What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Moss maybe.
Moss was at the end.  He had flamed out multiple places.  He had bad seasons. He was humbled.  AB hasn't been humbled yet.  Because of that, I don't believe AB's ego is going to allow him to conform to strict structure in NE.   IMO. 

He burned his feet because he thought he knew better than the doctors that were treating him with the cryo therapy.  He created a distraction with the helmet because he thought he knew better than the league and refused to follow the new rules.  He fought with Mike Tomlin because of a lack of functional discipline to conform to all of the rules.  The same rules every other member of the team follows.  Especially during the season.

I see the beginning of the end as soon as NE takes away Twitter.  Once they take away the spotlight.  But I could be wrong.    

I can't see AB being a positive influence on JG with all of his stupid antics and crazy attitude.Hope Gordon just stays away from that clown in the locker room and outside football.

Josh Gordon caught 3-of-4 targets for 73 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 1 win over the Steelers.

Gordon had one of the better plays of the night for the Patriots, breaking two tackles on his 20-yard touchdown. His four targets were a little disappointing, but Gordon wasn't needed in a game the Patriots led throughout. Gordon ROS outlook takes a hit with Antonio Brown joining the Patriots, but he's still locked into a top-three role. He'll remain in the WR2 mix for a Week 2 matchup with Miami.

Sep 8, 2019, 11:52 PM ET

I'm still baffled at how he's not suspended.  Fail some drug tests in Cleveland and miss three seasons.  Fail your 32nd one and get a few games in NE.  🤷‍♂️

Also, I noticed Gordon cracking back on a block on a reverse that was obviously designed for him to level a DB last Sunday and it was reminiscent of what Gronk was doing in the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl. Just the positioning of the players was similar to Gronk's usage.

I really think Belichick has him dialed up as a hybrid right now, for at least the first four games, and possibly when Watson returns they'll run 12 personnel-type plays that they love to run.

My opinion: His fantasy outlook takes a downturn, his overall talent actually helping the club like a huge, huge Swiss Army knife. 

Very interesting look at Gordon's usage this past Sunday with comments about his obviously huge physique. It's something I alluded to in the Gronk thread, and the media has certainly noticed, too.

https://nesn.com/2019/09/patriots-steelers-film-review-is-josh-gordon-replacing-rob-gronkowski/
I posted several times over the summer that Gordon would run a lot of routes Gronk used to run. The issue for NE will be not having TE's to block in the running game. Michel got stuffed all night the other night.

I posted several times over the summer that Gordon would run a lot of routes Gronk used to run. The issue for NE will be not having TE's to block in the running game. Michel got stuffed all night the other night.
Cool. You're definitely up on NEP stuff, and even if we don't always agree, your observations are always welcome regarding the club. I just figured we could get away from all the stuff that surrounds Gordon and Brown and get down to football a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this good or bad for Gordon's prospects this year?

Is this good or bad for Gordon's prospects this year?
If he is on the field and running routes, that has to be a good thing. If he is on the field and blocking, that's probably not a good thing. I haven't seen him used too much as a blocker (although he did a few times the other night).

Cool. You're definitely up on NEP stuff, and even if we don't always agree, your observations are always welcome regarding the club. I just figured we could get away from all the stuff that surrounds Gordon and Brown and get down to football a bit.
I actually thought pre-Brown that NE would have Gordon and Thomas take on some of the routes that Gronk ran. Both are big bodied and hard to defend. That situation changed with the DT trade, so Gordon may see more of these type of routes. The deep play to Gordon down the middle against PIT was a play they had for Gronk.

I actually thought pre-Brown that NE would have Gordon and Thomas take on some of the routes that Gronk ran. Both are big bodied and hard to defend. That situation changed with the DT trade, so Gordon may see more of these type of routes. The deep play to Gordon down the middle against PIT was a play they had for Gronk.
Yeah, that's what the linked article said, IIRC. They're taking seam patterns designed for Gronk and having Gordon run them. Apparently he ran about 36% of his plays from the slot compared to 10% last year.

Something to think about for fantasy. Like you said, it depends whether they keep him into block or whether he runs routes that is the determinant factor. 

Yeesh. Leave it to Bellychick to turn Josh Flash Gordon into a TE.
To clarify, they had Gordon playing some in the slot. I don't believe they have any intention to have him line up on the line like a typical TE and have him serve as an added lineman to block.

To clarify, they had Gordon playing some in the slot. I don't believe they have any intention to have him line up on the line like a typical TE and have him serve as an added lineman to block.
I was kidding. Your earlier observations made that clear enough. Still funny to me that one of the best deep play WRs in the NFL is being primarily used this way. But slot action is better than no action. And it perhaps means there is still plenty of meat on the bone for Gordon even if Goodell lets Tony Clown play.

A moment of your time Mr. Kraft, 

-Gordon might have been lined up like Gronk and the 1st catch for a TD I would agree, and that was all him breaking ankle tackles and bouncing off defenders. His 2nd catch or the long wobbly duck Brady chucked from his own end zone, he just bounces off defenders that were unloading ball lodging tackles, but on Gordon they don't appear as bone jarring. Did Gronk go deep like that often? I do remember him occasionally running deep outside the numbers. 

