 

They have more info than any of us. Let's assume there's more to the story, and we can assume it had to do with his past. 

He doesn't need tho fail a test for the team to know. 

I never took a test, and my mom knew.

Ok so after re-reading the CBA I think I agree with this.  If anyone is as OCD/anal retentive as I am wants to know why, just PM me so I don't bore the vast majority here, but it looks like Gordon would not be subject to waivers even though he's not UFA eligible.

One, we don't know for sure what happened but it does not sound conclusively like it was drug or alcohol related.

If he injured himself filming a hype video, I can certainly understand CLE reaching a boiling point. But to announce plans to release him without even entertaining trade offers seems reactionary. Now that trade offers are coming in they're considering them. That tells me it was a knee jerk move.

Don't be surprised to see him suiting up for a new team at his rookie salary, ready to prove the world wrong, when his hamstring is healed. Thinking Philly would love to have him.
???.

Five years of wasting time, now he's ready to make people PAY!

I'd give it a 7% chance he plays again this year. Maybe the Browns drew a line in the sand and he went over it and that's that. If he did report a hamstring issue on a Saturday that is a big deal because the Browns obviously had him in the game plan for the week. There is a chance this isn't drug related.

The problem is 1) This has to be non drug related 2) A team will have to be interested in taking on this drama 3) He would have to make the team 4) learn a new play book 5) Stay clean 6) Be healed from his hammy 7) Get to meetings on time........Eh! nevermind!

Good things it’s Josh Gordon with a hamstring injury. With most players we would be worried about it lingering all year, with Josh it’s just a reason to bump his projections
I am not saying to bump his projections.  Just not thinking he has no value either. 

Rationally, in the right structure, he can be a productive player with a high game to game ceiling.  If he goes to the Patriots, I am thinking he can fill a role and be productive.  If he goes to the Bills, I might be cutting bait also based on the situation alone.

Personally, I think the Browns had a game plan built to showcase Gordon and he let them down. And like a girlfriend that had "enough", the first reaction was to cut bait.  I don't think they thought about it.  

IMO Gordon will be traded before tomorrow night.  The question right now (to me) is where does he land?  And then do they have a discipline structure that help him or will he be in another Cleveland situation. 

But I am not overly emotional about the event.  Sure, it is disappointing.  But it may not be a total loss.     

Users who are viewing this thread