I think folks will dismiss him and that's a mistake. If AB ever makes it on the field and I'm starting to think BB will pull the plug quicker than him cutting off reporters asking about..."No!" 

He was thrust on to the Pats last year and now he knows the playbook. His point in the trajectory of NFL lives, he is on another planet from AB and I'm not talking about skills on the field. Gordon has to follow the rules, he's a recovering addict and will be for the rest of his life, his next drink could literally be his last and while he is a massive risk for a relapse, the Patriots are not going to dial down his involvement in the offense IMO. Gordon appears like he must follow the rules or he risks not just his football career. 

Would like your thoughts on Dorsett especially if he continues to get a lot of snaps should AB hit the Commish list. 

If you had to project the next 3-4 weeks of box scores for Josh Gordon, would you see him as about  4-5 targets weekly or could that number rise if the other team put up a fight? Let's see...Miami this week, yeah that's gonna be a problem.  

A moment of your time Mr. Kraft, 

-Gordon might have been lined up like Gronk and the 1st catch for a TD I would agree, and that was all him breaking ankle tackles and bouncing off defenders. His 2nd catch or the long wobbly duck Brady chucked from his own end zone, he just bounces off defenders that were unloading ball lodging tackles, but on Gordon they don't appear as bone jarring. Did Gronk go deep like that often? I do remember him occasionally running deep outside the numbers. 

I think folks will dismiss him and that's a mistake. If AB ever makes it on the field and I'm starting to think BB will pull the plug quicker than him cutting off reporters asking about..."No!" 

He was thrust on to the Pats last year and now he knows the playbook. His point in the trajectory of NFL lives, he is on another planet from AB and I'm not talking about skills on the field. Gordon has to follow the rules, he's a recovering addict and will be for the rest of his life, his next drink could literally be his last and while he is a massive risk for a relapse, the Patriots are not going to dial down his involvement in the offense IMO. 

Would like your thoughts on Dorsett especially if he continues to get a lot of snaps should AB hit the Commish list. 

If you had to project the next 3-4 weeks of box scores for Josh Gordon, would you see him as about  4-5 targets weekly or could that number rise if the other team put up a fight? Let's see...Miami this week, yeah that's gonna be a problem.  
Yes, NE ran deep seam routes for Gronk all the time. 

As for AB, IMO BB is the one that wanted to pursue him so BB will be the last one to want to jettison him. The Krafts would have to intervene and tell Bill to pull the plug. I don't think Bill will vote Brown off the island.

It sounds like there are at least a couple of clauses in Brown's contract that would help NE's cause if they wanted to move on. I believe someone posted in the Brown thread a passage that gave NE outs and the ability to go after money paid to him. I also heard that the first part of his bonus money is not scheduled until next week. So if the Patriots opted to punt and cut him they would not be on the hook for anything as of yet. I cannot confirm or deny if any of that is true.

RE: Gordon. Sure, he could see more targets but my issue with him was that he was in the 12 target a game range in CLE his monster year and more like 6 last year in NE. I don't think that changes much on average but he may see a few more depending on the opponent, the coverage, and the game script. If he can stay on the field, maybe he would total 60-1000-6. That's around WR25 territory. Edelman should still be the target monster in this offense and they are still going to use White a lot. If Brown ends up sticking and playing a substantial amount of time, I think that will really sap targets from Gordon. BB doesn't care about your fantasy team, so if Gordon turned in a 50-850-4 season and the team kept winning they would be happy with that.

RE: Dorsett. He has the most to lose with Brown playing or not playing. Either way I don't expect him to be consistently fantasy relevant.Lost in the Steelers game is the concept that NE will still run the ball a lot and will likely be more effective than they were against PIT. That being said, without having any healthy TE's, they couldn't get enough blocking to get the run game going, so that may have to wait until Watson comes back. Bottom line, lots of weapons, lots of mouths to feed, only one football. Dorsett to me would be a bye week or injury replacement and hope his 3-4 catches are for big gains or a TD. But he could just as easily have 3 catches for 18 yards and no TD.

Eric Rowe will be covering Josh Gordon.  

For the record, that is going to be a disaster for Miami.  Gordon is several levels above Rowe skill wise.  

I'm thinking this could be a breakout game for Gordon.   maybe 4-6 rec.  125 yards 2 TDs. 

Good week to start every Patriot.  I feel like this could be a classic Pats pedal to the metal, run up the score, kinda game......Brady and Belichik have a losing record in Miami, so you know they salivating at the chance to feast on a joke of a phins defense that gave up 59 to the Ravens.

I agree with Hairy SM....I wouldn't be surprised if Gordon has like 7 for 120 and 2 TD's......should be like going against a practice squad.

Anyone thinking of making an aggressive trade offer for him in redraft? Feel like his value will go up big time if AB ends up getting let go, but at the same time he's going too be hard to trust if AB sticks around. I'm considering doing this in leagues where I've lost Tyreek Hill

Anyone thinking of making an aggressive trade offer for him in redraft? Feel like his value will go up big time if AB ends up getting let go, but at the same time he's going too be hard to trust if AB sticks around. I'm considering doing this in leagues where I've lost Tyreek Hill
I'm am.  Offered the Gordon owner the day of donuts from the break room.

Until Dunkin can offer hot doughnuts, they will never come close to KK.
I live in the Northeast and they tried launching KK locations up here. They bombed something fierce. There's only three remaining stores in New England. I don't get it. 1000% better than DD's. When I go to other parts of the country, I gorge.

I live in the Northeast and they tried launching KK locations up here. They bombed something fierce. There's only three remaining stores in New England. I don't get it. 1000% better than DD's. When I go to other parts of the country, I gorge.
A KK opening Austin is treated like a solar eclipse

The smell of Krispy Kremes cooking actually put pressure on a lot of zoning commissions in the Northeast to shut them down. They stank up the morning commute and the late evening drive. There is indeed such a thing as odor pollution compliance in densely populated areas and I think the steps necessary to fall within inoffensive levels of smell hurt the company. People did like them, but the weirdness and cult-like love of them needed to keep their businesses open and thriving in the Midwest was lacking in New England. 

No BS. 

The smell of Krispy Kremes cooking actually put pressure on a lot of zoning commissions in the Northeast to shut them down. They stank up the morning commute and the late evening drive. There is indeed such a thing as odor pollution compliance in densely populated areas and I think the steps necessary to fall within inoffensive levels of smell hurt the company. People did like them, but the weirdness and cult-like love of them needed to keep their businesses open and thriving  in the Midwest was lacking in New England. 

No BS. 
Interesting. TIL

I used to see a girl that went to college that was close to the Little Debbie corp. It smelled like pastries / cookies in the morning. 

Interesting. TIL

I used to see a girl that went to college that was close to the Little Debbie corp. It smelled like pastries / cookies in the morning. 
Yeah, you'd think that confections are a pleasant smell, like Little Italy areas are at night.

Truth is, it smells like hanging, dense cooked fat. It's thick and nasty. I lived in Little Italy in New Haven, CT. Nasty smell after two weeks of living there. It's like you need a shower to get out of it. 

krispy kreme stinks

joshua caleb gordon does not
FBG is talking some serious, serious smack about your boy in their projections. They're calling him a WR3/Flex only and saying he's not that fast anymore.

Striaght butter, and straight from the horse's boca de...

Dunkin Donuts French Crullers.  Fargin awesome.  Dunkin tends to be on the french pastry side of cooking IMO.  

Krispy Kremes are normally too heavy for me.  Like eating a super sweet hockey puck.   Krispy Kremes seem more of a German/Austrian version. 

And Dunkin has amazing coffee.  Winner. 

But I grew up in Chicago. Chicago is a DD town.  

Anarchy99 said:
It's because Dunkin' Donuts isn't a donut shop. It's a coffee shop where they sell donuts and other breakfast items.  The name Dunkin' isn't a person's name (Duncan). It is short for dunking. They used to sell a Q shaped plain donut instead of an O so you could use it as a handle while you dunked your donut in their delicious coffee.  This was obviously decades ago, before food was good and people knew how to fix cars and repair their own homes instead of today's skills like ordering delivery and dealing with our obesity.  People would sit in coffee shops and enjoy a donut with their coffee and dunk it in because there was no internet and nowhere better to  go. They'd buy a dozen donuts on sundays after church and wait in a huge line to do so. They'd bring a dozen donuts to work and be regarded as heroes for the day because they were active people and nobody was dieting to make up for their sedentary computer jobs.  

Then McDonald's popularized the egg mcmuffin and every breakfast place started offering egg sandwiches, and so on. People started getting fatter, especially as office jobs became the norm, and Dunkin offered plausible deniability with things like munchkins (donut holes can't have that many calories right?) And now nobody really buys donuts up here unless they have a promotion of some kind.  But we get coffee every morning, so much that there were Dunkin donuts drive thrus on the "going to work" side of the street and Dunkin walk in locations in every T station or city block or mall long before Starbucks arrived and tried to do the same. 

Krispy Kreme sells coffee, but they're marketed as a donut store first and foremost.  They might have a drive through, but they're competing with the local drive through Dunkin Donuts for coffee business because i don't want to make two stops.  Their donut might be good but that's not something we want up here.  We know we aren't supposed to have donuts.  We get a huge Dunkin coffee with the mandatory six scoops of sugar and six ounces of milk because hey that's just my morning Joe, and we get a bacon egg and cheese sandwich on a bagel instead of a donut because we've been convinced that it's real food instead of empty calories.  But stopping at a donut shop to get donuts is a rare treat,  the kind of thing you can't lie to yourself about because everybody knows donuts are bad for you. And while a fancy glazed donut with warm jizz on it sounds cool once in a while, we're used to the Boston kreme tasting like Boston and the jelly donut tasting like the right brand of jam and we know where to get it.  It was a novelty when they first opened but never something that enough people wanted on a regular basis to keep the popularity they have in other areas. 

Users who are viewing this thread